Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

They started making a big deal about it when people started getting paid for them imvho...

:wink:
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Extended highlights here.

Extended in the sense that the clip is a bit longer than the 30 seconds we got on TFLS. :thdn:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Romford wrote:
Ask anyone when you turn up at an away game in the pub and they always say... "You will thrash us".

If you got the chance to chat to the same person ten mins after kick off it would be..."bloody hell...you ARE rubbish".
That's very interesting.

My single away this year was at Palace and what you've put up as being the general trend was exactly what happened.

A few beers beforehand and a family of Palace STH were telling me that we'd be too strong for their limited side.

At half-time, the self-same mob were texting me and my son properly taking the piss out of us....
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote: Thanks Bob :thup:

Bit like " he started the move" , or "prevented the cross coming in" or "kept things ticking over" or even "defending from the front".........all aspects of a successful team .

It all went wrong when they pissed about with the offside law .....
Not really no, because there are probably hundreds of moves started per game, lots of crosses prevented in different scenarios, no definition for " keeping things ticking over " and i'd guess only around 2 goals scored per game so that's why people like to focus on it i'd say..

It's also why Nani is just about to sign a contract for 130k per week at Man United and why Barca signed Fabregas for 33m GBP they did in the summer.

These kind of Players are second only to other players who score all the goals where importance is measured and that is for all to see by what i just said.

I done something on Matty Taylor, our top " He sets up goals " player, in the Team Stats thread, it's quite interesting to see that when he doesn't play we are less of a threat scoring goals and winning games of football, as no one has stepped up yet to the level of contribution that he gives.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

WestHamIFC wrote:Er, well anyway - here's the goal from where I saw it ..

http://youtu.be/j4B-I1mRh_w

:thup:
kthammer wrote:thanks - which Iphone camera is that?

4S
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Romford has it spot on in my opinion.

Allardyce's attitude to football is to nullify the opposition rather than beat them with any kind of skill or attacking emphasis. Just look at his comments after the England-Spain game and how much he was creaming himself at the defensive supershow on offer.

Nobody can argue it works, but a lot of us have every right to question whether it is worth it if it goes against everything we stand for. As a regular away attendee, I am seriously questioning spending money on the relatively short trip to Peteborough as I can't stand it any more.
Ironintheblood

Post by Ironintheblood »

People have very short memories - we finished bottom of the Premier League last year with 33 points - 2nd from bottom was Blackpool with 39 and Birmingham with same points - we were a full 8 points from safety....last year our team was ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL AND THE WORST TEMAM IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE BY A COUNTRY MILE

Look at how the other 2 teams relegated are doing this year.......Birmingham 7th but a full 10 points behind us and Blackpool 9th 11 points behind us

Now if you ask me thats a pretty decent swing in just 6 months of BFS being in charge

Its too early to slag off, lets get behind the team ffs everyone - get back to the premiership and go from there........ Headbanger
Kentish Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by Kentish Hammer »

Nobody is arguing that he is not doing a good job.

Its just he is doing that good job with an ethos that is unrecognisable to the past of West Ham , even when we were crap. I don't just mean the style of play, it’s the harassing of refs, Nolan jumping up and down in front of the keeper at free-kicks and that kind of thing.

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth of some supporters and that is the argument. For some people it doesn't matter and promotion comes above that ethos. Others disagree and have the right to disagree.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Ironintheblood wrote:People have very short memories - we finished bottom of the Premier League last year with 33 points - 2nd from bottom was Blackpool with 39 and Birmingham with same points - we were a full 8 points from safety....last year our team was ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL AND THE WORST TEMAM IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE BY A COUNTRY MILE

Look at how the other 2 teams relegated are doing this year.......Birmingham 7th but a full 10 points behind us and Blackpool 9th 11 points behind us

Now if you ask me thats a pretty decent swing in just 6 months of BFS being in charge

Its too early to slag off, lets get behind the team ffs everyone - get back to the premiership and go from there........ Headbanger
Both Brum and Blackpool have had to sell their best players. Neither of them have been able to go and spunk the sort of money we have on high wage earners and long contracts.

The top flight isn't the be all and end all...
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Not really no, because there are probably hundreds of moves started per game, lots of crosses prevented in different scenarios, no definition for " keeping things ticking over " and i'd guess only around 2 goals scored per game so that's why people like to focus on it i'd say..

It's also why Nani is just about to sign a contract for 130k per week at Man United and why Barca signed Fabregas for 33m GBP .
Perhaps not , but for my money it's the No1 job in most sides .Usually it's the player who touches the ball most in a given side .It's what Paul Scholes does for Manchester United and Mark Noble does for us .This Saturday, if he is selected, I'll sount the number of times Noble recieves the ball .I bet it's around 120 times in the match .Nobody else in our side will be within 50 touches of him .

I take your point on the assist / sets up goals comments , bit there really isn't anything new in it is there ? In the old-ish days it was Rush and Fowler, Sutton and Shearer , Cottee and Macavennie.........whereas now it's Cole and ?

With Taylor not being available for most of the last 20 games - Saints IIRC he got injured at , our goals have dried up to a little over one per game .Armed with the knowledge you have identified , you might think the Manager would make a change to the teams shape in recognition of the loss of the "assistant" .
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

prophet:marginal wrote:Romford - or anyone else agreeing with your basic view that the football being served up is almost not worth the effort in travel and cost - can I ask you this:

Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Perhaps he just doesn't trust his players enough to let them (try to) show a bit of flair?
PM ……

Of the side that started at the weekend, 4 are BFS signings …. Out of the remaining 7, one is a former u21 international, one is a current u21, whilst the remaining 5 have full honours. I’d say that at this level he has more ‘tools’ than most to be able to work with.

Is the football he’s implementing now any different to what he’s done throughout the rest of his career? I don’t think so ….. He seems very keen to dismiss the notion he’s a long ball merchant but I have seen very little evidence of that …. Apart from the odd 45 minute display.

We’re a stepping stone for him and I’m generally concerned by the clubs direction. Everything I despise in football is actually being acted out in front of me now by my West Ham ….. winning at all costs ‘mourinho’ mentality, short term outlook, excessive wages on average older players, anything but the beautiful game ….

He’s continually blamed the strikers for not taking chances though I read with interest on another thread that we have the best conversion rate in the league?

Need to be careful what we wish for, next season, if we go up, the football will be even more atrocious, then the whole world will be able to witness the dross being served up. May change the minds of those that don’t go but are happy to criticize the opinions of those that do.

This season is like having one crap shag after another.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Sheriff

Some of us would settled for a crap shag !!!!!

However, listening to, watching and reading about this season has left me questioning what constitutes a crap shag. It is a shag after all..

:lol:
MalteseHammer

Post by MalteseHammer »

Not often I can have my say, but having watched the game on Saturday, I just find the whole approach by Sam is simply to quash the opposition. Instead of playing to our strengths, we just nullify the opposition and try and sneak a goal. Our last 8 results are (our score first) 1-2, 0-3, 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-0, 0-1, 1-0. So that's 8 games, and scored 6! If we don't have wide players and we stick 5 in the middle then it gets too crowded and with limited creativity then the whole system doesn't work. All in all, I think we have the players, but the system is the least suitable to what we have...and it doesn't need to be so! The most worrying aspect is how when we had a man up all we did was pass more but attack less. All in all, it's pretty dire stuff!
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Sheriff

Some of us would settled for a crap shag !!!!!

However, listening to, watching and reading about this season has left me questioning what constitutes a crap shag. It is a shag after all..
Cuenca

What I was trying to illustrate my friend was that crap shags leave you unfulfilled. A shag (winning) should be done in the right way and feel good afterwards 8-)

It seems to me that many settle for a crap shag and don’t mind the hollow feeling in the morning
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ironintheblood wrote:People have very short memories - we finished bottom of the Premier League last year with 33 points - 2nd from bottom was Blackpool with 39 and Birmingham with same points - we were a full 8 points from safety....last year our team was ABSOLUTELY DREADFUL AND THE WORST TEMAM IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE BY A COUNTRY MILE

Whats the point of getting into the Prem with BFS ??

Lose the stats fella...and lets talk straight.

Did you pay 100 sovs and waste yet another day on Saturday being bored stupid from a team that didn't have to play that way ?

Straight question.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: I done something on Matty Taylor, our top " He sets up goals " player, in the Team Stats thread, it's quite interesting to see that when he doesn't play we are less of a threat scoring goals and winning games of football, as no one has stepped up yet to the level of contribution that he gives.
Think back to September and the idea that we now had Taylor and Bentley on the flanks, Baldock - a new nippy forward and Lansbury a bit of much needed pace in midfield.

The opportunity to have the two wide men finished before it started, At present we are playing without either and as you say the stats back up how important Taylor's contribution was. Baldock missed six weeks, Lansbury the same.

I have said since the season started there is a lack of pace in the side, especially in midfield. Lansbury has failed to impose himself enough to start, Faubert has good patches but his delivery is hit or miss. Collison drifts in and out of the game. Noble and Nolan are the only two who have any level of consistency. If Diop's distribution had matched his reading of the game we would have had so much more possession it might have made a difference to the scoreline. We kept giving the ball to Portsmouth.

I only saw one decent cross in the whole game Saturday and that was when their player almost scored an own goal, no surprise that no-one on our side reached it. If Sam has turned us into Bolton how comes we never ever win a second ball in the opposition half. We can play the ball sideways across the pich and bring the ball out to the half way line with ease but as soon as we get into the opposing half there seems to be an invisible barrier that we hit and we play hopeful balls rather proper passes. Nolan hit a couple of superb passes into the channels and both times Cole's control was awful.

We are so sloppy in possession that a panic comes over them and we have these ten minute spells where it is two passes and poor control or mishit pass. Nothing to do with the manager's tactics just poor play.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

MalteseHammer wrote:Not often I can have my say, but having watched the game on Saturday, I just find the whole approach by Sam is simply to quash the opposition. Instead of playing to our strengths, we just nullify the opposition and try and sneak a goal. Our last 8 results are (our score first) 1-2, 0-3, 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 1-0, 0-1, 1-0. So that's 8 games, and scored 6! If we don't have wide players and we stick 5 in the middle then it gets too crowded and with limited creativity then the whole system doesn't work. All in all, I think we have the players, but the system is the least suitable to what we have...and it doesn't need to be so! The most worrying aspect is how when we had a man up all we did was pass more but attack less. All in all, it's pretty dire stuff!
Sorry you had to witness it mate...

The people at home though thought the 3 points were great and we are a bunch of mugs for wingeing.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Romford wrote: Whats the point of getting into the Prem with BFS ??

Lose the stats fella...and lets talk straight.

Did you pay 100 sovs and waste yet another day on Saturday being bored stupid from a team that didn't have to play that way ?
Not trying to interrupt but the fact is Sam has been brought in to get us back to the PL. That is his remit. He is doing a tremendous job in that respect.

The football is a different matter, people say if we play this way or that way it will all be rosy. Football is not like that. A well organised team can beat a much better technical team and it happens every week.

The owners want PL football - that is why they bought the club. Whether you love it or hate it the PL is where the best players are, the money and everything that goes with it. Sam's job is to get us promoted - let's face it what the fans think is a long way down the list of priorities.

I went to Portsmouth saying however you look at it it was all about getting three points, we started off well. I thought yet again we were comfortable winners. I quite like the fact that we can win games 1-0 regularly. I would rather see Baldock on the pitch, but the fact is we controlled the game with the formation we had out again. I have more of an issue with the fact we give the ball away cheaply (not with the long ball) too often, and never win a second ball in their half of the pitch. If we were calm in possession we could actually pass through teams but we rush everything in the opposition half. Cross too early or too late, hit passes at people not to them. I do not believe the manager tells them to do that - it is just poot technique. Which is why we are in the championship in the first place.

I am coming home from games happy that we have won. Yes it could be better, but the last time I saw us play really good football we were mugged 2-1 by Burnley. Funny game football.

I've been to nine away games this season and only seen us lose once (Reading). I went to twenty one away games in the previous two seasons and only saw us win once.

Saturday nights have been a lot happier in my house this season!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

They would have been happier anyway...we are playing cack teams.

Had Grant been in charge...would we be in a worse position ??

I don't think so...and he was cack too.

The one question you ask when it comes to a manager of anything...Comet, a butchers, a football club.

Is he getting the best out of his staff ??

The Coward is most definately not....IMHO
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Romford wrote:They would have been happier anyway...we are playing cack teams.

Had Grant been in charge...would we be in a worse position ??

I don't think so...and he was cack too.

The one question you ask when it comes to a manager of anything...Comet, a butchers, a football club.

Is he getting the best out of his staff ??

The Coward is most definately not....IMHO
****ing hell, steady on Romford. :lol: