West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DICAN10

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by DICAN10 »

swash wrote:I reckon Dioufy would have unlocked their defence :wink:
rather not go up than have that **** draped in claret and blue
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Tricky situation with Nolan, hard to disagree that he hasn't been the player we thought we had signed, but Gold was only waxing lyrical about his importance to the club in the Leicester programme the other day, and the memories of our rudderless performances with Upson supposedly leading are still far too fresh in the memory and I can't see another obvious leader on the pitch just now
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

jaybs wrote:It was Boring
I've seen much, much worse this season
moorobear

Post by moorobear »

I 100% agree with Big Sams assessment of the game - We created more than enough chances to win the game but didnt take them.

Piq didnt have a bad game by any stretch, but of course we need a scapegoat when we dont win right?

The boo's at HT were embaressing, is this what happens now, if we are not winning then we boo?

Another day we could have won 3 / 4 - 0 but hey ho, on to Hull.

PS - EHD is better than Sears!!!!!!!!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

moorobear wrote: PS - EHD is better than Sears!!!!!!!!
No he isn't .

Sears conducts himself professionally and is a credit to his club and team mates .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

^ Correct
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Same problem we've had for 3 seasons really isnt it. no PACE and no GUILE.
In fairness I think the Reid substitution restricted BFS's options later in the game on the offensive side and after the cardiff and Ipswich games it was pretty obvious he'd opt for Papa in the closing stages.
An off night for sure, especially in the shooting boots category but I have to laugh at those saying we cant beat teams that come and park the bus and yet also say our 'open style' leaves us vulnerable a la Cardiff/Ipswich/leeds. Truth is we lacked a goal last night thats all - which takes me right back to my opening line.

I do think BFS needs to be more decisive as to what his preferred striking option is because I dont bloody know and neither do the players I suspect. This is not breeding competition, its breeding a lack of understanding and partnership building.

Anyone thinking Hull will be a doddle needs a sharp prod in the jacksy - get in line behind BFS please.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

moorobear wrote: PS - EHD is better than Sears!!!!!!!!
Really ? So ? And ? Give a ****..
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

moorobear wrote: EHD is better than Sears!!!!!!!!
Headbanger
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Anyone thinking Hull will be a doddle needs a sharp prod in the jacksy - get in line behind BFS please.
I'm going to Hull and was really looking forward to it until last nights display, got a feeling it will be a tough game for us up there.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I don't think we created many real clear cut chances though Big Sam! Yes, we created lots of half chances but Jameo has not really pulled off a string of world class saves has he??

They came with a game plan and stuck to it well, credit to their new gaffa as they did not look like a side who ship goals left right and center.
Yeah we can say it would have been a different game had Sears chance creeped in... but it didn't and it wasn't. Even that one was hit from outside the box through two defenders and we failed to follow up the chance (something which teams to very well against us, watch most of the goals we have shipped at home!).

For me, the only thing the stats prove is that our final ball was not good enough to break down a well organised defensive team, and that is something we really need to work on at home.

Looking at the bigger picture though, we are 2nd in the table with a little bit of daylight, we have 4 or 5 influential players to come back into the squad (I personally think Lansbury Collison or Taylor - in particular Taylor - would have made a huge difference to our final ball last night) and a squad which is largely made up from new faces is starting to get a feel for each other.

Things really are not all that bad. It was never going to be easy at this level.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

I thought that the only thing that was missing last night was a cutting edge up front.
We had 19 shots on goal and dominated.
On another day it could have easily been 4-0.
I'd be worried if were not creating chances.
We will take 3 points at Hull and put us right back on track.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I think as a one-off event it's nothing to gripe about - we drew a match and remain in second place. Cool. Pull up our socks and do better next time.

What IS starting to be a concern is how deep we are into the season without hitting our straps. We've dished out a couple of hidings, sure, but even if you take the game against Forest I thought at the time 'great result, average performance'.
moorobear

Post by moorobear »

paulhs1 wrote:I thought that the only thing that was missing last night was a cutting edge up front.
Bang on
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Up the Junction wrote: Absolutely.

You may remember this one - it finished 1-0, the winners had 4 shots to the losers' 30:

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perfect example, when we've been smashed to pieces and nick a win it's a great result but when it happens to us the manager is a **** and every decision is disected.

I'm not fond of cliches but games like the Arsenal one are what make football so beautiful.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

B*stard bloody manager 3/4's of the way through my detailed match report and he calls me in a meeting. Now its lost and cant be bothered to type it all out again.

Poor performance in final third of the pitch, very frustrating.

FS bizarre subs. I was actually quite impressed with Baldocks movement and a if played with a decent playmaker would of been in on goal a few times. Was shocked when Diop came on, game was all set for a Hall winner. The lad must have some confidence at the moment.

Boo boys are idiots, apart from booing those two mugs at half time.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

moorobear wrote:PS - EHD is better than Sears!!!!!!!!
He is indeed.
When it comes to gobbing at our fans....
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

It was a frustrating game - not one where we were appalling. Could have gone 1-0 either way.

There were a lot of so-so performnaces (Nolan, Sears, Piq, O'Brien, McCartney) - not absolute stinkers, but with a fair sprinkling of mistakes in possession especially, and errors of judgement.

The two players who really were poor from my view were Baldock and Cole.

Nothing wrong with Noble's set plays - all in the right place, most won by Tomkins - but the vast hordes of Bristol defenders frequently mopped up the 2nd ball....

Faubert, one ballooned cross apart, was easily our best outlet creatively. Faye and Tomkins were good and some of Tomkins distribution was superb.

Allardyce was perfectly right to take Baldock off (he gave the kind of performance that Sears gets slated for - the booing reflected crowd favouritism rather than performance) - but the decision to put Diop on for Sears narrowed the team too much and created hoof ball. Piq was doing pretty well in build up in the 2nd half but seemed unsure of his role when Cole came on. The bloke desperately needs a goal.

Oh....Nicky Maynard was absolute toilet....and David James got a well deserved positive reception from the crowd.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Even thought Baldock wasn't firing on all cylinders I thought he was our most likely to score.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

paulhs1 wrote:I thought that the only thing that was missing last night was a cutting edge up front.
Not many of them were real clear cut chances that had you turning to your mate and saying 'he don't often miss them' or 'what a great save' or 'how unlucky are we here?'.
Noble at the end maybe? Sears possibly?

We failed to get any real quality service into Balldock and Piquionne and our delivery from set plays without Taylor in the side is really poor.

I agree it is nothing to panic about, but mainly because we look solid in defense and have the likes of Taylor, Lansbury, Collison, Cole and Carew who can all come into the squad after the international break.