West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Moth

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by The Moth »

What an awful thing to for him to say. :thdn:
Indeed. Im sure it fills cole baldock maynard etc with confidence to hear him moan about them after every game we fail to win. To then say if only we had our rivals striker is shocking imo. Could you imagine ferguson saying if only they had aguero or van persie?!

BFS can be a right twat sometimes, hes never given any striker a regular spot this season , constantly chopped and changed from piq,carew,baldock,cole,nouble,maynard etc. Personally I think coles done well to manage 9 this far given how our team is set up and the lack of regular ,consecutive starts!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

The Moth wrote:Could you imagine ferguson saying if only they had aguero or van persie?!
Yes. Or words to those effect.

Difference is, he would expect to see a marked improvement from his players on the back of it and the full support of his fans, rather than heating up a water bottle and an electric blanket for the poor little cherubs.

Jesus Christ, these are grown men employed on million pound contracts to do a job.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Sam's been around long enough to know what hes doing with comments like that. And if our strikers take that as an insult then they simply should not be professionals
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The Moth wrote: Indeed. Im sure it fills cole baldock maynard etc with confidence to hear him moan about them after every game we fail to win. To then say if only we had our rivals striker is shocking imo. Could you imagine ferguson saying if only they had aguero or van persie?!

BFS can be a right twat sometimes, hes never given any striker a regular spot this season , constantly chopped and changed from piq,carew,baldock,cole,nouble,maynard etc. Personally I think coles done well to manage 9 this far given how our team is set up and the lack of regular ,consecutive starts!
Can I imagine Alex Ferguson publicly having a go at one of his players to try and get more out of them? I don't need to...I could just youtube it. We've missed a shedload of chances this year. Our strikers specifically, fine...they haven't always started regularly. But then I'm not sure Cole's knees cold have taken 30 plus games this season.

So far this year, I've heard Mancini, Ferguson, Redknapp and AVB publicly berate their players at a press conference. Allardyce is trying to motivate them. I'm not sure that makes him a 'right twat'.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Major wrote:I blame the icelandics and their overhyped 4 year plan, some of teh idiots at West Ham actually thought it was true!!! at least with Terry you knew where you were!!
Don't be silly Major.

It was a 5 year plan.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Jesus Christ, these are grown men employed on million pound contracts to do a job.

Exactly, they need to be ****ing told. We had enough chances to win that game and Cole, Maynard and Baldock spurned them. Vaz Te, took his. Too many times this season have they missed chances, hence why we have such low number of goals from out front men.

They need a kick up the arse, not a ****ing cuddle.
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

i know it wont happen but shirley giving young ravel a go is an option, skill, craft, pace all the things we lack, get him on sam
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

One thing I kept finding myself thinking last night, was how we have absolutely nobody that gets the juices flowing when they get the ball. No flair. No excitement. Blimey, I even used to enjoy seeing Konchesky have a run down the left last time we were down here.

I actually think, dare I say this, we just ain't very good. We have poor players, and I think really it is as simple as that as to why we are not running away with the league. With the exception of Green, Tomkins, Faye Nolan, and Noble, the rest of them are just avarage players in an average team.

I'm not looking forward to promotion, because unless a totally new team is built, we are going to get seriously punished week in week out.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I didn't hear any booing, other than when Taylor went off. Certainly not at the end.

Having said that, I did have one of the biggest melts I've ever encountered at the Boleyn standing a couple of rows behind - bloke in a suit, screaming himself hoarse at every missed placed pass until he was reduced to screaming "POOO-BERT! POOOOOO-BERT!" at Julian after the Watford goal went in. Vaz Te's goal went in, half the people around us turned to see his reaction - and he was leaving. Quality support.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Dyer's Leg wrote:I'm not looking forward to promotion, because unless a totally new team is built, we are going to get seriously punished week in week out.
We said the same 5 years ago with Reo-Coker, Etherington, Zamora, Mullins etc.

I would have said the same about Swansea or Norwich last year. Get out of this division and everything changes. We're fortunate in this division that we currently have at least 5 Prem players (that you mention above) how many other sides in this division could say that?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

ymcahammer wrote:i know it wont happen but shirley giving young ravel a go is an option, skill, craft, pace all the things we lack, get him on sam
Have you seen him train ? talked to him at all ? know the circumstances of his personal life ? how he is settling in? all this sort of stuff that the manager and club will hopefully know in depth..........or is it that you've seen him do some stuff on you tube and heard of his reputation and potential ?

He isn't being played........I would suspect there is a very good reason and it probably goes along the lines of getting the kid settled, find his feet and hopefully that initail settling in period will lead to a better footballer and person in the long run.

If he doesn't beat four players the first time he touches the ball............well, I can hear the groans already, "He was better on you tube".................If he is that brilliant and is capable of influencing games at an important time of the season I suspect Alardyce will be the first to know............and to give him the chance.
ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by ironsonthebrain »

Dyer's Leg wrote:One thing I kept finding myself thinking last night, was how we have absolutely nobody that gets the juices flowing when they get the ball. No flair. No excitement. Blimey, I even used to enjoy seeing Konchesky have a run down the left last time we were down here.

I actually think, dare I say this, we just ain't very good. We have poor players, and I think really it is as simple as that as to why we are not running away with the league. With the exception of Green, Tomkins, Faye Nolan, and Noble, the rest of them are just avarage players in an average team.

I'm not looking forward to promotion, because unless a totally new team is built, we are going to get seriously punished week in week out.

I thought that this was squad was put together to get promotion and that it was a given that very few of the current players will be kept on if we go up - because they clearly are not up to Prem standard. Green ,Noble, Collison, Tomkins perhaps see if Baldock or Maynard can make the step up but there ain't too many others .

You're spot on about the lack of flair and excitement - we're just grinding out results at home, although some of the away performances have been ok. I've never felt matches drag at UP as I have this season!

And as for BFS, what was that comment on Sunday? Sending the fans home happy ..again! Fair enough on Sunday but I can't say as i've been 'happy' leaving UP too many times this season! Pissed off when we've lost late on (Cardiff, Ipswich) or just plain relieved (like after nicking a point at the death last night)
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:I think that's why Sam Baldock gets a good rub of the green in the way of criticism - because he's a little cutey pie.

Nice little lad, harmless, cute little face like a little smurf, which makes it hard for people to objectively criticise him.
Give it time mate, he'll soon become one of "the Gargamel Gang" along with CC, Sears, Piq, Carew, etc etc.

Looking like a Smurf can only save you for so long.
beckton

Post by beckton »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
Or a brilliant thing to get the best out of our strikers who should be determined to ram these words down the manager's throat - as per his intentions.

Our strikers aren't little children.

Or it could just be a load of old nonsense to deflect criticsm away from himself. He was blaming our strikers for our **** home form before he signed Maynard and Vaz Te. And he still is! :lol:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

To be fair, WERE there actually that many chances for the strikers to bury last night? BFS says we created loads, but mainly what I remember is things continuously getting muffed in midfield. Faubert's boot is still the place where promising moves go to die.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

[quote="beckton"]Or it could just be a load of old nonsense to deflect criticsm away from himself. He was blaming our strikers for our **** home form before he signed Maynard and Vaz Te. And he still is![quote]

Oh right... was it Allardyce that laced up a pair of boots and morphed into Sam Baldock and missed 2 sitters on Sunday?
Or perhaps Allardyce that ghosted his way into the soul of the other players that have missed a good 5-6 gilt edge chances in the last couple of home games? :lol:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think yesterday was the worst match i have been to in a long time. Both teams were abysmal and couldn't pass or control a ball properly and the crowd were truly awful. The boo boys were out in full force yesterday. Was funny when they booed Allardyce decision to take Taylor off and put Vaz Te on and drop Faubert to right back, when it actually turned the game on its head and rescued a point.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Turns to Stone wrote:
Can I imagine Alex Ferguson publicly having a go at one of his players to try and get more out of them? I don't need to...I could just youtube it.
Thats not what I said though. I said could you imagine him naming a rival teams player and saying "if we had him wed be o.k"?

Nothing wrong with pulling up players who are not performing, its just its seems every game we fail to win he makes these type of comments, never mentions fauberts consistently poor delivery or our lack of creativity.

I cant see how it would have a positive effect to publically and continually point the finger at our strikers. We have nine of them ffs , all of which could and should be scoring at this level. Clearly its a confidence issue and BFS has failed to get the best out of over 100k a weeks worth of strikers.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

I am going to have my say now.

Faubert performance was absolutely pathetic. How he managed to stay on the pitch for the whole 100 mins when it was quite clear he was having an absolute stinker is anyones guess. What position was he playing for f*** sake? It looked to me as though he was playing centre forward rather than right midfield. We had absolutely no width at all. He was so far in-field.

Cole. Awful. All the physical attributes of a target man, but simply is incapable of heading the ball on.

Defence did ok, as I thought did Nolan.

Allardyces tactics at home just dont work. We are better away because teams come out more and it gives us a chance to get in behind. At home, teams just sit deep and if our long balls up to Cole dont come off, we struggle to break teams down.

I am sorry, but the comment from someone that me missed Collison is totally misplaced. He has been terrible this season.
Last edited by lukeWHU on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Turns to Stone wrote: Possibly. We have missed a lot of chances this season. Nolan has been a repeat offender, but Maynard, Cole, Piquionne, Carew, Baldock have all been guilty of this.

But no criticsm of Nolan, just our strikers.

Maynard missed a couple of chances against Cardiff and Baldock the same against Palace. I just don't remember us creating umpteen chances for our strikers to miss this season, particularly at home.