saturday's news 21st april includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

saturday's news 21st april includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

wish she would do a pose in a west ham shirt :raver:

Karren Brady’s football diary

THE boardroom is buzzing in celebration of the club’s biggest home win since 1998.

If we’d divided some of the six we hit against Brighton today among a few of our draws, we’d be showered and dressed for the Prem by now.

Reading’s run for the line has been as unexpected as 33-1 Neptune Collonges’ for the Grand National. I guess you’d have got those odds on the Royals back in August.

Well done Reading, we hope to join you.

SUN, APRIL 15

ROBERTO DI MATTEO is rescuing Chelsea from the equivalent of Siberia with his temporary leadership.

Czar Abramovich will never tire of looking — or paying — so I suspect Di Matteo’s hopes of a permanent appointment are slim.

Still, the owner must be scratching his head in that Stan Laurel way of his now that Chelsea are in the FA Cup final after imposing their will on Spurs and in the Champions League semi-final.

MON, APRIL 16

WIGAN are proving to be the awkward squad of the Premier League salvation race.

They are a club built on the values of owner Dave Whelan. Some would say they are old-fashioned. I say they are right.

He puts his faith in his manager and remains loyal to the extent that, when Wigan were bottom of the league, he emphasised that he’d stick with manager Roberto Martinez regardless.

When he took Steve Bruce from Birmingham to manage the Latics, I found him straight- forward and honest, not necessarily the attribute of every chairman.

With tonight’s victory at Arsenal to follow the one at Man United, Wigan are close to safety. Whelan’s judgment has been vindicated again.

TUE, APRIL 17

SOMEONE had to come out in defence of Ashley Young.

PFA chairman Clarke Carlisle did his best for the Man U winger. Even so, he appears to be a reluctant witness.

“I wouldn’t say he is prone to falling over,” he said, adding that he hadn’t seen the incident that cost Villa a penalty.

Young flew like a human cannonball. Or rather a human puffball, blown over by the wind. Diving is football’s greatest lie.

WEDS, APRIL 18

IT is the day of truth for us at West Ham and after tonight’s draw with Bristol City, many people feel that if promotion is to come, it will almost certainly be via the play-offs.

But if Middlesbrough beat Southampton on Saturday and we beat Leicester on Monday, we can still take it to the last game for the final automatic spot.

Sam Allardyce is confident we can still make the Premier League. Personally I don’t care how but I’ll be needing treatment for chewed fingernails.

THURS, APRIL 19

DINNER tonight with three football chairman, two have teams in the Premier League top five.

At the bar, a young man recognises me from TV and asks if I have a business card with my number on it.

I politely tell him I don’t, to which he replies, “What a shame. My girlfriend’s a make-up artist — she really thinks she can help you”.

My chairman friend laughed so much I nearly called an ambulance — for the slap I would give him!

FRI, APRIL 20

THERE is a call from Hollywood about the possibility of a film based on my new book Strong Woman.

So I’m planning the cast. As you do. I see Catherine Zeta-Jones as me (I can dream, can’t I?) and Antonio Banderas as my hubby Paul.

Robert Redford could play David Sullivan, with George Clooney as Lord Sugar and Danny DeVito as Spurs chairman Daniel Levy. Ha!

My gran would see it differently. When I introduced Paul, she said: “Doesn’t he look like Dale Winton?”

vital west ham

Gills let Lee return to West Ham

Oliver Lee has returned to West Ham at the end of his loan spell with Gillingham.

Having spent two-months with The Gills, making eight appearances for the club, the midfielder has been allowed to return to his parent club.

Andy Hessenthaler, as he told the official website, thanks the 20-year-old for his efforts during his time at Priestfield but with players back from injury and Lee not quite ever able to 'get going' he thinks it was right for him to go back to Upton Park: 'with the likes of Curtis Weston, Charlie Lee, Danny Jackman and Jack Payne coming back, we decided to let Olly go back to West Ham.

'He was in the side and then came out of it, it was probably a bit frustrating for him. But he was a pleasure to work with and we wish him well.

'It didn't work out for him, he'll tell you that himself. He just didn't get going, in the Cheltenham game (in mid-March) he did ever so well but in general he perhaps didn't get going in his spell with us.'

Lee only featured once, as a substitute, in his second month with The Gills so I think the decision to send him back to West Ham, who are expected to release him in the summer, was the right call.

[Forever West Ham article originally posted here was published on KUMB in midweek - see http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3028" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

Tottenham are trying to persuade Croatian midfield playmaker Luka Modric to sign a new contract - and keep him out of the clutches of Premier League rivals Chelsea and Manchester City.

the Sun
Spurs midfielder Luka Modric

Modric will be offered a new deal at Spurs, according to reports

German side Hamburg have targeted Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt, 31, as a summer signing after it emerged the Dutch forward can leave for £1m at the end of the season.

Metro

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has given striker Robin van Persie a 72-hour deadline to resolve his future and sign a new deal with the Gunners.

Daily Mirror

Serie A league leaders Juventus have set their sights on capturing Van Persie to spearhead their attack next season. But the Bianconeri are also keeping tabs on Chelsea's Fernando Torres and Athletic Bilbao's Iker Muniain.

Goal.com

Fulham boss Martin Jol fears he could lose 22-goal forward Clint Dempsey in the summer if the American rejects a new deal at Craven Cottage.

the Sun

Arsenal are on the trail of one of the hottest prospects in Italian football who has been called the 'new Gareth Bale'. Moroccan full-back Acharaf Laazar, 20, plays for Serie B side Verase and is apparently on Arsene Wenger's radar.

talkSPORT

Leicester City keeper Kasper Schmeichel, 25, is a summer target for Tottenham, who want a younger goalkeeper to provide competition for 40-year-old veteran Brad Friedel.

the Sun

Tottenham Hotspur winger Gareth Bale will choose to stay at the club despite interest from Barcelona, says Spurs manager Harry Redknapp.

The Daily Telegraph

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that the club have provisionally reached agreement on a new contract with midfielder Paul Pogba, but the Scot is unsure whether the 19-year-old will put pen to paper.

Inside Futbol

Schalke striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has put off talks over a new deal until after Euro 2012, alerting Arsenal to the Dutch striker's possible availability.

Caught offside

The Football Association faces a complex legal and financial battle to extract Harry Redknapp from his Tottenham Hotspur contract if they want him to be the next England manager.

The Times (Subscription required)

Blackburn Rovers boss Steve Kean has rejected talk of a player revolt at Ewood Park, following internet rumours he clashed with goalkeeper Paul Robinson and midfielder Steven Nzonzi at the training ground.

Daily Mirror

Manchester City Roberto Mancini has claimed the "rules are not the same for every team" after recent referring decisions for title rivals Manchester United.

Daily Express

Former Arsenal boss George Graham has questioned the club's medical staff after the Gunners' England midfielder Jack Wilshere was ruled out of Euro 2012.

talkSPORT

Liverpool midfielder Jay Spearing admits he was too scared to speak to Reds skipper Steven Gerrard when he first joined he first-team squad.

Daily Mirror

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson expects a lukewarm reception when he returns to Liverpool on Sunday for the first time since he was sacked by the Reds in January 2011.

Express and Star

Blackburn defender Gael Givet, who manager Steve Kean claimed was not in the right frame of mind to play in the club's last match, is expected to return to the starting line-up against Norwich City following talks.

Full story: Lancashire Telegraph

Newcastle defender Mike Williamson has revealed the reason behind the Premier League surprise package's tasty form on the pitch - the players have been hosting Come Dine With Me-style evenings for each other.

babe of the day

http://pbbb.playboygirls.com/hyb0030/pics/10303JR_9.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Up the Junction on Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: KUMB article re-posted.
Bobby Orangeboom

Re: saturday's news 21st april includes west ham

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Danny De Vito as Daniel Levy.. :lol:

I love her.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Cheers CH.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I would have Linda Hunt from NCIS LA playing Sullivan.

Can't do the image thing :oops:

Cheers CH
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

WIGAN ... are a club built on the values of owner Dave Whelan. Some would say they are old-fashioned. I say they are right.

He puts his faith in his manager and remains loyal to the extent that, when Wigan were bottom of the league, he emphasised that he’d stick with manager Roberto Martinez regardless.
:lol:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH :thup:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Do share the joke with us all PM
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

The "values" of Dave Whelan?????

Profiting from child slave labour
Wigan RL wage cap breaking
Illegal share transactrions
Illegal price fixing
Defender of racist behaviour
Twice signed a player with 13 criminal convictions - including custodial sentences
Sacked the same player in a burst of righteous indignation at the player's 14th conviction, saving a shedload of wages in the process
Played a major part in destroying Orrell RFC
Caught booking a weekly room at Charnock Richard Services Travelodge for "meetings" with a female employee
Quote: "I'd never entertain a foreign manager for Wigan - we have Steve Bruce and he's too good for the England job"

Some "values"

Those are my principles. If you don't like them, well I have others - Groucho Marx
eastsidejon

Post by eastsidejon »

Gnome wrote:Those are my principles. If you don't like them, well I have others - Groucho Marx
:thup:
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

cockney hammer wrote:
THURS, APRIL 19

DINNER tonight with three football chairman, two have teams in the Premier League top five.

At the bar, a young man recognises me from TV and asks if I have a business card with my number on it.

I politely tell him I don’t, to which he replies, “What a shame. My girlfriend’s a make-up artist — she really thinks she can help you”.
:lol: brilliant
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Gnome wrote: Profiting from child slave labour
You say that like it's a bad thing Gnome ?

To be fair the others you mention are well dodgy .
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Gnome wrote:The "values" of Dave Whelan?????
Bang on :)

Cheers CH
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:Do share the joke with us all PM
I laughed bitterly, prompted in recollection of the treatment of Grant and Zola.

Seemed just a touch ironic for her to be praising someone who makes a public display of standing shoulder to shoulder with his selected coach.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Cheers CH, self deprecation from Mrs P, about time. :)
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

Bella Emberg as Karren Brady! :thup:
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

[quote="Bishops Finger"]Bella Emberg as Karren Brady! quote]

Hattie jacques.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: BOTD Awesome, Dave Whelan proper ****, I think Donald Rumsfeld should play him