West Ham Utd 2 Reading 4 (31/03/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Re: West Ham United v Reading: Match Thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

joyful wrote: again, one of the things Sam, based on his reputation, was supposed to bring us was the most scientific and up to date conditioning programmes. So do our players just not take any notice, or once again is this part of the Sam illusion?
I think that some of them are beyond his reach tbh - though I do think that some do look improved.

It isn't in them naturally, or after injury, to be able to compete with the various younger, fitter, naturally more athletic players.

If you look at the Newcastle revival - how many players do they have in their team that look suspect physically? None? One?

Pardew and O'Neill consciously avoid older, slower players unless they really are gifted.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I must admit, I've never really got the leaving early thing. I know that we're not renowned for comebacks, but there's always the chance that you might be the bloke that missed 3 goals in 45 seconds to see us bury Reading.

Plus, if you are losing, that's the best time to show what a superb fan you are. That's why on Sky when a side gets relegated some miserable basta*d will hang around looking sad rather than going to the pub so he can claim - saddest fan award.

No-one likes miserable fans. Keep singing, keep dancing, keep supporting the club. Put your own views across at appropriate junctures (if required) and moan like hell on KUMB, but whatever else you do, stay until the end. We, as fans, can't do very much about the performance and we can at least keep our own house in order.

The last two performances (of the fans) have been pretty good for me. Even if the players stop trying with 20 minutes to go, there's no reason why we should!
Coker

Post by Coker »

LOL the 3 blokes next to me arrive 10 mins late , leave 5 mins before half time, sometimes they come back for 10 mins in the 2nd half and sometimes they dont bother coming back , there all season ticket holders im pretty sure the Daves dont mind that as there paying there £700 a season to watch a little bit of footy

are they bad fans :)

as for Booing i dont see the benefit of doing it , but i pay my money if i wanna leave early im entitled too, hopefully if i do it again were swing a 4-2 defeat to a 5-4 victory and il be left with egg on my face but thats the risk
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Coker wrote:LOL the 3 blokes next to me arrive 10 mins late , leave 5 mins before half time, sometimes they come back for 10 mins in the 2nd half and sometimes they dont bother coming back , there all season ticket holders im pretty sure the Daves dont mind that as there paying there £700 a season to watch a little bit of footy

are they bad fans :)
They certainly don't sound very good.
Hammers Dad
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

Coker wrote:I left as the 4th went in, does that make me a bad fan ?
clawhammer wrote:Yes.If you don't agree you should see the difference in those staying when we win to last Saturday....everybody has got a prior engagement????....but only when we lose!!!!

Anybody can support the team when they are doing well. You would be happier supporting Spuds. A good fan stays and supports his team through thick and thin. Too many on here want it both ways. Ours, unfortunately is not a club for glory hunters! It is sticking with the team on the bad days/seasons/decades that makes the good days so good.

If you want to be able to consider yourself a good fan then support the team to the end ALL the time.
Once the money is handed over, no one at the club cares if they turn up or leave early.
I couldn't give a monkeys if the blokes next to me and the boy left early, in fact, I would prefer it if they did.
I stay until I am ready to go. If that means I miss a winning goal, then so be it. If I leave early when we are losing then I will do so. It doesn't stop me being a fan or coming to the next game. The fact I renewed my season ticket despite the sh*te we have been seeing for the last few years says I am a loyal fan. This doesn't mean either that those that haven't renewed are not suddenly non-fans either, they just have better things to spend their cash on or want a break from the cr*p we were seeing week in week out.

If anyone is driving away "true fans" it's c*cks like you who whinge and moan about the other fans.
BMLGirl
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by BMLGirl »

wizzo_66 wrote:Clawhammer kind of summed up my feelings in a much more robust way :lol: . I do understand that some people have to leave early on occasions, but like I said before, the number of people who left literally as the ball hit the back of the net for Reading's 4th, was quite frankly, hilarious.

Like I said, starting to think another season down here will whittle out some more of the boo boys.
I left early (when the 5th - disallowed - goal went in) for the first time in years, just couldn't bear another minute in the ground on Saturday and couldn't face watching the Reading fans celebrate at the final whistle. Sorry to disappoint you but I will be back next season no matter what division we are in!
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

wizzo_66 wrote:Other observations:-

Ref was a waste of space and contributed towards our downfall.
Jason Roberts is a ****.
When Carlton Cole is up for it, he's a hugely important player.
Supporting players need to get closer to Carlton Cole.
Sam Baldock's movement is the best at the club.
Nicky Maynard and Sam Baldock look as if they understand eachother's game - more minutes on the pitch together would help with this.
George McCartney is more frustrating than Carlton Cole.
For as much as Kevin Nolan has contributed this season, I do wonder if we had built a team, rather than attempt to build a team around him, we would have done better.
What have we got to lose in playing Ravel Morrison for the remaining games?

Looking forward to Barnsley away. Whilst we completely collapsed from 40 mins onwards this weekend, at full time it felt like the day we lost 4-3 to Spurs during the great escape season. The one thing that wouldn't suprise me about West Ham United is if we now go and win all our remaining games and win the league. As unlikely as that is. Either way, I have enjoyed this season on the whole, but cannot help but feel if Allardyce had been a little braver this season, we would be going back to the PL as Champions.

6 games to get behing the boys now. COYI :crest:

Edit - oh and one more thing. Maybe another season in the Championship will help shake off the idiots that come and watch our club. I was utterly ashamed of the number of people who stood up and left when Reading scored their 4th. I travel across the country every weekend to watch West Ham for a huge amount of money. I think those that cannot stay for 90 mins can jog on. Waste of space.
I couldn't add anything to this....exactly how I feel.

The amount of people F'in and blinding at BFS, when really and truly it come down to poor finishing and a bit of luck regarding the offside.

What was Jason Roberts porblem btw? Has something happend previously?
Last edited by hammersam on Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

BMLGirl wrote:I left early (when the 5th - disallowed - goal went in) for the first time in years, just couldn't bear another minute in the ground on Saturday and couldn't face watching the Reading fans celebrate at the final whistle. Sorry to disappoint you but I will be back next season no matter what division we are in!
Well if it was the first time you have left early in years then you're hardly one of the repeat offenders that boo and leave whenever we are losing after 60 minutes!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Their 4th was not offside. Hunt was level.

The only shocking thing about their 4th, was Baldock lazily giving them the ball and just prancing away afterwards, completely uninterested in tracking back.

Noble, gave the ball away for their 1st.
Taylor, gave the ball away down the left which led to an attack.

Simple bread and butter stuff.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Their 4th was not offside. Hunt was level.

The only shocking thing about their 4th, was Baldock lazily giving them the ball and just prancing away afterwards, completely uninterested in tracking back.

A lot of sideways passing in front of the centre backs that Reading punished through pressing up the pitch......
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Why was jason Roberts allowed to block Green for the first goal. He did it on the corner before that one, never mind it being a foul on Green more to the point why didn't a defender get him out the way ?
Hammers Dad
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Hammers Dad »

taffhammer wrote:Why was jason Roberts allowed to block Green for the first goal. He did it on the corner before that one, never mind it being a foul on Green more to the point why didn't a defender get him out the way ?
Just about every team do it, or at least try to.
Nolan did it too, just not as successfully
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

bubbles1966 wrote:A lot of sideways passing in front of the centre backs that Reading punished through pressing up the pitch......
Too bad someone didn't hoof it up the pitch, eh?
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

What was that embarrassing song they were singing?? E, I, E, I, O boll*cks. Sounded like a bunch of 7 year olds. They reminded me of Palace fans. Sad.
CentenaryUpperHammer

Post by CentenaryUpperHammer »

the wren wrote:What was that embarrassing song they were singing?? E, I, E, I, O boll*cks. Sounded like a bunch of 7 year olds. They reminded me of Palace fans. Sad.

Group in the BML sing the same song :lol:
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Their 4th was not offside. Hunt was level.

Agree. But remember Foy should never have given the penalty. He fell over and hit Faye's knee
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Hammers Dad wrote: Just about every team do it, or at least try to.
Nolan did it too, just not as successfully
Exactly, so why didn't they realise what was happening and deal with it ? pretty basic stuff.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

hammersam wrote: What was Jason Roberts porblem btw? Has something happend previously?
He definitely has something against WHU - it may go back to his time at Wigan and the Tevez thing? Anyone know?
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Re Jason Roberts - the promotion push under Pardew - we were their promotion rivals, beat them at their place. But he always seems to score against us, likes getting one over on us. Was the same at Blackburn.

Given the importance of the game, it was understandable that he would be right up for it.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

PrinceH wrote:Agree. But remember Foy should never have given the penalty. He fell over and hit Faye's knee
I can't tell with the penalty.
It was right in front of us in the BML and it looked like Hunt went down easily, but also that Faye went in to him quite clumsily.
From the replay, it showed pretty much the same thing; that there was contact, but Hunt definitely made the most of it.
I'd say if it was a penalty - which could have gone either way - then it was quite a relatively soft one.