West Ham Utd 3 Birmingham City 3 (09/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Re: West Ham United v Birmingham City: Match Thread

Post by bonzosbeard »

I really enjoyed the game and thought we really tried hard to comeback (twice). The thing is however, I thought the fans on here would be bemoaning the fact we hadn't won and criticising. I couldn't have been more wrong and added to my armoury of what being a West Ham fan is all about.

That is the difference between us and Chelsea and Arsenal. Stick your premiership up your arse with the blue flag, games like that don't come often, neither do decent supporters. I love this club, the fans and all we hold dear.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I had a few snipes at our fans after our last game so feel it is necessary to comment on them tonight and say we were much much better today. It was a good atmosphere. However I did laugh watching one bloke throw his season ticket on the pitch after there 3rd goal went in.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Morocco Mole wrote:There was some quality, measured long passes in behind the Brum full backs today in the second half.

Completely penned Birmingham in and was reminiscent of Bolton at their best. Certainly wasn't aimless 'hoofing'... :thup:
That's what I thought I saw too. There's a big difference between a ball played long, and a long ball.
garage
Has liked: 1 like

Post by garage »

Just watching the replay how did Cole miss that 3rd goal of theres didn't even bounce that high :eh:
whufcspoon

Post by whufcspoon »

Just seen the highlights, oh lansbury was so close!! Fantastic game, COME ON YOU IRONS :crest:
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

Allardyce got it spot-on in the second half.
yes. by bombarding a knackered brum who were happy to hold onto a 1 or 2 goal lead..

just dont see how anyone can take alot of solace out of that today lads, dont make it personal , it was a poor performance, littered with basic errors - basic errors we continue to make. Basic errors the grupenfuerer of tactics and drills was brought here to get rid of.

We wont make it through the play-offs because we're still unable to match or beat half-way decent teams - the stats and performances dont lie, just dont bitch about people like me telling the truth- sure I enjoyed the barnsley trip, but we just havent beaten sides at home when we should have due to poor tactics and performances, and havent shown anywhere near the guile and skill against the better sides, and I dont have any faith that it will change.

well done vas te, again,. poor old sam baldock gets the david beckham- throw him on for five minutes appearance money award, again.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Still buzzing from the game today. Haven't said that before this year. This is the West Ham way. The entertaining way. Wouldn't have it any other way. You can stick the easy comfortable away wins, give me a nail biter anyday.

COYI its still on the cards
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

Don't know if it's already been covered on here - but me and me daughter watching it in the pub and the best moment was the chant when Marlon KIng went off of: "She said No"!
Both had a right good laugh at that - and that was before our equalizer.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

w4hammer wrote: just dont see how anyone can take alot of solace out of that today lads, dont make it personal
I know you W4 and respect your thoughts, but I feel really bouyed after today. We showed the spirit we will need in May.

ps - don't worry about the Einsatzgruppen on here mate - you do the mileage :thup:
submerged

Post by submerged »

wowzer.. what a grand day.. so 1st match for 13 years, and apart from the pish Carlswank i was forced to neck at half time {3.80? really? for pish?} , a brilliant day, despite the rain and the wind and the boos and the tube fares and the police confiscating a couple of tinnies on Green street,,what a wonderful reminder of what i love about West Ham and East London.
Big sloppy nan kebab from the kebabish, and then an hour to wander about soaking it all in. As an exile in Barcelona, i cant tell you what a hoot it is to see so many Hammers in one go after such a long time away.
We got on the tube at Upminster and i had to resist the urge to approach everyone i saw in claret and blue and embacing them or at least being overtly over-friendly, its wierd, anywhere else in the world i just steam right in. Anyway, had to wait around for our man with the tickets, who was 3 minutes late {mini-internal freak-out for 2-59}.
Got up to our seats, and tried to work out why Tompkins was over there when he should be over here. Thought we started ok though until the goal. Then started to think it was gonna be one of those daze..{zzz}.. however for about 40 seconds after we got one back i was sure we were right back in it innit. But of course, whooppsie on the carpet,1-3, and i tried to not glare at the booers as we trudged off at half time.
Unrefreshed by 2 gottles of the pish, settled in for a rousing 2nd half in which i screamed and sang myself hoarse. And was also very impressed by the irrepressible spunkish singing from what i believe is these days referred to as 'chav corner' ..they never really stopped. pwoper West Ham i say.
I thought Nolan, Lansbury, Reid, Vaz Te and Cole were excellent and was happy to give Noble a standing ovation off the pitch as he has been great this year and is also pwoper West Ham imho.
I'd already settled for the play-offs in my mind so anything beyond that will be a treat but what i most loved about today was the 'duende', the soul, the heart of who we are, it was clear to see and hear even when muffled by the boring boo-happy, entitled brats. The pounding heart of our club is alive and well, and after 13 years away that was the thing id feared may have been diminished.
If i can scape the cash together, i'll be seeing and hearing you at Wembley, if i cant, theres a bignose in a bar in Barcelona that will be screaming you on to the end, and if we win we sing, and if we lose, we sing. For me thats what West Ham is.
We are.......... :crest:
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

w4hammer wrote: We wont make it through the play-offs because we're still unable to match or beat half-way decent teams - the stats and performances dont lie, just dont bitch about people like me telling the truth- sure I enjoyed the barnsley trip, but we just havent beaten sides at home when we should have due to poor tactics and performances, and havent shown anywhere near the guile and skill against the better sides, and I dont have any faith that it will change.
Thing is, we don't need to take the game to sides in the same way in the play-offs. Draws keep us in the competition. We've only lost eight games this season. Three were to the two sides going up ahead of us. So that's five games we've lost to teams below us. Of those, only Cardiff are going to be near the playoffs, and that was the first day of the season after we completely battered them.

We should have no reason to believe we're going to lose to any of our playoff rivals. Birmingham would have been the only ones to knock us out over our two games with them, and only on away goals.

Blackpool W 8-1
Cardiff W 2-1
Brighton HT 1-0
Middlesbrough W 3-1
Leicester HT 3-2
Hull HT 2-0

Nothing to fear from anyone but Birmingham, and despite the result, I think we showed we have the edge on them today.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

submerged wrote: The pounding heart of our club is alive and well, and after 13 years away that was the thing id feared may have been diminished.
Good to hear.

Sigue tu corazon x
rsnwhu
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by rsnwhu »

Being a gazillion miles away and the evening games being on at 4am in the morning here, I really appreciate all the comments here to be able to get a feel for the game.

Sounds like we managed a good comeback, which bodes well for the playoffs. If Reading win today though, I feel that any chance of an auto promotion spot will have receded substantially, if not mathematically. It is a mystery how we have done so well away from home but not as well at home this season. Is it because Sam is a northerner ? Maybe he feels out of sorts with a bunch of Londoners screaming at him at home games ? Who knows ? As some have said here already, I would love to see us go up but we are still heavily in debt and I suspect a lot of the money we would receive for going up (if we did) would be used to pay down the money owed making it a real battle (if the owners could give Sam a plane ticket or two to go hunting for some players on the cheap like he did when he was at Bolton that might help but what do I know ? Just conjecturing).

Great comeback anyway by the lads. Well played. Must have been really a "game of two halves" roller coaster for the fans in its truest sense and kudos to the lads for keeping it "The West Ham way"
:crest:
Last edited by rsnwhu on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarshyWHU

Post by MarshyWHU »

We're on the march with Big Sam's army, we're all going Wembley, and we'll really shake things up when we lift the playoff cup, cos West Ham are the greatest football team :raver:
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I think the turning point was Birmingham losing the giant N'Daw to injury as up to that point he was shielding their back four magnificently, winning all the loose balls and mopping up every thing that came his way. As soon as he went off Cole really came into the game, harrying and harrassing their two centre halves into plenty of mistakes and making poor balls look like good ones with his work rate.

The introduction of Lansbury for Maynard was a brave one but a vital one too. It would of been easy to chuck more strikers on the pitch but Lansbury bought some much needed tempo to our passing and drive from midfield. Whilst that was a good move by Allardyce, I'm not sure the same can be said with Collins replacing McCartney ahead of Taylor; a substitution clearly in line with his general negative policy throughout much of the season and similar to what we saw in the last home fixture.

Credit must go to the players for a stirring second half fight back but we cannot simply keep giving the opposition such easy goals with basic, individual errors. I think fingers could point to Green for all three who was rooted to his line for most of the match and helped generate a level of uncertainty throughout the back line which was amplified by the presence of four central defenders strung across it.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

I spent the first 15 minutes swearing at theTV and specifically the Qataris - Al Jazeera didn't put the coins in the meter until 30 minutes in so thank the lord for Wembley's post meaning I could tune into wiziwig - anyway morning after feels no better than after the game - a point was the least we needed but still feel Reading will beat Brighton and even a loss against Saints (though I reckon they will draw) still leaves them 3 in front if we beatBrighton with3 to play - just can't see it lads. Still I think its more exciting going up via the play offs anyway - and Wembley would be an away game too ....
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Chezza - think you're being harsh on Green. First one he was completely unsighted and was positioned perfectly being central in the goal, second true he might have narrowed the angle a bit quicker but was a good finish and the third old toblerone head should have easily cleared but construed to head it in ... Green would have assumed it was covered.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:
Thing is, we don't need to take the game to sides in the same way in the play-offs. Draws keep us in the competition. We've only lost eight games this season. Three were to the two sides going up ahead of us. So that's five games we've lost to teams below us. Of those, only Cardiff are going to be near the playoffs, and that was the first day of the season after we completely battered them.

We should have no reason to believe we're going to lose to any of our playoff rivals. Birmingham would have been the only ones to knock us out over our two games with them, and only on away goals.

Blackpool W 8-1
Cardiff W 2-1
Brighton HT 1-0
Middlesbrough W 3-1
Leicester HT 3-2
Hull HT 2-0
With respect Scaloni I think looking at it in this way is a bit unrealistic. The playoffs are an entirely different kettle of fish. What went on before them is irrelevant. It really is a lottery. One piece of good or bad luck, or one bad refereeing decision can decide our fate. These are things that we can't possibly prepare for. We just need to hope more than anything that these things go our way on the day. I really don't think my heart can handle the play-offs again but its looking ever more likely that thats where we are headed. After yesterdays game, however, I am feeling a bit more confident about the play-offs. I agree with UTJ that we 'got our West Ham back' yesterday. There certainly was a buzz and determination that has been missing for some time. I just hope that we carry that spirit into the play-off matches because if we play with that amount of will (first 20 mins and 2nd half yesterday) then I feel we could be a match for anybody.

Here's hoping.... :crest:
mcan
Has liked: 187 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by mcan »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote:We should have no reason to believe we're going to lose to any of our playoff rivals. Birmingham would have been the only ones to knock us out over our two games with them, and only on away goals.
Bit of a pedant, but pretty sure away goals don't count in the play offs.
Monkey Magic
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by Monkey Magic »

[quote="mcan"] Bit of a pedant, but pretty sure away goals don't count in the play offs.[/quote]

They definitely don't count