Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by pablo jaye »

Yea Why Not wrote:I can see this being a proper sh*t game finishing 0-0
I agree - it has all the ingredients for that doesn't it :lol: - top 2 teams, one unbeaten at home and the other unbeaten away, both not shy of bagging a few goals!!
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

Sort out the first ****ing post you mess, these should just get longed off.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Couple of questions:

1) How easy is it to get to from the train station?

2) Anyone got a spare? 8-)
Irish Iron

Post by Irish Iron »

Irish Iron wrote:We can lose this and keep our 2 point average, so on one hand I don't care but............
Simply Moore wrote:Surely to establish a 2 point per game average we would need to win this game? 21 from 11 played is one point off so far, an away win Tuesday would be 24 from 12, bang on 2pt per game average, or am I missing something :eh:
I'm **** at maths.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

I8CHAVS wrote:Sort out the first f***ing post you mess, these should just get longed off.
agreed, perhaps that's why they're looking for mods.

spent a couple of years working in Shirley just down from the Dell many moons ago, better days for them then and a small ground
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

sjb958 wrote:Anyone know if you can buy tickets at the ground in the home end for this one? (with the away end being sold out)
Spoke to a saints fan this morning, he said they are only selling tickets to people who have purchased tickets before on their database. For some reason they are expecting trouble (his words not mine)
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Couple of questions:

1) How easy is it to get to from the train station?

2) Anyone got a spare? 8-)
It's about a 25 minute walk from the train station, up the hill, past the Guildhall, through the park and then just follow the human traffic - failing that hop on a shuttle bus (if available) or in a taxi, won't set you back too much. I'll probably do the latter as my dad's coming along and he's 78, a bit of a yomp for him but otherwise it's a fairly straightforward walk for a healthy chap such as yourself!

Cannot wait for this, have got an Open University exam actually at Saints football ground tomorrow morning, so hoping for 70+ points from my first trip there tomorrow, just 3 will do from the second.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

WestHamByTheSea wrote:It's about a 25 minute walk from the train station, up the hill, past the Guildhall, through the park and then just follow the human traffic
Nice one cheers
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

James Tomkins and Matt Taylor are injury doubts for the Hammers ahead of the game.

Match preview - http://www.skysports.com/football/match ... 44,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Obviously only seen highlights of Southampton, but they appear to play good neat football and look a danger going forward, especially little passes just outside the 18 yard box creating chances. Should be a really good game and at this part of the season not much to choose between us. I do though think looking at their squad they will not keep it up where we have enough about us to sustain a challenge.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

I'd like to see lansbury play wide right, as hes got a bit more pace then collison and also a keen eye for goal....and as I honestly think Noble has been shocking this year I'd play Collison in the centre where he belongs.

P.S first post so go easy boys and girls
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

let yourself down with your first post fella :wink: ....Lansbury is never a winger, and Faubert has proven to be a great source of attacking quality this year so far. The issue is if Taylor is not fit to play, who goes wide left....
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

They do knock it about nicely, but I don't know how their defence will cope with our hoofball approach should Slender Sam decide to deploy those tactcs. 4-5-1 will find them out, I think.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

AMC1964 wrote:let yourself down with your first post fella :wink: ....Lansbury is never a winger, and Faubert has proven to be a great source of attacking quality this year so far. The issue is if Taylor is not fit to play, who goes wide left....
Lansburys played on the wing for the gooners? Why couldnt he for us? I like collison but hes not a winger, hes lost alot of pace since his injury. Rather see him sit in the middle and control play, as Noble just slows everything down.

Taylor didnt look injured to me against B'pool?

Also Diop must start, since hes played we have looked so solid in the centre of the park defensively, maybe he can teach Cole how to stay on his feet more?
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Puff Daddy wrote:They do knock it about nicely, but I don't know how their defence will cope with our hoofball approach should Slender Sam decide to deploy those tactcs. 4-5-1 will find them out, I think.
I watched Burnley outplay Southampton for 70 minutes using 4-4-2, only to switch to 4-5-1(due to injury) afterwhich SFC were in total control.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Hammerite wrote:Driving to this one, anyone local that can give some tips on where's best to park?
If I remember correctly they do a park and ride on match days.

I am sure it is all signposted. They run shuttle buses to the stadium.
Eric

Post by Eric »

This is from the Football Ground Guide:

Gavin Ellis a visiting Arsenal supporter informs me; 'There is a park and ride scheme in operation specifically for away supporters. This is situated just off junction 8 of the M27. The traffic in Southampton really made London look provincial, and I'd definitely not recommend people driving into the centre'. This facility costs £5 per vehicle.

John Josephs a visiting Newcastle supporter adds; 'After leaving the motorway at Junction 8 and heading towards Southampton, there are clear AA signs for the Visitors Park and Ride car park which is opposite a big Tesco superstore. I got there at about six which was two hours before kick-off. There were six buses waiting but hardly any supporters. Once there were enough people to fill half a bus it left. 15 minutes later and we were at the stadium. Afterwards the buses were waiting and although the police stop all cars after the match in a fairly wide area the buses can still leave. Ten minutes later we were back at the car park and within 5 minutes I was on the M27 heading home. The car park is well organised with really friendly stewards and bus supervisors. I can recommend this to anyone.'
shammy

Post by shammy »

Im sorry, am I missing something? We just beat Blackpool 4 zip so why would we change the team?
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

shammy wrote:Im sorry, am I missing something? We just beat Blackpool 4 zip so why would we change the team?
Apparently 4-4-2 is just too attacking nowadays to be used in away games :lol:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

shammy wrote:Im sorry, am I missing something? We just beat Blackpool 4 zip so why would we change the team?
Allardyce said because Southampton employ three in the middle of the park and he's not confident we could match them with just two of our own.