West Ham Utd 0 Crystal Palace 0 (25/02/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by smuts »

Can I just say how well Dougie Freedman comes over in his post match presser?

Well worth a read on the home page here.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

the pink palermo wrote:
Did he ?

I wanted to see Ravel yesterday - Sam clearly thinks he isn't ready yet .

How many real options did Sam have ?
He could have played 3 or 4 of he subs from the start possibly?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

carnage wrote:He could have played 3 or 4 of he subs from the start possibly?
So, of his matchday squad who would you have started with Carnage ?

I don't buy the fatigue stuff . At all .
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

He did say he was worried about tiredness before the game. We were flat, it happens.

I am not saying I would have done anything different. It he could have started with Cole and stuck O'Neill on the right of the 3. Maybe even Lansbury for Collison.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

carnage

Collison had, by common consent, his best game for ages against Blackpool .He played 46 minutes against Millwall and 21 minutes against Saints. Most posters had him down asd being ineffective against Palace - but his total pitch time in the 3 previous games was 157 minutes , so whatever Collison was or wasn't I don't buy the fatigue .Sam played him for the full 90 against Palace anyway .

Faubert, on the right , gets selected for his pace .He only played 54 minutes against Blackpool and went off to allow Lansbury to come on for Green - so no 10 man fatigue syndrome for him .He got taken off early against Millwall as well .

Vaz Te, on the other hand, got cramp in the 88th minute up at Blackpool , and may have been tired .He got picked because Taylor wasn't available .

That's what I mean by "did he have options ? " .

Most posters reckon we looked better in the second half with Cole .It wasn't because Maynard was tired and Cole was fresh .

In short, we don't have that many midfielders, certainly not enough to allow 2 to be banned at the same time .
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

the pink palermo wrote:
So, of his matchday squad who would you have started with Carnage ?

I don't know about carnage, but I would have started 442 with Cole & Baldock upfront
In midfield, Tomkins, Noble (central) with Faubert and Vaz Te wide.
Hindsight is wonderful, but from his post-match comments, it seems BFS thinks he got it wrong.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

smuts wrote:Can I just say how well Dougie Freedman comes over in his post match presser?
A breath of fresh air, smuts. The antithesis of that Scouse twat at Southampton.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

richiepap wrote: Strange how people see different things because I thought Noble was involved more than anyone else, either putting a foot in or trying to create something.
I mean't compared to recent games.He still did ok but would be hard to keep up those great performances.
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

All this second guessing of the Manager is pointless - all you can do is comment on what went out onto the field.

Green and Faye were outstanding - either could have been MOTM.

McCartney, O'Brien, and Tomkins were solid.

Noble was ok - he had a lot of the ball but slowed the play down too much.

Maynard was lively but got no service, Baldock the same - even more lively again no service.

Cole did better than in recent matches but was mostly ineffective.

O'Neill didn't register on my scale at all.

Vaz Te, Faubert and Collison were poor - Faubert being his normal erratic self, Vaz Te looking good on the ball but weak in the tackle and positively 'bottling' out of a couple of challenges. Collison tried some flashy flicks when a simple ball was required - just seems a bit full of himself with very little to back it up.

Reid was hopeless in the first half, mistiming most of his challenges and losing the ball - he improved in the second half.

Have I forgotten anyone?

All in all a poor performance, nothing to write home about - Crystal Palace were organised and we didn't have the wit, skill or endeavour to break them down - not a good day!
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

smuts wrote:Can I just say how well Dougie Freedman comes over in his post match presser?

His comments on Noble tell you he knows what he's talking about.... :thup:
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Soton_Hammer wrote:Terrible result. Standard really.

Baldock- Really dont rate him, missed glourious chances throughout, Goodness knows how he plays above Carew and Piq
Faye- Strong but switches off too often, very frustrating
Maynard- I know its early but he needs to impress more.

Wish we had bought a proven centre mid in january.
-
So the player who came on and had our two best chances in the entire match isn't rated....did you even watch the game Headbanger
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Bishops Finger wrote:All this second guessing of the Manager is pointless - all you can do is comment on what went out onto the field.

Green and Faye were outstanding - either could have been MOTM.

McCartney, O'Brien, and Tomkins were solid.

Noble was ok - he had a lot of the ball but slowed the play down too much.

Maynard was lively but got no service, Baldock the same - even more lively again no service.

Cole did better than in recent matches but was mostly ineffective.

O'Neill didn't register on my scale at all.

Vaz Te, Faubert and Collison were poor - Faubert being his normal erratic self, Vaz Te looking good on the ball but weak in the tackle and positively 'bottling' out of a couple of challenges. Collison tried some flashy flicks when a simple ball was required - just seems a bit full of himself with very little to back it up.

Reid was hopeless in the first half, mistiming most of his challenges and losing the ball - he improved in the second half.

Have I forgotten anyone?

All in all a poor performance, nothing to write home about - Crystal Palace were organised and we didn't have the wit, skill or endeavour to break them down - not a good day!
-
I wonder if some people were watching the same game as everyone else, Noble got MotM yet you say he was "OK" and slowed the game down. Are you not forgetting that the Palace defenders and midfield were all over our players as soon as they got the ball, hardly Nobles fault...plus you tend to be disagreeing with Dougie an experienced pro who praises Noble. Baldock, lively but no service - so how come he had our two best chances in the second half - he must had got service from somewhere.....Cole mostly ineffective, his pass to Baldock was pure class, Cole can;t be blamed for the ref pulling him up every two minutes....

Jeez some posters on here dunarf give me the ump Headbanger
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Looking back at the highlights I really do think this was a good point for us.

A couple of fantastic tackles from the likes of Faye. Solid as a rock.

I also realised how important Rob Green has been this season. Obviously it goes without saying he has had a great season but sometimes I take it for granted just how good he is and how fortunate we are to have him. I think come the end of the season he will of gained us about 8-10 points which we wouldn't of had otherwise.

Surely he must be up there with Ludo now? What a fantastic servant he has been to this club. Top marks Greeno :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Last edited by Bobby Orangeboom on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Orangeboom

It was just one of them days where we came up against a decent, well organised side that we couldn't break down.

It's not the first time it's happened this season & i doubt it will be the last.

IF Baldock would have taken one of his chances we would have won it, if Collison was as great technically than people seem to suggest then we would have won it at the end, but neither did or are so we only drew,

Get over it, move on and start thinking about Cardiff.
Last edited by Bobby Orangeboom on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the pink palermo wrote:
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Maybe you don't but it would only go to show further evidence of how little you do actually know about professional football, in its modern form..
Says the resident expert .......educate me Bob on why Faubert would be fatigued .
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:
Says the resident expert .......educate me Bob on why Faubert would be fatigued .
I'm no expert, but you're FAR from what you think you are with regards to your footballing knowledge ( the Kyle Walker episode summed you up completely ) i know that much..

& anyway i deleted what i wrote because after thinking about it, i thought i was probably wrong for saying it..

I'm smart you see and admit when i'm wrong so i don't mind doing things like that, unlike you.. :wink:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the pink palermo wrote:
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: I'm no expert, but you're FAR from what you think you are with regards to your footballing knowledge ( the Kyle Walker episode summed you up completely ) i know that much..
Ah yes, your love in with the Spurs player they picked up from the Blunts .Yes, I seem to recall saying I doubted his defensive abilities on his England debut .I had my views confirmed yesterday with a couple of shocking bits of defending by him .Not saying he was to blame for the 5 goals btw , but he made a couple of poor errors of judgement .He has much to learn, which he may do , but as things stand I'll stand by my initial assessment , which was let's see how he does in the Euro's .
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: & anyway i deleted what i wrote because after thinking about it, i thought i was probably wrong for saying it..
No idea what you wrote other than what I replied to .....
Bobby Orangeboom wrote: I'm smart you see and admit when i'm wrong so i don't mind doing things like that, unlike you..
You're smart ? I really have heard it all now Bob . When I asked you to educate me, that was one pearl of wisdom I never thought I'd read :wink:

p.s self praise is no praise , as Kyle Walkers granny used to say to him .
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Why? Because he licked our arse?

I wonder if you would have the same opinion of him if he said we were lucky to get a point and we weren't gona win the league?!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

A disappointing performance, but give some credit to Palace, who played exceptionally well in the first half.

At least we got better in the second half and could have sneaked it.

Pleased with the clean sheet and in a 46 game season there were always going to be days like this, just take the point and move on.

With hindhsight maybe changes should have been made, but letting loose the players that did so well at Blackpool was hardly a risk was it?

Cannot believe people would boo the team after having improved in the second half and got a point. It seems the cretins are still turning up rather than returning when we get promoted to boo the fact we are not champions league contenders :thdn:

Cardiff showed yesterday that the championship is full of hard working teams who set themselves up to be difficult to beat, and it is hard to break them down.

Palace were one of the best organised teams we have played so far this season, we can't say that we ever really dominated the game so to emerge with a point was not the end of the world.