West Ham Utd 6 Brighton & Hove Albion 0 (14/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: West Ham United v Brighton and Hove Albion: Match Thread

Post by richneal »

Tonythehammer wrote:
And why bring on Carew when Cole was still on the pitch? Surely Maynard or Baldock would have been itching to get on there and stretch their defence even more. Its not as if we needed an outlet up front to hold the ball up and give the defence a rest, is it?
I actually thought that Mr Entertainment did the right thing by bringing on Carew. Brighton were kicking, punching and clawing at us for the last half hour. I thought the ref's hands off approach to their antics was a disgrace. So, in view of their attempts to turn the game into a mixed martial arts bout, bringing on a huge striker who can take their knocks was, IMO, the right thing to do. Took a little bit of the heat of Cole, cos they were determined to kick him off the park.

(And for any of you who are wondering, I'll be back to slagging off BFS as soon as I possibly can . . . but kudos to him and the squad for a job well done on Sat. Excellent stuff :thup: )
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

Tonythehammer wrote:And why bring on Carew when Cole was still on the pitch? Surely Maynard or Baldock would have been itching to get on there and stretch their defence even more. Its not as if we needed an outlet up front to hold the ball up and give the defence a rest, is it?
Would have been difficult to bring on Baldock, as he wasn't even on the bench. :wink:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

cornishiron wrote:[

I'm good at multitasking, I can be (very) happy and wonder how people feel about homochanting, but as you are the second person to tell me off for swearing in church... maybe I've got my answer.

It appears that some of the lads who love bantering aren't so interested in bantering about this issue.

I stand corrected and will s the f up.
As I said, if you wonder how people feel about the chanting, then go to one of the many threads thats been started about the issue. Search one out. To debate it on a match thread ain't appropriate in my opinion.

Go to one of them threads and I will quite happily discuss it with you.

In fact, no, scrap that. You lost all credibility when you tried to compare it with the vile racism from the 70's where black players had bananas thrown at them.
dodgy dave
Has liked: 113 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by dodgy dave »

Only 20 minutes till by Brighton supporting boss turns up at work :twisted:

I might not have a job tomorrow!
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

richneal wrote:And why bring on Carew when Cole was still on the pitch? Surely Maynard or Baldock would have been itching to get on there and stretch their defence even more. Its not as if we needed an outlet up front to hold the ball up and give the defence a rest, is it?
Because we were cruising, had the game sewn up and are playing again on Tuesday. Why risk getting Maynard injured at that point. Stick Carew on, Maynards still 100% for Tues - everyone's happy.
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

Up the Junction wrote: "Willtelll" - Terrific performance but did anyone notice it was the first time we lined up 4-4-2?
It wasn't.
Sorry to disagree the boss but when you start with a "front 3" that includes a central midfielder then you are playing 4-4-2. Or to more accurately describe my intent - two strikers, four midfielders and four defenders thus 4-4-2.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

Nowt wrong with a bit of banter. Playing on Brighton's reputation for having a higher than average number of homosexuals shouldn't be something to get up in arms about, so long as it remains friendly and lighthearted and doesn't descend into hate filled abuse.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Will - I disagree that it was 4-4-2, also we have played 4-4-2 on more than one occassion this season.
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

Not read through all the posts but what a day, bout time too. Nolan has seemed a different player the last couple of week would you agree? and why?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Willtelll wrote:Or to more accurately describe my intent - two strikers, four midfielders and four defenders thus 4-4-2.
You said it was the first time we'd lined up 442. I repeat ... it wasn't (the first time).
Willtelll

Post by Willtelll »

EvilC wrote:Will - I disagree that it was 4-4-2, also we have played 4-4-2 on more than one occassion this season.
I should say that I only saw the game on my computer which is limiting but we played 2 strikers - Cole & Vaz Te; 4 midfielders - Nolan, O'Neil, Noble & Lansbury; 4 defenders - Demel, Tomkins, Reid & Taylor.

UTJ disagrees with me too it seems, so I'd be interested to know what formation those 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers played then? :oops:
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

Found a link to the goals :

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Willtelll wrote: UTJ disagrees with me too it seems, so I'd be interested to know what formation those 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers played then? :oops:
You are sort of right. But 442 invokes images of the classic British way of playing that formation which we certainly did not do.

It was so fluid that I think the correct response is I don't know how it looked on the whiteboard and nor does it matter if we can keep playing like that!
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

munichhammer wrote:Found a link to the goals :

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First time i've seen Vaz Te's scissor kick - wow :shock:
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Willtelll wrote:I should say that I only saw the game on my computer which is limiting but we played 2 strikers - Cole & Vaz Te; 4 midfielders - Nolan, O'Neil, Noble & Lansbury; 4 defenders - Demel, Tomkins, Reid & Taylor.

UTJ disagrees with me too it seems, so I'd be interested to know what formation those 4 defenders, 4 midfielders and 2 strikers played then? :oops:
I don't think that Vaz Te played as an orthodox forward.

We played 4-4-2 against Blackpool at home and in a good few other games (I recall one home game when we abandoned it at half time - Forest maybe? Boro? I'm not 100% sure.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

What a brilliant day, head still hurts now! Took 8 Bournemouth fans along to this along with the regulars I travel up with, and we had an absolutely brilliant day. Supporters club before and after the match, best day out at West Ham I have had for years.

For those asking the formation questions - I would say we lined up like this:-

-------------------------Green------------------------
--------------Tomkins-------Reid-----------------
Demel---------------------------------------Taylor
----------------Noble-----O'Neil------------------
Lansbury-------------------------------------------
----------------------Nolan---------------Vaz Te
-------------------------Cole------------------------

Demel and Lansbury had some great interchanges on the right, and Taylor pretty much held the whole of the left flank on his own, which is what I have been saying he can do for weeks. McCartney is solid, but Taylor is far better at left back as he offers a lot going forward. He knows how to defend too. Vaz Te had a free role, which is what he needs to thrive. Nolan played close to Cole and Vaz Te. If I was going to put a formation "stamp" on it. It would be 4-3-2-1.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Sounds strange but I really don't know what the formation was against Brighton: we had four at the back but with the exception of about 15 minutes or so in the middle of the first half, it looked like we were playing five up front.

Strange as well, it was only last week I joked about how we looked good in the second half against Brum playing seven up front
monkeyhanger
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by monkeyhanger »

Coker wrote:Dont like "BANTER" then dont go to a ****ing football match, does anyone actually think every fan from brighton is a poof?, no thats why its Banter
A guy in front of me in the BML was singing "You've got AIDS" at one of their players when he took a corner in front of us. Does that count as banter ?

I thought that was well out of order. Was contemplating complaining to a steward but have never done that at football before. Maybe I should have. Any thoughts ?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

richneal wrote:Sounds strange but I really don't know what the formation was against Brighton
I'm never sure what formation Barca are playing when I watch them. We must be on the right track..... :P
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: But I ****ing hate the word 'banter'. Proper muggy word!
As is muggy :wink: Me too thou since it spread into chav's every day vocabulary!

As for the game itself.. Poyet's tactic for his distribution from the back is what f***ed it for them, only 4 times their keeper actually kicked it out and remember they applying the same tactics at the away game leading to Nolan's goal.. Vaz Te (imo) was running both wings, switched constantly.. and sort of a diamond in the middle i suppose. Great win and just because it felt too weird at full time i boo'd anyway! Look forward to bristol tomorrow!
COYI