friday's news 13th april includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

friday's news 13th april includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Big clash is real turn-off for Sam

The Hammers boss believes watching the clash will increase the pressure on his team as they face Brighton at Upton Park tomorrow.

He said: “I don’t want them to watch. We’ve had to cope with the pressure of being promotion favourites all season. I don’t see why we should add to that by watching the teams who occupy the top two places play each other.

“I’m hoping the players will focus on beating Brighton and won’t bother to switch on.”

Full-back George McCartney is missing after suffering concussion in the 3-3 draw against Birmingham.

the star

FOOTIE FANS HIT IN POCKET AS PRICE OF DAY AT GAME ROCKETS

THE average cost of a match day for football fans has soared to a wallet-busting £113.

Supporters are being squeezed by spiralling prices at the turnstiles, in the pub and even at the petrol pumps.

And the eye-watering bill is rising at a staggering rate of three- and-a-half times above inflation.

The latest Football Fans’ Index has totted up supporters’ Saturday afternoon staples, including a ticket, a pint of lager and a bacon butty.

Similar to the Government’s Consumer Price Index, which measures the cost of household products, the Football Fans’ Index adds up a typical match day “basket of goods”.

It is based on what armchair fans and those who go to games have to shell out.

Other items include a gallon of petrol, train fare, replica shirt, match programme and tuning in on pay-per-view telly.

All the possible outlays add up to £112.87, an increase of more than 11% since the end of last season.

Virgin Money, which compiles the index, said it had risen by a 45% in the past six years. In 2006 the Football Fans’ Index came to just £77.95.

Virgin Money’s Scott Mowbray said: “When prices are rising generally in the economy they are going to rise in football as well.

“However, while inflation has fallen below 3.5% across the economy as a whole, inflation for football fans is running over three times higher than that.

“This is another squeeze on people’s pockets, and while some clubs are taking steps to help their fans, others need to think carefully about what else they can do.”

The average price of tickets across all English professional leagues is now £25.09, compared to £24.86 a year ago.

Replica shirts are now an average £29.81, compared to £25.81 at the end of last season.

Some clubs have launched special ticket deals, including Newcastle United who has pledged a price freeze for nine years.

Average attendances show that many hard-up fans are sticking by their beloved team despite the cost.

Premier League clubs including Norwich, Manchester United, Tottenham, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Fulham have reported consistent near sell-outs.

Manchester United have made Lille playmaker Eden Hazard, also wanted by Spurs and Manchester City, their top summer target.

Metro

Arsenal are likely to bid for Ajax pair Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen after Arsene Wenger was assured by the club's board that funds will be made available to him for a significant bid.

Caught Offside

The Gunners are also thought to be interested in Valencia defender Adil Rami, who is also allegedly wanted by AC Milan.

Inside Futbol

West Bromwich Albion are expected to sell Peter Odemwingie in order to fund a bid for Fulham striker Andy Johnson

Daily Mirror

Odemwingie joined West Brom for an undisclosed fee from Lokomotiv Moscow in 2010

Fenerbahce are thought to have made a £10m bid for Milos Krasic of Juventus, a long-term target for Spurs and Chelsea.

The Sun

Fulham boss Martin Jol has reportedly been given permission to begin a move for Trabzonspor forward Burak Yilmaz.

Metro

Aston Villa's Stephen Ireland, who is set to face Manchester United in the Premier League at Old Trafford on Sunday, has revealed he is a fan of the Red Devils, and that Eric Cantona was his boyhood hero.

Birmingham Mail

Newcastle's Danny Simpson, who failed to agree a new contract in January, insists he wants to stay with the Magpies.

Newcastle Chronicle

Bolton boss Owen Coyle believes the club have enough quality in their forward line to escape relegation this term.

Bolton News

Taxpayers could face costs in excess of £1m after Port Vale's creditors revealed their intention to recoup three pence for every £1 they are owed.

Stoke Sentinel

Former Manchester United winger Mickey Thomas insists Sir Alex Ferguson's team will retain their Premier League title this season.

talkSPORT

Former Wolves goalkeeper Matt Murray says the club's board are to blame for their Premier League plight, not current manager Terry Connor.

talkSPORT

The average cost of going to football has risen by 45% over the last six years to £112, according to a new survey.

Daily Mirror

JONATHAN WOODGATE’S Stoke future does not depend on a contract clause, according to manager Tony Pulis.

The defender, 32, needs to play three more games to trigger a new Potters deal.

But Pulis said: “He doesn’t have to play three more matches. I’d like to keep him.”

TOTTENHAM whizkid Oliver Modeste has left hospital after recovering from a serious head injury.

The 17-year-old, who can play in defence or midfield, spent time in intensive care following a fall last month.

A Spurs statement read: “Oliver’s family thank everyone for all the messages of support.”

Championship

NIGEL PEARSON is to boot out another of Sven Goran Eriksson’s flops.

Defender John Pantsil will be allowed to leave Leicester less than 12 months after signing from Fulham.

The Ghana international, 30, was one of 12 summer signings made by axed boss Eriksson — but has not appeared since October.

CRAIG CONWAY will not play for Cardiff again this season.

The winger, 26, tore ankle ligaments in the 1-1 draw with Watford on Monday.

He will be out for three months.

ROBERT SNODGRASS has been offered a new deal which will make him Leeds’ highest-paid player on £15,000 a week.

In return, boss Neil Warnock wants the 24-year-old Scotland winger to skipper United to promotion next season.

Snodgrass is an £8million target for Newcastle, Stoke and Norwich but Warnock said: “I want him to be our captain next year and I’ve asked him to get Leeds in the Premier League.”

Peterborough manager DARREN FERGUSON has slapped a £2m price-tag on Paul Taylor, 24, who refused to sign a new deal at London Road.

Reading, Leicester and Ipswich are in the hunt and Fergie said: “He sees his future in the Prem.”

Millwall want to sign Tottenham striker HARRY KANE, 18, permanently when his loan deal finishes at the end of the season.

Assistant boss Joe Gannet said: “He’s a good all-round player.”

SPL

SINGAPORE tycoon Bill Ng has no plans to withdraw his offer for Rangers — despite proposed changes to SPL rules which would mean tougher sanctions for clubs in administration.

Ng’s Singapore-based consortium are one of three in the hunt to take over the crisis-torn Glasgow giants.

He said: “My bottom line is to ensure Rangers’ continued survival. We stand by what we promised.

“A change of rules does affect the finances of the club but it does not affect our passion.”

Non-league

SCOTT DAVIES wants the Cod Boys to wrap up a tasty Football League treat for their loyal customers.

Fleetwood keeper Davies is convinced the Blue Square Premier leaders can beat Lincoln at Highbury tonight and net the title.

The club, unbeaten in 27 league games, require one more win to make history after being held 1-1 by their nearest rivals Wrexham on Tuesday.

Davies, 25, said: “I don’t think there is a better way to win the league than in front of your home fans and they deserve it.”

Chinese Super League

NICOLAS ANELKA is the new player-manager at Shanghai Shenhua.

The former Chelsea striker, 33, only joined the Chinese club in December and has two goals in four games.

babe of the day

http://www.likemyrack.com/VideoCollecti ... 0photo.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Re: friday's news 13th april includes west ham

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Thank you CH
THE average cost of a match day for football fans has soared to a wallet-busting £113.
That is more than my first season ticket! :shock:
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

My matchday costs:

Match Ticket: £32
Diesel: £35.28
2 Pints: £5
Food: £3

Total Cost: £75.28

If you factor in the cost of a replica shirt (£45?) and SKY sports (£11 per month I think, so £132 per year) and spread that across 23 matches (£177 / 23 = £7.70) the actual cost of my matchday is £82.98. I doubt many supporters travel 240 miles on a match day, and I'm already paying £8 above the cost of a match ticket.

Football Fans' Index can bite me. Sensationalist b*ll*cks.
Last edited by LeonRivers on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Cheers CH :thup:

I have rearly spent £113 on a match day unless i'm going out after or huge piss-up before which isn't often! That can't be true.

About £28 for season ticket per game, £4 oyster travel, £40 max on food,drinks etc.. For me £72..
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

LeonRivers wrote:My matchday costs:

Match Ticket: £32
Diesel: £35.28
2 Pints: £5
Food: £3

Total Cost: £75.28

If you factor in the cost of a replica shirt (£45?) and SKY sports (£11 per month I think, so £132 per year) and spread that across 23 matches (£177 / 23 = £7.70) the actual cost of my matchday is £82.98. I doubt many supporters travel 240 miles on a match day, and I'm already paying £8 above the cost of a match ticket.

I think there's a fatal flaw with your logic......

I mean where can you get 2 pints for a fiver???? :thdn:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

& food for £3! :think:
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Cheers CH.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

LeonRivers wrote:I think, so £132 per year) and spread that across 23 matches (£177 / 23 = £7.70) the actual cost of my matchday is £82.98. I doubt many supporters travel 240 miles on a match day, and I'm already paying £8 above the cost of a match ticket.

Why are you spending £35 on diesel, if your buying 2 pints of beer??
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Cheers CH
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

Sorry lads, that was me whacking them averages up. Spent £300 up at Barnsley. :evil:
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Thanks CH
Looking forward to watching the game tonight. The Ammers are on tomorrow too :thup:
I guess as we gear up for the playoff's they are showing more Championship games.
Have a good day.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

A pint of lager and a pint of Coke in the Central is my matchday tipple. I maybe should have upped it to £6. I'm not sure of the actual cost as I buy in rounds of up to 6 drinks.

The chicken place down the road does chicken burger and chips for £2 if you know how to ask. ;)
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

All depends on travel and what game you can get to, for the Hull game we are traveling on the Friday, staying over
at the Premier Inn, heading back 7pm Saturday evening.

It will set us back near enough £600.00.
I'm sure if you live locally and can get to mid week games against unfashionable teams it's cheap enough.
But it's something that you want to do... so I suppose from that point of view it's worth it.

Mind you when we booked I had hoped we were going to be occupying top spot !!

Thanks CH ... :crest:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH

My matchday price ATM:

Ticket:£16
Travel:£12
Food, drink, programme: £25-30 ish.

so that totals up to about £60, all changes in 2 seasons though when I will be classed as an adult. :thdn:
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Cheers CH, my 1000th post is dedicated to the man who brings me the news roundup each day. Thanks buddy
el pato
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by el pato »

The chicken place down the road does chicken burger and chips for £2 if you know how to ask. ;)[/quote]
Sounds delicious .