West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 927 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by hammer1975 »

hammer1975 wrote: Loads of shouts for sears to start after a decent cameo when he was c***ed off no end after the Cardiff game so no doubt it'll happen again the next time he has a quiet game.
from page 5

so predictable

:asleep:

had a little chuckle at the posts saying if collison had played we would have had the creativity and guile to break them down

the important thing from the game last night is to learn from it and be better prepared next time as there will be a few more teams parking the bus at the boleyn imo. sure the team can watch the game back and sam can advise some options chosen were not the best - thought we looked like we panicked on the ball too early in the 2nd half personally for example

i still hate rotation and think it hurts more than it benefits when we're on a run but that's just me being a bit of a dinosaur!
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

The Moth wrote: Do any of you fellas who went to the game agree with Allardyces comments?

pretty much yeah.

maybe we werent as fantastic as he makes out, but im all for him bigging up his team.

baldock wasnt in the game.

and bristol city may be at the bottom, but they have a new manager and were very well organised, that seems to have been forgotten
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

:thup:

I agree it's good to have a manager back the team in the media , to a certain degree. I find his comments on Baldock strange though, openly says "he wasn't with it today" , wonder what he would have said about Nolans peformance if asked?

Did Piqiounne do enough to warrant his a place in our squad?
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 505 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Maybe its our time to be jammy!

Look at Derby and Leeds at home tonight FFS :shock:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Moth

Totally agree

:shock:

One thing that I might have mentioned once or twice is that players have had criticism levelled at them, been dropped, rotated, but one things is constant ~ no mention of Nolan, and not one second of football lost. Not one.

Defies logic.

If I am a player in this side I gotta wonder if he has polaroids of BFS stashed somewhere.....
dimagician10

Post by dimagician10 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: When we last played in the Fizzy Pop we struggled against teams who came and parked the bus. Other teams will take heart from City's performance last night and do the same. Be prepared for a long season unless we find a way to unlock defences. Either go wide (which we seemed to be doing early doors) or get behind them. Now if the opponent plays very deep we need to get to the by line and get crosses in from there. Tough when you play a right footed left winger who really isn't a winger. Although it was only the radio, it seemed very reminiscent of Bentley playing wide left, Sears had to cut back to his right which usually gives the defender an edge.

We have had no midfield creativity since Yossi left. As for waiting for us to have a 3-4 goals margin before Hall comes on, he might as well not bother showing up. Won't be too many 3 and 4 nil drubbings this side of Christmas I reckon. And I know I am harping on it but playing Nolan in a 4 man midfield is a recipe for disaster.

Subbing Diop was a certainty as BFS said a week or so back when we gave up another late goal "I won't being doing that again any time soon." (I paraphrased). He's not going to throw away 3 points when he has 1 and might nick 3. Get used to it.
When Diop came on it released Noble to be more forward minded. Ironically, Diop's first half a dozen touches were all forward (completed) passes. I thought Nolan did ok too. Kept things simple. Had one great chance but fluffed his lines (along with everyone else.) Baldock wasn't a threat in the 2nd half - Piq played deeper than Carew would and with Bristol City being so deep he had very little space to work in.

The lack of a 2nd wide midfield player with a left foot is a problem. As is the lack of genuine pace. It means everyone else has to work harder. No real guile anywhere in the team. However, 20+ crosses and 10 shots on target should have resulted with a goal or two.

One of them nights.

Also, i understand that Carew had a knock on his knee (but is hopeful for Saturday.)

Yossi? sigh... now there is a player...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Judging by the radio and reports elsewhere Bristol played pretty deep. Then that should have allowed someone to work "in the hole" in the space between the defenders and the midfield. Unless of course the midfield were playing deep too.

I know we need a bit of pace and a wide left player, but........someone who could play that telling pass or beat a defender or draw a foul or penalty. We have been crying out for one of those players for years now (as have a lot of teams). Noble can do it, not like a truly creative midfielder but I think Diop and Noble with two wide and Baldock off the front man. Leaves no room for Nolan but sorry that's how I see it. Nolan has chipped in with a few goals but how many has he created ? I know he isn't a creative midfield player but Shirley he could develop a knack of nice little one-twos on the edge of the box .........slot a ball in. Maybe he does and it goes unnoticed.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: I know we need a bit of pace and a wide left player, but........someone who could play that telling pass or beat a defender or draw a foul or penalty. We have been crying out for one of those players for years now (as have a lot of teams). .

You mean someone like Lansbury?
Or Bentley?

We've done bloody well to pick up the points we have done recently with so many injuries. Its a shame the manager isnt given any credit whatsoever for getting on with things and not bleating Redknapp style to the press about being down to bare bones and moaning about not being given funds...........
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I'm not sure how any of the above justifies Tommo or whoever lumping the ball 50 yards every time they get it. For the first time the crowd around me were going 'Hoof' and there was a muted 'You can stick your long ball up your arse' which threatened to grow.

It's very strange but we seem to have one exciting game followed by one dire one. I still think BFS is going schizo.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

RM6

Post by RM6 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Noble can do it, not like a truly creative midfielder but I think Diop and Noble with two wide and Baldock off the front man. Leaves no room for Nolan but sorry that's how I see it. Nolan has chipped in with a few goals but how many has he created ? I know he isn't a creative midfield player but Shirley he could develop a knack of nice little one-twos on the edge of the box .........slot a ball in. Maybe he does and it goes unnoticed.
I think Noble's passing has always been better than he's given credit for. He's no Paul Scholes but I've seen some very clever short passing in the final third from Noble over the years. I'd like to see him in a more advanced postion at this level for a while.

Maybe Collison and Diop behind Noble, as Collison seems to have more mobility than Noble from deeper positions and I have to admit Nobles tackling around the box scares the sh*t out of me at times.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

RM6 wrote:I think Noble's passing has always been better than he's given credit for. He's no Paul Scholes but I've seen some very clever short passing in the final third from Noble over the years. I'd like to see him in a more advanced postion at this level for a while.

Maybe Collison and Diop behind Noble, as Collison seems to have more mobility than Noble from deeper positions and I have to admit Nobles tackling around the box scares the sh*t out of me at times.
The only thing I'd say with regard to this is that our midfield don't seem keen to collect the ball from the defence. This happened a lot in the first half against Leicester in particularly. Noble tended to do it the most and this was best shown in the build up to the first goal.

I worry is that if you push Noble further forward, how do you actually get the ball to him? Nolan and Collison simply don't seem to want to receive the ball deep so sadly it would appear you'd have to go long to Noble. I think the hoofball when it happens is a result of not effectively getting the ball from defence to midfield rather than midfielders being unable to link with forwards.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Won again today, 3-1.

Respect the point indeed...