Captain Kevin Nolan

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Captain Kevin Nolan

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:28 pm

If we take it to the final day and if we experience disappointment then..... I'm glad we've got this dirty, nagging sod on our side.

Strikes me as the kind most likely to stop others dwelling on it and see the play offs as a second chance - not a failure.
bubbles1966

Location: ..sit in the shade all day long, listen to the music of a rockin' song, take life easy

Postby chunkay on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:56 am

Noble's 24, probably on about £15,000-20,000 a week and his contract is up in December so he can probably push up his wages then. He plays vice-captain for a team he adores and he probably will be captain one day.

He probably wouldn't go to a team just promoted (or a team who stays up but struggles like QPR), because they'll still be playing at the same level of ability as us, he wouldn't go to Spurs or Liverpool or any clubs like that, because he has integrity, and I doubt Fergie, Mancini, RDM or Wenger would want him. So basically, Noble's choices are Stoke, Swansea or staying here. I think he'll stay.

Tomkins is 21 and just signed a four year contract with the club, despite probably knowing that promotion was not necessarily nailed-on. Once again, I think he's probably not yet good enough for the top 6 and I don't think he'd go to Spurs either (take that 'Arry!) and once again, if his choices were Stoke, QPR, Swansea or stay put, I reckon he'd stay.

Green is a tougher prospect, but I can't think of any clubs who would want Green. Spurs might want him to replace Cudicini, save him up to use once Friedel retires, but I can't see Green leaving a nailed-on first team spot for a reserve spot. Al-Habsi, Given, Begovic and maybe even Kenny are as good as he is and I don't think De Gea or Hart are going to get the chop for Green... I think clubs have more pressing issues than replacing their keeper, thus Green may have no choice but to stay.

Cole, I don't care. I'd like to see us get Jordan Rhodes who's as tall and adept as Cole at collecting balls in the air, but has more speed. I think Rhodes with Baldock/Vaz Te/Maynard playing off of him would be an excellent system. If nobody wants Cole we can use him in rotation with Rhodes.

Finally, Nolan. He has a lot of money and seems to score for fun in this league. I think he knows his importance in the team (as a captain). That combined with the fact that he can put them away with no troubles, He's also just moved his family down here. He'll stay.

In all honesty, except for players leaving on Bosmans (Diop, Carew, etc) I think our squad is pretty much all staying.

Furthermore. Allardyce will stay. When we went down we lost, basically, an entire starting eleven except for a keeper

Gabbidon, Specter, Upson, Jacobson and Da Costa at the back, Hitzlsperger, Kovac, Dyer, Boa Morte and Parker in the middle, as well as Stanislaus and Ba and Hines upfront.

That's 14 players who saw some first team action the year before... Allardyce brought in 12 new players in the Summer, of which 8 have been successful (Faye, Nolan, O'Brien, McCartney, Baldock, Lansbury, Demel, Taylor) and should probably be kept (barring Lansbury who was on a loan and might not be available like McCartney).

If we take out the loans (Montenegro and Bentley) only Carew and Diop were proper mistakes. Out of 12 players signed, only two flopped and they were only on one-year contracts anyway. I can't help but find that really impressive. Add to that Henderson, Collins, Maynard, Vaz Te and Morrison and the Away wins record and Allardyce basically becomes the best manager we've had since Pardew if not longer.

I think next year, with a few more astute signings (keeping McCartney and Collins, bringing in Rhodes and getting a new Anchor-man to replace Diop, if Allardyce insists on the 4-5-1/4-3-3) we should have a brilliant chance of promotion. The team will be gelled, the opposition will be less bus-parky and we'll have something of a nailed on starting XI which will be a great help.
chunkay

Postby Paddy O'Hammer on Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:27 pm

I think we can let him stay now. :crest:
Paddy O'Hammer

Postby ironstu on Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:00 pm

He's won me round, I hope he stays :crest:

I might hate him tomorrow though, I have him as first goalscorer tonight!
ironstu

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 am

The Sun :

KEVIN NOLAN admits life at West Ham can mean trouble ‘n strife.

Upton Park has not always been a harmonious place this season with the debate over the style of Sam Allardyce’s football causing as much frustration as dropped points.

West Ham know they must beat Hull today to stand any chance of pipping Southampton to automatic promotion — and do it in front of fans who have voiced their discontent.

Captain Nolan, a Scouser, said: “There are sections of the crowd who complain but it’s why they come to the ground.

“These fellas get s*** off the wife all week and they come to football to let it out.

“They are full-blooded people who want the best for West Ham. If you think about it, a lot of them have been wounded by things like relegation in the last couple of years.

“They have gone through a lot. So to have 30,000 at home games is amazing. I’d rather have 30,000 fans moaning at me than no one there at all.

“It shows the loyalty and love for the club. And we are trying our best to make sure they get back to where they belong.

“Although I am a Northerner I respect what West Ham is all about and I am learning more as a I go along. I haven’t cracked the accent yet but I know what a ‘sweep’ haircut is. I’ve had pie and mash and it’s quite nice — up there with Scouse.

“The fans don’t hold back in what they want to tell you and I am from that background myself. I’m from Toxteth and playng in the East End is a home from home.
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby Matt of iron on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:17 am

I like Nolan. :thup:

He is a proper bloke and a cracking footballer and captain.
Matt of iron

Postby gavind on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:02 am

Today, and maybe for the next few weeks this guy can make the difference :crest:
gavind

Postby Kent hammer1972 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:10 am

Nolan is the best captain we Have had for a long time, a blood and guts player with the heart of a lion!
Kent hammer1972

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:25 am

Kent hammer1972 wrote:Nolan is the best captain we Have had for a long time, a blood and guts player with the heart of a lion!

Upson was up there though too in fairness..
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby Rocketron on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Nolan won me round yesterday afternoon, when he was subbed.
Rather than chuck the armband he went over and put it on Noble's arm. :thup:
Rocketron

Postby claretnblueglasses on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:25 pm

He'll lead us to victory in the playoffs. This is a perfect test for him as a captain. :crest:
claretnblueglasses

Postby evomutant on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Kent hammer1972 wrote:Nolan is the best captain we Have had for a long time, a blood and guts player with the heart of a lion!

Moving away from meaningless cliche's, what does he actually do?
evomutant

Postby EastEndIRON on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Moving away from meaningless cliche's, what does he actually do?

Scores goals, 12 of them (our second highest goalscorer)

I suppose thats not good enough though is it?
Last edited by EastEndIRON on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastEndIRON

Postby evomutant on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:37 pm

EastEndIRON wrote:
Scores goals, 13 of them (our second highest goalscorer)

I suppose thats not good enough though is it?

It's perfectly good enough.

I just hate reading guff about "passion" and "guts".
evomutant

Postby Yea Why Not on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm

^

Here we go again
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Postby EastEndIRON on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:41 pm

He strikes me as a good leader, somebody who can unite the dressing room.

He's a mans man!

:crest:
EastEndIRON

Postby AlfieG on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Guff = A reason for certain internet knockers to slag a good 100% pro footballer for....... :eh:
AlfieG

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Alfie, I like that expression "Guff" ~ ain't heard that since me dear old dad passed away.....

:thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby durham city hammer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Appears to have finally settled, new club, new surroundings etc etc it took him a fair old time to settle in at the barcodes so i always hoped he would come good here at some point, he's not just bringing goals to the table now he's influencing games with his all round play and showing that he is a very good player, really hope he stays if the worst happens and we don't go up, absolutely huge loss if he were to leave!
durham city hammer

Postby Yea Why Not on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:17 pm

durham city hammer wrote:Appears to have finally settled, new club, new surroundings etc etc

I think it's more a case of people finally accepting him for what he is and for me the emergence of Vaz Te and the return of O'Neil have been big factors in this. We now have a very well balanced midfield with Nolan (goals, captain), Noble (passing), O'Neil (workrate) and Vaz Te (flair/goals). Since day one this season the workrate and creativity has been missing from our midfield and because Nolan was our star midfielder some fans (myself included) were looking for these qualities in him and found themselves disappointed that he didn't possess them. But lets face it, if Nolan was creative and did have an excellent work rate on top of what he's already got he simply wouldn't be playing for us
Yea Why Not

Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion