West Ham Utd 2 Nottingham Forest 1 (21/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: West Ham v Nottingham Forest match thread

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Turns to Stone wrote:Pinky gets it right more than he gets it wrong....:
Agreed.. :thup:

I even make him morally right for backing a West Ham Manager to the hilt like he did with Grant, just a shame he can't do it with the current Captain who leads us to a league Championship but never mind..
otter_of_despair

Post by otter_of_despair »

I took a non West Ham mate to the match (he supports Tottenham) and his main observation was how poor Green's distribution was and how many of our problems attacking stem from that. He always allows ample time for the opposing side to regroup and we're starting every single attack from the same point whereas with a well aimed throw we could bypass the first line of defence on a few occasions.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

otter_of_despair wrote:I took a non West Ham mate to the match (he supports Tottenham) and his main observation was how poor Green's distribution was and how many of our problems attacking stem from that. He always allows ample time for the opposing side to regroup and we're starting every single attack from the same point whereas with a well aimed throw we could bypass the first line of defence on a few occasions.
I do think it is a valid point

I have always been a fan of Green, but I make your mate right. His distribution has been a hinderance for some time. His major weakness, imo, along with coming for crosses (which he does seem to have improved somewhat)

He doesn't have the footballing skills of the likes of Reina or Hart, so I can understand him going for a safer option (which is usually a hoof in Carlton's general direction) when under pressure, but a lot of the time he does seem to just launch it when he has the time to play it out to the FB, or wait for a midfielder to drop back and receive it

I can't blame Sam for it (although maybe he could do more to encourage less of it) as it's been like it for a while. The last couple of seasons have seen it happen far too often, where we pass the ball about a bit at the back, it gets knocked back to Green, and instead of playing it short so we can continue building from the back, he just launches it
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

thought id throw my views in on the match......if Forest had a goal scorer they could have been 3 up and out of sight!!! they looked like half decent not a bottom 3 side....

We seem to lack confidence but I thought when we passed the ball quicker we did pretty well but all to often it was a panic punt up the pitch.

Reid's distribution was awful but his defending pretty sound.
Tomkins really looks like a player,
Nolan looked well off the boil.
Collison couldnt finish his dinner! dreadful chances wasted and should stop taking corners....
Baldock looks lively and trys to make the best of his position on the pitch
Faubert cant beat a man
Ringo needs support down the left.....
Carlton needs a goal and a bit more support
Noble played well should probably try and dictate a bit more and cant fault his penalty taking ability

I can see what BS is trying to do but the players literally looked scared to perform at home. The crowd was flat and expectant but had nothing to sing about..... when the team played the ball it lifted the crowd. It was a pretty dire performance in all honesty BUT its 3 points and surely perfomances can only improve????? I hope......
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The general lacjk of quality strikers in this division has been a surprise,and no doubt a factor in our relative success, as well as a burgeoning quality centre back pairing + Green.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

irving boleyn wrote:The general lacjk of quality strikers in this division has been a surprise,and no doubt a factor in our relative success, as well as a burgeoning quality centre back pairing + Green.
Agreed.

Without Tomkins, Reid, Faye and Green this year we would be in big trouble.

if we can get a striker to go up top with Baldock and a winger we could breeze the rest of the year.
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

totally agree we are a winger and a goal scorer away from romping this league......... finding one's we can afford though in January may prove tricky
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:I can't blame Sam for it
But you must.

Players can't pass five yard pass to team mate despite training all week...Sam's fault.
Players can't control perfectly hit pass on good quality surface and need three touches...Sam's fault
Players can't cross the ball despite having time and space..Sam's fault.
Players cannot shoot straight when opportunity arises or take too long to shoot...Sam's fault.
Play ball up to target man who heads into space to second striker..who is the other side of the pitch...Sam's long ball philosophy with a touch of incompetence from?...the players.

Saturday's performance was another in a long line of disappointing performances. Portsmouth I'll happily put down to negative tactics and necessity. Saturday was collective incompetence from start to finish. Nothing to do with tactics.

Several posters have mentioned that the squad may not be as good as we think it is. It is becoming more apparent with every game.

Unfortunately we didn't really have much of a starting point did we?

Green, Tomkins and Noble are the only players with any kind of consitency.
joyful

Post by joyful »

On Green's distribution: To me, it looked like he had been told to kick the ball long at every opportunity. A few times he actually made to roll it out and then went back into kicking mode.

His distribution has always been weaker than his awesome shot stopping, but it was starting to improve..
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Hockley Hammer wrote: Players can't pass five yard pass to team mate despite training all week...Sam's fault.
Players can't control perfectly hit pass on good quality surface and need three touches...Sam's fault
How can our players fail to control a pass if they are unable to pass to a team mate in the first place? :wink:
Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:
How can our players fail to control a pass if they are unable to pass to a team mate in the first place?
I'm with you on that one but I know I saw lots of both on Saturday :D

Maybe our players got in the way of mishit passes.
maltab

Post by maltab »

Not sure if it,s been mentioned in this topic but i thought Marlon got an excellent reception from the home crowd.
Was good to see.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i had fun on saturday, it was kind of a comedy game.
players falling over, slipping, tripping on the ball, bumping on their own teammates or getting hit in the face by the ball, pinball actions, throw in shots, countless misunderstandings on the side lines. i had more than a laugh!
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

hammersam wrote: Agreed.

Without Tomkins, Reid, Faye and Green this year we would be in big trouble.

if we can get a striker to go up top with Baldock and a winger we could breeze the rest of the year.
I think you can add Nolan to the list. How many points have his goals won us?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^^

Maybe as many as Noble's but whose counting...Not Sam that's for fkcuing sure....

:P
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:^^^^^^^^

Maybe as many as Noble's but whose counting...Not Sam that's for fkcuing sure....

:P
Do you think Sam does not rate Noble that highly or am I missing something
Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer »

To be fair I think Noble is one of the first names Sam will put down on the teamsheet. He seems to work well and have a good rapport with Nolan.

Noble is a decent player but has not really shone here because of circumstances of being in a poot team for seasons and being in Scott Parker's shadow.

He has got better as the season has gone on and is taking responsibility in games, taking the game to the opposition. In my opinion the best spell of football I have seen from him. I hope it continues.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote:
But you must.

Players can't pass five yard pass to team mate despite training all week...Sam's fault.
Players can't cross the ball despite having time and space..Sam's fault.
Players cannot shoot straight when opportunity arises or take too long to shoot...Sam's fault.
Play ball up to target man who heads into space to second striker..who is the other side of the pitch...Sam's long ball philosophy with a touch of incompetence from?...the players.

Saturday's performance was another in a long line of disappointing performances. Portsmouth I'll happily put down to negative tactics and necessity. Saturday was collective incompetence from start to finish. Nothing to do with tactics.

Several posters have mentioned that the squad may not be as good as we think it is. It is becoming more apparent with every game.

Unfortunately we didn't really have much of a starting point did we?

Green, Tomkins and Noble are the only players with any kind of consitency.
Hockley, maybe if it is one or two of these things, you are right, it is not Sam's fault. But when collectively we do all these things wrong, how can you not blame the coaching.

It is quite clear to me based on the way we play that we do not do much ball work in training compared to Curbs, Pardew and definitely Redknapp and Zola. When so many individuals keep making mistakes it stands out as a team thing rather than an individual thing. Why are these players committing these mistakes?

I remember one moment in the game the ball came out wide to Faubert (I pick on him but this time it wasn't his fault) and he had not a single person to pass to other than to launch it back to the goalie...but Sam was furious with him, he wanted him to launch it into the box.

On Sat we deliberately played for attacking throw in positions, when that it uilt into tactics it is no surprise when players all of a sudden get worse at passing to each other.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

hawkins_hammer wrote:When so many individuals keep making mistakes it stands out as a team thing rather than an individual thing. Why are these players committing these mistakes?
I think more responsibility lies with the crowd than with the manager, the players do not like playing at the Boleyn it seems a pretty obvious thing to me even all they way from down here, I doubt it's the training as his teams haven't been noticed in the past for being particularly incompetent with the ball, but the crowd are certainly still on the teams back, a monkey even!
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

So it's our fault we were outplayed by Forest :lol: