Transfer Window: January 2012

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Matt of iron

Re: Jan transfer window 2012

Post by Matt of iron »

Yea Why Not wrote:
So you are not in favour of the new 'West Ham way' then?
The other players haven't hoofed it anymore under BFS then the last two managers.
eddcunningham

Post by eddcunningham »

Sell Piq, Sears and Ilunga.
Also maybe sell one or two of our goalkeepers. The fact we had to get in Almunia should be evidence enough that our backup keepers just aren't good enough. A couple more off the wage bill and maybe raise £100k or so.

No point in getting any more strikers in unless we get a young guaranteed goal scorer who will still do us good in the Prem.

Other than that, a nice box to box midfielder or someone creative on the wings would be nice as well.
Someone else down the left is essential and then another defender.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Matt of iron wrote:
For me he isn't all that defensively and ok going forward,

He has an unfortunate habit of hitting balls and hoping.

Not for me.

So competition/replace.
Personally, i don't think George has done anything wrong. He's looked a bit rusty at times and maybe lacks a bit of invention but he's as solid a LB as we are going to get. He's was awful at Leeds last season according to their fans and he never pulled up any trees at Sunderland so to come here late in the transfer window and to be as dependable as he has been, he's deserving of his place in the side, i think.

I'd like to think we could get an attacking LB to change things up if need be i.e. if the opposing team has a very week RB. But i think Macca looks a lot better with Taylor in front of him.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Please get rid of Piq and Sears.

Bring in a creative player.

Watch Baldock tear up the league.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

From 'Clunge' on Twitter or as some think, Karen Brady -

@Adzman89
Adam Jackson
Clunge alert. West ham will bid for kane ferdinand in jan. Sam has told the board he needs 3 players in jan and if we get them we will go up
37 minutes ago via Echofon
@Adzman89
Adam Jackson
Clunge alert. The board are backing sam big time.
35 minutes ago via Echofon
@Adzman89
Adam Jackson
looks like many incl @MichaelZdenek we're right about having Ferdinand. Very strong we will get him
35 minutes ago via Echofon
@Adzman89
Adam Jackson
Clunge: re Ridgewell, 3 other Prem clubs in for him so now doubtful we'll get him BUT we will try our best and u never know
34 minutes ago via Echofon
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

eddcunningham wrote:Sell Piq, Sears and Ilunga.

No point in getting any more strikers in unless we get a young guaranteed goal scorer who will still do us good in the Prem.
Selling Piq and Sears and not buying any more strikers doesn't seem like a very smart move to me. That would leave us relying on old man Carew, Cole with his dicky knee, and Baldock to essentially stay fit and play every game for the rest of the season if we want to continue with 4-4-2
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Also, the number of people wanting to get rid of Sears is sad. He probably gets paid peanuts, and we would receive peanuts for him if we sold him. It's not remotely in the same category as an Ilunga or Piquionne who are on proper PL wages, and are also of an age where they're unlikely to improve. There are unverified reports that Ilunga was drafted in WWII ffs.

Yes, the chances of it happening are getting slimmer by the day, but I still hold out hope that Sears can develop into the kind of player who could front our line at PL level. It's not going to cost us a lot to leave it a bit longer
MATTD5677

Post by MATTD5677 »

Definately need another left sided winger and to replace Piq with a better forward

Other than that an eye on the future with players like Ferdinand, Zaha and Clyne (Palace), Rhodes (Huddersfield)
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

If they are stranded at Christmas, as looks likely, Wigan may look to cut costs in readiness for life in the Championship and if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of their players. I like the look of their keeper, Al Habsi and Maynar Figueroa too and although he has been atrocious so far this season, Hugo Rodallega has a reasonable goal scoring record in the Premiership.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

If they are stranded at Christmas, as looks likely, Wigan may look to cut costs in readiness for life in the Championship and if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of their players. I like the look of their keeper, Al Habsi and Maynar Figueroa too and although he has been atrocious so far this season, Hugo Rodallega has a reasonable goal scoring record in the Premiership.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:If they are stranded at Christmas, as looks likely, Wigan may look to cut costs in readiness for life in the Championship and if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of their players. I like the look of their keeper, Al Habsi and Maynar Figueroa too and although he has been atrocious so far this season, Hugo Rodallega has a reasonable goal scoring record in the Premiership.
I cant see this happening but i've always wanted Victor Moses to play for us. If we trade leagues with Wigan next season i'd like to see us replace Faubert with him. Faubert seems destined to be off so we need a replacement, could be worth signing one in January in order to have him ready for next season.
Moses never got his chance at Wigan because of the form of N'Zogbia and now he's left, Moses has been one of Wigan's best players this season, unfortunately he's been playing with a lot of cr*p around him. I think he'd do very well for us and become a fan favourite, he loves to run at defenders and he'll get everyone on their feet.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Wouldn't mind Kane Ferdinand, but not overly optimistic we can get him.
Also could use a player like Mervan Celik, but this will be a tough one as well since Parma seem to be favourites to sign him, although we might still get him if we can convince him that there is a more than decent chance we get promoted, after all, Parma are no world beaters and they actually might have to fight against relegation this season.
I'd prefer if we kept Sears and started playing him in his more natural position as a striker, maybe as a regular substitute (or even play him together with Cole/Carew/Piquionne occasionally to give Baldock a breather).
I know a lot of supporters cannot wait to see the back of Piquionne, but I have a funny feeling he may still contribute and could get us some important goals and assists on our way to hopefully automatic promotion.
If there's a decent central defender around as backup I'm all up for signing him, however, maybe one of our young guys like Jordan Brown or Callum McNaughton can jump in and play a few games as backup until Reid is back...
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

HamburgHammer wrote:Wouldn't mind Kane Ferdinand, but not overly optimistic we can get him.
Also could use a player like Mervan Celik, but this will be a tough one as well since Parma seem to be favourites to sign him, although we might still get him if we can convince him that there is a more than decent chance we get promoted, after all, Parma are no world beaters and they actually might have to fight against relegation this season.
I'd prefer if we kept Sears and started playing him in his more natural position as a striker, maybe as a regular substitute (or even play him together with Cole/Carew/Piquionne occasionally to give Baldock a breather).
I know a lot of supporters cannot wait to see the back of Piquionne, but I have a funny feeling he may still contribute and could get us some important goals and assists on our way to hopefully automatic promotion.
If there's a decent central defender around as backup I'm all up for signing him, however, maybe one of our young guys like Jordan Brown or Callum McNaughton can jump in and play a few games as backup until Reid is back...
How many chances do you think Sears needs ? He just hasn't got it mate; that much should be obvious. Honestly, I see far better strikers in league two than him. Strikers with far better movement, strikers with more pace and self belief in front of goal than him, strikers with real venom in their boots and these strikers are playing in a league two leagues below him. It really is an eye opener.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Been talking to a Southend supporter about young Kane, big fan's favourite down there. My local Echo love him too! this is what I got:

He used to be a defensive midfielder, but has since been pushed slightly forward in a more box to box role, he apparently has some pace on him, he's always looking to get the ball to him, always finding space. Sounds like a decent player, although this is just hearsay having never seen him myself!

Good call on Moses, although would he be willing to drop a league? surely he'd rather broadcast his talent in the big league than drop a division, would be a great signing if we could pull it off though imo!
ajh316

Post by ajh316 »

i'd like us to try and get that noone from Brighton, if possible. looked a class act when i've seen him and has a good left foot on him, not sure if he's the pacy player we've been crying out for though.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Apparently Sunderland willing to let Jordan cook move on. Good at dribbling and beating players.

Wrong side of 30 ?
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Puff Daddy wrote:If they are stranded at Christmas, as looks likely, Wigan may look to cut costs in readiness for life in the Championship and if so, I wouldn't mind a couple of their players. I like the look of their keeper, Al Habsi and Maynar Figueroa too and although he has been atrocious so far this season, Hugo Rodallega has a reasonable goal scoring record in the Premiership.
Rodellega is toilet, his ratio is something like 1 in 4

I don't think we'll be able to attract any of them whilst in the Championship, though I'd like to see us raid the relegated clubs if we do go up
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

HamburgHammer wrote: I know a lot of supporters cannot wait to see the back of Piquionne, but I have a funny feeling he may still contribute and could get us some important goals and assists on our way to hopefully automatic promotion.
I agree. I think there's more to come from Piquionne this season. He was fantastic in his first 5/6 months with us, then he got injured and hasn't been the same since. Allardyce seemed to favour him at the start of the season and he played often, putting in poor performances but still being part of our excellent start to the Championship. It's taken him a while to get his season started but i've noticed in his last few appearances from the bench, he's looked a bit more lively. Sam will still be after a goalscorer in Jan and that may just spell the end of Piquionne in a West Ham shirt, but it's still November and i wouldn't write him off just yet.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

A player i`d like to see us go for is Albert Adomah.Has great pace and trickery and can play wide or as a striker.

Johnny Jackson of charlton would also be a good addition.Can play on the left or central midfield and i would imagine would be a realistic achievable target.be great cover for Taylor.
Whu_Law23
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by Whu_Law23 »

Someone mentioned Maynards out of contract in the summer?
If thats the case, id rather we try a cut price move in Jan instead of risking going against other prem teams on a free!
Happily spend a couple mil on him, despite his form..
That Adomah seems decent too, both too good for their club, no disrespect to Bristol City, I just think they could get in some prem teams!

Howson and Clapham from Leeds seem decent too, seem to drive through midfield..

Just some ideas!