West Ham Utd 1 Watford 1 (07/03/2012)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

issi

Re: West Ham Utd v Watford: match thread

Post by issi »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: Those stats mean ****. Watford had 13 shots with 7 on target. Enough chances to win 3 games? Or only 2? :think:

How many saves did we force Kuszczak to make? It was hardly a Greenesque performance at the Emirates for example.

How many chances did Cole/Maynard/Baldock miss? One and a half by my reckoning. Our tactics are wrong and we create very little for our strikers.
No,it wasn't, and yes stats can be used for and against, the same set of stats. You know, we could have been way ahead at half time but for the conversion rate,what ever way that is dressed up and present it. Because we wasn't the crowd started to get on the teams backs and place pressure on them.Some had been on their backs since the kick off. I was not upset by last night, I have seen worse. You were upset by last night, as were many others, so we differ in opinion. I was more upset by the crowd and the growing number of supporters willing to abuse players,or was it the amount of alcohol taken,given that it was an evening game. I was just happy that we tried to play football first.This is a tough division,they wont just lay down because we are WHUFC. We both know that Cole and Maynard can and should do better, playing an organised and well drilled defense comes into the equation as well.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

AJ wrote:Did Taylor have a bad game? For Sam to take off the player with the most assists, im thinking he is either lacking match fitness or had a slight knock?
It wasnt one of his better games, although his delivery is always pretty decent. He hit a shot in the first minute from about 30 yards that hit the bar. If that had went in, it would have been a totally different game i guess.
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

issi wrote:We both know that Cole and Maynard can and should do better, playing an organised and well drilled defense comes into the equation as well.
How?

Didn't answer the question I see...
Sloffy

Post by Sloffy »

yet again felt totally underwhelmed. its an entertainment industry, which costs a lot of money, but its crap

anyone else think Maynard is a duffer or is it just me?

Faye & George played well last night, and if any of the others got a 6 out of 10, they're lucky. Faubert & Maynard were awful
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

[quote/] We both know that Cole and Maynard can and should do better, playing an organised and well drilled defense comes into the equation as well. [/quote]

[quote/] How? [/quote]

Presumably because they have both scored goals at this level?
GeorgeParris'Pet

Post by GeorgeParris'Pet »

lukeWHU wrote:Presumably because they have both scored goals at this level?
I don't disagree.

They've scored goals when they've received some service...
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote: I don't disagree.

They've scored goals when they've received some service...
True. I feel for both of them. They are feeding on scraps. I think the problem is that we dont really have a "playmaker" as such in the team, i.e. a somewhere who can feed the ball to them in goalscoring positions.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

AJ wrote:Did Taylor have a bad game? For Sam to take off the player with the most assists, im thinking he is either lacking match fitness or had a slight knock?
Brilliant in the first 20 minutes, anonymous thereafter was my take. My assumption - and that's all it is AJ - was that he'd run out of steam.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Isn't Nolan always a passenger in the second half? Isn't that why he drops back....for a rest?

Don't the normal reasons for substitution apply in his case.?

Are there any examples of him doing anything significant towards the end of games.?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

irving boleyn wrote:Isn't Nolan always a passenger in the second half? Isn't that why he drops back....for a rest?

Don't the normal reasons for substitution apply in his case.?

Are there any examples of him doing anything significant towards the end of games.?
Come on Irv. There's a perfectly good 120 page thread already available to slag off our captain. You'll be welcomed with open arms in there with conspiracy theories about substitutions, and a whole array of examples of him doing absolutely nothing for us after the 57th minute.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but Baldock was brilliant warming up by the STBL, responded to "got a really massive cock Baldock" and "We want Baldock on the pitch" by going on the pitch temporarily and of course giving us a wave. Top stuff Super Sam. :crest:

Back to the game it was disappointing to say the least but I'm happy we got a point as it seemed like we were going to lose, I think we need to stop hoofing especially when the opposition are getting 2 or 3 players around Cole.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Sorry TTS,

Seemed appropriate.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

irving boleyn wrote:Sorry TTS,

Seemed appropriate.
:D
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

thejackhammer wrote:Games I've been to this season: Cardiff, Aldershot, Ipswich, Bristol City, Palace, Burnley, and Leeds... Can anyone see a pattern emerging.

I'm going tonight, it was my birthday yesterday, do me a favour West Ham :lol:
I apologise to everyone else in attendance last night.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Sloffy wrote:yet again felt totally underwhelmed. its an entertainment industry, which costs a lot of money, but its crap

anyone else think Maynard is a duffer or is it just me?[/b

]Faye & George played well last night, and if any of the others got a 6 out of 10, they're lucky. Faubert & Maynard were awful

No, me too. I always did think he would be a bit of a gamble and if truth be known and it is quite lilkely G &S did too, hence the bargain basement price. He hasn't pulled up any trees in this league, so there was not much to gauge him on. However, he may ye, bang in the goals and prove those who doubt him wrong, but really what you want is Premiership quality playing in this league, if you want to get out of it without any hiccups and I'm not sure he is that
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Shots on target are not a clear gauge to chances created.
I agree with Allardyce, if we had a Lambert up front we would be out of sight by now.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Up the Junction wrote:anyone agree with his assertion that our goal shouldn't have stood?
I do agree with his comments. I have to say i was expecting the ref to blow up as Carlton Cole jumped fairly high and it was the defenders ball in my opinion. I would have been livid if it was Watford scoring a goal like that against us.
issi

Post by issi »

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:
We both know that Cole and Maynard can and should do better, playing an organised and well drilled defense comes into the equation as well.

How?

Didn't answer the question I see...
Cole has proven he can score goals in the Prem and Maynard was sought after because he is a proven goal scorer in this division. Do you disagree that both can perform better than they are at present then.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

This was the Groupon game wasn't it? :lol:

Not much return business made last night I'd imagine
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Greeno seemed to be a bit moody after the game, didn't even shake anyone's hand, didn't even agknowledge the crowd just went straight down the tunnel. :?