West Ham Utd 1 Doncaster Rovers 1 (10/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: West Ham United Vs Doncaster Rovers: Match Thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

Faye was way too casual for their goal
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Green was MOTM, his save from Diouf was world class.

Nolan again played poorly, struggles to get close to Cole who was once again isolated. Ball was on it's way in but Nobby made sure.

Groundhog day all over again at home. Tactics are poor and the lack of encouragement to get the ball down is inexcusable. Donny have been the better football side on both occassns this season which is a sad indictment on BFS and WHUFC.

Feel for West hams number 7, his attitude and work rate is superb but given little opportunity to be deployed in his preferred role.

People knock Collison but his work rate is impressive and important for the team. Those lost 2 years will take a while to get back, be patient. The ironic jeers Cole got from small sections of the BML was quite frankly embarrassing. He didn't have his best game but neither did.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

kthammer wrote:
Exactly. We were static, predictable, lazy. Awful.
Whose idea is that modern football is about lumping long balls to a centre forward who can hardly move - who doesn't win headers and can't control the ball?

And even if he does , hasn't got a team mate within 20 yards of him
beckton

Post by beckton »

I haven't read all the match thread but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere the blatant penalty we should have had for hand ball.

I watched the brief highlights on the tele but they didn't show it.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

We got off to very good start, got the goal early and there I was thinking the team had responded after the Watford game - now go and get some more...

No...we went into reverse - shocking to see how deep we dropped, how lazy and complacent we became, instead of showing the hunger for more goals. We looked all over the place at times and bereft of any ideas other than lumping it aimlessly forward.

Our home form is killing us and it's been mentioned elsewhere, but you could see the players shrinking in stature the more restless the crowd became with the frustration of our style of play. We really have a problem...I'm watching a team that has gone from heroic to dismal displays in a matter of weeks with no other explanation than the unsettled way players are shuffled around to accommodate egos.

Very concerned at this stage, but manager and squad need us to get behind them no matter what's happening. :crest:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I can't understand why it is that having got the confidence of an early goal, why it is we then don't press high up the pitch. That will put the other team under further pressure and they will be likely to conceed again. For some inexplicable reason we don't. Can it be because the players don't know how, or we haven't the players to be able to do this ?
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Puff Daddy wrote:I can't understand why it is that having got the confidence of an early goal, why it is we then don't press high up the pitch. That will put the other team under further pressure and they will be likely to conceed again. For some inexplicable reason we don't. Can it be because the players don't know how, or we haven't the players to be able to do this ?

I think it's a collective brain fart they've picked up at the training ground...it's too well co-ordinated.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

It just occured to me that in order to get back to the '2 points per game' average we need to win the next 4 games in a row. AND contunue to maintain the 2 points per average thereafter till the end of the season.

We have f*cked it at the last hurdle. There is no way on Earth we will manage that now. Even if we were brimming with confidence that would still be a big ask.

Play-offs it is then.....
cockneySparrow
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by cockneySparrow »

The Gibbins wrote:That was truly awful...
Couldn't have put it better myself. The crowd were awesome in first 15 minutes too, which matched the exciting play. They were well behind the team but then got steadily quieter as the team sat back. Cant blame them either. We should have got the second and THEN used the remaining time as a training session in order to try a few new tactics/combos. In the end we were chasing shadows and made to look second class.

Maybe 3 games in a week didnt help. Tired? Noticed a few little digs at each other on the park too or signs of frustration.

Greeno was awesome. The team owe him for yesterdays world class saves. Shame about the Vaz as he was making nice jinks and galvenizing the players around him before the hamstring. No plan B? Baldock as a straight swap for Taz on the left did not work for me. He looks like the type of player who could have feasted off Cole's knock-ons, if he was close enough but in the end was a frustrated fringe outside midfielder in the end?

Long ball to Cole is so frustrating! I guess we only get to keep the ball 10% of the time from the resulting knock-down/up/flick.

Doncaster were allowed to play well and slowly came back into into it as the first half bore on. There was a session in the second when they completely outplayed us for 10 minutes and we were all at sea it seems. The goal was always gonna come when we were on the back foot. We invitedd them in and nearly got spanked.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

If we had beaten Watford and Doncaster then those extra 4 points would mean we would be exactly 2 points per game and bang on target. It would also mean we could approach this Leeds game knowing that a draw would be ok as long as we were to win the next home game (Boro) then we would still be on track. Now (and in true West Ham style I must add) we need to go and win at Leeds. Then we must follow it up by beating Boro at home and Burnley and Posh away. Just to get back on track.

I am aware that it could be possible to get promoted with less than 92 points (depending how sh*t other teams are) but as history has proven 2 points per game is usually enough to get automatic promotion. So thats what we should be aiming for. But then I suppose it wouldn't be West Ham if we did it the easy way!....
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Stepney wrote:If we had beaten Watford and Doncaster then those extra 4 points would mean we would be exactly 2 points per game and bang on target. It would also mean we could approach this Leeds game knowing that a draw would be ok as long as we were to win the next home game (Boro) then we would still be on track.
Not sure what the 2pts/game obsession is? We should take each game and oppo results as they come and see where we go from there.
mattjp
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by mattjp »

Denbighammer wrote:Not sure what the 2pts/game obsession is? We should take each game and oppo results as they come and see where we go from there.
Indeed, I think the Reading home game is going to be crucial. The way both teams are playing, I think we simply must beat them.
Ashtonthelegend

Post by Ashtonthelegend »

Minus the first 20, thought it was a horrible performance, abit better than Wednesday i think tho....

Can i ask why the first goal was disallowed? and also who played Diouf onside for there goal? Both were right in front of me in the East Stand, and both looked very questionable calls (or lack of!) from where i was.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Puff Daddy wrote:I can't understand why it is that having got the confidence of an early goal, why it is we then don't press high up the pitch. That will put the other team under further pressure and they will be likely to conceed again.
^ This. Dropping back invites pressure, why do we continue to do this against teams, especially ones bottom of the league playing away from home?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Ashtonthelegend wrote:... who played Diouf onside for there goal?
He wasn't offside because the ball came off Nolan - ie a back pass. At least, that was my assumption.
Ashtonthelegend

Post by Ashtonthelegend »

Up the Junction wrote: He wasn't offside because the ball came off Nolan - ie a back pass. At least, that was my assumption.
Apologies, you are 100% correct! just watched the football league show, couldn't see from my angle as there was someone blocking! :oops:
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

sendô wrote: ^ This. Dropping back invites pressure, why do we continue to do this against teams, especially ones bottom of the league playing away from home?
We seem to sit deeper after scoring and try to play counter attacking IMO - even against Cardiff we did it. It just came off in that game whereas yesterday it didn't (although I wasn't there so am basing that on what others have said and what I've seen from the games I've been to this season). I agree that it would seem to play to our strengths to keep attacking with a high line up the pitch and try and kill the game off.
steviechaz

Post by steviechaz »

He wasn't offside because the ball came off Nolan - ie a back pass. At least, that was my assumption.[/quote]

Correct.

Disappointing display. Cole was isolated for most of the game. Even when he controlled the ball there was rarely anyone available to take a pass. Love him or hate him (and let's face it most hate him!) Diouf is a good footballer who caused problems throughout.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Any news on how long Vaz Te is out for?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Faubert's Boot wrote:Any news on how long Vaz Te is out for?
Would imagine scans/tests will take place today, he was limping quite badly (as was Faubert FWIW).
Ashtonthelegend wrote:you are 100% correct!
There's a first for everything...