West Ham Utd 1 Burnley 2 (03/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Lincolnhammer92

Re: West Ham United V Burnley Match Thread

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Even an Avram team managed to put 5 past this lot. 8-0 to us!
DancesWithWolves

Post by DancesWithWolves »

Another 3 points towards the title, 3-0 Hammers.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Muddy wrote:Can't wait to go on saturday after today's result. Can't wait at all.
Same here Muddy, let's hope for another 3 points towards the title. :thup:
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

It will be nice to see Junior back in claret and blue... He seems to have found his feet again...
Parso

Post by Parso »

Burnley are fighters and they represent tough opposition. They will battle right to end regarless of scoreline.

He have the players and quality to beat Burnley but for me this one comes down to our attitude on the day.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Parso wrote:Burnley are fighters and they represent tough opposition. They will battle right to end regarless of scoreline.
Totally, they also have some very good players regardless of their position and a good manager in Howe.

We can ill afford to gift them possession like we have done in many home games this season. We need to control this game from the off and like we did against Boro, put the fear factor in them. They'll be buzzing from their last two games and are interestingly only 5 points off the play-off's. They're no mugs and have players that can hurt us so I'm not expecting total dominance.

Saying that though, if we keep up our form and play the right way will get the result in what I imagine, will be an exciting game.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 499 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D1/overview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More clean sheets than any other team. Better form than any other team over the last 7 games. Conceded less than any other team this season. Scoring an average of 1.84 goals a game (3rd best in the league).

West Ham 0-2 Burnley. Hines and Stanislas.

:lol:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Burnley play some nice football - and they have some decent young players. I remember reading that they rated Bartley, the central midfielder - and Charlie Austin - but he's got a dislocated shoulder I believe.

Dunno why - but I can see this being a bit closer than normal - we've scored 10 in our last two at home to these. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet - but neither will they - 29 conceded in 19 games.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Agree with a lot of comments others have made - these are no mugs and will give us a game. We need to start like we did against Boro' - on the front foot, get an early goal and dominate the tempo. No doubt these will take advantage if we ease up on them as we seem to have done in some recent games. Once ahead, we need to be ruthless; keep knocking these over. If we do that, then it's a comfortable 4-1win for me :thup:
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

A lot of Burnley fans have been concerned about the potential of relegation this season, they've got a very small squad, financial restrictions and hardly ever string a few results together. Very inconsistent team, but they do try to play good football. Eddie Howe is very impressive and a lovely bloke too.

Key players for them:
Marvin Bartley - big strong CM who can play , wouldn't be surprised to see him in the premier league sometime soon. Becoming a bit of fans favourite.
Jay Rodriguez - Local boy now valued at over 6 million. Good in the air, he's an intelligent play and can finish, he's getting better every year and Ill be very surprised to see him still at Turf Moor come next summer. Does go missing in games sometimes though.
Junior - Poor against Hull the other day but was fantastic last night. Starting to show some good form.
Kieren Trippier - On loan right back from Man City, very impressive at times. Likes to get forward.
Ross Wallace - Right winger who's got an eye for goal. Does blow hot and cold.

Weak Links:
Lee Grant - Dodgy keeper IMO , put him under pressure and he struggles
David Edgar - CB who reminds me of a Upson at times.
Brian Easton - LB who is atrocious in possession (not sure if he's fit)
Andre Bikey(Now called Amougou) - One of their most senior players but very inconsistent, struggles against good strikers , especially ones with pace.

I wold be very surprised if Burnley got anything from this game, theyll be ecstatic to come away with a point. Although theyve won their last two and confidence is up I don't see them being able to compete , especially from a physical point of view. Sam Vokes has come into the team and impressed in Austins absence but I can't see them causing us too much trouble.

I predict a 3-0 win to us.
:crest:
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Burnley look like they could be threatening going forward, but are vulnerble at the back. Can see plenty of goals in this one. 4-2 :crest:
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Is Austin out injured?
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Tarbs wrote:Is Austin out injured?
Dislocated his shoulder in the leeds game (third time in just over a year!)
Eric

Post by Eric »

Parso wrote:Burnley are fighters and they represent tough opposition. They will battle right to end regarless of scoreline.

We have the players and quality to beat Burnley but for me this one comes down to our attitude on the day.
Totally agree Parso. Burnley are "Old Skool" (like us), they know how to play in this division. I expect them to be very defensive so we need to do exactly the same as against Boro. Full on from the starting whistle and get an early goal then their defensive play is for nothing.

Looking forward to a few Guiness's in the Queens, some nosh in Kens and a winning scoreline (Don't care how many, it's points that matter now).

COYI
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Subs: Stech, O'Brien, Diop, Collison, Sears.

Reckon we'll line up something like that.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 499 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Can't see us starting with our only two fit strikers.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Can't see us starting with our only two fit strikers.
Swap Piquionne for Sears maybe, let him have a go in a Baldock type of role, I would like to see that thinking about it.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:Even an Avram team managed to put 5 past this lot. 8-0 to us!
Didn't we stick 5 past them, and then concede three in the last 10 minutes, and only managed to cling on for the win because they ran out of time?

They're a decent enough team, but we're better and we should be rolling this lot over at home.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

If this run continuies, Dyers leg will be getting my vote for Hammer of the Year.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

mushy wrote:If this run continuies, Dyers leg will be getting my vote for Hammer of the Year.
He's a lazy **** though. It's Thursday and we're still without a match preview