West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Coventry City: match thread

Post by Kitt the car »

Just got back and it was quite a boring match but that is unfortunately what happens when teams play 11 behind the ball and defend for the majority of the match. Their 'keeper played a blinder and if it wasn't for him we would be top of the league.

Although he didn't get a goal or much of a chance in front of it, Baldock's movement and vision is just superb, I am hoping we can use that a lot more than we did today.

Nouble should be in front of Piq and Carew as well, He has the ability to run with the ball, defend and shoot, he should have scored that one on one though.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Just getting home. The game was crap....end of.

Yes I know, I am no Alan Hansen
Funny I actually quite enjoyed it. Took my 6 year old nipper for her 1st game which she seemed to enjoy with her new Hammers jester hat....... and thought there was some reasonable football played.

Do not go every game these days and if I did I may have a different opinion though??
:wink:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Although he didn't get a goal or much of a chance in front of it, Baldock's movement and vision is just superb, I am hoping we can use that a lot more than we did today.
His movement, speed and vision seems to quick for our midfielders, saw him make countless good runs off the ball into space/opening space today and our midfielders struggle to find him with a pass or even see his movement.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2626 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I think it was hard to criticise individual performances today, I can't really think of anyone (bar maybe Reid) that had a poor game. The first half in particular was pretty painful to watch and we lack both width and pace. Nouble offered something different when he came on and was a pleasant surprise. Tomkins was comfortably man of the match, I sincerely hope that isn't the last we see of him in a West Ham shirt.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Not long back...well it was a win and we at last took advantage of others around us losing. It wasn't a great game and we missed another raft of chances. Was impressed with Nouble when he came on; saw more from him in 15 minutes to warrant his selection ahead of Piq and Carew - strength, pace and but for their keeper, could have bagged a brace.

We still play like a nervous team at home and it was good that the crowd got behind the lads to lift them instead of some of the muggy slating some people seem to like to jump on the bandwagon with.

A good start to the year; a couple of decent, experienced players in the window to give us more depth in the squad, a few more bold decisions to try out some of our hungry youngsters and we're going to push on ok.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Personally thought that was more like it, we didn't just hoof it and tried to play football, just seemed like one of those games where the ball wasnt gonna hit the net, thankfully it did. We created lots of chances and it proves we are a better team when we play football. Well done to Sam today and keep it up. Also thought Tomkins was sublime today, he has massive talent and was fantastic to see him bring the ball out like Bobby Moore today.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1917 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

thejackhammer wrote:Was there any kissing the badge, giving shirt to the crowd, kissing the boleyn turf from Tomkins today? :lol:
Nope. I don't think he was saying anything at Derby apart from acknowledging the support. Threw himself in front of everything today and didn't look like someone with a multi million quid deal to jeopardise.

If we sell Tommo or Noble we are insane. Only thing worrying me is Sullivan's programme notes stressing he has spent another
'30 million' this season which sounds like softening up. I'd like to know if his numbers stack up.

As for the game, I thought we patiently built up the tempo until we scored then - deja vu - we sat back and invited the league's bottom team on to us. The last 5 minutes were comical. If they had scored, especially with Nouble at left back, then the entire tone of the last 6 pages on this thread would have been entirely different. Be brave Sam, we could grab this shitty league by the throat.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:
Nope. I don't think he was saying anything at Derby apart from acknowledging the support. Threw himself in front of everything today and didn't look like someone with a multi million quid deal to jeopardise.

Sounded from the commentary like he played a blinder, was blocking everything, and made the run to set the goal up. If we sold him I fear our whole season could fall apart. I think people are just over reacting to some interest from the premier league, if we go up this season, he could be with us for a long time. And hopefully he will.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

People still digging out Cole behind me :thdn:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

eastsider wrote:
Funny I actually quite enjoyed it. Took my 6 year old nipper for her 1st game which she seemed to enjoy with her new Hammers jester hat....... and thought there was some reasonable football played.

Do not go every game these days and if I did I may have a different opinion though??
:wink:
That first game is ALWAYS the best. My first game was a boring win, Mini Bod's first game was a nil nil. Just knowing they will be Hammers for life takes away any pain or apathy
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote:People still digging out Cole behind me :thdn:
Bad Darts

At least it's a lot better than it used to be. I used to be clapping him off in the chicken run surrounded by people screaming that he was sh*t and booing him.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

Today proves that we can play football at times, Nolan for me, goal apart, just don't fit, faubert still over hits every cross, Coventry played their part in a good game and to me didn't just stick 11 behind the ball. Only 3 Sam signings played today, not including McCartney hes played here before, perhaps that was the reason for a more controlled performance? Happy days at last
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

How many did Coventry bring? From where I was sitting it looked like there were more in the que for pie & mash
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I grump at Coventry, perhaps cos I remember their good times. Jimmy Hill to many is a big chinned fool, but he was a visionary at Coventry. Many things, like Match Day programmes as they are now, are due to him. I also remember the Semi against the, at the Boleyn. They filled the whole South Bank. Their demise is my fear.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Sweeney Bod wrote:I grump at Coventry, perhaps cos I remember their good times. Jimmy Hill to many is a big chinned fool, but he was a visionary at Coventry. Many things, like Match Day programmes as they are now, are due to him. I also remember the Semi against the, at the Boleyn. They filled the whole South Bank. Their demise is my fear.
Didn't he also engineer that the Coventry team bus arrived fifteen minutes late on the last day of the season, so they knew what they'd have to do to stay up?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Were they miners?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1917 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Sweeney Bod wrote:I grump at Coventry, perhaps cos I remember their good times. Jimmy Hill to many is a big chinned fool, but he was a visionary at Coventry. Many things, like Match Day programmes as they are now, are due to him. I also remember the Semi against the, at the Boleyn. They filled the whole South Bank. Their demise is my fear.
I remember those semis as well Sweeney. Goddard's goal remains a favourite.

I thought their new ground was absolute *****. Middle of nowhere, one third full and about to welcome Div 3 football. I share your fears.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Biglee92 wrote:How was baldock today?
I thought he was good, very, very willing runner & caused problems with his movement & his endless running even winning a few headers actually.

Didn't get the goal today but i like him, tired towards the end & was rightfully taken off.

:thup:
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

thejackhammer wrote:I think Nouble is a better option that Carew or Piquionne. A strikeforce of Cole, Baldock, Nouble, Hall and one of Sharp/Rhodes would be plenty good enough for this league, and maybe even our return to the premiership.
Couldn't agree more other than throwing Maynard into the mix of possibilities. Refreshing to see Nouble hopefully finally given his chance. Liked him from the first time I saw him up at Villa Park two Christmas' ago and ran his legs off for the team. How was he repayed? Stuck behind god knows how many loanees or has-beens and loaned out here and there. Hope this is the beginning of a decent West Ham career.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Oldun wrote: Were they miners?
Possibly, well it was Kids for a quid ..........