Barnsley 0 West Ham Utd 4 (06/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Re: Barnsley v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Enjoyed the game. Nolan was great. Great win. Fans did us proud
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bobo wrote:Stop moaning...
Once again - one person (who's been given a week off). Followed by 10x as many posters moaning about the lone moaner. Oh the irony.

Be nice if we could ALL just concentrate on a really positive performance for once, rather than let another match thread disintegrate into a slanging match :thup:
billybondsballbag
MILF lover
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by billybondsballbag »

Up the Junction wrote:Be nice if we could ALL just concentrate on a really positive performance for once, rather than let another match thread disintegrate into a slanging match
On that note...

It was a fantastic, professional performance, and we were easily four goals better; I actually thought that we could end up getting another couple after the fourth went in, but it wasn't to be (although we hit the bar and had one ruled out for offside, so it's not like we didn't have the chances). I've only been able to get to a few games this season, what with being skint, studying flat-out for my PhD, and living in East Yorks, but we've won each time I've gone without seeing us concede a goal (Donny Rovers 1-0, Hull City 2-0, Barnsley 4-0). Unfortunately, I don't think I'm going to get to any more games this season, because the logarithmic increase in our goals scored suggests that we'll win the next match that I attend 8-0. :(

Anyway, it was a great atmosphere - non-stop noise from our travelling fans- and I hope that we continue to get behind the team AND the manager until the end of the season. There still may be one or two surprises to come, methinks.
englandsnumber13

Post by englandsnumber13 »

Watched the Game on Tv and thought it was an excellent performance was also nice to to see the players smilling even when a pass went astray. thats how in control they were.

Re the last 5 game i honestly belive that reading will loose their next 2 games and we will overtake them i think being top will heap pressure on them, They will not like being chassed!

COYI!!!!!!!!!! :raver:
morrisey is a hammer

Post by morrisey is a hammer »

Really happy watching the game on t.v. A great performance by all, and so pleased to see maynard shooting on sight more. I have only seen us draw when going this season to the ground.Really wish we could find a system that can work at home as good as it does away. well done all the fans who made the trip. I thought oneil was superb in what he did yesterday, energy, tackling, passing and passion was all spot on, fair play to bez.
whufcspoon

Post by whufcspoon »

Really enjoyable day out yesterday! Nolan was class and Maynard also had an important part to play in the first 3 goals! I was pleased to see Sam applaud the fans as he went under the tunnel, if we are going to get promoted we need unity. Birmingham will be tough but we can do it!

COME ON YOU IRONS :crest:
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Great performance, every player played a part yesterday, they all put in effort.

Some really good goals as well

That Maynard goal... that's the way West Ham should pass and score :raver:
Av it

Post by Av it »

Determination, pressing them all over the park, some real flair and some cracking goals. Anyone knocking that performance needs to seriously have a word with their self! Top stuff from the lads! :raver:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

A good professional performance that will boost our own confidence and serve as a reminder to Soton and Reading that we're not out of it yet.

Everyone put in a shift, we did all the basics right and fully deserved our win.

Still, Barnsley were awful. I know there's a bit of a financial gulf between the two teams but they didn't turn up at all. No closing down, lightweight challenges, players going through the motions. Given the pressure we've been under you'd have thought they'd have taken the opportunity to have a good go at us.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

Excellent team performance and support.

I feel like I want to thank Nolan for making the captaincy mean something this season in terms of bonding and motivating the team; a top personal performance is a bit of a bonus :D and thank Fat Sam for building confidence and resilience in a right shower.

Those two things alone are enough to make me happy with this seasons efforts. I'm confident the rest will come.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

sendô wrote:A good professional performance that will boost our own confidence and serve as a reminder to Soton and Reading that we're not out of it yet.

Everyone put in a shift, we did all the basics right and fully deserved our win.

Still, Barnsley were awful. I know there's a bit of a financial gulf between the two teams but they didn't turn up at all. No closing down, lightweight challenges, players going through the motions. Given the pressure we've been under you'd have thought they'd have taken the opportunity to have a good go at us.
Indeed. Barnsley's performance reminded me of some of our recent displays against the bigger Premiership sides where we were beaten before we even crossed the white line.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

sendô wrote:
Dont want to be gloating, but i did find this post-match interview with Keith Hill amusing - he's not holding back!
http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 75,00.html
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

"We want to be in the Championship next season, but with performances like that I can't see where the next point is coming from and that's what is really difficult for me as a manager and my pride."

:lol:

****ing hell. He makes Allardyce look like a PR guru. That is a ridiculous thing to be saying at this stage of the season. Feel sorry for Barnsley fans.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

helloducks wrote: Dont want to be gloating, but i did find this post-match interview with Keith Hill amusing - he's not holding back!
http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/page/NewsDe ... 75,00.html
Actually felt a bit sorry for Barnsley after watching the game on telly yesterday . . . Really not sure about their CB's - looked like they were operating in slo-mo.
But, doesn't matter how poor they were, nice to see us do a great job :thup:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2627 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

I have to laugh at Hill, after they fouled their way through the game at our place and the **** had the temerity to say that he wouldn't resort to direct football.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:******* hell. He makes Allardyce look like a PR guru.
He also made Sam look like Giorgio Armani when he turned up to the press conference at the Boleyn earlier in the season looking like an extra from the set of Emmerdale...
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Fair play to them, they did add to an entertaining game. I think about HT the stats showed 50% to each team. But the defended poorly. As Paddy mentioned during the game, they weren't doing their keeper any favours and lo and behold we scored.

The manager wants team to play football fair enough, but he doesn't quite have the personnel to pull it off. Did they say that their 2 forwards had only scored something like 1 between them in the last 8 or 9 games ? And they struggled a bit yesterday. Their outside right gave Linda all sorts of problems at times, maybe they should have put more pressure on our full backs because they did have a bit of pace up front.

The only nit pick for me was Rob Green's kicking. What the Fkcu was he thinking when he dinked it to their bloke about 25 yards out and then had to go full length to keep out the shot ? Some of his upfield balls were shocking especially when we only had Maynard up there. When he threw it out we looked better ~ except that one time to Tonka ~ was he expecting it or was he taken by surprise ? I know it looked like he lost his footing, but it also looked as though he wasn't expecting it.
Ted Fenton
Location: Rural Sevilla & the quieter part of Costa del Sol, sunny Spain
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Ted Fenton »

More long balls and we've had scored 8 or more. :wink:
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Full game on iplayer :thup:
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Possibly, no def the worst team performance by any team in the 4 leagues that ive seen yesterday from barnsley, you sure avrams not in charge there in a keith hill mask