West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

wizzo_66 wrote: 2012/13 - Stay up with Allardyce
2013/14 - Let him walk away after his contract finishes, no compensation to worry about, appoint Paolo Di Canio :crest:
Yea Why Not wrote:Hell Yeah!
After Allardyce has got us to 7th playing some pretty attractive stuff and Di Canio has relegated Sheffield Wednesday, you two will look like a right pair of nuggets...
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: After Allardyce has got us to 7th playing some pretty attractive stuff and Di Canio has relegated Sheffield Wednesday, you two will look like a right pair of nuggets...
After you wake up from the fantasy dream that you're obiovusly having you're going to feel like a pwoper plonka
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:Reading this thread just brings home how differently we all see the games. My take:

Overall
A good summary I agree with in general
bubbles1966 wrote: Was I the only one who saw their goal coming?

Not in the inevitable, West ham cock-up sort of way - but in noticing that the same situation had arisen four of five times in the first half - a Watford player having plenty of time to let fly from 20-25 yards on the edge of our box. They kept fluffing it - but eventually if you give them enough opportunities. A direct consequence of 4-4-2 IMO - and a central pairing of Noble and Nolan who really didn't do a good job of protecting the backline.
Exactly what I was moaning about, Watford were given the second balls at the edge of the box as well as being allowed space and time to run into those areas.
bubbles1966 wrote: Thought McCartney had a good game

Taylor was rightly subbed (contrary to the boos) - aside from two of three Hollywood moments he was ineffective.
Agree with both of these Linda was good going forward and covering the other defenders
bubbles1966 wrote: Nolan had a pretty decent first half - some good link play and won a number of 50-50s - but the moment he miscontrolled people around me were on his back. He disappeared second half and when offered the opportunity to create, chose the safe ball.

Maynard was largely ponderous and ineffective.

Baldock flattered to decieve. Whilst he is nippy, he is shrugged off the ball constantly - the kind of performance Sears gets/got slated for.
TBH Nolan did ok in the first half, decent without being spectacular but even then there was his usual lack of chasing back. I guess I tend to remember the second half performance more, which was very poor.

Yea Why Not wrote:After you wake up from the fantasy dream that you're obiovusly having you're going to feel like a pwoper plonka
Difference is mate, I don't necessarily state that this will happen, as I'm not the one making stupid presumptions on ***** that hasn't even happened yet.
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

e17 wrote:What if he's actually Pele though? Or Messi taking a breather from playing to post on KUMB?
Then I apologize for questioning his superior skill and judgement but look at him and think 'you aren't a very nice fellow at all'
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: After Allardyce has got us to 7th playing some pretty attractive stuff and Di Canio has relegated Sheffield Wednesday, you two will look like a right pair of nuggets...
chicken ones?
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

This may have been answered further up, but I failed to find it from a quick search, maybe someone who was in the West Stand can tell me.

The throw in that was taken three times, I'm sure the second time the ball never came in - but the first time I swear it landed on the pitch. So why were Watford given a second chance? If it is a foul throw it goes to opposition, so I don't know why the linesman flagged and gave it to them.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Difference is mate, I'm not the one making stupid presumptions on ***** that hasn't even happened yet.
um? :lol:
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:After Allardyce has got us to 7th playing some pretty attractive stuff and Di Canio has relegated Sheffield Wednesday, you two will look like a right pair of nuggets...
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Any highlights yet?
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Why did we start hoofing it with plenty of time left, yet when there wasn't many minutes left we started passing it around.

We'll be back to 4-5-1 on saturday no doubt.
Parso

Post by Parso »

Performances are inconsistent, that we can agree on. I'm not one for the stats so don’t know the answer to this but I'm pretty sure Big Sam hasn't named the same team in back to back games many times this year.

This is a new group of players and there will be a period of adjustment.

I was there last night like many of you and I too I'm frustrated with the long ball tactics especially after a good run our in Cardiff but we had enough to salvage a point, we are still second with a game in hand over Southampton. Portsmouth look safe until the end of the season with the league releasing some money for them and Reading have an extremely tough finish to the season beginning with us away. We will go up! COYI! :crest:

However, Faubert ……. groan!
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

dp
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

Georgee Paris wrote:Then I apologize for questioning his superior skill and judgement but look at him and think 'you aren't a very nice fellow at all'
What if it is Pele and he has just had a bad day. Messi scoring 5 goals may have put him in a bad mood. Ordinarily he might be a top chap?

Jesus YWN, you're really struggling.

You and Wizzo have both said you'd love for Allardyce to go after that season and Di Canio to come in, no?
Right...
Therefore, you have both already made a decision, without any thought to what happens between now and then.

Right...
I laid before you the scenario of us doing well and Di Canio doing **** and how if that happens, it will make your desires - placed two years earlier on the basis of f*** all - look really, really, really stupid.

Right...
With that, you said that I'm in a dream for saying this will happen.
I explained that I don't think this will happen and am only stating a scenario of how you and wizzo would look like a pair of nuggets if it did.

Right...
Do you get it now?

If not, I reckon logging off may be best for both yourself and the rest of us on Kumb.

Thanks. :lol:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

We're still a point off top with a game in hand.

Bugger me we should have won this on paper but still managed a draw. As long as we go up it's not the end of the world.

Amazing how before the match so many people could predict a spanking and when said spanking doesn't materialise it's all doom and gloom.
ironilunga
Has liked: 378 likes
Total likes: 1192 likes

Post by ironilunga »

sendô wrote:Amazing how before the match so many people could predict a spanking and when said spanking doesn't materialise it's all doom and gloom.
Yes, I've felt like that.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

It just sounded like one of those nights, so I'll take the point we got. And if you'd offered me this position at this stage of the season I would have ripped your arm off for it.

If we'd have taken our chances when they came we'd have beaten them well; we just need to get more clinical. Not the end of the world.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Isn't it fun to speculate a bit though? Otherwise, all we have to talk about is what is happening, right here, right now. Also - Di Canio's success at other clubs isn't the most important factor for me wanting him to become manager of our football club. It's because I feel he is the right man for our club long term. Just like I feel BFS is the right man to get us out of this division, keep us up, but that's it.

Quite happy being a chicken nugget though.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Never change a winning team, too much tinkering going on, clearly BFS does not know the best striker combination.

Oh yes, just to be consistent, DROP Faubert!
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

RARS,

I just like the thought of having Di Canio as manager. I do however understand that the chances of failure outweigh the chances of success. But hey, f*** it I'd be happy to take that gamble if it meant there is a chance of the good times returning to The Boleyn. Times that I don't believe will ever return under Sam regardless of our league position

It's not all about results for me. I'm just there to have a beer and a good time. Seems like every time I go to a match these days i've got fully grown men making cow noises in my ear. And that to me, is really ****ing annoying
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.