wednesday's news 28th march includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

wednesday's news 28th march includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

CRUCIAL WIN ... West Ham celebrate

Peterborough 0 West Ham 2

BACK ON TRACK ... West Ham celebrate crucial away win

Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O'Neil scored the goals that put West Ham back in the promotion hunt after five straight draws.

And then Hammers boss Big Sam rapped: "I'm sick of all the rubbish — the chants — it all keeps rearing its head.

"I look at the facts and we have out-passed and outplayed the last six teams we've played.

"People who think anything other than that are deluded.

"The fans get frustrated and sing something but this idea has been promoted by the media.

"It didn't start there — it started from other managers years back getting jealous that I kept beating them.

"All I know is I know how to win football matches." But Allardyce was relieved to get three vital points — and that means the Hammers are now just one behind Reading, who come to Upton Park on Saturday.

After a frustrating first half, Big Sam replaced Abdoulaye Faye with Danny Collins and Julien Faubert took over from Joey O'Brien. The changes had the desired effect six minutes after the restart.

Defender George McCartney broke forward and that allowed Matt Taylor to swing a high delivery to the far post that Vaz Te smartly headed across Posh keeper Paul Jones.

Then O'Neil lashed home a 30-yard belter in the 57th minute after sloppy play from Grant McCann.

Allardyce added: "We were running short of keeping this in our hands and this was kind of getting towards the last chance saloon.

"If we had drawn or lost we wouldn't have been able to play Reading and catch them — that was the extra motivation for us."

Meanwhile Posh are still not assured of staying up despite a nine-point cushion — and that is all that is occupying boss Darren Ferguson's thoughts.

Fergie said: "Good luck to West Ham on their quest for the Premier League but we need to stay in this division.

"All I care about is getting enough points to make sure we stay in the Championship.

"I think we will have enough to do that but we're still not safe so this was important.

"I thought we were the better team for the first 25 minutes but when we were in control of the game we were not able to score.

"If we had scored then it really could have been a very different game."

the mirror

Peterborough 0-2 West Ham: Allardyce Hammers "deluded" fans

Sam Allardyce labelled critical West Ham fans as “deluded” after his side recorded a record 11th away win of the season.

Second-half goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O’Neil lifted the Hammers to within one point of second-placed Reading, who visit Upton Park on Saturday.

But during a first half dominated by Peterborough, the 5,000 travelling fans sang the name of former favourite Paolo Di Canio and “We’re West Ham United, we play on the floor”.

The repeated chants were aimed at Allardyce’s direct style of football.

And after extending his side’s unbeaten run to 11 matches at a crucial time of the season, Allardyce looked genuinely upset to be forced to defend his record - and insisted he would not change his approach.

“I’m sick of all that rubbish - it just keeps rearing its head,” he said. “For me, I look at the facts and the facts are that we outplayed, outpassed all the other six teams we have played recently.

“The facts speak for themselves and the perception of people that it is anything other than that are deluded.

“It started off from other managers years ago who were jealous I kept beating them. Whoever says we play that way are deluded because we don’t. They get frustrated and want to sing something.

“Let’s face it, it has followed me around for a long time. I can’t get away from the tag and that’s life.

“It’s there and I’ve just got to carry on. I personally don’t let it affect me. I know how to win football matches and I know what’s good for West Ham.”

Paul Taylor hit the bar after 10 minutes and in first-half injury time, Posh claimed a penalty when Gary O’Neil brought down Tommy Rowe before James Tomkins made a goal-line block from George Boyd.

But Vaz Te, who scored and won for his former club Barnsley at London Road in December, headed home after 52 minutes in his first game back after a hamstring strain. And O’Neil settled the game with a 25-yard shot five minutes later.

Allardyce added: “We were running short of looking after our own destiny. This was getting towards our last chance.”

Manager Darren Ferguson said: “When we were dominant in the first half we didn’t score.”

Peterborough remain nine points clear on the drop zone despite losing five of their last seven games.

the star

Ricardo Vaz Te heads West Ham in front last night

PETERBOROUGH 0 WEST HAM 2: SAM ALLARDYCE EYES ROYALS KNOCKOUT

SAM ALLARDYCE might have admitted defeat in his title bid – but West Ham’s automatic promotion dream still burns bright.

Second-half goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O’Neil ended the Hammers’ run of five straight Championship draws and ramped up the pressure on second-placed Reading.

Allardyce knew victory at Posh would move his side to within a point of the ­Royals.

And Reading visit Upton Park on ­Saturday in a promotion six-pointer.

Big Sam confessed before last night’s match that the Hammers’ recent run of draws had ended their hopes of catching leaders Southampton.

Overhauling Reading to clinch the ­second automatic promotion spot has ­become his main priority.

But the Hammers had to ride their luck at London Road before nudging ahead.

It took Posh just seconds to test Robert Green but the keeper was behind Lee Tomlin’s drive.

The England man was beaten by Paul Taylor’s 10th-minute effort, though, and was relieved to see it bounce back off the bar.

Vaz Te saw a Hammers reply saved ­before Green was needed again to get ­behind George Boyd’s skidding effort.

Carlton Cole almost squeezed home at the near post as the Hammers at last ­began to put Posh under ­pressure.

Matt Taylor was trying hard to make something happen for the Hammers but twice his shots failed to hit the target.

Mark Noble saw a cracking drive ­deflected wide but the corner was easily dealt with by the Posh defence.

There was a double let-off for the ­Hammers in first-half stoppage time.

First they survived a penalty shout ­before getting in a right mess with James Tomkins making a goal-saving block.

Abdoulaye Faye had been hurt in the build-up and was replaced by Danny ­Collins for the second half.

There was another change at the back with Julien Faubert coming on for Joey O’Brien.

It worked as Vaz Te ­headed a Taylor cross to the back post past Posh keeper Paul Jones to give the Hammers the lead.

Skipper Kevin Nolan should have made it 2-0 a few minutes later but fired wide from 10 yards.

It didn’t matter, though, as O’Neil beat Jones with a long-range effort.

The midfielder picked the ball up deep in Posh ­territory and wasn’t closed down before letting fly.

daily mail

Breaking the deadlock: Ricardo Vaz Te nods the Hammers ahead
Dance of delight: Gary O'Neil's goal was well-received by the visitors
Precious three points: Sam Allardyce

Peterborough 0 West Ham 2: Don't talk rubbish, Big Sam tells fans after closing in on Reading

Sam Allardyce labelled West Ham’s fans ‘deluded’ after his side closed the gap on second-placed Reading to just one point.

Goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O’Neil made it 11 matches unbeaten for West Ham, who also equalled a club record 11 away victories, yet still the 5,000 travelling fans chanted Paolo di Canio’s name.

The songs were barely audible just before kick-off, but grew in intensity after an uninspiring first 15 minutes from West Ham.

MATCH FACTS

Peterborough: Jones, Alcock, Zakuani (Little 62), Brisley, Rowe, Frecklington (Kearns 88), McCann, Boyd, Tomlin (Sinclair 62), Taylor, Barnett. Subs not used: Lewis, Ball.

Booked: Sinclair.

West Ham: Green, O'Brien (Faubert 46), Tomkins, Faye (Collins 46), McCartney, O'Neil (Maynard 88), Noble, Nolan, Taylor, Cole, Vaz Te. Subs not used: Baldock, Carew.

Scorers: Vaz Te 51, O'Neil 57.

Referee: Sarginson.

Attendance: 13,517.

Allardyce’s response was to stand in the technical area with his hands in his pockets.

The win, after all, means West Ham can overtake Reading if they beat Brian McDermott’s side at Upton Park on Saturday.

But Hammers fans were not happy. ‘We play on the floor,’ they sang, upset that their team were limited to long-range shots from Taylor and Noble, but it was justified in the final half an hour, when the visitors passed the ball around quite beautifully after taking the lead.

‘I’m sick of all that rubbish,’ said Allardyce. ‘It just keeps rearing its head.

‘The facts speak for themselves and the perception of people that it is anything other than that are deluded.

‘It started off from other managers because they got jealous I kept beating them. Whoever says we play that way are deluded because we don‘t.

‘The fans get frustrated because we don’t win so they want to win something.

‘I know how to win football matches and I know what’s good for West Ham. I can’t get away from the tag and that’s life.’

West Ham, though, were laboured in the first 20 minutes. Peterborough, by contrast, were lively straight from the start. Lee Tomlin had the first shot on target after just 28 seconds and Paul Taylor also tested Robert Green 10 minutes later, forcing the goalkeeper to tip his shot onto the bar.

Darren Ferguson was incensed Peterborough did not get a penalty just before half-time when Tommy Rowe went down in the box, but George Boyd had an great chance to make amends seconds later only for James Tomkins to block his shot.

‘The chance Boyd’s got right on half-time was the key point,’ said the Peterborough manager. ‘If the penalty was in the other box he gives it. But West Ham went 2-0 up and they looked very professional.’

Whatever Allardyce said at half-time, it worked. Vaz Te, back in the side after injury, scored his second goal at London Road this season for his second club. The 25-year-old, who also scored in a 4-3 win for Barnsley in December, headed home Taylor’s cross.

After Nolan had sent a left-foot shot whistling wide of the upright, Gary O’Neil tried the same tactic and found the bottom left-hand corner from the edge of the area to make it 2-0.

Carlton Cole, who has scored only one goal this calendar year, missed two excellent chances, as did George McCartney and Matthew Taylor.

the express

PETERBOROUGH 0 WEST HAM 2: ANGRY SAM ALLARDYCE BLASTS FANS

West Ham's 11th away win of the season has brought Sam Allardyce's side one point within Reading

SAM ALLARDYCE branded the West Ham supporters who remain critical of his side’s style of play ‘deluded’ following a record-equalling success at Peterborough.

Life should be just rosy for Allardyce now that their 11th away win of the season brought the Hammers to within one point of second-placed Reading, their opponents at Upton Park on Saturday.

Ricardo Vaz Te’s headed opener in the 51st minute was followed by Gary O’Neil’s 25-yarder six minutes later and Peterborough knew they could have suffered a far heavier defeat by the final whistle.

No West Ham team has won more than 11 times away from home in a season, yet Allardyce was forced to defend himself afterwards because of chants made by 3,500 away fans throughout the game.

The majority of the West Ham fans were less than impressed by an unruly first 45 minutes of hoofball and told Allardyce, ‘We’re West Ham United and we play on the floor’.

The Hammers were much improved after the break but Allardyce admitted the long-ball tag would never leave him, as fans who had also chanted the name of former Hammers favourite Paolo Di Canio, then sang, ‘We played on the floor and won 2-0’.

ì
look at the facts and the facts are that we outplayed, outpassed them and all the other six teams we have played recently
î

“I’m sick of all that rubbish,” said an angry Allardyce. “It just keeps rearing its head. I look at the facts and the facts are that we outplayed, outpassed them and all the other six teams we have played recently.

“The only game we haven’t outplayed anyone is Southampton and that was eight games ago. It started off from other jealous managers years ago because we kept beating them. Whoever says we play that way are deluded because we don’t.

“I don’t let it affect me. I know how to win matches and I know what’s good for West Ham. In the first 45 minutes it is difficult to play against a team with a high tempo and make it difficult to play football on the floor.

“It is bound to be a scrap away from home. The last few games have produced more in terms of passing and creating chances.”

Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson was also a disappointed man, having seen his side command the first half for zero reward.

Paul Taylor hit the bar in the 10th minute, with Robert Green helpless and the final minute of the half saw a strong penalty shout ignored by referee Chris Sarginson.

Stoppage-time also saw James Tomkins make a bold block to deny George Boyd from four yards out.

“We needed to score,” said Ferguson. “If Boydy had scored right on half-time then I would have fancied us to win it.”

the guardian

Sam Allardyce defends West Ham's tactics after win at Peterborough

Peterborough 0
West Ham United 2

Vaz Te 51,
O'Neil 57

Second-half goals from Ricardo Vaz Tê and Gary O'Neil helped West Ham make their game in hand count as they bounced back to winning ways.

However, despite the return to form, their manager, Sam Allardyce, again had to defend his tactics after negative chants about his side's direct style of play which rang out from the visiting supporters.

Allardyce said: "The perception of some people is deluded as the facts about my teams clearly speak for themselves. It is a tag that has followed me around for a long time and one I'm never going to be able to shift. I can't do anything about that but I can win football matches.

"We have had to overcome home teams playing with a lot of energy in front of full houses throughout this season. We did it again here and once we got the goals we out-passed and outplayed Peterborough.

"It was a good performance, although not as good as at Burnley on Saturday. We only drew that game, though, so everyone was miserable whereas they will be happy tonight."

Despite heading into the game unbeaten in their last 10 matches in the Championship, the Hammers had drawn their last five thus equalling a club record. But two goals in six minutes early in the second half put them in control as they moved to within one point of second-placed Reading, whom they entertain on Saturday.

They took the lead in the 51st minute when Vaz Tê headed home a Matt Taylor delivery and then O'Neil doubled his side's advantage with a brilliant curling effort from 25 yards, his second goal for the club.

Kevin Nolan later hit the bar for the Hammers while Peterborough – who hit the woodwork in the early stages – failed to mount a fightback as they lost for the fifth time in seven matches.

Peterborough went straight on to the offensive from the kick-off and Lee Tomlin fired a shot from 18 yards which Robert Green comfortably collected. The home side went even closer 10 minutes later. Paul Taylor cut inside from the left and curled an excellent shot against the crossbar, with Lee Frecklington's weak follow-up saved by Green.

West Ham struggled to get going in the opening 15 minutes but produced their first effort at goal moments later when Vaz Tê's long-range strike, which was heading for the bottom corner, was saved by the Posh keeper, Paul Jones.

Peterborough continued to pass the ball neatly and a patient move resulted in Taylor having another effort at goal, this time failing to test Green from 25 yards. But West Ham started to get on top and had a good spell of pressure. Taylor lofted a shot over the bar before doing likewise with another effort after jinking his way past a couple of defenders and into the box.

The Hammers then had a huge let-off in the closing stages of the first half. A swift Peterborough counter-attack saw George Boyd take the ball down on his chest and volley towards goal but a brilliant block by James Tomkins prevented him from opening the scoring.

the telegraph

Peterborough United 0 West Ham United 2

Sam Allardyce has labelled West Ham supporters who have questioned his style of football as “deluded” and is adamant he will never change his philosophy as he looks to help the club gain automatic promotion.

The West Ham manager came under fire from the travelling 5,000 supporters who continually sang “West Ham United – we play on the floor”. Allardyce has built up a reputation in his career for playing direct football and it has not gone down well with a large number of fans.

The timing of the criticism is questionable as West Ham finally managed to get their promotion hopes back on track after five consecutive draws with a convincing victory. They helped narrow the gap on second place Reading to just one point. Second half strikes from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O’Neil extended their unbeaten run to 11 games and helped them notch their 11th away win of the season, equalling a club record.

The victory could not have come at a better time for West Ham as they prepare to face Reading in a crucial game at Upton Park on Saturday. But despite securing a crucial three points, Allardyce was left having to defend his management skills and says he will never be able to shrug off the perception fans have of him.

Allardyce said: “I’m sick of all that rubbish. It just keeps rearing its head. I look at the facts and the facts are that we outplayed and outpassed all the six teams we have played recently. The only game we haven’t outplayed anyone is Southampton and that was eight games ago. The facts speak for themselves and the perception of people that it is anything other than that is deluded.

“It started off from other managers years ago who got jealous because we kept beating them. Whoever says we play that way are deluded because we don’t. [The fans] get frustrated because we don’t win so they want to sing something. Let’s face it, it has followed me around for a long time. I can’t do anything about.

“It’s there and I’ve just got to carry on. I don’t let it affect me. I know how to win football matches and I know what’s good for West Ham. I can’t get away from the tag and that’s life.”

West Ham supporters had good reason to question their side’s tactics following a nervy first half which should have seen them go a goal down on the stroke of half-time after George Boyd had his shot cleared off the line by James Tomkins. But they hit back after the break and Vaz Te met a deep Matt Taylor cross and headed the ball past Paul Jones into the corner of the net. The goal spurred the away side and O’Neil doubled the lead on 57 minutes when he shot curled in from the edge of the area.

Peterborough manager Darren Ferguson felt the result would have been much different if his side had made their first half dominance count.

Ferguson said: “When we were dominant in the first half we didn’t score and we didn’t recover when they scored. That is the disappointment for me. For the first 25 minutes, I thought we were the better team. But they were very professional.”

the independent

Allardyce shrugs off fans' chants as West Ham ease pressure

Peterborough United 0 West Ham United 2

Listening to the 5,000 West Ham supporters who travelled to London Road chanting the name of Paolo Di Canio and repeatedly reminding Sam Allardyce theirs is a club that "plays on the floor", it was hard to imagine that even if he takes them up, the former Bolton centre-half will become one of the club's longer-serving managers.

"I'm sick of all that rubbish, it keeps rearing its head," said Allardyce, with some justification after his side had out-played Peterborough in the second-half to end a run of five successive draws to move within a point of Reading, currently occupying the second automatic promotion position.

"I can't do anything about it, so I don't let it affect me," said Allardyce. "We keep out-playing teams, so the facts speak for themselves. "

West Ham meet Reading at Upton Park on Saturday in a game that will go a long way towards deciding which of the two avoids the purgatory of the play-offs.

The Hammers may have been boosted by the returns from injury of Abdoulaye Faye and Ricardo Vaz Te, but it was Peterborough who made the early running. Lee Tomlin came close to putting them ahead in the first minute, but not as close as Paul Taylor, whose 25 yard drive shortly before the quarter hour came back off the top of Robert Green's crossbar.

West Ham began to see more of the ball as the half progressed, Vaz Te on the right in particular. To the frustration of lone striker Carlton Cole, though, the winger's delivery was poor. Peterborough seemed certain to go in ahead when Tyrone Barnett nodded the ball back to George Boyd, but with Green out of position, James Tomkins made a great block.

Its importance was emphasised six minutes into the second half when Taylor delivered a cross to the far post, and Vaz Te's less than powerful header somehow made it's way past Jones and inside the post. Six minutes later, Gary O'Neil picked up possession and from around 25 yards curled a shot beyond Jones, and West Ham were coasting.

Peterborough United (4-1-3-2): Jones; Alcock, Zakuani (Little, 62), Brisley, Rowe; McCann: Frecklington (Kearns, 88), Tomlin (Sinclair, 62), Boyd; P Taylor, Barnett. Substitutes not used Lewis, Little, Ball.

West Ham United (4-4-1-1): Green; O'Brien (Faubert, 46), Tomkins, Faye, McCartney; Vaz Te, Noble, O'Neil (Maynard, 88), M Taylor; Nolan; Cole. Substitutes not used Baldock, Carew, Collins.

Referee C Sarginson (Staffordshire).

Match details

Peterborough: Jones; Alcock, Brisley, Zakuani (Little 62mins), Rowe; Frecklington (Kearns 88mins), McCann, Tomlin (Sinclair 62mins), Boyd; Taylor, Barnett. Subs: Lewis, Ball

West Ham: Green; (BBrien (Faubert 46mins), Faye (Collins 46mins), Tomkins, McCartney; Vaz Te, (BNeil (Maynard 88mins), Noble, Nolan, Taylor; Cole. Subs: Baldock, Carew. Goals: Vaz Te 51, O’Neil 57

Referee: C Sarginson Att: 13,517

sky sports

http://img.skysports.com/12/03/660x350/ ... 731312.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Allardyce defends tactics
Hammers defiant after 2-0 win over Posh; Ferguson frustrated

Sam Allardyce hit back at critics of West Ham's style of play after Tuesday's 2-0 victory over Peterborough, while Darren Ferguson bemoaned missed chances.

Two goals in the space of six second-half minutes from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O'Neil settled the contest at London Road as the Hammers closed to within a point of promotion rivals Reading ahead of a mouth-watering Saturday meeting between the two teams.

But the 2-0 win was marred by negative chants about Allardyce's perceived direct style of play which rung out from the visiting supporters.

Allardyce said: "The perception of some people is deluded as the facts about my teams clearly speak for themselves.

"It is a tag that has followed me around for a long time and one I'm never going to be able to shift. I can't do anything about that but I can win football matches.

"We have had to overcome home teams playing with a lot of energy in front of full houses throughout this season. We did it again here and once we got the goals, we out-passed and outplayed Peterborough.

"It was a good performance, although not as good as at Burnley on Saturday. We only drew that game though so everyone was miserable whereas they will be happy tonight."
Ferguson reaction

Posh boss Ferguson was adamant his team should have had a penalty when Tommy Rowe went down in the box, while George Boyd was also denied by a stunning block from Hammers defender James Tomkins seconds before the break with the goal at his mercy.

Ferguson said: "We paid the price for not scoring when we were having the better of the game. If George had taken that chance right on the stroke of half-time, I feel sure we would have gone on to win.

"We should have had a penalty just before that and I feel sure it would have been given had it happened in the other area, but the really disappointing thing was the way in which we reacted to going behind.

"Too many players went into their shells and you can't afford to do that against any team, let alone one aiming to return to the Premier League."

itv sport

Peterborough lose to West Ham

Peterborough 0 West Ham 2

Peterborough's good form against the top teams in the championship came unstuck on Tuesday night. They lost 2-nil against West Ham to put Posh down in 18th place, 9 points above the drop zone. Second-half goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O'Neil helped West Ham make their game in hand count to bounce back to winning ways.

Despite heading into the game - which was postponed due to weather on February 11 - unbeaten in 10 matches in the npower Championship, the Hammers had drawn their last five, equalling a club record. But two goals in the space of six minutes early in the second half put the Hammers in control as they moved to within one point of second-placed Reading with their 11th away win of the season.

Peterborough - who hit the woodwork in the early stages - failed to mount a fightback as they lost for the fifth time in seven matches. Peterborough went straight on to the offensive from the kick-off and Lee Tomlin fired in a bobbling shot from 18 yards which Hammers keeper Robert Green comfortably collected. The home side went even closer in the 10th minute. Paul Taylor cut inside from the left and curled an excellent shot against the crossbar, with Lee Frecklington's weak follow-up saved by Green.

Peterborough continued to pass the ball around neatly and another patient move resulted in Taylor having another pop at goal this time failing to test Green from 25 yards. The Hammers then had a huge let-off in the closing stages of the first half. A swift Peterborough counter-attack saw George Boyd take the ball down on his chest and volley towards goal but a brilliant block by James Tomkins prevented him from opening the scoring.

espn

Peterborough

0 - 2
West Ham

Hammers close in on top two

Second-half goals from Ricardo Vaz Te and Gary O'Neil helped West Ham make their game in hand count to bounce back to winning ways with a 2-0 success at Peterborough.

Despite heading into the game - which was postponed due to weather on February 11 - unbeaten in 10 matches in the npower Championship, the Hammers had drawn their last five, equalling a club record.

But two goals in the space of six minutes early in the second half put the Hammers in control as they moved to within one point of second-placed Reading with their 11th away win of the season.

They took the lead in the 51st minute when Vaz Te headed home a Matt Taylor delivery and then O'Neil doubled his side's advantage with a brilliant curling effort from 25 yards, his second goal for the club.

Kevin Nolan also hit the bar for the Hammers while Peterborough - who hit the woodwork in the early stages - failed to mount a fightback as they lost for the fifth time in seven matches.

Peterborough went straight on to the offensive from the kick-off and Lee Tomlin fired in a bobbling shot from 18 yards which Hammers keeper Robert Green comfortably collected.

The home side went even closer in the 10th minute. Paul Taylor cut inside from the left and curled an excellent shot against the crossbar, with Lee Frecklington's weak follow-up saved by Green.

West Ham struggled to get going in the opening 15 minutes but produced their first effort at goal moments later when Vaz Te's strike from range, which was heading for the bottom corner, was saved by Posh keeper Paul Jones.

Peterborough continued to pass the ball around neatly and another patient move resulted in Taylor having another pop at goal this time failing to test Green from 25 yards.

West Ham started to get on top and had a good spell of pressure. Taylor lofted a shot over the bar before doing likewise with another effort after jinking his way past a couple of defenders and into the box.

The Hammers then had a huge let-off in the closing stages of the first half. A swift Peterborough counter-attack saw George Boyd take the ball down on his chest and volley towards goal but a brilliant block by James Tomkins prevented him from opening the scoring.

Boss Sam Allardyce would have been looking for the away side to up the ante in the second half and that is exactly what they did as Vaz Te headed Taylor's cross back across goal and inside the far post six minutes after the restart.

Kevin Nolan then flashed a shot just wide and things got even better six minutes later when O'Neil produced a fine curling effort into the corner past Jones.

Green produced a stunning save to deny Frecklington and the Hammers nearly added a third in the 67th minute but Nolan's effort hit the bar.

talksport

Exclusive - Hearn: Olympic Stadium isn't fit for football

Barry Hearn claims the government’s decision to maintain athletics at the Olympic Stadium will leave the venue a ‘white elephant’.

Leyton Orient were one of the clubs interested in taking over the ground when the original tender was offered, along with West Ham and Tottenham.

But having heard the demands of the Olympic Park Legacy Company, mainly that an athletics track must remain at the east London site, the Os have decided against submitting an application for tenancy of the arena.

Now Orient chairman Hearn has told talkSPORT that no football club has a realistic chance of moving into the ground, claiming: “The Olympic stadium is not fit for football. Someone has to say it. I’ve been there, I’ve had consultants [look at it], I want it because it’s 750 yards away from our [Leyton Orient] ground.

“The fact is, though, when you look at the design, it’s a magnificent athletics stadium but you can’t play football there.

“West Ham can do whatever West Ham want to do, I will object to having a major club right on my doorstep threatening to put me out of business. You must expect me to fight my corner.
The Olympic stadium is not fit for football— Barry Hearn

“My confusion, though, is how to do you play football at a stadium where the first row of seats are at ground level? The angle going back on the seats is so gradual that if there’s someone tall in front of you, you can’t see what’s going on. The seats are 40-50 yards away from pitch. If that’s football, then I’m out.

“You’re going to rebuild the stadium by knocking it down, which was a good idea by Tottenham and what should have happened, but the government aren’t brave enough to bite the bullet [and make that decision].

“Now we have to wait to and see whether West Ham go into there. I understand from them that they have a whole list of requirements that they want before they move in.

“That’s in breach of the bid document [because you’re effectively] asking them to rebuild it internally. West Ham are not filling up Upton Park, why do you want to go to a 60,000 seater stadium for?

“This stadium is a very good athletics stadium. If you want athletics in there you won’t find many better stadiums in the world. We’ve won the 2017 World Athletics Championships, but we have to wait five years for 10 days of athletic competition.

“The government have made it a condition that the athletics track has to stay for 99 years, and that is a long time for a stadium to stand a white elephant. I think they’re going to have a problem.”

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is set to clear out his fringe players, which are currently costing the club £23m a year in wages, to fund a summer spending spree. Among the names set to go are Andrey Arshavin, Marouane Chamakh and Nicklas Bendtner.

Daily Mail

Juventus are lining up a bid for Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles according to reports in his native Portugal. They are willing to offer around £9m for the 29-year-old.

talkSPORT

Chelsea could have signed Eden Hazard when he was just 17, if they had acted on the advice of agent Guy Hillion who recommended the Lille winger to the club.

Inside Futbol

Manchester City are set to swoop for Barcelona defender Adriano. The 27-year-old full-back has failed to command a regular first-team place and is also wanted by Bayern Munich and Juventus.

talkSPORT

Manchester United are eyeing summer moves for Eden Hazard and and Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, with the duo expected to command a joint fee of around £55m.
Caught Offside

Aston Villa defender Carlos Cuellar has been offered a return back to Spain in the summer with Valencia. The 30-year-old would be available on a free transfer as he is out of contract at the end of the season.

Daily Mirror

Former England boss Steve McClaren

Steve McClaren could be set to return to the FA

Former England boss Steve McClaren could be set for a return to the FA - in the technical director role which is set to be resurrected.

Daily Mail

Chelsea have offered the current France boss Laurent Blanc £9m a year to take over as manager.

Daily Mirror

It appears Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini will try anything as the season enters a dramatic finale. He has visited a renowned religious site of 'miracles' in Bosnia.

Valencia in for Carlos

CAR DEALERS ... Villa are ready to let Carlos Cuellar go

ASTON VILLA are happy for defender Carlos Cuellar to join Valencia this summer.

Villa have yet to offer the Spaniard, 30, a new deal and he seems destined to leave, with La Liga his preferred destination.

A source close to Cuellar revealed: "The Valencia option is very interesting to him."

Premier League

STOKE striker Ricardo Fuller can still win a new deal.

Fuller, 32, is out of contract in the summer and was sent off for a kick against Chelsea recently.

But his ban is over and he has eight games left to impress.

Assistant boss Dave Kemp said: "It's time to move on."

VICTOR MOSES can play his part in Wigan's fight against the drop after hospital checks revealed he has not broken his jaw.

WEST BROM midfielder James Morrison will return to action before the end of the season — despite suffering knee ligament damage in Sunday's 3-1 home defeat by Newcastle.

Championship

KANU, Benjani and Dave Kitson could leave Pompey by mutual consent, Michael Appleton has revealed.

They all earn more than £15,000 a week each and boss Appleton said: "If that did come, the club would have to listen because we are not in a great state financially."

babe of the day

http://hostedgalleries.adult.com/galler ... to/007.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the boring ones win bonus babe

http://www.likemyrack.com/VideoCollecti ... %20pic.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thebassmonkey

Re: wednesday's news 28th march includes west ham

Post by thebassmonkey »

Cheers, CH. a cracking pair of BOTD's today, looking forward to Sunday's bonus babe
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

Cheers CH. Have to say oneil resembles Bez in one those pictures. :D
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH :thup:
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

im deluded are you
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

Thanks CH.
So he knows how to win football matches, Shame about Doncaster,Boro,Waford, Palace, Bristol City, and Burnley recently.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Yes Sam, and i'm sick of you criticising our away support when it has been quality in the past few games. Is he really complaining about one or two chants when we were singing every minute of the 90? F*ck his cockiness too, who does he think he is!
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Same old Sam, always negative, 5000 west ham fans go up to P'boro midweek and all he can do is slag them off for a few chants, a few chants that probably worked too :wink:

Thanks CH
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Barry Hearn isn't exactly Mr Consistent is he?
In the same interview he says about how having a major club on his doorstep could put him out of business and the he says that spuds moving there and rebuilding the stadium from scratch was a great idea. Its not difficult to guess which direction his backhanders are coming from.

Cheers CH, as always.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

I have to say i'm beginning to agree with Sam. It's all very well saying "we play on the floor" but if we had done all of this season i doubt we'd have even be in the playoff places. You cant play like that against every team, especially not in this division, and it's b*llocks to suggest we play long ball every match. How short memories are of our 4-0 wins earlier this season where we played some great football on the deck.
We are now on the run-in and the win last night has kept us in there with the automatic spot. Is it not time to forget the, as sam has said, media led criticism that his teams play long ball all the time, and start actually supporting the team?
I spent a whole evening last night with a guy behind me constantly slagging carlton cole off for 90 minutes. How exactly is creating a scapegoat out him going to get him score goals? He's getting picked so deal with it and support him, the same with the rest of the team and start supporting the manager too.
We sing "united" but dont seem to understand what the word means.
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Cheers CH :crest:
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

We're deluded are we?

Outplayed and outpassed other teams did we? That may be so but we still go out more worried about losing than winning!

What I was pleased about last night was when we scored the first we didn't go into panic mode and try to defend that 1 goal lead. We actually played more fluent football (judging by the commentators) and used attack as the best form of defence.

Unfortunately BFS has been used to a near empty stadium at Notlob and a 52000 seater stadium where the sit silently and bugger off 15 minutes before HT for pies and 15 minutes before FT to get the Metro or hit town. I'm not saying our home support is amazing but we're probably the first passionate set off supporters he's had to deal with
BondsOfOslo

Post by BondsOfOslo »

Thanks CH

This is interesting : BFS starts to wind up his own fans. Where does this lead us?

I was at the Burnley game and I must say I was really impressed by our fans. Although 2-0 down, the fans sang their hearth out giving the team all the support that was needed for the situation. I was really impressed. No booing was heard and I think the fans really showed it's attitude when singing for Carlton Cole the minute he spoilt his megachance in the first half.

Mr. Allardyce please calm down, show some humble respect for all those people staying behind our team!
If we are to lose next game you will be in deep ****!
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Cheers CH! :thup:

The quicker this olympic stadium decision is made the quicker we won't have to read these pointless, senseless comments from that TW@ - Barry Hearn
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I find it a bit rich for Sam to say "I know how to win football matches" after 7 draws in our last 10 matches! Still, we are unbeaten in 11 so maybe "I know how not to lose matches" would've been a more accurate thing to say.

Cheers C.H :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

thanks CH great to get back to winning ways. :crest:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Thanks CH for filling the trough of grain.. :lol:
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Geordie Hammer wrote:We're deluded are we?

Outplayed and outpassed other teams did we? That may be so but we still go out more worried about losing than winning!

What I was pleased about last night was when we scored the first we didn't go into panic mode and try to defend that 1 goal lead. We actually played more fluent football (judging by the commentators) and used attack as the best form of defence.

Unfortunately BFS has been used to a near empty stadium at Notlob and a 52000 seater stadium where the sit silently and bugger off 15 minutes before HT for pies and 15 minutes before FT to get the Metro or hit town. I'm not saying our home support is amazing but we're probably the first passionate set off supporters he's had to deal with

good shout pal :thup: