West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harlow Hammer
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Harlow Hammer »

I thought Vaz Te looked quite lively when he came definate inproved from the palace game.

Although I don't like the long ball game when played correctly it is effective. Shame we can even do that right some times, the two strikers on opposite sides of the pitch. Cole's flick on's to no one make him look bad but Baldock and Maynard should be sniffing round his feet picking them up.

I noticed yesterday that no one wanted the ball, no one want to drive the team forward and we had very little creativity in the midfield

When do eventually start passing it about we have been untouchable this season but as mentioned before when teams come to defend with 9 at the back is is very difficult to make that incisive pass.

I believe we would have scored more if they didn't have half the team defending on the goal line.

We also seem to be attracting a lot of new fans that think we should be strolling the league and winning 5 - 0 every week. Not going to happen and we need to grind results out against stubborn opponents.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Aceface wrote:To be fair, WERE there actually that many chances for the strikers to bury last night? BFS says we created loads, but mainly what I remember is things continuously getting muffed in midfield. Faubert's boot is still the place where promising moves go to die.
:thup:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Dyer's Leg wrote:I'm not looking forward to promotion, because unless a totally new team is built, we are going to get seriously punished week in week out.
Turns to Stone wrote:We said the same 5 years ago with Reo-Coker, Etherington, Zamora, Mullins etc.

I would have said the same about Swansea or Norwich last year. Get out of this division and everything changes. We're fortunate in this division that we currently have at least 5 Prem players (that you mention above) how many other sides in this division could say that?
With respect, a lot of us didn't, myself included. The team that was promoted last time out was young, hungry, full of pace, power and a manager at the helm who was willing to attack the premier league the "west ham way" - hate using that but the point I am trying to make stands.

This squad is more robust, more solid and more resiliant to play away from home. HOWEVER, it lacks the pace, width and creativity that made staying up in 05/06 a reality. Much like Swansea/Norwich are looking at this season.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

The Gibbins wrote:I think yesterday was the worst match i have been to in a long time. Both teams were abysmal and couldn't pass or control a ball properly and the crowd were truly awful. The boo boys were out in full force yesterday. Was funny when they booed Allardyce decision to take Taylor off and put Vaz Te on and drop Faubert to right back, when it actually turned the game on its head and rescued a point.
I dont think the Faubert aspect of this change turned the game on its head.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

The Melon scale hit as massive 7.5 out of 10 last night as the wally's of West Ham United were in full voice. Carlton Cole and Faubert were described as 'fookin shight' and 'farkin rubbish' and fat Sam didn't know 'what the fark are you doin?' When doing substitutes. Seriously think when we have a full house it is because absolute R Soles have come out of hibernation and stopped watching barcelona to come to the Boleyn to see how we compare. Carlton vs Messi. I reckon I could have wiped out half the stadium if I had a ray gun.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Turns to Stone wrote:We said the same 5 years ago with Reo-Coker, Etherington, Zamora, Mullins etc.

I would have said the same about Swansea or Norwich last year. Get out of this division and everything changes. We're fortunate in this division that we currently have at least 5 Prem players (that you mention above) how many other sides in this division could say that?
I know I never said that.

The team seemed different then. There was a buzz about the place. Zamora, Etherington, Reo-Coker, they gave you a feeling of excitement when they got on the ball. Who we got in our team that does that now?

Take the younger players from that team. Zamora, Ferdinand, Reo-Coker, Etherington, all playing in the top flight still. Mixed in with seasoned pro's like Teddy, Shaka, Rob Lee, Powell, and the grafters like Mullins, add a Harewood, and Pardew should have done better.

We then put Yossi and Ashton in the mix the following season, and still on a high from our promotion, we were the Swansea or Norwich in our first season. Got found out big time in the second season though.

Hand on heart, I honestly can't see us being next season's Norwich or Swansea.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1193 likes

Post by ironilunga »

ironsonthebrain wrote:With the exception of Green, Tomkins, Faye Nolan, and Noble, the rest of them are just avarage players in an average team.
Its a team though that is in the automatic promotion places for a return to the prem. It is cobbled togeather by a manager who knows what he is doing. If we go up then many of the players will be released, or sent back to their mother clubs and the others will perhaps be squad players. The likes of Maynard, Vaz and Baldock are low risk signings that can be sold for a very small loss if they do not cut it in the prem.

Its all good at the moment.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Dyer's Leg wrote:
:thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Harlow Hammer wrote:When we do eventually start passing it about we have been untouchable this season...
As we were last night just prior to our goal.

Too often Green would roll the ball out to our back four who looked up ... to find the nearest player 50 yards ahead. It's not working at home and needs to be addressed.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

ihateroeder wrote:
I dont think the Faubert aspect of this change turned the game on its head.
Im certainly not defending Faubert, he had an absolute mare :lol: It was a good move from Allardyce i thought, but Vaz Te certainly changed the game, was nice to see a player stay out on the wing and look to take his man on every time he got it.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

We wont be- we'll be this season Wolves. Your earlier post was spot-on- we're just not very good.

If we cant score goals and close out game in this league........ :?
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Georgee Paris wrote:The Melon scale hit as massive 7.5 out of 10 last night as the wally's of West Ham United were in full voice. Carlton Cole and Faubert were described as 'fookin shight' and 'farkin rubbish' and fat Sam didn't know 'what the fark are you doin?' When doing substitutes. Seriously think when we have a full house it is because absolute R Soles have come out of hibernation and stopped watching barcelona to come to the Boleyn to see how we compare. Carlton vs Messi. I reckon I could have wiped out half the stadium if I had a ray gun.
Sorry, but are you saying that Cole and Faubert deserved to be applauded for their contribution last night?
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

I know we win our game in hand we aere first but this is the worst team I have seen in 10 years...our players bar a few are not even average. They cant pass or shoot to a decent level. Its so boring as well.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Marky wrote:I know we win our game in hand we aere first but this is the worst team I have seen in 10 years...our players bar a few are not even average. They cant pass or shoot to a decent level. Its so boring as well.
Means to an end, my white friend, a means to an end...

Be patient.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Until he plays, Ravell = Might be the new Gazza, might be the new Neil Mellor

Either way, although I agree with the comments on trusting the managers judgement, it is frustrating when you see all these youngsters going out on loan who look like they might be real football players, & then you go over there & watch Green punt the ball up to whatever we have up front, while the midfielder struggle to keep possession for more than 5 minutes.

Clearly all that matters to the owners & Allardyce is promotion. Which is understandable, but beyond just booing for the sake of it, I am amongst those who wished we'd played a bit more actual football this season...

& amongst those that is realistic that this is a two year plan we're watching, ie: get into the premiership, finish 11th, see what happens after that.

The problem is, it's genuinely quite painful to watch at times, will be next season too if we go up, & has been for the majority of the season.

Probably wouldn't care as much if I wasn't paying to watch it, & want what's best for the club beyond selfish childish moaning, but I can see why there'd be doubts about apparent skilful players getting left out based on more than just "have you see them in training?".. I've seen Nolan on the pitch, & although he's not been particularly bad since his return, he was 100% guaranteed an instant re-selection, & we have returned to the same standard & style of football (which I am NOT blaming on him, but I am linking with Sam Allardyce's judgement & selection process)
beckton

Post by beckton »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Oh right... was it Allardyce that laced up a pair of boots and morphed into Sam Baldock and missed 2 sitters on Sunday?
Or perhaps Allardyce that ghosted his way into the soul of the other players that have missed a good 5-6 gilt edge chances in the last couple of home games?

Did you mean Maynard?

How many chances did our strikers miss last night? The football at homes games generally has been **** to watch this season. And after another poor home performance the strikers are being blamed again! An easy scapegoat if hoofs up field are deemed goal scoring opportunities.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I reckon we'll finish around 12-15 next season with the thrill of the Premier League being enough to over rule any judgement on playing style. The second season however I can see the fans turning on Sam

Win, lose or draw I've very rarely enjoyed watching us play this season the games that i've been to. I'm kinda hoping Sam gets us where we want to be, keeps us there then passes us over to someone who could possibly bring the entertainment factor back to The Boleyn

If that was to happen it would be mission accomplished Mr Allardyce. He will be a dead man walking if he tries to become a long term manager of our football club
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Marky wrote:I know we win our game in hand we aere first but this is the worst team I have seen in 10 years...our players bar a few are not even average. They cant pass or shoot to a decent level. Its so boring as well.

But we've shown that we actually can, playing with 10 men.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Carlton Cole is looking more and more like the Mr Hyde we should have sold 2 years ago for about £7m.

Sorry RARS but were you at the game yesterday?

What can someone do if they get the ball punted to them whilst getting doubled up on?

The football in the second half was beyond stupid, punt constantly.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Yea Why Not wrote:I reckon we'll finish around 12-15 next season with the thrill of the Premier League being enough to over rule any judgement on playing style. The second season however I can see the fans turning on Sam

Win, lose or draw I've very rarely enjoyed watching us play this season the games that i've been to. I'm kinda hoping Sam gets us where we want to be, keeps us there then passes us over to someone who could possibly bring the entertainment factor back to The Boleyn

If that was to happen it was be mission accomplished Mr Allardyce. He will be a dead man walking if he tries to become a long term manager of our football club
2012/13 - Stay up with Allardyce
2013/14 - Let him walk away after his contract finishes, no compensation to worry about, appoint Paolo Di Canio :crest: