West Ham Utd 2 Hull City 1 (28/04/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Hull City: match thread

Post by Irrons »

Hammer Laffers wrote:although I though Maynard and Baldock were cack.
They weren't cack, they just got absolutely no service except long hopeful punts up field. Small nippy strikers need supply from midfield or balls in from the wing - we simply do not have the pace or guile in midfield to be able to create the space necessary for these players to exploit at the moment. Hull pressed high second half rather than parking the bus and as usual we were too sluggish in midfield. Nolan should have been replaced by Collison imo. Lansbury/Noble/Taylor/O'Neil = Slow. Same old story. With our set up and players, Maynard or Baldock have to be paired with a tall strong striker, like Cole or Vaz Te because it just doesn't work otherwise
Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3648 likes
Total likes: 2334 likes

Post by Morocco Mole »

bristolhammerfc wrote:
Apologies for that MM, it started to get a bit heated on here after the game so I merged to make it easier to moderate. Boss, up to you if you want to unmerge.
No problem Briss, as I told the Guvnor, it wasn't exactly Hall of Fame material any way. :D
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

smuts wrote: Worth a look at one of their CBs? Chester I think his name was.
If he played for us, he'd be known as Chester Draws.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

Irrons wrote:
They weren't cack, they just got absolutely no service except long hopeful punts up field. Small nippy strikers need supply from midfield or balls in from the wing - we simply do not have the pace or guile in midfield to be able to create the space necessary for these players to exploit at the moment. Hull pressed high second half rather than parking the bus and as usual we were too sluggish in midfield. Nolan should have been replaced by Collison imo. Lansbury/Noble/Taylor/O'Neil = Slow. Same old story. With our set up and players, Maynard or Baldock have to be paired with a tall strong striker, like Cole or Vaz Te because it just doesn't work otherwise
Yeah, sorry I'll change it.

They were cack playing together.
Broomfield Hammer
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Broomfield Hammer »

@Guy_Demel on Twitter wrote:Sorry about the goal yesterday, don't no what I was doing. Have to focus on Cardiff now #westham
:D
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Broomfield Hammer wrote:@Guy_Demel on Twitter"]Sorry about the goal yesterday, don't no what I was doing. Have to focus on Cardiff now #westham :D
Seems Guy has two Twitter accounts.

This one is much better to follow https://twitter.com/#!/GDemel20 the guy is brilliant, responds to everything!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

We can't afford to play like this in the next three games in regards to, poor finishing at times and a crap goal conceded, need to cut that out if we are to go up.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

fmgod wrote:We can't afford to play like this in the next three games in regards to, poor finishing at times and a crap goal conceded, need to cut that out if we are to go up.
I've really enjoyed this seasin, but how many games has this been said afterwards. Wins, draws & defeats.

Too many goals conceded have not really been earned by the opposition in my opinion.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

fmgod wrote:We can't afford to play like this in the next three games in regards to, poor finishing at times and a crap goal conceded, need to cut that out if we are to go up.
It was a dead rubber, the game was played like a testimonial second half, Cole went off and the midfield stopped running their backsides off.What did you expect?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hull didn't have a sniff until we decided the game and the race for automatic promotion was over.

I wouldn't read much at all into that last 30 minutes.

Far better to concentrate on the first 60 where a team nearly as good as Cardiff (Hull beat them 3-0 a few weeks back) were pummelled into a relentless rearguard action of the type we usually have to perform at Anfield, the Emirates or Old Trafford - and in spite of that we were two up and able to take off our three main goalscorers and give the reserves a game.

They possibly have a defender or two that we could do with looking at.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

A good highlight on the tube, if someone has missed the game.

Allardyce couldn't stop praising and contradicting himslef in the interview after the game.
:|
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

I am sure it has been mentioned but even though the second half was dead because of results elsewhere but the substitutions of Cole and Nolan, though required, really highlighted how important they are to the side playing the way we currently do.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

mushy wrote:It was a dead rubber, the game was played like a testimonial second half, Cole went off and the midfield stopped running their backsides off.What did you expect?
Not disputing the fact it was worthless but some of the half chances we had and others, we need to do better regardless if it a dead rubber or not, if the players get a chance they are going to want to score no matter if it is a league, friendly or anything,
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

Puff Daddy wrote: That's precisely what I thought. We were sterotyped, static and predictable throughout in just about everything that we did. It was crying out for some movement, from our backs, through our midfield, right through to the frontmen. It needs CC to move around in the box and shake off his marker and not just stand there waiting for the ball to find him. He needs to be smarter in and around the box, spin off his marker, hold off and then dart into a goal scoring position ahead of a defender. It needs our midfielders to get more movement and not be standing still when they receive the ball and then move. They need to receive it on the run, balls not played directly at the player all the time, but in front of them and into space. All of this will increase the tempo and make us far less predictable.
I must have imagined the second goal.

Amazing that you spend virtually your whole post criticising CC but until he went off we actually played pretty well against a Hull team that were in decent form and are very good defensively. Carlton was playing very well and there's no reason to suppose that if he'd stayed on we wouldn't have gone on to win by 4, BS however did the right thing and decided to wrap him in cotton wool for the play offs.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

@Guy_Demel on Twitter wrote:Sorry about the goal yesterday, don't no what I was doing. Have to focus on Cardiff now #westham
Fair play. It's not every day you get an apology from a player after a mistake :thup:
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Nick Barmby sounds like a right cock in his post-match comments. Is it just me or are half the managers in this division chippy little gits? I don't remember having any managers I particularly disliked back in the PL....apart from possibly Big Sam himself HILARIOUSLY enough
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Aceface wrote:Nick Barmby sounds like a right cock in his post-match comments. Is it just me or are half the managers in this division chippy little gits? I don't remember having any managers I particularly disliked back in the PL....apart from possibly Big Sam himself HILARIOUSLY enough
I make Barmby 100% right on the 'support act' question. Very disrespectful on our part IMO. If, say, Nigel Adkins has said that about Coventry last week we would all be foaming at the mouth and calling him a smug, arrogant, scouse w&nker, and quite rightly so. :wink:
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hull have suspended Nicky Barmby apparently....
Mark32

Post by Mark32 »

Seems like Nicky Barmby may have been suspended by Hull:
Waiting for confirmation from Hull City that they have suspended manager Nick Barmby over comments to media. stay tuned #hcafc
https://twitter.com/#!/bbcburnsy/status ... 4058047488

Edit: Damn beaten to it.
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

So what did he say to get suspended?