Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The thing is I will give BFS credit for picking the playing side up from the floor, morale must have been rock bottom and various players had left. He had to rebuild from the mind set of "leave it to Scotty, he will win the game for us" which many players seemed to have. Then he had to bring in players capable of hitting the ground running and build a winning team, all with the expectation of promotion this year.

IMO he has done a good job of recovering, all be it that there is far more work to do. I just believe that he is too percentage, we should have killed off Pompey when we had the chance and not been backs to the wall for the last ten minutes or so like we were. All managers have a mindset that they return to, Wenger and Holloway think of attack not defence - Ferguson seems to think of a solid defence as well as attack. BFS seems to think of not being beaten first.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Matt of iron wrote:
f***ing hell, steady on Romford. :lol:
Hand on heart...i honestly think that.
m-h

Post by m-h »

I think Mr. Allardyce doesn't know how to set the team up to play any different. The one attempt at the 442 and loss, was a there's your West Ham way, i'm right and your wrong. Alternatively he's saying the whole team is not very good, including the players he's signed.

Either way, whats currently on display, is totally counter culture to how the youngsters are brought through the Academy. If this carries on, in two years the team will not resemble anything of its traditions. Then what happens if Mr. Allardyce is not offered a contract extension or decides to leave.

I think we may just about be able to beat Bolton right now, thats it. Just opinions like.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Sorry Romford but nothing will ever be worse than last season.

I shuddered when we appointed Grant and the cold depressing feeling only went when he was shown the door.

This season is far from perfect, but my club is not a source of ridicule anymore and I for one am happy with that.

We can play better than we are doing and have done for some time, can any other of the teams in the mix really say that?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hockley Hammer wrote:Sorry Romford but nothing will ever be worse than last season.

I shuddered when we appointed Grant and the cold depressing feeling only went when he was shown the door.

This season is far from perfect, but my club is not a source of ridicule anymore and I for one am happy with that.

We can play better than we are doing and have done for some time, can any other of the teams in the mix really say that?
I was far more upset that we appointed BFS...but gave him a chance. I enjoyed the games where we let in late goals as we played some football. He has put pay to that hasn't he.

I left the game at HT on Saturday...something i never did under Happy Face.

I think getting mugged off for the way we "play" in this league is far worse than any ridicule we had last season.

I am booked up until Peterboro...then its Jeff Stelling for me.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Romford wrote: I left the game at HT on Saturday...something i never did under Happy Face..
Didn't you say you left because you had the shits? Surely that's not Big Sam's fault too? :lol:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
Didn't you say you left because you had the shits? Surely that's not Big Sam's fault too? :lol:
Had we of been playing well..i'm sure i could have found a cork !?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

:lol:

Not the nicest mental image, I have to say, but point made perfectly.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

Romford wrote:
Noble is our only creative player...just because he hasn't created goals means **** all. Creation is more than being the last person to pass to a scorer...its starting a move, its inventing options etc

We have a total lack of it through our whole squad...why ?
We've 'created' enough to be =Top. :thup:

If we beat Forest on Sat we take top spot.

The fans of the 23 clubs below us would be more than happy to have our points & goal difference.

Sam A' gets some serious grief on here.Do you not think when he took over he was given one aim & one aim only.
Get Promoted - at all costs.
G&S only aim is to get back in the PL ASAP.I bet they don't give two hoots what style of football we see our team play this season.
The PL gravy train has become the be all & end all for modern day football club owners
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

boleyn77 wrote:
We've 'created' enough to be =Top. :thup:

If we beat Forest on Sat we take top spot.

The fans of the 23 clubs below us would be more than happy to have our points & goal difference.

Sam A' gets some serious grief on here.Do you not think when he took over he was given one aim & one aim only.
Get Promoted - at all costs.
G&S only aim is to get back in the PL ASAP.I bet they don't give two hoots what style of football we see our team play this season.
The PL gravy train has become the be all & end all for modern day football club owners
We haven't made the most of our players and have created very little.

Sam gets some serious grief on here because he is a coward...and quite a few on here go everywhere and are not scared to say it.

The bloke is a dinosaur...and the fans of the 23 clubs expect to be below us. If we had a man in charge with some knackers and flair...we'd be ten points clear and booking our holidays.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Didn't like the way how when Portsmouth had 10 men we didn't bring on Baldock to kill them off and twice at the end it almost bit us in the ass for not putting the game to bed earlier.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

boleyn77 wrote:
I'm happy with our points and goal difference. What I'm not happy with, is the way they've been earned.
Hampshire Hammer

We've 'created' enough to be =Top.
Can I just be pedantic and point out to all the people who keep stating it, we are not equal top - we are second on goal difference with the same number of points as the top team. Equal top would be having the same number of points AND the same goal difference, though it being the West Ham way we would still be second based on alphabetical order. :wink:

The clue is that, if the season ended today, Saints would be champions.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

Romford wrote:
Sam gets some serious grief on here because he is a coward...and quite a few on here go everywhere and are not scared to say it.

The bloke is a dinosaur...and the fans of the 23 clubs expect to be below us. If we had a man in charge with some knackers and flair...we'd be ten points clear and booking our holidays.
Calling him a coward is a bit strong....& i go everywhere, and i'm not scared to say i walked out of Fratton Park pleased we had another 3 points.

He came into our club after what i would describe as the worst league campaign i've ever seen (since mid 1970's).

He now has us in an excellent position for promotion.

I'm sure the Bolton fans enjoyed their 'holidays' when he got Bolton into Europe & would swap that for where they are now.

Clearly you can't stand the fella - it's pretty clear on this forum some fans will never be happy with anything the club do.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

[quote="Hampshire Ha

Can I just be pedantic and point out to all the people who keep stating it, we are not equal top - we are second on goal difference with the same number of points as the top team. Equal top would be having the same number of points AND the same goal difference, though it being the West Ham way we would still be second based on alphabetical order. :wink:

The clue is that, if the season ended today, Saints would be champions.[/quote]

Tue Feb 14 ;

Hammers 5 Saints 0

Problem solved!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Didn't like the way how when Portsmouth had 10 men we didn't bring on Baldock to kill them off and twice at the end it almost bit us in the ass for not putting the game to bed earlier.
Why did we need to kill them off we were winning 1-0. They took a few gambles that didn't pay off in the end. I thought Portsmouth played better with ten men as they had a better shape. If it was 0-0 it would make more sense for us to go for it. They had nothing to lose by throwing more men forward. Winning 1-0 can become a habit, successful teams seem to do it more than most.

I would like to see Baldock more as well but if we could pass in the opposition half like we pass in our own half we might punish teams more. I've no doubt like several games this season we would not find his good runs because the player with the ball doesn't look up quick enough or doesn't have the confidence to hit a ball to a players feet if he's more than five feet away. At Wednesday Baldock ran the channels well, but really we need him in the box, the trouble is he is the best player we have at finding space behind a defence. He can't be in two places at once. We will not benefit from Baldock until we get a player who can regularly get the ball to his feet quickly and let him run at a defence. To me Baldock has not looked so effective since Taylor has been missing.

We need a player who will take the game to the opposition and release the ball into the space to benefit from Baldock's movement off the ball.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Why did we need to kill them off we were winning 1-0. They took a few gambles that didn't pay off in the end. I thought Portsmouth played better with ten men as they had a better shape. If it was 0-0 it would make more sense for us to go for it. They had nothing to lose by throwing more men forward. Winning 1-0 can become a habit, successful teams seem to do it more than most.
If I'm honest with you I was waiting for them to score in the last minute like Cardiff or something, they kept coming at us and I thought they may have nicked something and felt we needed to get a second to finish them off. My own opinion of course.
Coker

Post by Coker »

yeah i felt we needed to kill them off , like saints did to Forrest, 1-0 is such a risky scoreline, end of the day a 1-0 win and 3 points
maybe a few fans on here should stop watching the games and just keep an eye on the table every week ,
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Coker wrote: maybe a few fans on here should stop watching the games and just keep an eye on the table every week ,
Lots already do that and they are the ones who love Allardyce the most. IMO
Hampshire Hammer

boleyn77 wrote: Tue Feb 14 ;

Hammers 5 Saints 0

Problem solved!
Having had to live amongst the Saints deluded fans I would go mental if that happened. TBH though if forced to predict I would go for a draw, and expect BFS to be happy with that. :(