Cardiff City 0 West Ham Utd 2 (04/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

brownout wrote:I didn't hide that I was West Ham when we scored but no one seemed to mind (as it should be)
You weren't by any chance in the bar area at half time, wearing our shirt, were you?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: Then, audible only to them, the old fire drill went off.
Nothing gives me more pleasure than when the opposition fans start evacuating their own ground with 15 minutes remaining .The utter gutlessness of it , the willingness to mekely surrender , give in , and offer nothing but a pitiful surrender ........it was only 0-2 and they gave up .

Welshmen will not yield ? Stanley Baker would have been mortified had the Cardiff fans been under his command at Rourkes drift .

I hope they finish 7th , on goal difference - missing out by a single goal , which had their "support" stayed on , they may have got .

Re: Cardiff City V West Ham United: Match Thread

the pink palermo wrote:I hope they finish 7th , on goal difference - missing out by a single goal , which had their "support" stayed on , they may have got .
:lol: Wow! I didn't mean to dig them out quite that much, but, then again, one of them sourced me my ticket...
Avram's Lucky Scarf

Post by Avram's Lucky Scarf »

The majority of the early games seem to be rather flat. We was by far the better side and it was the last thing Cardiff would of wanted to face. Very solid at the back (best defence), hard working all over the pitch and we should of really killed them off at the start of the second.

Majority of the big boys at home now so we must make it count. 10 wins away from home is brilliant. :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Pinky

Check out the Rangers site..they're trying to get a movement going against the "Subway Loyal" who traipse out with time on the clock especially the last game (which wasn't sold out iirc) in their given circumstance.

Unconscionable they claim.

If you can't get those loyal folks to stay (singing "Rangers 'til I die" on the way out) what hope for the Taffs..

:wink:
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

You weren't by any chance in the bar area at half time, wearing our shirt, were you?
No, thought wearing colours was pushing it a bit - didn't want to get chucked out.

You and me both. I had a quick word with a hammer in our shirt. Clearly more than a few of us in the home stand.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

cockney hammer wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In good voice! Especially as we were restricted to 1800 tickets or whatever it was.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

cockney hammer wrote:
That was brilliant. Needs athread on its own :) It will get lost on here.

Love the 'fire drill' chant.
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Only just posting this, but here's my two pennies. Thought we were fantastic and defended very well. Noble and the defence were great, and Maynard looked threatening on the counter.

But being a usual pessimistic Hammer, just some negatives too, although I know I'm being picky.

-Bringing Cole on was an error in my opinion. I know he'll get flak etc for being lazy etc. But I felt sorry for him as he was offered no support by our midfield and we sat back for the last 20 mins. We looked so much for effective on the counter. Thought Baldock might have been a better choice, well as long as he had support. I though we just put ourselves under the cosh for no reason, and sure enough they were resorted to long range shots, but if the free kick goes in and they score last minute that's 2-2 although.......

-.....we should've been out of sight by then. Were we using rugby posts for shooting practice in Dubai? Some of the chances were guilt ridden. I thought at first Vaz Te should've gone off for Maynard, and even though he set up for Nolan, that one on one should've been buried amongst others. But atl least he was getting in those positions I guess.

-Would be nice to have some wrong foot training, a few times McCartney and Faye put themselves under pressure my not suing their weaker feet and trying to turn onto their stronger side.

Er........that's it :lol:

Granted that is picky, but just stuff I noticed whilst watching it on the beeb from a treadmill at Fitness First Romford. Got me through my 2 hour run!

I feared for our remaining away games for some reason, but not anymore COYI
hammersgirl7573

Post by hammersgirl7573 »

brownout wrote:Refusing to do the voucher exchange I travelled by train & sat with home fans in the 'Grandstand', opposite away fans.
Our support was excellent in terms of noise (if not huge numbers) while Cardiff was poor. Nothing like Ninian Park - seemed more like a theatre audience where I was.
I didn't hide that I was West Ham when we scored but no one seemed to mind (as it should be)
Nice to hear comments that West Ham best team to have played there this season - but they didn't like the ref! or Faye!
I also sat in the Grandstand but nearer the Canton end, I guess the opposite end to you as the Cardiff fans did not stop singing throughout, I hardly heard the West Ham fans - so I suppose it really does depend on where you sit.

I also cheered when we scored, no one took any notice of me, and at the very end when I finally put my claret and blue scarf on -
by this point me and my dad (Cardiff fan) were the only ones left in our row!

Quite a few Cardiff fans came up to me saying good win and hoped we got automatic promotion.

Incidentally, I'm from Cardiff and my dad called me a Judas all day for not supporting my 'home' team :lol:
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

Forgot to mention the fans, top class

:crest:
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

Fun stuff, too bad they use so much language there... Everyone like that?
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

theflafson wrote:
Fun stuff, too bad they use so much language there... Everyone like that?
Civilized language is one of the things that sets Human Beings apart from the rest of the Animal's so yes, a big portion of people do use it.
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

-

Who's the big geezer at 4.41 - any of you mugs on here..?
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio... fkn hilarious.

Romford Iron wrote: -Bringing Cole on was an error in my opinion. I know he'll get flak etc for being lazy etc. But I felt sorry for him as he was offered no support by our midfield and we sat back for the last 20 mins. We looked so much for effective on the counter. Thought Baldock might have been a better choice, well as long as he had support. I though we just put ourselves under the cosh for no reason, and sure enough they were resorted to long range shots, but if the free kick goes in and they score last minute that's 2-2 although.......
The way I saw it was in the small difference of approach that Cole gives over Maynard.

Maynard is going to win fewer headers than Cole, but is quicker across the floor if, for instance Ricky Vaz has got past his full back. Find some space and the theory goes that RVT can slip Maynard through for a one on one (or at least a shot from within the area).

Cole represents the more direct route when those two players have tired...

In a way, the tactic worked - we had three shots over the bar before half time. If one had gone in, before Nolan's goal, we'd have been home and hosed (to a fair degree).

Those appear now to be Plans A & B. I'd personally be well unhappy, if I were Sam Baldock, but the control we had at Cardiff over the weekend serves to justify Big Sam's approach from the point of view of the whole team.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

"Danny Dyer, where are you you pwopa nawty c*nt?" :lol:
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

Cardiff were always going to have a spell at some point in the game like they did in the second half, i think it was just coinidence that it was when Cole came on, i thought it was the right choice personally and i said to the old man he needs to come on and put himself about, make the ball stick and give cardiff something else to think about, problem is you just don't know which Carlton is going to turn up the one who was fantastic against Wall doing all of the above mentioned things, and doing them well, or sundays version where nothing sticks when it's played to him and he fails to have any impact on the game, it's probably the main reason he's still with us (thankfully) not quite consistent enough!