Brighton 0 West Ham Utd 1 (24/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Re: Brighton v West Ham United match thread

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Nacho Man wrote: Wait.. so your telling me we haven't actually got any perfect players in our squad!! Well I never!! :lol:
It appears it's what some expect to have.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I really do find it amazing how some people get hold of tickets for these games...

Anyone who has worked for WHUFC for the past ten years must of blagged a ticket from the club

The Scandanvian Hammers had 30+ tickets

and i saw so many people i hadn't seen for donkeys at an away game....at a game that you had to have at least 6 points for.

Now i don't mind people blagging tickets...but whats the point of having a Priority Point system when half the allocation is gone before the tickets go out to fans.

I know plenty of people who couldn't get a ticket...who have already done a couple of aways this season.

Reminds me back to the Oldham away semi...and the famous 500 seat allocation that went within 13 punters.
JimJams

Post by JimJams »

Dannyboylister wrote:
Apart from this guy:-

"What are you goons talking about? They had the sort of nous and know-how that we lack, they got the lead and they defended it. They were never troubled, and they are probably the best team in the league. Anyone who couldn't appreciate how well they stifled us as a team, and the game as a whole, needs to open their eyes, or learn a couple of things about football. They were by far the better team. Maybe not the better team to watch, but that's completely irrelevant if you lose."
A man who noticed we played boring football, but appreciated how well we played that boring football :thup:
joyful

Post by joyful »

joyful wrote:
and general shittiness of Faubert.

Hayden wrote
I love these little gems...

First match this season?
Sorry Hayden, but no. Season ticket holder for several years and regular away attendee. so the snide comment was way wide of the mark. If you spent as much time as I do on these boards you would know that usually I support Faubert and have advocated him being played as a right mid for some time. But last night he was awful -- uninvolved, drifting in and not able to do things I know he can do. Sam should have spotted he was having a bad day at the office and hoiked him, particularly after the yellow.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

joyful wrote:Sam should have spotted he was having a bad day at the office and hoiked him, particularly after the yellow.
Not always as easy as that though, joy...

Keeping a player on, even if he is playing below par, can be beneficial to the team as a whole and, in our case last night, to the shape and width of the team.

Perhaps you could argue that Sears done well and should have come on for Faubert earlier, but perhaps Allardyce saw more in Faubert's movement, defensive play than perhaps we did and/or noticed that Diop was struggling.

Faubert had his poorest game for us last night, for quite a while.

It's a phrase I don't mind saying, however.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Faubert has been toilet since he arrived, may have improved slightly this season but still inherently sh*t. Cant tackle, pass, head or shoot, seems insistent on crossing the ball as soon as he recieves it, which either hits the first man or goes out of play. I feel sorry for any RB behind him as you will not recieve any cover, shall I go on?
Oh sorry I forgot 1 cross in 10 is an absoulute peach!
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Sears done well when he came on, injected some pace and opened the game up a bit more.

Piq still looks lazy to me.
joyful

Post by joyful »

rars wrote
Faubert had his poorest game for us last night, for quite a while.

is probably how I should have phrased it, oh master of words!
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

joyful wrote:Sorry Hayden, but no. Season ticket holder for several years and regular away attendee. so the snide comment was way wide of the mark. If you spent as much time as I do on these boards you would know that usually I support Faubert and have advocated him being played as a right mid for some time. But last night he was awful -- uninvolved, drifting in and not able to do things I know he can do. Sam should have spotted he was having a bad day at the office and hoiked him, particularly after the yellow.
I apologise for the snide comment, I think I misunderstood. When you said general shittiness of Faubert I thought you were implying he has been **** in every match... I assume now you meant general shittiness throughout the match? In which case, yes he had a pretty terrible match last night.

Apologies - I've seen more than a few posts stating how bad Faubert is based solely on his history, when I think he has been a pleasant surprise this season.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Their performance reminded me of ours against Birmingham at home in the league last year
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Their performance reminded me of ours against Birmingham at home in the league last year
Or every time we've played Everton at home for at least the last 10 seasons!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Why, when I'm criticising Mark Noble for some of his play, do you bring up other players?

I don't care about them. Noble has been better than Nolan this season. This is not the point.

But not when done on auto-pilot, without thinking, completely disregarding the current positioning of players and the passage of play, thus giving the ball away, it isn't.
That of course applies to all players, not just Noble .

First half last night, Noble was in possession 32 times, and gave the ball away on 8 occasions .Nolan was on the ball 18 times, and gave the ball away 5 times .
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

We look infinitely better with Noble. He never bottles tackles, he always wants the ball and he has the vision to play incisive passes.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote: First half last night, Noble was in possession 32 times, and gave the ball away on 8 occasions .Nolan was on the ball 18 times, and gave the ball away 5 times .
Just out of interest, do you know how many passes we made in the 2nd half? And how many passes we managed to strong together in one move in the 2nd half?

I would honestly love to know the answer to those questions
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Romford wrote:I really do find it amazing how some people get hold of tickets for these games...

i saw so many people i hadn't seen for donkeys at an away game....at a game that you had to have at least 6 points for.

Now i don't mind people blagging tickets...but whats the point of having a Priority Point system when half the allocation is gone before the tickets go out to fans.

I know plenty of people who couldn't get a ticket...who have already done a couple of aways this season.
Explains why you were wandering around with your clip board doing a roll call . :lol:

Loads there last night who had blagged tickets off their mates who had enough points - you were speaking with a couple that had done that at half time .I think the change from Saturday to Monday may have encouraged a bit of swapsys .

the pink palermo wrote:That of course applies to all players, not just Noble .

First half last night, Noble was in possession 32 times, and gave the ball away on 8 occasions .Nolan was on the ball 18 times, and gave the ball away 5 times .
So the f*** what?

I'm talking about Mark Noble and why he is stupid, like I have done over 5 years.

I don't care if you're trying to defend Noble, that's fine, but all you're doing here is turning things into a Kevin Nolan witch hunt.

I bet you any dollar that most of Mark Noble's 25% failure rate last night was due to stupidity, rather than lack of ability/getting caught on the ball.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Of course, you're completely right.

But, Faubert (who is not exempt from this particular critisism) was clearly standing in an offside position, 2 yards away, yet Mark Noble still gave him the ball.

I mean, come on, potential ability to play nice 30 yard passes to better teammates or not, does that strike you as a particularly intelligent thing to do? :lol:
RARS we may be thinking about different cases, the one i saw was Noble to Faubert who gave him the ball straight back first time. No time to move away from the corner flag and Noble was ruled offside. Been out all day so this may have been cleared up already.

Would agree with your point on modern footballers though, we have a few that don't seem to have even the basic understanding of the game, it is as if they never played as kids and picked up the knowledge. I would include Faubert in this, he is the least football aware footballer i have ever seen.

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Been out all day so this may have been cleared up already.
It has and I was wrong :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the pink palermo wrote:That of course applies to all players, not just Noble .

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
So the f*** what?

I'm talking about Mark Noble and why he is stupid, like I have done over 5 years.

I don't care if you're trying to defend Noble, that's fine, but all you're doing here is turning things into a Kevin Nolan witch hunt.

I bet you any dollar that most of Mark Noble's 25% failure rate last night was due to stupidity, rather than lack of ability/getting caught on the ball.
Not last night .The inability of the receiver to control the ball was the primary culprit , but in my view the passes were there to be made, and were made .Nolan , as we both know, does a different job for the team , but I've put his stats against Nobles' to demonstrate that if Noble isn't playing , what another midfielder brings to the party .

Quite simply , if Noble doesn't play , we have nobody in central midfield that can actually pass the ball , or even tries to do so - it's not their game .

It's why we played so much hoofball against Saints .

Noble, has to start . The same does not apply to Nolan .It's not a witchunt , it's common sense .He's the only ever present in a misfiring midfield , one in which the Manager has tried every other combination .We need Nobles passing , what part of Nolans game would we miss ?
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

West Ham Matt wrote:We look infinitely better with Noble. He never bottles tackles, he always wants the ball and he has the vision to play incisive passes.
I agree, the shape of the Central 3 is seemingly the best we've got with him in it too, with Diop & Nolan aswell..