Hull City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (05/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Re: Hull City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hammer Laffers »

the pink palermo wrote:
A superb goal, great bit of football, a real leaping in the air, punching the sky , hugging your mate moment .

I did all of that, including not only hugging my mate but everyone in the near area :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

stubbsy07 wrote:I thought it was a bit of a smash and grab to be honest. Green, Faye and Baldock were very good IMO. Cole changed the game when he came on.

One moan - our full backs are poor.
Stubbsy ~ you need to get a grip mate and stop being so fkcuing negative. We're 2nd in the table man for God's sake....

:wink:
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

Sorry, what's wrong with a smash and grab away win?

Away.

Keeper has to be on top form. We have to ride our luck a couple of times. And score two well-taken chances when they come up.

3 points from an away game. +2 GD. Seems fine.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

I said it was a smash and grab, not that there was anything wrong with it! I will settle for that away from home every week.

Hardly that negative, I said our full backs were/are poor which they are IMO. We need to get Demel fit. I also said that Cole, Baldock, Faye and Green had good games. How negative of me!

2nd in the league and 1 point behind the target of 2 points per game with lots of injuries returning. :thup:
We_are_BML
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by We_are_BML »

I'm very surprised we only had 2500 there, from where i was it looked like we had a few hundred empties either side
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

All we can do is sell out our allocation -

One of the funniest things ive seen in donkeys is when that bloke in the Hull crowd threw a wobbler bent over his missus and got kicked out haha what a twit! and he was wearing gloves! tool of the year!

To be honest most games this year have been similar, we have played bad but got the result. As long as we keep getting wins or good away points then we cant argue....BUT if we have a dip in form and go 3-4 games without a win and still play badly expect a backlash!

In conclusion better team lost and I LOVE IT!
Last edited by hammersam on Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

Sorry for hogging the thread but I couldnt think where else to post this.....

Both teams attempted to play "4-3-3" and as far I could see only Hull where playing it properly and thats the main reason for their dominance IMO! They had 1 Target man and 2 playing off him, where as we were playing a 4-5-1. Collison never gets close to carew and Baldock was often found deeper then McCartney 1st half. I'm not blaming collison or super sam because they aren't natural wingers however surely we should play a formation that suits the players availble not the other way round.

I know we won and it was superb but eventually we will get found out, any other day we could have lost by 4 or 5.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammersam wrote:All we can do is sell out our allocation -

One of the funniest things ive seen in donkeys is when that bloke in the Hull crowd through a wobbler bent over his missus and got kicked out haha what a twit! and he was wearing gloves! tool of the year!

To be honest most games this year have been similar, we have played bad but got the result. As long as we keep getting wins or good away points then we cant argue....BUT if we have a dip in form and go 3-4 games without a win and still play badly expect a backlash!

In conclusion better team lost and I LOVE IT!
But we didn't sell out our allocation.... :lol:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

One of the funniest things ive seen in donkeys is when that bloke in the Hull crowd through a wobbler bent over his missus and got kicked out haha what a twit! and he was wearing gloves! tool of the year!
I'm still cracking up today thinking about that.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

But we didn't sell out our allocation....
How many did we sell out in the end mate, heard about 2500?
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

:oops: looked it to me but I was right in the middle!

Must have been near enough! Also they didn't even sell out so think we did pretty well!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

ShanghaiHammer wrote:Sorry, what's wrong with a smash and grab away win?

Away.

Keeper has to be on top form. We have to ride our luck a couple of times. And score two well-taken chances when they come up.

3 points from an away game. +2 GD. Seems fine.
Exactly - can you see Tottenham fans complaining about their result yesterday in the same way. Would people rather be Fulham fans wondering till the end of time how they didn't equalise :D

Watching the second half of that game yesterday made me realise that football is an absurd sport, one of the few where there is no logic in the way the game goes or the result - probably why is is so gripping to watch. In any other sport Fulham would have generally been rewarded for their efforts instead of getting a kick in the tits.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

RyanWHUFC wrote:
How many did we sell out in the end mate, heard about 2500?
2600...it did look more
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

hammersam wrote:I know we won and it was superb but eventually we will get found out, any other day we could have lost by 4 or 5.
If we were playing in the Premier League then you might well be right, but guess what, we don't ,as long as we are better than the majority we play then we will succeed, can we all please now stop this nonsense about playing top tier football, thank you.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote:

Could have been posted at any time for about the last 8 or 9 years. I can't remember the last time we had two really good full-backs playing regularly, Timmy Breacker & Dicksie or maybe (for a few games at least) Johnson and Brevett?
Romford wrote: I'm not sure Brevett was ever up to much TBH fella
Shows you how bad our fullbacks have been down the years then doesn't it!

Fwiw, I thought he was solid at best when he came in but was miles better than who he replaced - Labant/Minto/Winterburn.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

2600...it did look more
Ok mate cheers, I thought it looked a bit more as well, but that isn't a bad turn out at all.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammersam wrote:I know we won and it was superb but eventually we will get found out, any other day we could have lost by 4 or 5.
dapablo wrote:
If we were playing in the Premier League then you might well be right, but guess what, we don't ,as long as we are better than the majority we play then we will succeed, can we all please now stop this nonsense about playing top tier football, thank you.
I think Hammersam has a fair point , and his view of the game would have been similar to mine given where he was stood .

How did it look so different from your vantage point ?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Denbighammer wrote:
Shows you how bad our fullbacks have been down the years then doesn't it!

Fwiw, I thought he was solid at best when he came in but was miles better than who he replaced - Labant/Minto/Winterburn.
Nutty didn't let us down tbf....the other two were spunk.

Its so annoying because its such an easy postion to play....just look at Gary Neville
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Thing is, we haven't had one of these yet, have we?

Dull game, lose last minute. Check
Battering of other team. Check
Dull game, win 1-0. Check
Hard fought away/home win. Check.
Deserve to win. Draw. Check
Deserve to lose. Draw. Check.

etc etc

There'll be dozens of different scenarios in games over a season, especially when on course to win the league, or get near.
Cliché time: no 2 games are the same etc

Because we were lucky against Hull, it doesn't mean we're going to get found out, or that the warning signs are there that we'll struggle.

Some days you rely on your midfielders to control the game, keep possession.
Others, you hope for your defenders to work hard and shut up shop against an onslaught of play.
Other days, you'll hope your attackers can do a job and get you a well earned 1-0 win with a late goal after hardly seeing the ball for 90 mins.

On Saturday, we came up against a decent, resurgent Hull team, buoyed on by their home support, with the bit between their teeth.
They put us under a hell of a lot of pressure, but our finishing was better than theirs. We won 2-0.

On Saturday it was the turn of our goalkeeper to do his bit and step up to the plate, like other players have already done this season and will do in the future.
He was called upon. He delivered.

That's why we have him.

He's one of many players who are all in it together.
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Romford wrote:Nutty didn't let us down tbf....the other two were spunk.
I thought that he struggled in the first half of our relegation season, but he must've been about 38 by then and playing alongside a combination of Repka, Breen, Dailly, Minto, and a post-injury Ian Pearce who, whilst still giving 100%, had never regained the sharpness he had before his injury. There aren't many defenders who would've looked good in that line-up.