The Olympic Stadium: Poll IV

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you support the Board's plans to move WHUFC to the Olympic Stadium post-this summer's games?

Yes
23%
No
60%
Unsure
17%

Total votes: 808

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

The Olympic Stadium: Poll IV

Post by Up the Junction »

As promised, a new poll on the club's proposed move to Stratford.

For the results of our three previous polls on the Olympic Stadium, see http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: The Olympic Stadium: Poll IV

Post by The Rebirth »

Sticking to my guns

(even though this isn't the best time to host a poll IMHO) :thup:
turks

Post by turks »

I was in favour but no longer the conditions have changed :thdn:
STL Hammer

Post by STL Hammer »

Until I see the plans, I don't know which way to vote. But I guess then it might be too late...

STRESSED!!!
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Yes as long as the Board get everything they want on their terms, if not walk away.
I trust them to do what is best for our club. :crest:
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

I've voted yes previoulsy. But, there now seems to be too little information on what the terms of our tenancy would be, so I am now unsure
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Not enough information available to make a concrete decision, cant make a choice without the full facts, so its an unsure from me.
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

Unless its on our terms and converted to how WE want it... No!
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1483 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

It was a no when spurs were bidding and when we were to be part owners and sharing profits from other revenues, so it's a resounding no for me now considering we will have much worse terms then previously.
Last edited by paulhs1 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

I think last time out the emergence of Tottenham swayed peoples decision to vote in favour, due to wanting to get one over on them. I don't honestly believe they ever intended to move to Stratford, I think they used it to hold their council to ransom and we played ball with them.

It could potentially be a great move for us but at the current time there are too many doubts hanging over it; tenancy, running track, seating etc that I just cannot vote in favour. I have always been against it anyway, due to not wanting to leave BG but taking that bias away, I still am not convinced it will be a good move.

For me, if we can realistically add 5,000ish seats to the East Stand, perhaps joining the corners too, I'd be much more behind doing that. Without knowing the logistics, it looks as though they could add seating to all of the corners and make it more of an 'arena'.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I don't think now is a great time to do a poll tbh - no-one seems to know exactly what we'd be getting if we go to Stratford, and no-one seems to know whether we can actually add capacity at the Boleyn or not - a pretty big factor on whether we should stay or not.

I used to be a firm 'yes' in favour of the move, but for now I'm going to have to put unsure. My reasoning previously was that I could put up with a few years of a converted athletics stadium if it meant we'd eventually be able to take the track out a few years down the line - that's looking less and less likely now. Will await further developments...
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Voted No...

It won't be our home.

Why rent when you already own your own home?
MrBen
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MrBen »

I was initially in favour - sacrificing a football ground steeped in history for a soulless bowl but with great transport links and the potential to earn significant non match day income to enable us to reach the next level.

There's surely nothing left of value in this proposal for us now.

We need fresh capital (as we have ever since the Tevez debacle); to be run competently (no gimmicks, no Benni McCarthy's/ Freddie Ljungberg's) and to have a realistic plan for the future.

Despite a number of years of gross (criminal?) mismanagement we still managed to generate nearly £90m in revenue in 2010 - the 31st largest in Europe / 10th biggest in England.

Control the cost base, invest in playing assets with a realisable value and then it won't be too long before we can replace the embarrassment that is the East Stand and take the capacity up to at least 45k (or the 7th biggest in England / as much as Anfield).

:crest:
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

turks wrote:I was in favour but no longer the conditions have changed :thdn:
Same for me and, I suspect, the board.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I voted no, as Row X pointed out why rent when you already own a home.
Happyhammer

Post by Happyhammer »

I said no last time, would have said YES! this time, IF... and only if we had all the same thing's as we would have had if we was going to buy. Well in name I mean. thanks scum!!!
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rasp »

We do not know enough either way yet to vote do we...Unsure.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

The board have got to play hardball on this. Unless they are certain that this athletics stadium can be made to feel like our football ground then we should give it a very wide berth. (wider than the gap between the stands and the pitch!).

Massive NO from me.

The OPLC and all the other politicians can stick their white elephant..... :thdn:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

New East Stand and go up to 40,000, as all agreed and planned until the Icelanders turned up

Espanyol and Bayern Munich have both moved out of Olympic Stadiums

Bayern Munich
Many people, however, began to feel that the stadium was too cold in winter, with half the audience exposed to the weather due to lack of cover. A further complaint was the distance between the spectators and the pitch, the stadium betraying its track and field heritage. Modification of the stadium proved impossible as the architect Günther Behnisch vetoed major modifications of the stadium.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

No, it will never be anything like the Boleyn, it won't have that special feeling, it won't be our home, it will probably be further back. That feeling of turning up on match day walking down Green Street, the pubs along the way. I don't want to lose that, the Boleyn is our home and the OS isn't a good enough reason to leave.