David Gold on Talksport today

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Re: David Gold on Talksport today

Post by w6hammer »

durham city hammer wrote:Some interesting points pinky and tbh it would make the most sense as i cannot see them splashing that sort of money out for a stadium, unless a third party comes in and buys the rest of the club off the icemen and is perpared to invest big bucks, this i can't see happening. QPR is interesting as Fernandes was on sky the other day saying they are wanting to move to a new stadium, now i know the Mittal family have shares in the club but they have not really invested huge amounts into the club and are not really showing any signs of doing so, fernandes appears to be running the show there and he aint that rich, so where would he get the finance from?? you may well be onto something, i wonder how that would go down with fans of either club? like a lead balloon i would imagine!
With all due respect i cant ever see QPR moving to stratford.It appears spuds have achieved what they set out to do...stop us getting the OS on terms that would have been suitable to us..
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

He said no redevelopment of east due to not being allowed, but from day one they have concentrated on Stratford in conjunction with Newham council, have they asked whether planning would be re-approved.
As for Transport to and from UP, spuds want to have an extra 25,000 in their ground, yet their nearest tube station,seven sisters,is about the same distance as canning town station to our ground, yet first stage of planning for them has been approved.
The east redeveloped would affect the light into the flats below but if the roof and rear of the stand was clear wouldn't that help,also didn't stop the council passing planning before.
Perhaps naming rights to the stadium would cover cost of the new stand. Spick and span stadium has a ring to it.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

the pink palermo wrote: I don't believe they would fund a new stadium all by themselves .In all fairness, in the SE corner of England, inside the M25 it would be bloody expensive .

My own view is there is a plan B , and that will be to groundshare in a new football stadium at Stratford with either QPR or Spurs .

Don't forget our original budget to convert Stratford was £180m .That might get you half a football ground at Stratford if someone sold you the land cheaply - or sold you a 1000 year lease on the ground .

I don't believe either Tony Fernades, or Joe Lewis will want to spend £450m on building a new stadium all on their own .

I believe both would contemplate ground sharing .

I believe our owners would as well .The infrastructure at Stratford is too good to pass up the opportunity .
or chelski.

I agree that DG is playing poker. Even if we had the cash to build a new stadium in the M25 it would then be in competition with the olympic stadium for the extra revenue from NFL, cricket, rugby, international football, concerts etc - and that will make a financial analysis that was already suffering from a long pay off period go way beyond our lifetimes in pay-off profile.

I think we'll end up in stratford, with running track, we'll sort our debt out in the meantime by selling the boleyn, hope for a buy out from some oil money as a result of our higher profile and either get it then build a proper football stadium (on the olympic site once the 2017 stuff is out of the way and the public spending furore has died down) or not get the buy out and slowly shrink until we can afford a tailor made stadium for our shrunken support base

red or black baby
ottsands
Doesn't Mind Sharing
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by ottsands »

I haven't had the chance to read all through this, although I'd like to . . . all I'd say is don't underestimate the trickiness of David Gold, and I say that as a compliment . . . as others have said, he's playing them now.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

One great reason for us to go to the OS is that it will really, really, f*ck Spurs.

Think about it. Spurs have never really wanted the OS. They could never really succeed with a bid that said they were going to knock the bloody thing down. But they have very, very, very badly wanted West Ham NOT to have it and have gone to any lengths, some possibly illegal to ensure this.

This matters so much to them because they know how the balance of power in London would be shifted if we had that stadium. It's a potential goldmine: a brand-new facility with (post-Olympics) a global reputation. We would overnight become the third-biggest club in the capital, with the potential for a Man City-style rebirth under a new owner that could take us up to No.1.

Nothing would make Spurs happier than for us to stay at the Boleyn, condemned to being, at best, fourth in the capital, with no hope of growth. Nothing would make us more powerful than moving to the OS. They can see that. Sullivan, Gold and Brady certainly can see that.

We should see that, too.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Countryboy wrote: Nothing would make Spurs happier than for us to stay at the Boleyn,

I agree with most of what you've said.

But if we're locked into having an athletics track for 99 years, with no or very little chance of redeveloping the stadium to make it more suitable for football, it wouldn't be a viable prospect for me.
Francoisvander or else
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

How perceptions change, first off people were taken in by the those saying don't worry about the track, retractable seating will cure that problem, add in a shiny new roof, claret and blue seats and a lovely Wesy Ham branded wrap and the place will feel like home. We can look forward to increased revenue from all those extra events and a few years down the line we can f*** the track off. Even those fantasies weren't enough to convince a large proportion of supporters.

We now have people on this forum saying they are prepered to forego all of the above in the hope that some sugar Daddy decides that they want to purchase a football club. Thats one almighty gamble by which time there might even be a European Super League with no promotion and relegation, where would that leave us?

Some people are beggining to sound like the supporters of teams we despise, remember the fun we had laughing at Spurs and their pursuit of the Champions League spot, they were acting as if it was their God given right and we were constantly taking the piss. Admitedly they did it 1 year but whilst playing in a stdium that holds a few thousand more than us.

Get real people we are a middling Premier League team at best, our history shows that but what it also shows is that our supporters have a passion for the game and for doing the right thing such as acknowledging a good performance from the opposition, clapping the opposition Goalkeeper and more generally caring about teams less fortunate than ourselves. Moving to the Olympic Stadium is anything but the right thing and more and more people are beggining to realise it, lets just hope our owners do before it's too late
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Good post :thup:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Countryboy wrote:One great reason for us to go to the OS is that it will really, really, f*ck Spurs.
No, it wouldn't .

That's absolute fantasy I'm afraid and would be a classic case of us cutting off our noses to spite our face .

Arsenal built and have nearly paid for a barand new 60,000 seat stadium ......and yet , somehow, Spurs battle on at the Lane , getting into the CL and possibly doing so for a second time this season .

The thought that us moving into a wholly unsuitable venue 1.7 miles away from where we are now ( a 25 minute walk for goodness sake) would wipe spurs from the face of the Earth and send us on the way to global domination is pure fantasy .

Let's hope that those tasked with leading our club make decisions for the right reasons , not the wrong ones .

This obsession with Spurs , that is a relatively new thing, really needs to stop .I don't think I have ever once in my entire life looked at their result unless we are playing them .
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

the pink palermo wrote:
This obsession with Spurs , that is a relatively new thing, really needs to stop .I don't think I have ever once in my entire life looked at their result unless we are playing them .
When did the spurs thing start, as a young lad going to the games it was chelsea that I remember being the hated team,

Gold's been twittering away

We where not waiting for Avram to resign. What I said was "it was possible that he might resign" DG.

although he forgot to add and save paying out £3.5M to him

If we get/goto the OS the seating issue must be resolved DG.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Countryboy wrote:We would overnight become the third-biggest club in the capital
How do you work that one out??
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

the pink palermo wrote:This obsession with Spurs , that is a relatively new thing, really needs to stop .I don't think I have ever once in my entire life looked at their result unless we are playing them .
Not that new! They've been pissing me off on a regular basis ever since they took Martin Peters and we got a washed up Jimmy Greaves in return. Either as a prime intention or a serendipitous by-product, they fukc us on a regular basis. They are the enemy. Apart from the historical antipathy between us and them what have Millwall ever managed to do that has hurt us? That's the obsession that could be consigned to the dustbin of history - if it wasn't as much fun of course.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

claret parrot wrote: Not that new! They've been pissing me off on a regular basis ever since they took Martin Peters and we got a washed up Jimmy Greaves in return. Either as a prime intention or a serendipitous by-product, they fukc us on a regular basis. They are the enemy. Apart from the historical antipathy between us and them what have Millwall ever managed to do that has hurt us? That's the obsession that could be consigned to the dustbin of history - if it wasn't as much fun of course.
Just remind spurs fans that Peters played more games for us and Norwich than them
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I daren't in case they remind me that Bobby Moore was prevented by the club from joining them, which is what he is reputedly supposed to have wanted. Another reason to despise them, if more reason were needed. A new thing my ar*ehole!
beckton

Post by beckton »

Pop Robson wrote: When did the spurs thing start, as a young lad going to the games it was chelsea that I remember being the hated team,

Well, I've have had a rational dislike for both Spurs and Chelsea since I've been going games and love it when they lose.

I suppose more than 30 years might be a recent thing for some people. When is Pinky getting his telegram from the Queen? :lol:
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Francoisvander or else wrote:
Get real people we are a middling Premier League team at best, our history shows that but what it also shows is that our supporters have a passion for the game and for doing the right thing such as acknowledging a good performance from the opposition, clapping the opposition Goalkeeper and more generally caring about teams less fortunate than ourselves. Moving to the Olympic Stadium is anything but the right thing and more and more people are beggining to realise it, lets just hope our owners do before it's too late
But thats the problem, being a middling premier league team will mean long term, for us and other similar teams, that our support will lose intrest. How much more intrest is there now in getting away tickets ? It's because we are in a competetive league and not going up to Anfield knowing we haven't won there for 48 years.

i'd rather pay £10 for a ticket in the olympic stadium with a chance someone will get tempted to take us on to better things or have 16000 real fans at the Boleyn in league 1 than sit in the middle of the premier league year in year out.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

beckton wrote: Well, I've have had a rational dislike for both Spurs and Chelsea since I've been going games and love it when they lose.

I suppose more than 30 years might be a recent thing for some people. When is Pinky getting his telegram from the Queen? :lol:
I'm with you, been going nearly 40 years and was always Chelsea and Spurs results. Didn't care about Arsenal / Fulham / QPR / Charlton / Palace or Millwall.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

beckton wrote:I suppose more than 30 years might be a recent thing for some people. When is Pinky getting his telegram from the Queen? :lol:
In the context of a club 116 years old , that makes it relatively recent , and even 30 years ago it was modest rivalry .

It's been super hyped in the SKY era imo .
iron57

Post by iron57 »

Arsenal built and have nearly paid for a barand new 60,000 seat stadium ......and yet , somehow, Spurs battle on at the Lane , getting into the CL and possibly doing so for a second time this season .

That would be because they have a sugar daddy currently residing in Bermuda that sends over shed loads of money.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

the pink palermo wrote:
That's absolute fantasy I'm afraid and would be a classic case of us cutting off our noses to spite our face .
Why would trying to stop them being able to cherry-pick our best youngsters for the rest of our existence be cutting off our noses to spite our face?
The thought that us moving into a wholly unsuitable venue 1.7 miles away from where we are now ( a 25 minute walk for goodness sake) would wipe spurs from the face of the Earth and send us on the way to global domination is pure fantasy .
When we were being "bankrolled" by billionaires the best players we could attract, despite announcing our riches to the entire world, were Neill, Ljungberg and Boa Morte. :lol: The club cannot grow by staying at the Boleyn, simple. My guess is we were going to dump the running track eventually once the stadium was ours, but it does look like Spurs have won. Again.