David Gold on Talksport today

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: David Gold on Talksport today

Post by Aceface »

WestHamIFC wrote:Gold previously stated we could put 'building block' seats over the running track for football, and remove for athletics.

Have the OPLC now ruled this out? It's not clear from the statement.. :eh:
Pretty sure this would still be allowed. What seems to be changing is the ambiguity about the track - what seemed vague before is now looking more and more like a definite. Have a feeling Gold (like me) was thinking we could endure the track for a few years and then give it the boot
hammers1954

Post by hammers1954 »

Yea Why Not wrote:Just on twitter....

DavidGoldWHU David Gold
“@magicsuitcase: were not competing because we have been buying crap players and been poorly managed for years!” For over 100 years DG

He ain't wrong there :lol:
You missed an important part of this Tweet that changes the context. In DG's response after the "For over 100 years" is a ?. Completely changes the meaning of his response.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

How about if I purposely deleted that '?' to take the message out of context?!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:I was pleased to hear you say that Brady is largely absent. Any news on Sullivan? He hasn't been quoted on anything since August as far as I can see, which is astounding given various events since then.
I think Sam has put the pair of them back in their cages by singing the Company line - he frequently refers to the debt etc himself to remind them he is aware of our current position .

Brady is working on Brand Brady - she's staked a huge amount of personal credability on the OS, and failure to land it would be embarassing for her .

The get out of jail card I expect the club to play now in terms of the OS will be a club organised poll asking if we want to move to Stratford with a running track .

This of course will be overwhelmingly rejected ...........and then the board will say " we had to listen to our fans ".

Can see it coming a mile off .
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

For those that missed it:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen ... sode/54334
DG on from 11:19am.
cockney boy

Post by cockney boy »

I think you are 100% right there PP
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Pop Robson wrote:So we can't re-develop the Boleyn Ground, did Gold say why ?

Unless they're thinking a new East Stand and 40,000 wouldn't be big enough.
He said it's because of the surrounding area and infastructure, Maybe Boris could stump up to upgrade the tube station and open up the c2c platforms, much like he did for the spuds.
Nacho Man

Post by Nacho Man »

the pink palermo wrote: The get out of jail card I expect the club to play now in terms of the OS will be a club organised poll asking if we want to move to Stratford with a running track .

This of course will be overwhelmingly rejected ...........and then the board will say " we had to listen to our fans ".

Can see it coming a mile off .

:thup: Would be very surprised if there is any other outcome
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

taffhammer wrote: He said it's because of the surrounding area and infastructure, Maybe Boris could stump up to upgrade the tube station and open up the c2c platforms, much like he did for the spuds.
Must be down to Boris as Red Ken passed the East Stand plans in 2005/6ish
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Pop Robson wrote:So we can't re-develop the Boleyn Ground, did Gold say why ?

Unless they're thinking a new East Stand and 40,000 wouldn't be big enough.

He's probably not sure how re-developing the East Stand would solve the current Transport problems?

In fact, logically that would make getting to and from the Boleyn even worse than it is today...
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

taffhammer wrote: He said it's because of the surrounding area and infastructure, Maybe Boris could stump up to upgrade the tube station and open up the c2c platforms, much like he did for the spuds.

Good point. We should lobby Boris for this, or we can excuse him of favouritism... :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Council wants us out of our current location .

The cops would want us out .

The local residents will mainly want us out .

From the clubs persepctive it isn't about whether we could get planning permission , it's about whether there would be ongoing objections to use the facility more than 23 times per season .

Purely for football - it's fine .If your business plan is sweating the most expensive asset on as many days of the year as you can, you won't want to build a new stand that will have restictions on the number of events that can be held there .
maltab

Post by maltab »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... hiefs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe the fact we would be playing second fiddle to athletics,has finally begun to sink in.I,m sure everytime a major track event takes place,and as a result,we have to move out isn,t the best situation for our club to be in.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Pocket Pardew wrote:Remember that these two boring self righteous idiots had their tongues well and truly up the rear of Barry Hearn a few weeks ago. I winder if they will be quick to slate West Ham again when DG is on with them. I suspect they will be very chummy again and agree with everything he says. I truly despise these two and switch the radio over when they are on.
Just for you:
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

David Gold tweeted this a little while ago.
Disappointed in media reports on my talksport interview- all I said about the OS is that there are loads of issues to work through
topman

Post by topman »

Please will people stop going on about expanding Upton Park....THE COUNCIL HAVE SAID MANY MANY TIMES THEY WILL NOT ALLOW AN INCREASE IN CAPACITY Headbanger
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

The council have always said that we can't redevelop the Boleyn, but the Mayor of London also said we would be moving into Stratford.

So things change.

I'm sure an offer could be made, especially with our well known solid working relationship with Newham.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Id have been expecting him to follow up "there are issues to be resolved" with something like "but we're very hopeful of doing that" but he didn't.

A little bit of hope for those who don't want to move to an athletics stadium.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

topman wrote:Please will people stop going on about expanding Upton Park....THE COUNCIL HAVE SAID MANY MANY TIMES THEY WILL NOT ALLOW AN INCREASE IN CAPACITY Headbanger
where and when have they said this
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

The reason they do OK is called Joe Lewis. We don't have a Joe Lewis..
Not true. Joe Lewis is very much a silent partner in ENIC's running of the club.

Only once has money from ENIC gone directly into Spurs (a £15 million convertable bond underwritten by ENIC that allowed them to increase the level of their shareholding while paying way under market rate for the shares).

I think you'll find that your current owners have ploughed more of their personal wealth into West Ham than Joe Lewis has into Spurs.