West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Coker

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by Coker »

the HOOF last night was bad , the ball must of been in the air longer than on the floor, we dont we just get Carew on and Cole , buy Crouch and Zigic and play a 4-2-4 Headbanger
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Coker wrote:the HOOF last night was bad , the ball must of been in the air longer than on the floor, we dont we just get Carew on and Cole , buy Crouch and Zigic and play a 4-2-4 Headbanger
What's the matter with 2-3-5 like the good old days ? A Right back, a left back, a right half, a centre half, a left half, an outside right, an inside right, a centre forward, an inside left and outside left. No wonder scores like 6-6, and even an 8-7 weren't exactly uncommon ~ Guaranteed fun for all the family
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think that was officially the most dire match under the Allardyce regime. Long aimless punts and no width. What frustrates me is Faubert should be on the wing and he's playing so close to Cole in the centre. Whenever O'Brien had possession he had to knock it long every time as Faubert was nowhere near him to provide a decent option. The long ball quite frankly didn't work all night and Sam changed it near the end and got himself out of jail.

The standard from both teams yesterday was quite frightening to watch. No one could put a pass together, and everyone's second touch appeared to be a tackle, was like watching some kids at times.

On a side note, McCartney was my man of the match yesterday. Getting some form together.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Faubert performance was absolutely pathetic. How he managed to stay on the pitch for the whole 100 mins when it was quite clear he was having an absolute stinker is anyones guess. What position was he playing for **** sake? It looked to me as though he was playing centre forward rather than right midfield. We had absolutely no width at all. He was so far in-field

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

have to agree with this, i think its fair to say BFS doesnt know what his best striking combo is ,, lets hope for better on saturday , although donny will park the bus and frustrate simularly to watford and everybody else this season. Vaz te definately looked lively when he came on , but if taylors screamer is 3 inches lower , in the 1st min , i believe we wouldve gone on to win well ...

the margins are all very close
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Didn't two of our best chances fall to Faux-bert as well? And I'm pretty sure he gave the ball away after our first decent bit of fast midfield passing which ended up leading to their goal. Definitely needs to b dropped for Vaz Te at the weekend cos he's shot of confidence and our weakest link going forward
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Irrons wrote:Didn't two of our best chances fall to Faux-bert as well? And I'm pretty sure he gave the ball away after our first decent bit of fast midfield passing which ended up leading to their goal. Definitely needs to b dropped for Vaz Te at the weekend cos he's shot of confidence and our weakest link going forward

he had a bad night, still dont know how he missed from 6 yards out in the 1st half though
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

Great posts from Pinky and Bubbles a few pages back.

For the life of me, I can't work out why we went back to 4-4-2 last night.....especially with the Noblan sisters in midfield. Never gonna work... :eh:
Last edited by Morocco Mole on Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Had to listen to the game on the radio (wireless for Paddy Hammer), so could not gauge how we played (hoofball or passing), but I have noticed how more fluid we look when we do pass the ball in other matches. With the hoofball scenario (i hate that expression), it can work against a team that plays higher up the field and we have pace to attack them with, but it should be used occasionally, just to nick a goal.

There does seem to be a problem with the confidence of a few when it comes to putting the ball in the net and this is exasperated at home because we, as fans will get more and more on the players backs, the booing seems far to commonplace now, we are very quick at getting our feelings heard.

As fans of West Ham, how does it help our team if we continually put players or the team down, we need to sing their names and build them up. I realise that you spend good money with costs that escalate year after year (tickets, grub, transport etc) in an economy where money is getting tighter and tighter and we feel aggrieved that we spend 100 quid on watching our team draw or lose a match they really should have won, welcome to modern day football.

What attracted me to WHU all those years ago was the comradery between the fans and how we would lift the team or players when they needed it, we still seem to have that support away, but it seems it has disappeared when we are at home.

We need to make visiting teams fear the Boleyn, not our team, we need to lift our players when they don’t perform and we need to regenerate that atmosphere from by-gone days.

Let the Manager give the boys stick for screwing up, a player will always feel better is he gets some support and positive encouragement so cheer them on, you have paid your money, so at least try to enjoy it, if your not enjoying it, simples….don’t go!
Last edited by Absentee Hammer on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Felt sorry for faubert last night as you could tell he was struggling for confidence but in the first six passages of his involvement of the game he gave possession away three times, squared a 5 yard tap in and put the ball out for a throw in to Watford. That set the tone and he had a 'mare

I think Sam needs to avoid playing him at home until he builds some confidence back up as he got ripped to pieces last night and he (faubert) definitely noticed

My view is that if we want to play Nolan and noble in a 4-4-2 then we need one of our wide options to be a wide midfielder rather than a winger to assist retaining possession, moving the ball up the pitch more slowly, and harassing the opposition
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

I reckon we are a better side without him.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Sean Dyche's post-match presser... anyone agree with his assertion that our goal shouldn't have stood?

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126076" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
winchy33
Location: 2nd turn on the right. If you reach the river you've gone too far

Post by winchy33 »

Absentee Hammer wrote:Had...
Great post :thup: people forget we're still second with a game in hand, the players deserve some credit
Last edited by Up the Junction on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

The amount of rants I heard whilst in the game and coming out of the game walking up to Plaistow station about Faubert was unbelievable ! :lol:
issi

Post by issi »

I must be in my own little world here then, from the start drunk dickheads screaming abuse of our own players, we created enough chances to win 3 games, 15 shots 9 on target, we controlled the game and should have been way in front at half time. Then the crowd pressure the team,they panic and play some hoof ball because we are chasing the game from behind,which Watford defended well. It was obvious that it was one of those nights, it is the chances not converted into goals that meant we didn't win last night, not the style, formation, personnel or anything else.
I feel I was watching a different match to most other posters on here
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Morocco Mole wrote:Great posts from Pinky and Bubbles a few pages back.

For the life of me, I can't work out why we went back to 4-4-2 last night.....especially with the Noblan sisters in midfield. Never gonna work... :eh:
Im not sure it was 442. I think that Faubert was told to play up front.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

issi wrote:I must be in my own little world here then, from the start drunk dickheads screaming abuse of our own players, we created enough chances to win 3 games, 15 shots 9 on target, we controlled the game and should have been way in front at half time. Then the crowd pressure the team,they panic and play some hoof ball because we are chasing the game from behind,which Watford defended well. It was obvious that it was one of those nights, it is the chances not converted into goals that meant we didn't win last night, not the style, formation, personnel or anything else.
I feel I was watching a different match to most other posters on here
Those stats mean ****. Watford had 13 shots with 7 on target. Enough chances to win 3 games? Or only 2? :think:

How many saves did we force Kuszczak to make? It was hardly a Greenesque performance at the Emirates for example.

How many chances did Cole/Maynard/Baldock miss? One and a half by my reckoning. Our tactics are wrong and we create very little for our strikers.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Up the Junction wrote:Sean Dyche's post-match presser... anyone agree with his assertion that our goal shouldn't have stood?
The players all looked at the ref for a second before celebrating. It was right in front of me and everyone thought it had been ruled out for some reason or another.

In truth Cole's foot was probably only hip hight, but it nearly took the ref's nut off.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Doc H Ball wrote:The players all looked at the ref for a second before celebrating. It was right in front of me and everyone thought it had been ruled out for some reason or another.
Cheers Doc. Missed that from the other end of the ground.
lukeWHU wrote:Im not sure it was 442. I think that Faubert was told to play up front.
Sam Allardyce wrote:But to be fair to the lads at least we came back with a vengeance, changed the system again to a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-4-2 and got back into a winning position from where we should never have been but were.
From http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=126075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AJ
Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Post by AJ »

Did Taylor have a bad game? For Sam to take off the player with the most assists, im thinking he is either lacking match fitness or had a slight knock?
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Up the Junction wrote: But to be fair to the lads at least we came back with a vengeance, changed the system again to a 4-3-3 instead of a 4-4-2 and got back into a winning position from where we should never have been but were.
Hadnt read that. I personally didnt think that Faubert was wide enough in the first half. Half of the time he was standing 2 yards away from CC.