5 questions

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Re: 5 questions

Post by upton girlie »

S-n-a-f-u wrote: 1. Are you For or Against the relocation of the stadium?
For.
Mainly for better facilities that seem almost (financially and practically) impossible at the Boleyn.

2. Where do you usually travel from to get to Upton Park?
Outskirts of Bromley, Kent

3. How do you travel to home matches? Train? Car? Bus? On Foot? Underground? Other?
Car. I hate public transport.

4. Is it realistic to think that West Ham United will regularly be one of the top six clubs in England “in the long term”? This is West Ham United’s stated objective.
Anyone can be in the top six with the right backers, finances, manager and players. I'm not sure that WHUFC will ever be in that position in the short term but maybe in my lifetime!

5. What is your reaction to the new owners changing their views about the stadium relocation? (originally they were against the move to the Olympic Site)
I would hope that they have looked at the long term implications, finances and suitability before making any decision whatsoever. I do think that they understand the supporters needs and concerns and thus came to the decision to bid.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

S-n-a-f-u wrote:
1. Are you For or Against the relocation of the stadium?
Against - but I am willing to be persuaded .My objections are based upon both my belief the club should have had a fans ballot , and communicated far more than they have, and secondly the hugely significant increase in viewing distance .

Brentwood, Essex .I live within walking distance of a railway station that has 6 trains per hour to Stratford .

3. How do you travel to home matches? Train? Car? Bus? On Foot? Underground? Other?
Varies depending upon whether we want to go on the lash .Usually car .

4. Is it realistic to think that West Ham United will regularly be one of the top six clubs in England “in the long term”? This is West Ham United’s stated objective.
We are already the number one club in England , however , in terms of reguarly finishing inside the top six in the league the club lacks the financial resources to do so .The proposed move to the OS would not provide a sufficent uplift to deliver the money required to do so .Manchester City in a 47k stadium have average matchday revenues below ours already : in short a clubs ability to drive revenue depends upon their fans willingness to spend - and a stadium that is unsuited for football will not facillitate an increase in revenue .

5. What is your reaction to the new owners changing their views about the stadium relocation? (originally they were against the move to the Olympic Site)
The owners are opportunistic and successful self made millionaires .They have been dancing on a moving carpet their entire lives and this is just one more example of them doing that .

trick88

Post by trick88 »

Whitters wrote:The key word here is 'regularly'. Newcastle were in the Championship a couple of years ago with the same big stadium that they have now.
:thup: Missed the key word, but i obviously meant that we could achieve what Newcastle has since they went up, and from then on with the right, squad manager etc..
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

trick88 wrote: :thup: Missed the key word, but i obviously meant that we could achieve what Newcastle has since they went up, and from then on with the right, squad manager etc..
Yes...wasn't digging you out mate, just pointing out that any team could have a good season or two, but competing with the likes of Man U & C, Arse, Chelsea, the Spuds and Scousers every season is a long shot that requires more than just a nice stadium
jimcollins65

Post by jimcollins65 »

Who cares about our history and heritage at the boleyn? Who cares about distance from the pitch ? Who cares about us renting an athletics stadium? As long as we have hot water and easy access to a hot dog then what else matters????
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

1. Against. We won't own the freehold. We won't earn any further income from cricket, concerts, naming rights etc. We'll simply be a tentant who uses the stadium the most I.e 19-25 games per season. If we do move then I'm going to f*** off my ST as it'll be easier and cheaper to just buy match day tickets. ST holders are treated like mugs, which I'll swallow for the time being due to having an emotional attachment to my seat.

Oh and a dirty great running track.

2. Ingatestone, Essex.

3. Train / tube / car, depending on whether I'm out on the piss

4. Not in my lifetime and frankly I wouldn't want a Chelsea / Man C style takeover

5. Think you may want to check out your facts there. Moving was part of their 10 point pledge along with listening to the fans, which of course they haven't done so far.

I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could spit.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

[quote=]1. Are you For or Against the relocation of the stadium?
Against - only because we won't own the freehold. From what I understand, our actual plans for the stadium would be spot on

Bournemouth

National rail to Waterloo, underground to UP

It is realistic - and it's not neccessarily investment that's needed. Consolidation, not selling what we have. The fan base, history, tradition, PR potential is easily top 6.

As others have stated, your question is incorrect, the owners have been consistent on wanting to move to the OS.[/quote]