Ipswich Town 5 West Ham Utd 1 (31/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DustyHammer
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: One thing brilliant about the Ipswich game

Post by DustyHammer »

On the radio, the moment after they scored their first, all you could hear was Bubbles.
Top notch guys 8-)
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: Ipswich Town F.C. vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Chrissieboy »

Just have to chuckle really, don't you? Top of the league and **** sums it up. Be careful what you wish for and most of you have wished for promotion at any costs with a fat clueless northern monkey in charge. How the hell the Two Daves have run their businesses without bankruptcy in the past I do not know. First Uncle Bloody Avram and now this fat pillock. Do they just like having fat ugly blokes around to try and make themselves look better? This at least is the West Ham way. Getting stuffed 5-1 by a bunch of muppets when expected to win.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Still in absolute shock. Very painful and embarassing.

I don't have the ability to analyse the game as well as those that went but on a basic level shipping 5 goals against a sh*t team is something that certainly doesn't bode well going into the p***** game on Saturday.

I suppose it was Ipswich's revenge for us doing them two years running in the playoff semis. But it's still a massive kick in the b*llocks.

Anyway luckily Saints and Cardiff drew so it could've been worse.

Regroup and go again :crest:
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

I hope we can actually recover from this defeat - already dreading the next away game.

We cannot afford another performance like that.

So much for Sam making us hard to beat. Not so much of a 'tough unit' afterall.

I hope we can stay in the automatic slots but I fear we may slide.

COYI

:crest:
Sawbo
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by Sawbo »

Haven't read through the earlier pages of this thread, but I personally think BFS dropped a clanger by thinking Noble could play in the "wardrobe" role, in front of the back four.
Surely O'Neil or even Faye would have better options?
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Rubbish.
One up front didn't put pressure on Ipswich's suspect defence & handed them the initiative.
Cole tried hard but can't play as lone striker.
Most of team didn't look interested.
Faubert & Nolan hardly seemed to pass to one of our own players all night.
Baldock poor too, but only ever had long balls to chase.
Awful defence.
Freezing cold.
Bloke in front of me had wind problem.
Couldn't find anywhere except MacDonalds to eat.
And to cap it all they decided to close of inside of roundabout just as thousands of football fans were leaving so it took best part of an hour to get out of Ipswich.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

I will reserve my judgement on Allardyce until the end of season when his brief to get promotion, will have been achieved or otherwise. Until then I give him the benefit of the doubt, although remain of the opinion that he is a managerial dinosaur and although not the correct choice for the club (not hindsight, just personal opinion at the time of his appointment and never changed since), the obvious choice based on the owners managerial appointment history and their personal style preference.

Playing devils advocate, I do not recall Norwich or Swansea 'hoofing' their way out of the Championship last year under young, bright managers with proper footballing principles and fresh ideas.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Matt of iron wrote:...and about 5 15 year olds tried to wind us up.
Matt of iron wrote:Oh, and Ipswich fans are the muggiest morons in the world.
Hhhmmm :think:
ashbanki
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by ashbanki »

Reading the official build up to the game and it was reported we had a fully fit team bar Diop.Then why in fuckityfucksville did we turn up with our third choice RB an unfit LW and no RW?
We have pretty poor FBs as it is.The team,as a whole, couldn't be bothered and for my money I would drop Nolan and Noble can captain the next match.Collison is totally wasted at this club if he is played everywhere but his preferred position (the one Nolan will keep no matter how **** he is)Another one on the pitch who covets that position is Lansbury.Come to think of it our whole midfield last night consisted of four attacking CMs (Nolan,Noble,Collison and Lansbury) and one pretty static (due to coming back from injury,but not particularly quick at the best of times)winger Taylor.
It is pretty pointless assembling a squad that is miles better than any other in the division if you play them out of position.
Let's hope that BFS is big enough to admit his failings and not crucify any of his players but Nolan.
In the wake of this abomination of a display we must start using players in their correct positions and stop this hapless long ball nonsense to an isolated and not quite fit front man.
I hope the next team will be something like

---------------------------------------------Green--------------------------------------------

Demel----------------Tomkins----------------------------Faye---------------MaCartney

---------------------------------------------Diop-----------------------------------------------

Faubert-------------------------Noble---------------Taylor------------------------Vaz Te

-------------------------------------------Maynard--------------------------------------------

Bench - Reid,Nolan,Morrison,O'Brien and Collison/Baldock
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Sums our season up so far, the problems have been there to see. We've got good quality prem standard players but we havent got a good team because the balance isnt there. Too many slow players in midfield, lack of impetus on the break and no ability to play it around players quickly. Slow wingers, the only quick one we have in Fauxpas doesnt use it well enough and cant beat a full back. No skilful players with creativity. Totally one dimensional up front and with Cole on his own all the time can do nothing but hold the ball up or chase lost causes. The only small quick goal poacher type player we have doesnt get picked for some reason which begs the question - why buy him?

The main reason we're top is our ability to play the percentage, long ball game and then defend, the only real strong point of our team, but when that doesnt work or we fall behind we struggle, hence last night.

We need a balanced team, but the northerner doesnt seem to agree. the table would suggest to back him rather than me, but I think we're where we are more because the competition are poor rather than we are good, but while we aren't really improving, other teams are working us out.

Cardiff will overtake us soon and Southampton and Boro will catch us back up again unless we get our fingers out of our arses quick.
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

Top of the morning to you all. I take it everyone is chipper today?
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Skimming through this thread early this morning, some of the posts during the game and in the immediate aftermath is nothing short of a ****ing embarrassment.

The notion that our lone front man is mainly responsible for us being drubbed 5-1 against the team 21st in the league is quite frankly laughable.

This result has been coming for quite a while, its ground hog day all over. Only difference between this and other recent away performances since Boro is the result.

Last 10 games we’ve scored 9 goals, 3 of which are pens. Have conceded 15. That we are still top tells you all you need to know about the quality of this league.

Aside from being one of the most antiquated and boring football teams I’ve had the displeasure of watching, Biggest issue still remains the fat passenger in the cheating role in midfield.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Hopefully teams start to find us out a little more and we're forced to be abit more attacking and expansive going forward.
Ipswich are a decent passing side and they won 5-1, didn't know that was possible!
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

For those who were there:
On average how many passes did we string together before loosing the ball/shooting?
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

szola wrote:For those who were there:
On average how many passes did we string together before loosing the ball/shooting?
None
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

kthammer wrote:It was coming, but we are still top so let's not panic.
But...
what surprises me is that this is not really a typical Allardyce team. Yes, it plays it long and cautiously but we don't do the things that Bolton used to do:
1. Defend in the trenches - lines of players marking tightly, tackling physically and throwing bodies in front of shots etc
2. Smash teams at set-pieces - bully keepers, co-ordinate runs, get headers in from all over the box.
3. Play tactically - defend and concentrate for the key passages such as the first five minutes of a game and the last five minutes of a game or when you have just lost a goal.

It's strange. Our lot don't seem to be learning Sam's lessons. We are proving tough to beat overall but that's because the division is so crap and we have a better squad. The fight and discipline of a typical Allardyce team just aren't there.
Why?
You make it sound like BFS's Bolton actually won honours with his system. At best they got to europe once but were a mid table team. Which translates to they must have lost or drawn a lot of matches with his tactics. Thats what Percentage football will bring you in the premiership, and in the championship we'll get a higher percentage of victories because the opposistion are of a lower ability.
Playing percentage football is actually more of a risk in the championship than attacking these teams from the start with the players we have in my opinion.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

the pink palermo wrote:

Furthemore , both George and Winston are the worst hoofers in the team, with Winston in particular needing to be told quite simply that he cannot find a teammate with a pass further than 3 yards , so try and remember that .
Is it possible, knowing his limitations, he has been told to just clear the ball asap, when he has it? Only explanation as to why he always hoofs it away as quickly as possible, even when he clearly has time to take the ball down and look for the pass.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Yet again our team never fail to surprise us.

You look at our line-up against theirs, they had a far stronger team out at UP and played us off the park in the first half that night.

I looked at our line up and was not that unhappy. Five decent players in midfield, Taylor back, Collison in the centre, Lansbury to add a bit of bite and pace. One up front - get in the game bring Baldock on for Taylor in the second half and hopefully we would come through and get a result.

Then we kicked off...

An utter shambles from start to finish. Not one decent performance from the entire side.

We even get back into the game (undeservedly) and could get to half time, regroup and improve in the second half. That is the kind of thing that has gone for us so far this season.

What do we do? One through ball in injury time and the whole team is split wide open, a needless penalty and that was it game over.

On the miserable drive home (thank you to the c*** who decided to cone the main roundabout out of Ipswich) the worrying thing was picking a team for Saturday based on recent performances.

We got to Green,Tomkins,Noble and probably Reid - after that we struggled. It shows how bad we were we thought Diop would go straight back in for a home game if fit!

Faubert(at right back),Collison,Lansbury and Nolan have all been shocking in recent games. Cole has been poor but his isolation up front does not excuse his poor control under no pressure at times.

The only highlight was the Southampton - Cardiff result letting us off the hook slightly.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

What surprises me is the amount of people that say I wouldn't watch that **** week in week out when we play the likes of Bolton / Stoke etc, but are now plating Sam.
Football's dire - last night we got torn a new one deservedly.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

I just say one of those days. Solid performances over the last few weeks to get in a good position, get thrashed, this should follow up once again with solid performances. I'd rather get thrashed 5-1 and just say we were ****, rather then let in another last minute winner.