monday's news 23rd april includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

monday's news 23rd april includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

SAM ALLARDYCE insists it will be an outstanding season for West Ham — even if their dream of automatic promotion ends

The Hammers know anything less than victory at the King Power Stadium will rule them out of a top-two finish and send Southampton up to the Premier League.

And finishing in the play-offs would see them face the likes of in-form Blackpool to get into the top flight.

Big Sam said: “The only game we can think about is Leicester and try to win it to keep our glimmer of hope alive. Then we can build up to finishing on a high against Hull.

“No matter where we finish it will be an outstanding season from the players and we will take our destiny at the final whistle against Hull.

“We’ll see where we go there from there. It will either be one hell of a celebration or we’ll start getting focused on the play-offs.”

the star

JAMES TOMKINS UP FOR FINAL SHOWDOWN

JAMES TOMKINS has urged West Ham to take advantage of Southampton’s promotion wobble.

The Hammers would have been resigned to a play-off place if Saints had beaten Middlesbrough on Saturday, but instead they lost 2-1.

That means Sam Allardyce’s men can take the battle for automatic promotion to the Premier League to the final weekend of the season with a win at Leicester tonight.

Defender Tomkins, who knows anything but victory will send Southampton up, said: “We are still confident. Our away record is really good and our home form – as we showed the other day in beating Brighton 6-0 – is definitely better as well.

“Of course we can go into the play-offs and win them.

“We will concentrate on the rest of the season first, though, because we could still go up automatically.”

Allardyce would have rested key players had Southampton won, but is now expected to name a full-strength side.

the mail

Forget the play-offs, we want automatic promotion, says Tomkins

The shredded nerves of the Championship play-offs are their likely destination, but West Ham’s players go into Monday night’s game at Leicester adamant that automatic promotion can still be achieved.

Sam Allardyce’s team have to win at the King Power Stadium and at home to Hull on Saturday while hoping that Southampton do not beat relegated Coventry.

Defender James Tomkins insists the play-offs can be avoided, saying: ‘It’s still mathematically possible that we could go up automatically. We go into games confident. We’re disappointed to be in this position but we’re still positive. Of course, we can go into the play-offs and win them.’

Two wins for West Ham and a draw for Southampton would bring goal difference into play come Saturday. Currently both sides have conceded the same number but the Saints have scored four more.

the telegraph

James Tomkins tells West Ham team-mates: we can still win automatic promotion

The third-placed Hammers have to take advantage of Southampton’s defeat at Middlesbrough on Saturday to ensure the race goes to the final weekend of the season.

If Sam Allardyce’s men fail to win at the King Power Stadium then Saints’ place in the Premier League will be confirmed, leaving the east London club to negotiate the play-offs.

Even if West Ham win tonight they will need to beat Hull at Upton Park next Saturday and hope relegated Coventry do them a favour against Southampton.

Defender Tomkins, 23, said: “We’re still confident. We’re disappointed to be in this position but we’re still positive. Of course we can go into the

play-offs and win them. It’s not the end of the world.

“We will concentrate on the rest of the season first, though, because it’s still mathematically possible that we could go up automatically. We just have to focus on that.”

Allardyce is waiting on the fitness of striker Carlton Cole plus defenders George McCartney and Joey O’Brien before finalising his line-up.

On-loan Swansea midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, 22, has been priced at £10m by parent club Hoffenheim, who will try to ward off plenty of potential summer suitors, including interested parties Liverpool, Everton and Manchester United.

Daily Mirror

Former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is eyeing Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, 25, and 26-year-old Manchester City forward Edin Dzeko as he prepares for a summer spending spree at new club Paris Saint-Germain.

Metro

Sunderland manager Martin O'Neill wants to bring Wigan winger Victor Moses, 21, and Wolves' 25-year-old striker Steven Fletcher to the Stadium of Light. However, the Northern Irish coach has been told he must sell before he can buy, after previous Black Cats managers Roy Keane and Steve Bruce splashed too much cash.

Daily Express

Bolton want Fifa to process the signing of free agent Gregg Wylde, 21, as soon as possible. The Scottish winger took voluntary redundancy from Rangers in March after the Scottish giants went into administration.

Daily Mirror

Bankrolled Russian top flight club Anzhi Makhachkala are in the hunt for another Premier League signing. Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles, 29, could be heading to Dagestan to join former Blackburn defender Christopher Samba and international stars Samuel Eto'o and Roberto Carlos.

InsideFutbol

Veteran Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy is poised to sign a new contract to keep him playing at Craven Cottage, despite rumours of an imminent move away. The pivotal 35-year-old said: "There's no great urgency with me, because I'm happy and they are happy with me. I'd be surprised if it didn't get sorted."

: the Sun

Jose Mourinho is to be offered a cool £9m a year, after tax, to take up the reins once more at Chelsea.

Chelsea supremo Roman Abramovich is prepared to break the bank to lure former manager Jose Mourinho away from Real Madrid and back to Stamford Bridge. Wages of more than £9m a year after tax and a Bernabeu compensation package of £25m are not out of the question.

Daily Mail

Norwich frontman Grant Holt, 31, wants to cap off a productive first season in the Premier League with a late call-up to the England squad for Euro 2012. Highlighting his strengths, Holt explained: "If you put the ball in the area I will do my best to finish."

the Sun

Fresh from drawing 4-4 in a thrilling comeback at Manchester United, Everton boss David Moyes may be on the lookout for a new project come the summer. That is the fear of Everton legend and current Toffees' Under-18s manager, Alan Stubbs. "I think David has come to a crossroads in his career," said Stubbs.

Daily Star

Former Manchester United star Mickey Thomas says that when midfielder Paul Scholes, 37, hangs up his boots for a second time it will cost Sir Alex Ferguson £40m to replace him. "He's the player of the season if Man United win the title," insisted the one-time Reds winger.

talkSPORT

Wigan goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi wants to be one of the three players aged over 23 permitted for the Omani football team at the London 2012 Olympics. "Crowds in Oman are crazy about football and to be in the Olympics would be a dream for the country, the players and for everyone," said the 30-year-old.

Independent

Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola says Tuesday's Champions League semi-final second leg against Chelsea will make or break the Catalans' campaign. "What happens against Chelsea will mark the rest of our season," the Spaniard said.

talkSPORT

"I once dragged a player into my office and told him if he dived again, I'd sell him," reveals Blackpool boss Ian Holloway, in light of recent controversies regarding simulation. The colourful coach continues: "There isn't a manager in the game who encourages his players to cheat."

babe of the day

http://pbsw.playboygirls.com/pic0038/pics/10358KM_8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Re: monday's news 23rd april includes west ham

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Cheers CH

Good to hear Tomkins talking up our chances, I just hope we do go all out for the win tonight, backing up the statements some of the players have made this week...

COYI :crest:
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Thanks CH. Talking up our chances hasn't been a problem for our players this season. Now might be a good time to start backing those fine words with results. Talk is cheap James, it's time to deliver.

Ian Holloway says "there isn't a manager in the game that encourages his players to cheat". Maybe so Ian but I'll bet there are plenty that give little more than lip-service to discouraging it, if that much.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks CH :thup:
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:

I see in todays metro there was a whole page advertising tickets for our game vs Hull on Saturday
Last edited by west ham15 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon hammer
Has liked: 961 likes
Total likes: 738 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H :thup:
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

You've talked the talk Tomka ~ Now walk the walk
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
trick88

Post by trick88 »

west ham15 wrote: I see in todays metro there was a whole page advertising tickets for our game vs Hull on Saturday
There's one every week in the metro when we're at home.. the advertising as cheap as it seems has somehow worked this year!

Cheers as always CH! :thup:
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

cockney hammer wrote: Big Sam said: “The only game we can think about is Leicester and try to win it to keep our glimmer of hope alive. Then we can build up to finishing on a high against Hull.

No matter where we finish it will be an outstanding season from the players and we will take our destiny at the final whistle against Hull.
Does Allardyce generally believe the ***** that he writes/ speaks? I have never came across a manager who spouts some much hot air....(other than Redknapp).
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Cheers, CH.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

It hasnt been an outstanding season at all.

Thanks CH
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 854 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

I probably wouldn't go as far as saying we have had an outstsanding season, but let's face it, win tonight and we take the fight all the way to the last game of the season when although I would not expect a slip up from the Saints, you just never know. So compared to the dross of the last few seasons, it has been a very good season and if just a couple of those home draws had been converted to wins, it would still be in our own hands. Alas, it is not but first things first, let's get the right result tonight to at least take it the last game.
AlfieG
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

23rd of April.......

Another St Georges day slips quietly by................ :oops:

Lets hope the Hammers make it one to remember.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Cheers CH, as always.

I probably wouldn't go as far as saying we have had an outstsanding season, but let's face it, win tonight and we take the fight all the way to the last game of the season when although I would not expect a slip up from the Saints, you just never know. So compared to the dross of the last few seasons, it has been a very good season and if just a couple of those home draws had been converted to wins, it would still be in our own hands. Alas, it is not but first things first, let's get the right result tonight to at least take it the last game.
Without question, its been better seeing us at least win this season as compared to the last few. That said, with the money invested, the size of our sqaud and the experience of the players we brought in, we should have romped this league. Those bloody draws....!!!!!