Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney farmer

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by cockney farmer »

Romford wrote:Well i thought both teams were cack...and it was a poor game for a top of the table clash.

The only way Southampton were going to score was with the tall fella dropping on either Faubert or Linda...and we weren't going to score with Baldock out on the right wing.

Without goals from set pieces (which we don't look like getting anymore)...we simply don't look like scoring in open play.

Some very odd subs...and odd positions.

BFS got it very wrong IMHO.

How is you got time to post shouldn't you be on a pony trek or hike in the forest :wink:
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

I haven't seen the goal yet, but looking at the paper today, is the Southampton player fouling our defender? Not making excuses but merely speaking out loud.

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote: We lack a midfield tickover player .Take the ball , move it on, take it back, move it on, take it back, move it on..........retaining possession , strangling the opposition by not giving them the ball .
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:
It isn't a simple as that though pinky, we could have iniesta but if we have poor movement and technical ability elsewhere who is he going to pass it to to tick things over. Take the ball, move it to nolan/faubert/diop et al, get a hospital ball back, lose the 40/60 challenge.
Of course it's not quite as simple as all that , but we lack patience - partly driven by our expectation as fans .We urge the players to get the ball forward , when it was blindingly obvious after the first 15 times we gave the ball away in under 4 passes last night we needed to take a step back, play a couple of square balls , retain possession - make them run around .

They were defending a proud record last night , and would have been desperate to win .I nkow it's a cliche, but you can't score without the ball, and our willingness to keep giving it to them was horrific .

I genuinely don't think they hurt us last night - we hurt ourselves .A lack of composure - dare I say it - a lack of leadership .For all his supposed qualities as skipper , when did he turn to the lads and say "just hang onto the ****ing ball " .
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

[quote="roblo"]The way they (southampton) controlled the ball at times, passing and moving, looking for the ball, was fantastic.

It's the way I believe we could play with Henri, Collisson and Noble on the pitch. It's too tempting to smash the ball up to Carew/Cole and hope for Baldock/Nolan to pick up the pieces.

On the day, beaten by the better team. Having said that, we hit the post & if Nolan had looped it over their 'keeper, we could be sitting here with a point gained. Onwards and upwards, gotta get at least a point at Brighton on Monday.[/quot

Just about sums it up for me too Roblo, still in second, frustrating at times, 3 at brighton would be great, 1pt is ok Early days yet, and they will lose soon, Cannot afford to be 5 pts behind for too long, still have the gut feeling we will be ok at xmas. 2nd hald of season is where the tough get going Onwards and downwrds towards Brighton, some great pubs there.(give us a kiss and i;ll tell you a couple).Lets keep it on the ground a lot more, with BFS, i aint so sure
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

cockney farmer wrote:

How is you got time to post shouldn't you be on a pony trek or hike in the forest :wink:
Im home...if i had another pint of Thatchers Ice Gold i will collapse
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

in my opinion we prepared for this game with the thought that taylor would last the whole match, but as soon as he had to be taken off we found out that sam made an error by failing to have a replacememt on the bench.

question would be though who do we use on the left instead of taylor, perhaps he could have used collison but maybe sam thought he was only going to be able to do 20 minutes at most, so decided to go 4-3-3 and use piq instead.

previously we could have tried bentley but he has gone now, so im scratching my head as to the left wing replacement if collison is not 100% match fit. I guess sam sees the solution as going 4-3-3?

I instead would have liked to have seen a 3-5-2, using McCartney to run the wing, Faye, Reid and Diop at the back, Faubert on the right, this keeps he who cannot be moved at the head of the central 3, with Noble and Lansbury completing the 5, seing as any other options are injured or not match fit.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

the pink palermo wrote: Not so sure .I think we were a touch apprenhensive that's all .I thought that when their stadium announcer made his schoolboy error- and if I was the Saints Manager I'd have him doing laps for a month - we latched onto it quickly with the "here for the West Ham" bit .

Why would any announcer ever give visitors credit like that ? Our Jeremy wouldn't do that would he ?
That is because Jeremy isn't an absolute prat.

That stadium announcer seemed as if he was auditioning for Soccer AM or some other poor football show.

Just got my Big Sam email through, lets have a little read
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

the pink palermo wrote:..............in other words we have a team filled with bit's and pieces players .
That's the league in general though, isn't it...?

The reason these games are generally so tight and can go either way is because there are no outstanding individuals or match winners in this division. Most games come down to a rick here or a bobble there. It's why I'd have Montano back in the squad now. I genuinely think he's the closest we've got to a 'game changer'....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

MM

I agree . :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Just deleted Sams email without reading it *sigh*
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

I'd also like to applaud the home support. Thought they were good to be fair to them.

Southampton didnt play that well but at least they attempted too. We're a pub team at times, having to go forward at all costs. The players are balantly being coached this way.

Piq didnt know where he was playing when he came on and one can only assume that whatever instrcutions he was given werent clear. Aside from that it was a ****ing stupid sub to make, crying out for JC. Baldrick was again impressive and his contribution to the team is fantastic but he must have played in 5 different positions last night. He did it with the minimum amount of fus and ust got on it with it..... fair play fella :thup:

Chasing the game and you bring Joey on for the Norweign log, Faubert was supposed to hang out wider but seemed to be playing more inside. Regardless of the strange subs and approach to the game, on paper we have the better side (No disrespect to the Saints) but so little guile going forward.

Its a strange feeling being 2nd in the league and being completely unsatisfied. A few years ago I went out with my fantasty shag and its wasnt as I expected. I'm drawing the same comparrsions of unfufilment at the moment.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Just deleted Sams email without reading it *sigh*
Snap :lol:

I have a seaon ticket, i dont need to be reminded I can buy tickets to our next games....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

The Sherriff wrote:Its a strange feeling being 2nd in the league and being completely unsatisfied.
Somone started a thread to that effect a few weeks ago after we had won .They got slaughtered for it .
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Thatchers gold. Aldi selling it now, in Southampton and selected stores :raver:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Romford Iron wrote:I haven't seen the goal yet, but looking at the paper today, is the Southampton player fouling our defender? Not making excuses but merely speaking out loud.

Looks to me like two Southampton players are fouling two of our defenders in that photo. Look more carefully and and there is an arm around another of our defenders chest, preventing him from jumping up. I have always said, our players need to get a bit more savvy and play the ref a bit more. You never see any of them harrangue the ref like some teams do and I think it is about time we did. Our two defenders should have milked that situation and gone to ground, or something like that and then, en masse surrounded the ref and try to get the goal ruled out.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

The Sherriff wrote:I'd also like to applaud the home support. Thought they were good to be fair to them.

Southampton didnt play that well but at least they attempted too. We're a pub team at times, having to go forward at all costs. The players are balantly being coached this way.

Piq didnt know where he was playing when he came on and one can only assume that whatever instrcutions he was given werent clear. Aside from that it was a f***ing stupid sub to make, crying out for JC. Baldrick was again impressive and his contribution to the team is fantastic but he must have played in 5 different positions last night. He did it with the minimum amount of fus and ust got on it with it..... fair play fella :thup:

Chasing the game and you bring Joey on for the Norweign log, Faubert was supposed to hang out wider but seemed to be playing more inside. Regardless of the strange subs and approach to the game, on paper we have the better side (No disrespect to the Saints) but so little guile going forward.

Its a strange feeling being 2nd in the league and being completely unsatisfied. A few years ago I went out with my fantasty shag and its wasnt as I expected. I'm drawing the same comparrsions of unfufilment at the moment.

billposters bucket?
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

the pink palermo wrote: Somone started a thread to that effect a few weeks ago after we had won .They got slaughtered for it .
Thing is Pinky, its not about winning at all costs .... ala Jose style,

I'm not enjoying this season as much as what I thought I would. BFS made all the right noises before the campaign but we have defaulted massively.

Those I go with home and away are of the same feeling, some very critical of Sam. There is little defence for our style of play at times, I know we're 2nd but it sort of goes against everythig I believe in the beautfiul game.Those that dont pay for it will defend our league position but I cant help feeling that certain games this season have papered over the cracks. The personnel is strong, whether its being utilised to its full strength is another matter.

I can handle getting relegated and losing, but I take immense pride in our home grown talent and being purveyors of fine football.

Its not a bed of roses at the moment, next monday night will be interesting for sure. Live on Sky - if we play like what we have the majority of the time this season it will come as a bit of a shock to some that may not have the benefit of watching us so regulary.

Bottom line is that there is no excuse to play so much hoof-ball ... especially with our squad. 12 games in now .... 1/4 of the season gone ..... for me I'm allowed to start making judgements and I'm not entirely convinced by what I've seen.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i agree Sherriff.

results at all costs is not a good way i think, not one that i like anyway.
not to mention that if we get promoted playing like that, we'll be in pole position to get straight back.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Sherriff , you're pushing at an open door here my friend , but my only question mark is whether it is all down to Sam .

Good players really shouldn't need to be told to change tactics that are obviously not working , and if it is all down to Sam's tactics, how much of it is determined by the players capabilties ?

Anyone that has ever read one of my posts will know I am madly, truly, deeply in love with Mark Noble, but as good as he is at trying to pass the ball forward , he has no pace - and no change of pace .Nolan, an Allardyce recruit I think has good positional discipline , but can't pass for toffee .

My little posse of 5 last night - all with a 1000 or so games under their belt were not best pleased with our play last night .We were asking ourselves why we get 2 or 3 different West Ham's turning up these days .The way Sam moved players around last night must have confused them - I know it confused me .Strangely before Ko I had said to Geoff the beer he would see a display of Total Football - loads of interchanging of positions - well we got it , but not in the Rinus Michels sense .

For the first time this season we looked a shambles last night .Of course it was the first game we had started without any home grown talent .
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think reflecting on yesterday, we were deserving of a point because of the chances we created. We didn't play particularly well but this team can certainly create chances. But i really don't like Allardyce theory of constantly pumping the ball in to Carew because a chance will eventually come our way if it bounces in the box. It would be nice to play some football from time to time, yesterday the back four were hitting long balls without even looking at who was available. We were far too predictable yesterday and the long haired centre back for Southampton seemed to deal with everything fairly comfortably. Carew had a tough night, he was getting marked by 2 (like Cole v Palace) and getting pushed around a bit.
I cant believe we had Piq and Baldock on at the same time as Carew and they never really got on the end of any flick ons or played close enough to him. Everything was disjointed and when Taylor went off i don't think anyone truly understood their role. Lansbury was horrendous, i don't think he put one pass together, Piq was a blend of not knowing where he was playing and not particularly interested. We looked a lot better when Noble come on as we actually kept the ball, i would have liked to see Collison play a bit as well as Lansbury just wasn't having a good night at all.
The goal was pretty disappointing to concede, especially seeing Diop get beaten. He is massive, and was in front of the player...just very poor. I think if we get the ball down a bit more and play some football on the deck we will see some better performances. We are knocking high balls from defence which can certainly work, but we are constantly playing over our midfield who can do some damage on the ball as well.