West Ham Utd 2 Reading 4 (31/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

River Plated

Re: West Ham United v Reading: Match Thread

Post by River Plated »

Well done. He is and being on a yellow card for most of the game and then a teling off from ref, Chris Foy shortly after half time, I for one, didn't expect him to last the match. Had our players acted with bit more savvy, we could have had him sent off[/quote]

Roberts is hosting 606 right now on radio 5 live. Give him a call and tell him what you think of him.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Romford wrote: Thing is mate...the Ref let him get away with murder. He backed into Faye every time and gave most to him.

How can a top darwer ref be such a mug ??

He should have been gone in the first half ....

Harte's dead balls caused grief all day
Romford, i agree r.e. the ref. As soon as I saw it was him I knew we'd probably have some trouble. I'm not sure I agree with this practice of bringing in 'Premiership' standard refs to do big Championship games. I'm pretty sure we've had them a few times and it hasn't gone well for us at all (Millwall/Southampton iirc?).

Like you, I don't get how Roberts was allowed to get away with some of the stuff he was doing. He's clearly read the 'Kevin Davies Handbook' from cover to cover. I guess you can't criticise him for going it if he knows he's gonna get away with it? Like I said earlier, if Foy genuinely thought Roberts had elbowed Faye then he should of sent him off. He's admitted to seeing the infringment by booking him, I cannot understand why he didn't red card him?

As an aside, as one of Allardyce's biggest critics what was your view of the first 40mins in terms of football quality and entertainment?
Earl K

Post by Earl K »

Romford wrote:And if not to prove the point...they like to give it out but :

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=112588" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have never seen such a wingeing timewasting bunch of mugs at the BG...ever.
Er, the Reading forum is really 'interesting', it even extends to 8 pages on some threads, and a massive 4 on the Nolan 'incident'; they will pay big money if you can post something exciting about the 'Royals'.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Denbighammer wrote:
As an aside, as one of Allardyce's biggest critics what was your view of the first 40mins in terms of football quality and entertainment?
Fantastic apart from not working the keeper enough...
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Denbighammer wrote: As an aside, as one of Allardyce's biggest critics what was your view of the first 40mins in terms of football quality and entertainment?
Romford wrote: Fantastic apart from not working the keeper enough...
Nice football and still getting beat. Who says the West Ham way is dead. :wink:

I just wonder if we might end up playing some decent stuff (at home anyway) if he's given a bit more time and has a full compliment fit. I feel that he's done half the job, perhaps he needs the time to do the other half? I can't see who else we would get in to replace him and I can't see him walking unless he;s offered a plum job somewhere else, which looks unlikely. I'm not sure I could stomach paying off a 7th consecutive manager.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Haven't posted here since the game yesterday, I have been a bit lost for words on how to sum the game up.

All I can say is that I enjoyed a game of football at the BG. This was the most enjoyable game of football for a long while. My only disappointment on Saturday was the change in tactics and personnel for the second half. Tomkins in midfield does not work. Once again, people around me in the ground were mouthing him off when he couldn't play a defence splitting pass. I said "what do you expect, he's a centre half playing out of position". All the Noble bashers should take note too - we were absolutely lost without him.

Other observations:-

Ref was a waste of space and contributed towards our downfall.
Jason Roberts is a ****.
When Carlton Cole is up for it, he's a hugely important player.
Supporting players need to get closer to Carlton Cole.
Sam Baldock's movement is the best at the club.
Nicky Maynard and Sam Baldock look as if they understand eachother's game - more minutes on the pitch together would help with this.
George McCartney is more frustrating than Carlton Cole.
For as much as Kevin Nolan has contributed this season, I do wonder if we had built a team, rather than attempt to build a team around him, we would have done better.
What have we got to lose in playing Ravel Morrison for the remaining games?

Looking forward to Barnsley away. Whilst we completely collapsed from 40 mins onwards this weekend, at full time it felt like the day we lost 4-3 to Spurs during the great escape season. The one thing that wouldn't suprise me about West Ham United is if we now go and win all our remaining games and win the league. As unlikely as that is. Either way, I have enjoyed this season on the whole, but cannot help but feel if Allardyce had been a little braver this season, we would be going back to the PL as Champions.

6 games to get behing the boys now. COYI :crest:

Edit - oh and one more thing. Maybe another season in the Championship will help shake off the idiots that come and watch our club. I was utterly ashamed of the number of people who stood up and left when Reading scored their 4th. I travel across the country every weekend to watch West Ham for a huge amount of money. I think those that cannot stay for 90 mins can jog on. Waste of space.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

Typical West Ham. Probably the best 40 minutes of football at home and then we switch off and shoot ourselves in the foot. It just shows that we do need a more attacking presence than Carlton on his own. Fair enough he grabbed a goal but apart from that he didn't threaten at all. Baldock's movement was the one thing we were missing in that first half. If he had been on the pitch I think he and Vaz Te would have run them ragged in that first half. It's all good creating the chances but we need to be much mroe ruthless in front of goal.

Thought Noble run the midfield. Will be a massive loss if he is our for a significant amount of time. We do need to play a midfielder rather Tomkins in his role though. Someone who can distribute the ball like Noble can. The midfield were lost without him in that second half and we lost a lot of build up play with Noble not there. I'm hoping he gives Lansbury or Collison a chance in that role as they are natural midfielders unlike Tomkins.

I'm not sure what happened at the end at the BML with Noel Hunt. I saw Jason Roberts acting the smug prick that he is and getting some abuse but Noel Hunt come over and looked a bit annoyed. At first, I just thought he was winding us up but he made the crossed hammers and clapped us. He then got even more abuse :lol: So, not sure if he was doing it sarcastically or in good will because I've heard a few people say he supports West Ham?
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Anyone got a download link for the game?

I had the worst stream this season here in Thailand and could barely get more than a few seconds at a time. I really want to see the first 40 minutes, and Vaz Te's goal!

I reckon Reading will subconsciuosly think they're up know and could easily start a fatal wobble. Leeds, Brighton and Soton. I reckon they'll be lucky to get 2 points from that lot. We'll win our next three and be 3 pts above them. :thup:
Hammers Dad
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

wizzo_66 wrote:Edit - oh and one more thing. Maybe another season in the Championship will help shake off the idiots that come and watch our club. I was utterly ashamed of the number of people who stood up and left when Reading scored their 4th. I travel across the country every weekend to watch West Ham for a huge amount of money. I think those that cannot stay for 90 mins can jog on. Waste of space.
Does it really matter when they leave?
I left early, with the wife and kids, because we had another engagement in the evening to get to. It really bugs me when our supporters get on each others backs because they leave early....it isn't a competition to see who can stay in the ground the longest. If they have paid their money and want to miss a few minutes of the match then why can't they?
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Wizzo,if only every fan was as committed and diehard like your goodself .
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

I didn't get on anyone's back. It's their choice to leave. Just expressing my opinion. Thought it was comical when the ball literally hit the back of the net and so many got up to leave.

Individuals have their own valid reasons for leaving early on occasions, I am pointing out the usual suspects who will leave whenever we go 2 goals behind in a game!
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

Found it really hard watching that on Saturday. I thought the first 42 minutes we were going to kick on and murder them they couldnt handle us.... then bang bang bang!!

I wont go into too much detail on the game was gutted with the result but what I will say is I have never seen a bunch of moaning ****ing ****ers like Readings players! Id love to be locked in a room with Noel Hunt I would punch his head in!

Everytime they had 3/4 players around the ref moaning.... then they had somone down on the floor rolling around like they had been shot! Chris Foy was totally inept his performance for a Premier League ref was awful!

Jason Roberts must have paid Foy a few quid! and after this game Reading fans are right up there with Spurs fans in my opinion!

Ulitmately we should have beat them on Saturday and lost due to poor defending but 6 games to go and I wont be giving up! :crest:
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

CentenaryUpperHammer wrote:I'm not sure what happened at the end at the BML with Noel Hunt. I saw Jason Roberts acting the smug prick that he is and getting some abuse but Noel Hunt come over and looked a bit annoyed. At first, I just thought he was winding us up but he made the crossed hammers and clapped us. He then got even more abuse :lol: So, not sure if he was doing it sarcastically or in good will because I've heard a few people say he supports West Ham?
He's a big West Ham fan apparently.
Coker

Post by Coker »

I left as the 4th went in, does that make me a bad fan ? watched every game till the end then sat in traffic for 40 mins waiting to get to the Blackwall tunnell , i was as pissed off as every fan was there on sat , best weve played for ages until there goal went in , then collapsed , does anyone know if Noble was injured

putting Tonks in cm when we need goals was stupid , then reverting to hoof ball , whilst all the time Reading had 2 up top and showed why they score goals, we would of never scored a goal like there2nd as we never have anyone with cole feeding off scraps and mistakes

they play 2 up top win most and loses a few we win a few dont lose many and draw , has anyone told sam that its 1 point for a draw and 3 for a win? Headbanger
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

BMLGirl wrote:He's a big West Ham fan apparently.
Would explain the crossed hammers he did and then the sort of disappointed look he gave when a few blokes tried to get at him.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double quote removed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The pattern has been there since day one of the season. We can play at a high tempo for maybe close to one half of a game.

If the opposition hang in there, a combination of inferior conditioning and our now suspect state of mind, will allow the opposition back into the game. (away from home we can play more defensively so it doesn't impact)

We didn't really dominate them for 40 minutes - we did for about 20 - then after that they started to claw their way back into it - Hunt could, and probably should, have equalised on about 22-23 minutes.

Kebe had the beating of our left - and Roberts used his experience to stop playing on Faye and go up against Tomkins, at which point he became a 100% more effective.

For all the talk of us being worse second half, the reality is both halves finished 1-2 and we conceded goals from sloppy square balls 25-30 yards from goal in both halves, whilst Faubert was exposed defensively in both halves.

In the second half we were chasing the game and inevitably became a bit more ragged... yet still scored, and Maynard's chance was the clearest one created all day.
joyful

Post by joyful »

a combination of inferior conditioning
again, one of the things Sam, based on his reputation, was supposed to bring us was the most scientific and up to date conditioning programmes. So do our players just not take any notice, or once again is this part of the Sam illusion?
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

joyful wrote: again, one of the things Sam, based on his reputation, was supposed to bring us was the most scientific and up to date conditioning programmes. So do our players just not take any notice, or once again is this part of the Sam illusion?
All footballers should now be conditioned to the extent where they run and run and run. Allardyce has talked about conserving energy by keeping the ball. Our players have given the ball away at lost this season not (as is often the consensus on this site) by launching it aimlessly, but by messing up simple 5 yard-passes to a claret and blue shirt. Sort that out and they would fare much better.

Where Allardyce has gone wrong for me this season is failing to get the lads to shake off that nervousness, lack of confidence at home that seems to have existed ever since things started going wrong for Zola and Jiminez back in 2009.
clawhammer
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Coker wrote:I left as the 4th went in, does that make me a bad fan ?
Yes.If you don't agree you should see the difference in those staying when we win to last Saturday....everybody has got a prior engagement????....but only when we lose!!!!

Anybody can support the team when they are doing well. You would be happier supporting Spuds. A good fan stays and supports his team through thick and thin. Too many on here want it both ways. Ours, unfortunately is not a club for glory hunters! It is sticking with the team on the bad days/seasons/decades that makes the good days so good.

If you want to be able to consider yourself a good fan then support the team to the end ALL the time.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

Clawhammer kind of summed up my feelings in a much more robust way :lol: . I do understand that some people have to leave early on occasions, but like I said before, the number of people who left literally as the ball hit the back of the net for Reading's 4th, was quite frankly, hilarious.

Like I said, starting to think another season down here will whittle out some more of the boo boys.