friday's news 27th april includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

friday's news 27th april includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Soul man Sam fired Hammers

The Hammers boss goes into tomorrow’s promotion crunch against Hull at Upton Park knowing no matter what his team do, their fate will be decided 140 miles away when second-placed Southampton face relegated Coventry.

A victory for Saints will condemn West Ham to the play-offs. But Allardyce reckons massive strides have been taken to repair the damage the drop brought to the club.

Allardyce, who took over from the axed Avram Grant last summer, said: “Considering the state of the club when I walked through the door, this is a happy place now. It has a soul again.

“The doom and gloom was something you could smell, taste and feel as a manager. When you walk into a situation like that, you have to rip the backside out of it and start again. I did this as quickly as I could.”

West Ham’s finances are still in a precarious position following the fall- out from the banking collapse that wreaked havoc at Upton Park.

But promotion to the Premier League is worth £90m, although Allardyce says the cash quickly gets eaten up in the top-flight.

He said: “Promotion is not going to make you much money because you need to spend it on huge transfer fees and wages for players to compete.”

the star

SAM ALLARDYCE SEEKING A MIRACLE

SAM ALLARDYCE is praying West Ham can follow in Chelsea’s footsteps and produce a miracle to secure automatic promotion tomorrow.

The Blues stunned the football world when they somehow beat Barcelona with 10 men to reach the Champions League Final in Munich.

West Ham also need the football gods to be on their side tomorrow.

They have to beat Hull and then hope relegated Coventry can produce one of the biggest upsets of the season by winning at Southampton.

Coventry can come away with a draw, but West Ham will still need to win by THREE goals if they are to stand any chance of finishing second behind champions Reading.

After seeing Chelsea defy all the odds to beat Barcelona, Allardyce knows anything can happen in football. He
said: “Chelsea were 2-0 down with 10 men against Barcelona and they did it.

“It was even the same with Bayern Munich, who were two down against Real Madrid.

“Anything can happen to anyone under the final pressures of a season.

“We are looking to get promoted automatically.

“If there are some twists and turns, we have to make sure that we are in a position to take full advantage.

“The key is good fortune. If we win our game and Coventry get a bit of good fortune or play with no fear now they are relegated, and Southampton have some fear, then it’s one of those games.”

Allardyce knows it would be an even greater miracle bouncing straight back into the top flight following the turmoil that surrounded relegation when he first accepted the job.

Big Sam added: “It was not very nice. The doom and gloom that was around the place was something you could smell, taste, feel as a manager.

“You have to rip the backside out of it and start again. That is what I did as quick as I could.

“You have to make some decisions and employ some quick man- management – not only in getting the players to gel together, but to help as best you can with the financial devastation that relegation brings.”

here is the city

Allardyce or Di Canio - Last chance for the big man at West Ham?

Who will be the West Ham boss next season? Will their former maestro be brought in if Allardyce fails?

If West Ham United are unsuccessful in their promotion bid, we simply can't see Sam Allardyce being given another season at Upton Park.

There is every chance they won't either. While the Hammers have succeeded in taking the race for an automatic promotion spot to the final day, they were supposed to have it wrapped up by now.

Instead the one remaining place is in Southampton's hands, and only an unlikely Saints loss will let West Ham back in.

Then there are the play-offs to negotiate, where anything can happen, and sides with more momentum than the Hammers will be equally determined to seize their golden chance.

So it is evenly poised, but Allardyce was brought in as a safe pair of hands, one who could get the job done, and thus far it is looking like he may fall short of the target.

It would be incredibly disappointing for all connected with the club, not least their co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan, who made sure Allardyce was well backed, and stressed the financial importance of bouncing straight back up to the Premier League.

With even more question marks over West Ham's future location- is the Olympic Stadium a go-er at this point? And less substantial parachute payments incoming after their relegation last season, there are big challenges ahead for the Hammers if promotion is not achieved.

Many supporters had made their mind up over Allardyce before he was appointed, with complaints over his 'direct' style of play being voiced to the co-owners, who defended the appointment, arguing Big Sam was a pragmatic choice to get them promoted.

It is a desperate shame for Allardyce then, that his West Ham side seem to have saved their worst performances for at home in front of their own fans. They went on a streak where they could not stop drawing games they should have won, and topped it off by losing 4-2 at home to Reading.

In was this form which saw them let slip control of the automatic promotion places, when it was looking like for so long that they and Southampton had it tied up.

It may seem too early for West Ham fans to contemplate now, with all still to play for, but if they are unsuccessful should a new manager be brought in?

Allardyce has been critical of the support, and vice-versa, and a season of failure will only add fuel to the fire. The players need to take their share of the blame of course, and West Ham are not renowned for a revolving door policy of managers, although that history has changed somewhat in recent years, with Roeder, Curbishley, Pardew, Zola and Grant in charge during the past few years.

Will it be time for a new man, or will that be even more of a gamble? The temptation of former hitman Paolo di Canio, earning rave reviews for his progress with Swindon, may be tough to resist. Would it be too early for him to move up? We'll never know unless he is given a chance.

The appointment will get West Ham fans excited again, if the club fails and needs a lift, the Italian can be the one to provide it. They'll hope they won't need to of course, and that Southampton slip up this weekend, but it remains a long shot.

Allardyce may just be approaching his last chance saloon, ready to go all-in on the game of luck and chance that is the play-offs.

Owen Hargreaves will not be offered a new deal by Manchester City at the end of the season, a decision that casts doubt over the midfielder's long-term future in the game in light of the injuries that have disrupted his career.

the Guardian

Arsenal are reported to be in "advanced negotiations" with French club Rennes over the signature of midfielder Yann M'Vila. It is thought the 21-year-old French international, who has been capped 18 times by his country, could set the Gunners back around £22m.

Metro

Feyenoord look set to land Liverpool's Dirk Kuyt after former team-mate Salomon Kalou confirmed the striker wants to head home. Chelsea forward Kalou, who played with Kuyt at the Rotterdam club, told Dutch TV: "Dirk told me he wants to return now."

Daily Mail

AC Milan are hoping to lure Kalou to the San Siro this summer. The Ivorian has spent most of his six seasons in west London on the fringes but has become an integral part of the side since Roberto di Matteo took temporary charge.

talkSPORT

Tottenham have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Udinese's 25-year-old Colombian defender Pablo Armero, according to reports coming out of Italy.

Footy Latest

Everton boss David Moyes is ready to snap up Wigan's Senegalese midfielder Mohamed Diame on a free transfer in the summer, but he could face competition from Newcastle. The 24-year-old's contract expires at the end of the season.

Daily Mirror

Sunderland are hoping they can entice Blackburn winger Junior Hoilett to stay in the Premier League if Rovers are relegated next month. But the Black Cats face stiff competition from Champions League finalists Bayern Munich and French club Marseille to land the 21-year-old forward.

Daily Mail

Borussia Dortmund have given Manchester United and Chelsea target Shinji Kagawa, 23, until the end of the month to commit his future to the club. The Japan international midfielder is out of contract in the summer of 2013.

talkSPORT

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will open his chequebook in a bid to persuade Pep Guardiola to postpone a sabbatical and manage at Stamford Bridge. Guardiola, 41, is poised to confirm on Friday that he will be leaving Spanish giants Barcelona.

Daily Mirror

Chelsea players want Abramovich to give Roberto di Matteo the manager's job permanently after the Italian led the team to the finals of the FA Cup and the Champions League during his brief tenure as caretaker boss.

Evening Standard
Pep Guardiola's Barcelona side was knocked out of the Champions League by Chelsea on Tuesday

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola could be poised to leave the Nou Camp

Full-back Ian Harte will sign a new contract with Championship winners Reading. The former Leeds man was named in the PFA Championship team of the year and has played a crucial role in the title triumph, chipping in with four goals in 33 games.
Daily Mail

Kenny Dalglish says he will have no problem welcoming Alberto Aquilani back to Anfield if AC Milan decide against signing him permanently. The Italian midfielder is coming to the end of a season-long loan at the San Siro.

talkSPORT

Former England boss Fabio Capello hopes to land a job in the Premier League and insists he has no intention of retiring. With possible vacancies at Chelsea and Tottenham at the end of the season, the 65-year-old Italian told reporters he is in love with London.

Daily Mail

Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba has been invited to the FA Cup final as a VIP guest following his remarkable recovery from an on-pitch cardiac arrest. The 24-year-old collapsed during the Trotters' FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham in March and was "dead for 78 minutes" but is now out of hospital.

Daily Mirror

Chelsea defender Gary Cahill has revealed how he and John Terry watched their side's Champions League semi-final second-leg success at Barcelona on a screen in the players' tunnel after being injured and red-carded respectively during the game - and then erupted with joy, sending boxes and kit flying at the final whistle.

Daily Express

Liverpool have agreed a deal to film exclusive behind-the-scenes footage of their dressing room for a documentary. Filming for the six-part programme, which is to be produced by American broadcaster Fox Soccer, will begin next month. It will capture preparations for, and the playing of, the FA Cup final before the TV crews move on to cover Liverpool's pre-season tour of the United States and Canada and the start of the 2012-13 campaign.

VETERAN Graham Alexander could get a farewell game for Preston tomorrow.

The 40-year-old is hanging up his boots.

But North End boss Graham Westley wants to play him against Charlton and said: “It would be ideal.”

READING expect billionaire Anton Zingarevich to wrap up his £25million takeover this week following checks by the Premier League.

Royals chairman John Madejski said: “I’m sure it’s going to happen.”

babe of the day

http://static.nuts.co.uk/images/gallery ... .uk_02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Re: friday's news 27th april includes west ham

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Thanks CH. :thup:

NIce to read BFS blowing his own trumpet (again!).
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH :thup:

I would certainly welcome the return of PDC at some point
gavind
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gavind »

I would love PDC here also at some point, now however is far too early .

Sorry to the haters, but sam needs time.
Supersoulfighter
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Supersoulfighter »

gavind wrote:I would love PDC here also at some point, now however is far too early .

Agreed. He's had to manage almost an entirely new team all season, with little time to gel. Deserves another year at least.
pennywisepeter

Post by pennywisepeter »

Big Sam wrote: When you walk into a situation like that, you have to rip the backside out of it
:shock:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH!
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Cheers CH
Charle Hammer

Post by Charle Hammer »

Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

One day I hope for Di Canio but for now Big Sam is the man.
ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

I'm surprised Bilic hasn't been mentioned in connection with the West Ham job (unless he has and I missed it) He's done a good job with Croatia and his contracts up in the summer. Slung his hook first chance he got as a player though.
Last edited by ManInTheIronsMask. on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Guardiola, 41, is poised to confirm on Friday that he will be leaving Spanish giants Barcelona.
Looks like Big Sam won't be here next season after all

Cheers CH.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Sweet jaysus! The bird of the day looks like it should be the young one in the front row with the pink straps *wuaaahhhh thingy*

In case your thinking that I'm referring to BFS, pink straps is sitting above the word "The".

MattHammer83

Post by MattHammer83 »

gavind wrote:I would love PDC here also at some point, now however is far too early .

Couldn't agree more, Sam has done a good job this year and he's right we needed changes and I honestly think he chenged things for the better, not to mention very quickly.

MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

God there's some nonsense in the media. Allardyce at the last chance saloon! DiCanio ready to take over! Prem League worth 90 million.

Next we'll be hearing Rupert Murdoch's been hauled up in front of a Parliamentary committee for unethical journalistic practices.
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

The Hammers go into tomorrow’s promotion crunch against Hull at Upton Park knowing no matter what they do, their fate will be decided 140 miles away {quote}

f**k me i'm gettin de ja vue, i'm sure i've been here before.

ta ch, have a good weekend mate :thup:
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1151 likes
Total likes: 899 likes

Post by Metal Hammer »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Sweet jaysus! The bird of the day looks like it should be the young one in the front row with the pink straps *wuaaahhhh thingy*

In case your thinking that I'm referring to BFS, pink straps is sitting above the word "The".
Funnily enough she caught my eye too :thup:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Owen Hargreaves will not be offered a new deal by Manchester City at the end of the season, a decision that casts doubt over the midfielder's long-term future in the game in light of the injuries that have disrupted his career.
:think:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

What is "here is the city"?
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »