West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

WorcesterWHU wrote:It just sounded like one of those nights, so I'll take the point we got. And if you'd offered me this position at this stage of the season I would have ripped your arm off for it.

If we'd have taken our chances when they came we'd have beaten them well; we just need to get more clinical. Not the end of the world.
You'll get nowhere on here making rational and intelligent observations like those .
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

ironilunga wrote:
What if it is Pele and he has just had a bad day. Messi scoring 5 goals may have put him in a bad mood. Ordinarily he might be a top chap?
I was supposed to meet Pele last year at Paul Scholes testimonial but he wouldn't come out of his hotel room. If he had I would have probably agreed with him although appreciating that he had probably just had another bad day but as I am already aware he seems to have them fairly frequently so I'd be inclined to call him 'useless' shake a fist and shout at Fat Sam and call him a 'bleedin cant'
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:This may have been answered further up, but I failed to find it from a quick search, maybe someone who was in the West Stand can tell me.

The throw in that was taken three times, I'm sure the second time the ball never came in - but the first time I swear it landed on the pitch. So why were Watford given a second chance? If it is a foul throw it goes to opposition, so I don't know why the linesman flagged and gave it to them.
I didn't know what that was about either. Did like the 'whooooah' chant while he was running in for the third though :lol:
Alan P45

Post by Alan P45 »

I was in the West stand and from my perspective the second throw didn't enter the pitch at all. Still don't understand what that midget ref was on about but the lino was useless, consistently waited for the ref to decide before just agreeing with him.

"We want Baldock on the pitch" - comedy moment of the night for me.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Did it also get mentioned that Snow White was at West Ham last night? I didn't see her but I noticed someone had given Dopey a flag and told him to run the line whilst Grumpy was given the honor of being referee.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

WorcesterWHU wrote:It just sounded like one of those nights, so I'll take the point we got. And if you'd offered me this position at this stage of the season I would have ripped your arm off for it.

If we'd have taken our chances when they came we'd have beaten them well; we just need to get more clinical. Not the end of the world.
Absolutely. I mean, surely it's better that we're defending relatively well and creating chances than if we were just struggling to draw at home with Watford. I mean, this is the point that Allardyce is talking about with the Rickie Lambert comment. We're just missing something clinical at the end. It reminds me a lot of Everton in the Marcus Bent years. They had a striker who worked hard, chucked himself all of the pitch, but wasn't quite clinical enough. We're the same. Strong at the back, organised, we can knock the ball about when required, we're just missing a man to put the chances away consistently,. As for Moth's point about why Allardyce can't get our strikers to do that, well it could be confidence, it could be the fans, it could be the fact that (as James P pointed out with regard to Cole) the strikers we have are just a bit average. I mean you can talk all you like about how much money they're earning, but how much have any of our strikers cost us? I mean, Maynard and Baldock were the most expensive I believe at around the £2m park. How much did Huddersfield want for Rhodes? How much did Rangers want for Jelavic? The strikers are doing ok...but give us Zamora or Ba or Lambert and I think we'd be ripping this division a new one. It's not Allardyce's fault that we can't go out and buy a player of that level.
Gator_Hammer
Location: It is not guilty that man who eat the pie but one that gives it.

Post by Gator_Hammer »

Georgee Paris wrote:Did it also get mentioned that Snow White was at West Ham last night? I didn't see her but I noticed someone had given Dopey a flag and told him to run the line whilst Grumpy was given the honor of being referee.
Don't forget that Doc was called into action in the second half.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

Turns to Stone wrote: It's not Allardyce's fault that we can't go out and buy a player of that level.
What??

Tell me, other than the good chance Cole failed to connect with, and the half chance Baldock worked the keeper with, how many chances did we create for either Maynard, Cole, or Baldock last night?

Our strikers aren't scoring many because we create very little for them, not because they're not good enough. Lineker in his prime wouldn't have got into double figures for West Ham this season. We need a Messi to create something from nothing, or we need to improve the service to the forwards.

Finally, we're neither defending well or strong at the back. We're just fortunate most teams that we come across in this division do not have the quality to punish our poor defending very often.
southendmadhammer

Post by southendmadhammer »

Thought Mccartney was our best player last night.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

I put it down to 1 thing.

My misses was at Derby,Reading,Sheff Wed and there last night. We were going to giveher a good thrashing. But i booked us into the Central for the night instead. 8-)

She wont be there sat. Is allowed to away games only to drive us home. So enough said, thats the tacitics sorted.

We can all look forward the the rest of the season positively

Simples
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

southendmadhammer wrote:Thought Mccartney was our best player last night.
The tackle he made at the end was outstanding. His pass competition rate how ever was probably far from it
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

10 Iron wrote:I put it down to 1 thing.

My misses was at Derby,Reading,Sheff Wed and there last night. We were going to giveher a good thrashing. But i booked us into the Central for the night instead.

She wont be there sat. Is allowed to away games only to drive us home. So enough said, thats the tacitics sorted.

We can all look forward the the rest of the season positively

Simples
You treat her too well, a night at West Ham and a stay in the Central :wink:
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

southendmadhammer wrote:Thought Mccartney was our best player last night.

Goes to show how bad we were then.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Turns to Stone wrote:Absolutely. I mean, surely it's better that we're defending relatively well and creating chances than if we were just struggling to draw at home with Watford. I mean, this is the point that Allardyce is talking about with the Rickie Lambert comment. We're just missing something clinical at the end.
I read Sam's comment about Lambert as more statistical than anything else; if we had one of our strikers on 20-odd for the season then yeah, you'd expect that we'd be miles ahead. On the flip side of that coin you could also say it's quite impressive that we've had goals from a variety of sources this season.

And I agree; we're currently efficient without setting the world on fire. And in some ways our current form is flipped on it's head, we're picking up draws at home and wins on the road - if the opposite were true would people be happier?

I think sometimes our league position lets us get ahead of ourselves a bit, which undermines just how much and how quickly we've had to rebuild a squad and club. I'm not saying that to be 2nd with a game in hand to go top is a miracle but I think we're doing alright.

A little patience wouldn't go amiss but such is the way of the world with football these days...
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

I am far to soft Pop. Know how to treat a woman though 8-) CU sat .we will piss it. She aint coming. Wink

Not to sure i wanna let her come on the Disco boat end of seasont, if she does I'll be on the other one. The one she is on will hit something.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Fat Sam has a point but how many strikers does the guy need to buy?

He has brought four if you count Vaz Te and still complains about his strikers missing chances.

Perhaps his recruitment is the problem?
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

My two-penneth worth after another disppointing home performance, but one if we look at the stats was not entirely unpredicatable,
Our problem has been the same all season, indeed the same as the past 3-4 seasons and for a large part why we have has such a tortuous time results and entertainment wise. We have NO PACE, WIDTH or CREATIVITY virtually throught the side. In this league you can still succeed without it in the Prem you cant.
Out home games are about breaking down visiting teams who come primarily not to be beaten. Away its micu less of a problem, there are greater opportunities to counter and you dont face massed ranks of defence or 2 banks of 5. Our midfield is pedestrian to a man; easy for teams to funnel bak, to organise and pick off runners. Where we have width we have either no pace or shocking basic quality of delivery.
I do not especially blame the strikers, the systems and midfield and FBs are as much to blame. Indeed I believe any of our strikers including Carew woudl be a 20 a-season man in this league we were set up better and had better quality service.We would also benefit by giving the strikers a more consistent run (5-6 games) in teh side instead of chopping and changing all then time. The 'score or your out' attitude does nothing for confidence.
Finally, I think its a bit rich BFS bleating about not having a lambert/20 goal man when if you look at how he sets hios sides up historically he has never really had such a type anyway (poachers = loafers in the gospel according to BFS). His teams have had the typical lump target man who provides the knock downs for a pacier supportive midfield, and of course set play expertise.
We can obviously still get up as top 2 but every dropped home point does start to put more pressure on your away performances and this will tell if we get to the 'must win' stage for aways.
Just opinion obviously.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

beckton wrote:But we've shown that we actually can, playing with 10 men.
We showed we can play last night too Becks, when we got the ball on the ground and started knocking it about.
bubbles1966 wrote: O'Brien struggled a bit.
Wouldn't disagree with much of your summary and apologies for cherry-picking this bit Bubbles, but I suggest if you watched a re-run of the game and focused on O'Brien you'd have a completely different opinion. He was our best player in the first half in my book.
sendô wrote:Amazing how before the match so many people could predict a spanking and when said spanking doesn't materialise it's all doom and gloom.
Unrealistic expectations. We've not scored more than twice at home since last November.
BrownFatwa wrote:We have NO PACE, WIDTH or CREATIVITY virtually throught the side.
I think it's more simple than that, BF. When we're playing at home and our defenders pick up the ball from Green, they're instructed to look to to the front pair when we're set out in a 4-4-2 formation. It doesn't matter how much of the qualities you mention we possess if they're going to be circumnavigated in such a manner.

I find it difficult to understand why we play like that against teams we're purportedly the superior of. Watford; Portsmouth; Bristol City; Ipswich ... I could go on.
lukeWHU wrote:This is just insulting. I think the mods should take a look at this.
Just did. Seems a perfectly reasonable response to your previous post.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

And for those who've not seen it, here's Dan Prescott's match report:

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=101187" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Sam Allardyce's post-match presser, in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dyche's to follow soon, although much of it was the same cliched stuff we hear about 'coming to a place like this'.
Coker

Post by Coker »

We need a goal within the first 20-30 if not we seem to turn to **** , not sure on the stats but we had so many chances last night could of been 3 or 4 ,

Back 4 i thought played well as they always do
Nolan **** throughout
Faubert should of subbed himself , woeful last night and his giving the ball away set up there goal

roll on next game