saturday's news 17th march includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 17th march includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

BLAST ... West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce

SAM ALLARDYCE has hit back at the West Ham boo-boys on the eve of today's date at Leeds.

The Hammers have drawn their last four home games and slipped to third in the Championship with some of the fans jeering the players from the pitch.

Boss Allardyce said: "A small pocket is criticising us when we finish a game — because they haven't seen us win they're not satisfied. But the thing with a small pocket is they're the ones who always get heard.

"We know all around there is a lot of great, great support home and away for the team, but there is a negative element that can be a little destructive that the player will hear and he will remember it.

"All of the good things he will have done when he comes off he won't remember, but he will remember that criticism.

"I'm quite bemused about people moaning when we have a game in hand on Reading and Southampton above us, and if we win it we go level top."

the sun

Karren Brady’s football diary

A STORY that seems to have gone on longer than 'where's Lord Lucan', this one.

If someone had put the Enigma Code breakers on goal-line technology, ball-over-the-line farces would have been history 50 years ago.

It's shocking a match in 2012 can be decided, as today's Bolton-QPR effectively is, by a linesman's poor eyesight. And all Sepp Blatter has done is waffle on that change is coming.

SUN, MARCH 11

MAN U edge to the top and I can't take my eyes of Sir Alex, chomping his gum.

He's a miracle worker, he really is.

This United squad would struggle to make the top four if it weren't for his brilliance – and cunning.

Consistently stuffed in Europe this season, whacked humiliatingly by City, yet he has turned out sides that have defied injuries.

And he has shaken the faith of City's rich owners that they can buy the title.

MON, MARCH 12

QUITE by accident, I'm sent a day's e-mail history between a Premier League boss and his wife.

It begins with the picture of a £600 flower-pot she wants. He says there's one like it in the garage!

Does he really need this sort of distraction? Fans would say no. But, perhaps, busy people sometimes need a moment when a pot takes precedence over a £2m signing.

TUES, MARCH 13

I BET Kenny Dalglish couldn't have cared less about kit deals in the wake of Steven Gerrard's hat-trick tonight against Everton.

His earlier opinion will have been dropped quicker than a stripper's knickers after Liverpool's win.

But for 24 hours there were club accountants across the country who thought they had found an unlikely ally. Woe is them.

WED, MARCH 14

IAN WRIGHT forecasts today that his son Shaun's club, QPR, will go down with Wolves and Wigan.

To rub salt in the wound Father Wright thinks they'll be lucky to get another point. Perhaps he is out to provoke Rangers' dressing room into a 'we'll show him' mood?

Me? I'd like Rangers to stay up because they have shown serious ambition, cost be damned.

THURS, MARCH 15

PREMIER LEAGUE chairman Dave Richards, like most of us, isn't at all fond of European smart-asses.

At Chelsea last night a UEFA official informed the referee that a Napoli player's underwear was a different colour to his strip. How he could see that far up his shorts without a periscope? Such rules are regarded by Blatter & Co as more relevant than goal-line technology.

FRIDAY, MARCH 16

IN Cheltenham week, I can truthfully say there is no emotional steeplechase to match the final stages of the race for Championship promotion.

While I realise every other contender is going through similar turmoil, I suspect the two teams the others most wish to unseat are West Ham and Leeds.

We meet tomorrow at Elland Road where my foxy old friend Ken Bates has appointed as his manager Neil Warnock, so much a member of the awkward squad that he could be Son of Ken.

I expect Leeds, coming right into form, to make the play-offs. As for my team I dare not make any public predictions for fear of unleashing the hounds of hell. But what I will say is I believe in my manager and my players and they believe in themselves.

the star

NEIL WARNOCK: NO HARD FEELINGS

NEIL WARNOCK says he is still West Ham’s top fan – despite the infamous ­Carlos Tevez episode.

When Tevez scored his winner for West Ham at Manchester United on the last day of the season five years ago it controversially kept the ­Hammers up and dumped furious Warnock’s Sheffield United out of the top flight.

Warnock’s eight-year spell as boss of the Blades quickly came to an end – even though it later transpired Tevez’s ­registration was against ­Premier League rules.

Warnock went on to manage ­Crystal Palace and QPR before ­landing at Leeds as successor to sacked boss Simon Grayson last month.

And, on the eve of the Hammers visit to Elland Road today, he said: “I have met Tevez since then. He had a big smile on his face.

“I told him, ‘You cost me £1m, thank you’. I think he understood. But the matter was dealt with and Sheffield United came out of it very well financially.

“Unfortunately, I never got a penny – and that rankled with me.”

Whatever grievance Warnock has with the Blades, he certainly holds no grudge against the Hammers.

He added: “I love West Ham. They are a great club, fabulous, and I have got some friends who are season ­ticket holders there.

“I have been in London for the last few years and nothing has happened to change my mind that they are a fantastic club.

“I get on well with their owners David Gold and David Sullivan and I have nothing but praise for West Ham.

“In their situation, with their fantastic away record, it’s going to be a massive test for us – but it’s one that whets the appetite.

“They have drawn the last four at home and they will be glad to get back on the road.

“They don’t have to worry about how they play away from home, I think that is why they have done so well on their travels.”

Despite West Ham’s fragile home form, Warnock is still backing Sam ­Allardyce’s side to hold off the ­Reading charge and go on to seal ­automatic ­promotion to the Premier League.

He said: “When you have got a wage bill like they have and the money they’ve spent it is always going to put more ­pressure on you, and ­Reading haven’t helped them with the great run that they are on.

“But I still expect West Ham to go up in an automatic place and I have nothing but praise for that club.”

team talk

Hall joins Dons on loan

West Ham United striker Robert Hall has completed a loan move to MK Dons until the end of the season.

The 18-year-old has already spent a spell on loan this term at League Two Oxford, where he scored six goals in 14 outings.

Hall, an England Under-19 international, will wear the number 46 shirt and is set to be included in the squad for the Dons' trip to Chesterfield.

Another young Hammer, 20-year-old forward Christian Montano, has joined Oxford for a month.

daily mail

West Ham sign Pompey keeper Henderson on loan to end of season

West Ham have completed the signing of Portsmouth goalkeeper Stephen Henderson on an emergency loan until the end of the season.

The 23-year-old has been in fine form for Pompey this season, but he becomes the latest player to leave the crisis club as they look to cut costs and stave off liquidation.

Midfielders Liam Lawrence and Hayden Mullins have already left the club for Cardiff and Reading respectively, and Henderson had a message of support for his former club.

'As everybody knows, Portsmouth have financial difficulties, so I was told that West Ham put a bid in on Friday and that bid was accepted. I’m sad to leave Portsmouth but very happy to join a successful club in West Ham,' he told West Ham's official website.

'I had a special bond with the Portsmouth fans. They were absolutely brilliant with me and it has been very difficult for them losing players, but it had to be done to keep the club going.

'They know and we know that they have to stay positive and if they do stay up, that’ll be a massive achievement. I hope they do and I’ll be looking out for their scores every week.'

And Henderson is looking forward to challenging Hammers No 1 Robert Green for a starting spot as Sam Allardyce's side look to secure promotion back to the Premier League.

'I’m aware that I might have to wait for my chance because Robert Green is one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship - everyone knows that. I will just come here, work as hard as I can and hopefully be ready when I’m given my chance,' he added.

'I played against West Ham for Portsmouth at Fratton Park and we lost 1-0 to a Mark Noble penalty, so I did OK there and the season has gone pretty well personally.

'Obviously it’s been pretty difficult with everything that has been going on, but it’s made me a stronger person and I’m ready for a new challenge.'

official site

taylor eyes club record win

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20120317/ ... 84_2662778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roman Abramovich is still set to wield the axe this summer, with stars including striker Didier Drogba, 34, and defenders Ashley Cole and John Terry, both 31, likely to be under threat.

the Sun

Tottenham will do everything possible to bring in Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho as manager if Harry Redknapp takes the England job.

Daily Mirror

Italian giants Juventus have set aside a £30m transfer war-chest to acquire a world-class striker, with Liverpool's Luis Suarez, 25, and Arsenal's Robin van Persie, 28, topping their wanted list.

Metro

Manchester United will offer around £19.1m to Ajax for their young Denmark stars, 20-year-old attacking midfielder Christian Eriksen and 17-year-old forward Viktor Fischer.

Caughtoffside

Fulham manager Martin Jol has ruled out any chance of making a move for Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov, 31, because he believes he will only leave for another top side.

talkSPORT

Sheffield Wednesday want former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler, 36, to spearhead their League One promotion push.

Daily Mail

Alessandro del Piero's agent says the 37-year-old striker could be set for a summer move away from Juventus, with Arsenal reportedly interested.

Sky Sports

Manchester United face a battle with Bayern Munich and mega-rich Russian club Anzhi to land 23-year-old Brazilian defender Dede from Vasco da Gama.

talkSPORT

Tottenham are ready to meet a reported £35m buyout clause to sign Lille's 21-year-old playmaker Eden Hazard and help their bid to stay in the top four over the coming seasons.

Daily Mirror

Southampton and Derby County are tracking Everton striker Conor McAleny, 19, who is available on a free transfer at the end of the season after failing to agree new terms with the Merseysiders.

Daily Mail

World Player of the Year Lionel Messi, 24, says he has no ambitions to move to the Premier League because he wants to stay at Barcelona for the rest of his career.

Sky Sports

Tottenham's Gareth Bale, 22, misses playing in the Champions League but believes Spurs will qualify as their losing run is just a blip.

the Guardian
Papiss Demba Cisse

Papiss Demba Cisse scored twice in his first three games for Newcastle

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure, 30, "can't wait" for controversial striker Carlos Tevez, 28, to return to action.

Manchester Evening News

Senegal striker Papiss Demba Cisse, 26, has told Newcastle fans and manager Alan Pardew that he can handle the pressure of wearing the number nine shirt after he was dropped for their last game at Arsenal.

Daily Mail

Michael Essien's future at Chelsea depends on who they appoint as the next Stamford Bridge manager, according to the 29-year-old midfielder's agent.

talkSPORT

Wolves players will be shown a 'secret' exit door out of Molineux - if there is another hostile reaction from fans.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal striker Park Chu-Young , 26, will not have to join the South Korean army to complete his compulsory military service.

Metro

West Bromwich Albion manager Roy Hodgson has revealed he has turned down a job at Euro 2012 - after promising his wife a holiday.

Express & Star

Bye bye Berba

EXIT DOOR ... Dimitar Berbatov is heading out of Old Trafford

STRIKER Dimitar Berbatov is on his way back to Germany.

But it is Hannover who lead the chase for Manchester United's out-of-favour man and not his former club Bayer Leverkusen.

The Bulgarian, 31, has attracted a bid of £5million and is set to be shunted out in the summer.

Pow wow

CHELSEA are close to a deal for Crewe kid Nick Powell.

The Blues have offered a package for the midfielder, 17, which could reach £5m.

Cats Steph fear

SUNDERLAND fear Stephane Sessegnon is set to quit the club this summer.

The Benin ace and his family have had problems settling in the North East and boss Martin O'Neill said: "His family concerns are something that we'll have to look at."

You Bet Ben's keen

SPANISH defender Benat is an Aston Villa target.

The Real Betis ace, 24, is for sale at £4million and said: "I'm so motivated by news there is interest."

Pompey pair make Tracs

IPSWICH look set to sign Portsmouth duo Joel Ward and Jason Pearce.

Boss Paul Jewell revealed penniless Pompey are calling clubs in a bid to off-load players and cut their £14million wage bill.

Jewell said: "We are interested, but it depends on the price and what the players want."

Keep him in the Frei

FULHAM winger Kerim Frei, 18, has penned an extended deal that will keep him at the club until 2015.

He has made 16 first-team appearances this season.

You've got to be Kidding

KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS face a fine and possible points deduction for fielding an illegal immigrant.

Jamaican Jamille Matt, 22, moved to England aged seven but does not have a British passport or a working visa.

Harriers only realised when he was picked for England C, a non-league select side, recently.

LEEDS duo Billy Paynter and Mikael Forsell are wanted on loan by Notts County.

County have already snapped up United winger Lloyd Sam.

SOUTHEND have signed ex-Scotland defender Christian Dailly, 38, on non-contract terms.

Manager Paul Sturrock said: "He has really looked after himself."

HARRY BUNN has joined Oldham from Manchester City on loan for the rest of the season.

The striker, 19, has gone straight into the squad to face Rochdale today.

WEST HAM have completed the loan signing of keeper Stephen Henderson from Portsmouth.

The 23-year-old's move is likely to become a permanent one in the summer.

EXETER'S back four will now feature Pat Baldwin, who has joined on loan from Southend.

Ex-Tottenham forward Rohan Ricketts is training with the club.

BARNSLEY boss Keith Hill has paid just £50,000 to sign defender Lee Collins, 23, from administration-hit Port Vale.

The ex-Wolves player will face Reading today.

babe of the day

http://www.imaginelifestyles.com/sites/ ... 29827.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: saturday's news 17th march includes west ham

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

cheers CH- good work as ever!
FrankieMacsPerm
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by FrankieMacsPerm »

Cheers CH

Nice of Warnock to say we're a fantastic club........

He's still a **** though!! :lol:
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

orpingtonhammer

Post by orpingtonhammer »

Thanks as always, CH, grey in Orpington, let's hope a good result today brings some sunshine into our lives!
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Cheers CH
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Galwayman
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Galwayman »

Happy St Paddy's Day to ye lot....

Presume Warnock is already on the sauce given those comments....

CH - thanks as always.... :thup:

Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH, :thup: COYI
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
rossmundo
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by rossmundo »

Pass me the sick bag Warnock you creep, I think he might want the West Ham job one day dont you.
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Galwayman wrote:Happy St Paddy's Day to ye lot....

After a late night, that doesn't look so good right now, but it will later :thup:

nothing to slate Brady about this week ! ?

Cheers CH
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Cheers CH

Happy St. Patricks to the Irish christians amongst you. :)
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers Ch :thup:

Happy St Paddys day!
the bubble hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

Have a great st. paddy's day.
Galwayman
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Galwayman »

Go raibh maith agat míle do gach mo chairde.... :crest:
Philosophical Dan
KUMB's campest cyclist
Location: 10 PRINT "Philosophical Dan is Skill! "; 20 GOTO 10

Post by Philosophical Dan »

“Unfortunately, I never got a penny – and that rankled with me.”

Good.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

As they say in O'America

"Sure begorrah and bejaysus, de top o' de mornin to ya on Pattys day ..............."

Come on West O'Ham batter the bejaysus outta them lot today!

COY O'I :raver: