Taking the 25k seater Stadium...

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mr_Andersonn

Re: Taking the 25k seater Stadium...

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

taffhammer wrote: You may get a clearer view but it doesn't make any difference what the rake of a stand is like when it comes to viewing distance, if your in row 20 you'd still be the same distance from the pitch if the stand was flat or straight up in the air because you'd just be higher up. So as long as they built it so you get a clear view of athletics it should be ok for any sport.
Which is why a retractable lower tier is required.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Exactly ,the rakes fine but it needs to be nearer the pitch for football.The location is perfect but the longer it goes on the less the right the stadium is looking. If the original idea was to dismantle the top tier , sell it and keep the lower tier as a 25k stadium. Why don't we build a new lower tier that would come right up to pitch elsewhere on the olympic site and take the upper tier off their hands and put it up over our newly built lower tier. Plenty of room for exec boxes etc and a stadium fit for football.
whu92

Post by whu92 »

First of all,Sutts your effors are brilliant. I think there is a way forward with what you are suggesting. Secondly anything I am offering is in the interest of discussion and may not be viable. When I first started going to matches as a kid in the age of terraces the entrances costs were dirt cheap , I had a terrible veiw, but had a fantastic time because of the chanting ,atmosphere etc. Up until this season I have been seated in the STBU , veiw very good, the atmosphere was more about familiar faces, banter , and dependant on how we played or who we played. In general very good. This year we're in the BML , standing, veiw not good, more singing , atmosphere acceptable. So for the sake of debate what I would say is that with different people after different experiences ,the lower teir should stay largely as it is at present with dirt cheap pricing. Possibly the sides between the 18 yard box's slightly higher.As far as the upper teirs are concerned, already there exists a mecano set ,demountable, reconfigurable entity, so if it were possible to have the upper teirs directly above the lower teirs in maybe a cantilever sort of set up, there may be more people happier. Particularly if as Sutts suggests it it were possible to square off the ends behind the goals with I expect seats that can be removed when the track is needed. I would prefer a complete wrap around seating but that may never be possible because this stadium was not planned from the beginning. So if the 4 sides did not meet at the corners ,so what, many other grounds don't have this. I guess if we go to Stratford , at first nothing much will change. Any improvements will depend on the success of the team and investment. I think the point I am making is that the legacy is about the track. The stadium doesn't need to keep the same outer perimiter, or even shape. The more compact the stands, the cheaper the roof.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

whu92 wrote:I would prefer a complete wrap around seating but that may never be possible because this stadium was not planned from the beginning.
The upper tier would be a complete wrap if my idea was put into use.

Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

is there no way to somehow have permanent seats close to the pitch and the track then built up above the lower tier somehow when needed?