West Ham Utd 3 Derby County 1 (26/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absentee Hammer

Re: West Ham United v Derby County Match Thread

Post by Absentee Hammer »

It is crazy how we have changed from the side that would score first and then not turn up in the second half to be the complete opposite, aside from the winning (which is always good) I prefer it this way, but it would be nice to work on bossing BOTH halves and not just letting our opponents tire, maybe that is what we will be working on for the second half of the season so we can prepare for the premiership.

If we dont, we will be 0-3 down to many prem teams by half time next season.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

It may just be superior fitness? Not much quality but enough in the tank in the second half to force the opposition into a few more mistakes than we made in the first half.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Gerblatz wrote:This is becoming an all too familiar occurrence though...why isn't he getting it right first time, at the beginning of games? - we are regularly reminded that he is a manager of vast experience with tactical nous; where does all that experience and knowledge count if he can't get it right at the front end of games?
How much does anyone here know about the championship teams ?

Lets deal in probabilities, most of the teams he knows diddly squat about really sure he'll see some tape and get reports but that's not really going to do the job. Everyone knows the premiership.
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Best I've seen us play this season in the second half. :thup:

I was starting to worry about young Jack but he looked something like his old self yesterday. His energy and forward running makes that midfield really work: Captain Slow looks a lot better playing a little deeper and it helps my boy Noble do his thing.

Couple of unsung heroes yesterday: That was Freddie P's best game since his Coolio days and what about Linda? I thought Average George had a great game.

I know a few of the die hards aren't pant-wettingly happy with the style of football being played this season and I get that. if I was schlepping round the 25 (and beyond) every week I might be a bit non-plussed myself, but from the outside looking in, that was very encouraging yesterday.

We need wingers. We needed them in August, we need them now. Get a couple in and watch the spectacle improve ten-fold.
Even without, we'll get promoted comfortably....
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

dapablo wrote:How much does anyone here know about the championship teams ?

Lets deal in probabilities, most of the teams he knows diddly squat about really sure he'll see some tape and get reports but that's not really going to do the job. Everyone knows the premiership.
The manager gets paid a huge sum of money, partly to make it his business to know his opposition so he can set up the team to exploit the weaknesses in them. Do you think giving your opponents the initiative for half the game until you've decided which tactic works best is the way to approach it? It shouldn't be about probability, but preparation, motivation and the psychology that comes with that. Should the manager be having to give the team half time rockets up their backsides just to get them playing to the right tactics in the 2nd half? I would expect these things to be sorted out at the training ground and in team meetings.

We're in a great position at the moment and we're putting a winning run together; the players, coaches and manager should be high on confidence - there is no apparent reason I can see therefore, why we should be playing so poorly in the first half of games.

In my view, if this inconsistency is not sorted out, we're going to come unstuck against good opposition who are also chasing automatic promotion.
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1134 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

Highlights anyone?
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

hammerdivone wrote:So you took your friends and your missus into the Boleyn, the Central and the Wakefield - you really know how to give people a treat! :lol:

We're all made of stone, so I think it usually is a treat for my Mrs.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Mosterhammer wrote:Highlights anyone?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 6_11_2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about 9 mins for west ham mate
Mosterhammer
Has liked: 1134 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Mosterhammer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 6_11_2011/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

about 9 mins for west ham mate[/quote]

Thank you. But im overseas and bbc's highligts arent available for us:(
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Absentee Hammer wrote:It is crazy how we have changed from the side that would score first and then not turn up in the second half to be the complete opposite, aside from the winning (which is always good) I prefer it this way, but it would be nice to work on bossing BOTH halves and not just letting our opponents tire, maybe that is what we will be working on for the second half of the season so we can prepare for the premiership.

If we dont, we will be 0-3 down to many prem teams by half time next season.

I think the game of two halves, we were rubbish first half thing is a bit overdone.

We looked quite dangerous first 15 minutes when we were playing 4-4-2 with Cole and Baldock. Then we have to sub Freddie on for Sam and it didnt look to hot for the rest of the half. But then we dominated the second. I think we had two potentially match winning strategies witha dodgy bit in the middle...
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers fella!
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Gerblatz wrote:The manager gets paid a huge sum of money, partly to make it his business to know his opposition so he can set up the team to exploit the weaknesses in them. Do you think giving your opponents the initiative for half the game until you've decided which tactic works best is the way to approach it? It shouldn't be about probability, but preparation, motivation and the psychology that comes with that. Should the manager be having to give the team half time rockets up their backsides just to get them playing to the right tactics in the 2nd half? I would expect these things to be sorted out at the training ground and in team meetings.
I saw an interview with BFS before the game, where he commented that they've watched up-coming opposition (as you'd expect), but come the game against us, the opponents have been setting themselves up differently from how they've played in the games that have been watched. That may also be expected to some degree, but it does make it more awkward to prepare tactics/formations in advance to deal with that. Thus BFS has to deal with it as the game unfolds, which is what he has done - the only argument could be that maybe he could make the changes earlier (i.e. before h/t).
Last edited by Devils Advocate on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

upton o'good wrote: I think the game of two halves, we were rubbish first half thing is a bit overdone.

We looked quite dangerous first 15 minutes when we were playing 4-4-2 with Cole and Baldock. Then we have to sub Freddie on for Sam and it didnt look to hot for the rest of the half. But then we dominated the second. I think we had two potentially match winning strategies witha dodgy bit in the middle...
Thats how I saw it, :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I know I've only got the highlights by which to judge, but Collison's positioning and passing looked top notch yesterday.

But the through ball of the match was Faub>>>Piq at 1-1.

More of the same please.

:crest:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post match pressers, exclusively in full:

Nigel Clough: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sam Allardyce: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Gerblatz wrote:The manager gets paid a huge sum of money,
Really it makes no difference whatsoever, how much you pay someone has no effect on their knowledge base. He will garner what he can in between coaching the team and all the rest. How many times you reckon he should of seen Derby play ?

If things arrive different to what he expects or the players aren't playing as well as he expects then he has the ability to think on his feet and change things.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

And finally, the opposition view:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125830" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Well earned 3 points, thought we played really well. well done lads :thup:
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The montage played at the start of the game on the big screens
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass