XIV: Sam Allardyce [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Do you endorse the board's decision to appoint Sam Allardyce as West Ham United's new manager?

Yes
82%
No
10%
Undecided
8%

Total votes: 898

Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: XIV: Sam Allardyce [POLL]

Post by Gerblatz »

prophet:marginal wrote:10 months ago, I voted 'no' in this poll.

I am now of the view, that, come what may in the remaining weeks of this season, whether we go back up or not, I got it wrong.

Would anyone else now change their vote?
No, I endorsed it, but with some misgivings - things have gone pretty much how I expected they would, but found the style of football and tactics hard to accept at varying times. Still got some concerns there may be a few skeletons in cupboards to emerge too.. :think:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

prophet:marginal wrote:10 months ago, I voted 'no' in this poll.

I am now of the view, that, come what may in the remaining weeks of this season, whether we go back up or not, I got it wrong.

Would anyone else now change their vote?
I voted " yes " & still will remain with that view whether we go up or not..
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I don't think so. Just dug up what I put originally...
I've selected 'no' based on the very narrow answer 'do I endorse it at this exact moment in time?'. And my gut feeling is this is the wrong fit between manager and club - it just feels odd, and I think there were other possibilities that could have worked just as well. However, I'm still looking forward to seeing what he can do.
....and I think it's still the case that, leaving aside his managerial credentials (which I think are very good), we aren't the right fit for each other long-term. The reaction on both sides when we went through that fallow (but unbeaten) sequence illustrated it pretty well. If a big chunk of the support is going to bay for him and he's going to call them deluded in those kind of circumstances, it doesn't bode well for when we go through a genuine bad patch, especially if we reach the prem again. Could be very ugly. As long as we're doing well though, things will be ok. I've been surprised about how much I like him personally though.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Voted no and still wholeheartedly agree with my vote.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Fat Titty Allardyce
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Personally prefer to reserve judgement until the end of the season and whether we are promoted or not. His brief was to achieve promotion and to that aim has been financially well supported by the owners coupled with the usual outstanding and loyal support from the supporters, who despite misgivings amongst some, have continued bring in 30k crowds for home games and the usual mass following away. I voted 'no' to the Allardyce appointment originally and although he will never be a favoured choice personally, I will be delighted to say job well done should promotion be achieved.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

I gave him the benefit of the doubt..my first choice was chris hugton, but thought at the time Allardyce was a more than understandable choice from the Gullivan's. Never ever during our current season did I regret giving him the benefit, came across quite well in his interviews about our club and how he loves being our manager. Wouldn't mind meeting him and talk about the 4-3-3 system and such :)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I think personally that one or two of his interviews have let him down a bit, tbh.

Expectation of an immediate return was perhaps hopefully exaggerated amongst the fans, but on occasion, he should have bitten his tongue, maybe.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Jabsco79 wrote:Personally prefer to reserve judgement until the end of the season and whether we are promoted or not. His brief was to achieve promotion and to that aim has been financially well supported by the owners.
I agree, but unless things go bad in the last three games, we could finish up with the least number of defeats in the division and be one of the highest scorers.

These two things are such a huge improvement on the last few seasons, that if we break it down to how we performed over 46 games, I think it has been a successful transition.

Looking at Norwich's result yesterday makes me wonder if I really want to suffer results like that just to be back with the big boys again. Part of me prefers being a decent team in a competetive league rather than hoping to muster enough points to be safe.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

At the time I was thinking 'Ye f*ck it. I don't mind putting up with it for a couple of years in the hope he'll get us back up and keep us there'

I'm still hoping that will happen. However, if he fails to get us promoted I'm not sure i'd want to go with him again for another promotion push
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Yea Why Not wrote:At the time I was thinking 'Ye f*ck it. I don't mind putting up with it for a couple of years in the hope he'll get us back up and keep us there'

I'm still hoping that will happen. However, if he fails to get us promoted I'm not sure i'd want to go with him again for another promotion push
:thup: I have exactly the same opinion!
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Yea Why Not wrote:However, if he fails to get us promoted I'm not sure i'd want to go with him again for another promotion push
I just can't see him failing twice - part of the reason behind the comment bumping this thread.

I think our team is capable of beating the teams likely to come down. He won't get fooled twice by some of the coaches who came and made it hard at The Boleyn.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

prophet:marginal wrote:
I just can't see him failing twice - part of the reason behind the comment bumping this thread.

I think our team is capable of beating the teams likely to come down. He won't get fooled twice by some of the coaches who came and made it hard at The Boleyn.
That depends entirely on the personnel he brings in.

The same problems are still there regarding our home form but Poyet is clearly a idiot. :lol:
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Matt of iron wrote:
That depends entirely on the personnel he brings in.
:
I'm not sure. All season at home we've lacked that person who can unlock a tight defensive unit, that player who can produce that one spectacular moment to win a football match, that player who will consistently score goals. If we do fail to gain promotion this time around I reckon Vaz Te could well be that man next season. Now he has bedded into the team he looks the real deal at this level
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Yea Why Not wrote:
I'm not sure. All season at home we've lacked that person who can unlock a tight defensive unit, that player who can produce that one spectacular moment to win a football match, that player who will consistently score goals. If we do fail to gain promotion this time around I reckon Vaz Te could well be that man next season. Now he has bedded into the team he looks the real deal at this level
Relying entirely on one person worries me greatly though.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

Matt of iron wrote:
Relying entirely on one person worries me greatly though.
Yea, I agree. But I just think Vaz Te on top of what we've had all season would have been enough by now. I reckon it will depend more on who we lose. If Noble, Tomkins and Green leave in the summer it will not only weaken our team it will royally fu*k off a lot of people, myself included. Unless it is out of their control I'd hope the club will do everything possible to keep hold of those three
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

And any way, Southampton haven't done too bad this season :lol:
Iron Alex
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron Alex »

It aint been pretty but if he gets us promoted then ultimately sam & the squad have succeeded. My hope is that now he has stabalised us we can attract better players & grow as a club.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

I reckon some people may just be getting a sense of feeling of just how his teams will evolve.

As always, be patient.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: As always, be patient.
Never - I'll stick with my knee jerk reactions.