tuesday's news 1st may includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

tuesday's news 1st may includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

first of all congratulations to mark noble for winning hammer of the year nice to see one of our own win it :crest:

the evening standard

Mark Noble urges West Ham to forget their final-day agony

Mark Noble today claimed it is vital West Ham do not let the disappointment of failing to secure one of the automatic promotion places affect their preparation for the play-offs.

West Ham’s 2-1 win over Hull on the final day of the Championship season wasn’t enough to overhaul Southampton, who were promoted along with champions Reading following their 4-0 victory over Coventry, and Sam Allardyce’s team now travel to Cardiff for Thursday’s play-off semi-final first leg.

Noble is the only member of West Ham’s squad who was involved when they last won promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs, in 2005.

“Last time we did it, I was a young kid and I remember Alan Pardew telling me to get ready to go on with about 25 minutes left,” said Noble.

“It was unbelievable to get on and see the final out, I’ve had that feeling only a couple of times before in my career and hopefully I can experience it again.

“We set out for automatic promotion at the start of the season and after the game against Hull I said to the lads that we had better get our heads around the situation quickly.

“When you just sneak in finishing sixth, as we did last time, everyone is buzzing but you could tell on Saturday we were disappointed having ended up third and just missing out.

“We need to banish that disappointment quickly because Cardiff are a top team with a top manager.”

Allardyce has injury concerns over captain Kevin Nolan (dead leg) and Gary O’Neil (ankle injury), following the win over Hull and admitted he would ideally have wanted longer for his players to recover.

“One of the problems is the short recovery time between now and Thursday after 46 arduous matches,“ he said. “We could have done with a week to rest the injuries and bruises but as always tight schedules have to be met.”

O’Neil, who missed the first half of the season with an ankle injury, is hoping he will be fit in time.

“I knew it wasn’t too serious,” said the midfielder. “But it was a kick on the same ankle and I wasn’t too pleased with the tackle, especially as it was late in the final game of the season. It was unnecessary and it’s a bit sore at the moment.”

footy latest,com

More fingers pointed at Trevor Brooking over insulting Redknapp snub

Former Southampton and England legend Matt Le Tissier has joined the growing chorus questioning the role of Sir Trevor Brooking in the insulting snub of Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp for the England manager job.

Le Tiss was quite scathing about the decision to approach Roy Hodgson claiming that England have gone for the cheap and safe option, however it is his comments on the role of Brooking that catches the eye.

“There are a whole bunch of issues – if you look at the committee that is selecting the next England manager. One of them, I think I’m right, is (Director of Football Development) Trevor Brooking, said Le Tissier

“I think Trevor and Harry had a falling-out many years ago and I’m not sure if that’s played a part in one of the reasons why they’ve decided against going for Harry.

Le Tissier is not the only person questioning the role of Brooking, anyone looking through today’s press cannot fail to see the unease that this shocking decision has caused.

Brooking needs to come clean, he will not of course, and even if he did he would no doubt deny the allegations being levelled against him, but too many people are asking what role he played in the decision to go against the players, fans and media alike.

transfer tavern

Three Reasons Why™ West Ham Don’t Deserve Promotion

Unfortunately for Hammers fans Carlton Cole’s brace against Hull on Saturday and the resultant victory was not enough to gain the second automatic promotion place after Southampton’s emphatic victory against Coventry.

The West Ham crowd were singing about bubbles and promotion, but to be fair automatic promotion was always out of United’s hands and was Southampton’s to lose.

The Irons did what they had to do but so did the Saints meaning the Hammers have to go through the pressure of the play-offs to attain promotion.

Below I look at three reasons why I believe the Hammers don’t deserve to be promoted to the Premier League:

THE HOME RECORD

The main stumbling block preventing the Hammers from achieveing automatic promotion this season must be their poor form at Upton Park. When you look at the Championship table in detail you can see that Sam Allardyce’s men have drawn far too many games at home when compared to the top two teams.

If a club is not performing well at home surely some of the blame can be assigned to the support. If the home crowd cannot push and encourage the team to a victory then the club has not got the foundations for success. Should West Ham make it through the play-offs and achieve promotion their home form has to become more consistent as Premier League survival hinges on home form and the ability to make your home stadium a ‘fortress’.

THE BIG SAM HATE

The fact that Allardyce has apparently decided to set the team to play in a way that is not what Hammers fans consider as attractive football is a real weak point. For a club to be successful I believe that manager, players, chairman, board and fans all need to be pulling in the same direction and singing from the same hymne sheet. The fact that a sizable proportion of fans are unhappy with the way the team is playing may link back to their inconsistency at home and thus undermines the teams performance.

MONEY

With all the big names at West Ham and the appointment of Allardyce as manager it seems to the casual outsider that the Hammers seem to be buying their way back into the Premiership. Now I am a realist and do understand that money can give you the ability to gain advantages, and this is fair enough. But I do not think it should be the only factor in determining who is successful and who is not.

Money for me is less important than the passion of the fans and the commitment of the players. A club that views money as the most important factor in achieving success is doomed to fail.

To say that West Ham deserve to be in the Premiership is short-sighted. It is true that they have the infrastructure, manager and some players which are of Premiership quality. However I believe you get what you deserve. Reading and Southampton deserve to be in the Premiership as they have achieved promotion already. Whoever comes through the play-offs to achieve promotion will deserve to be in the Premiership. Will this be West Ham? Well we’ll just have to wait and see…

Manchester City midfielder Vincent Kompany called on his side to finish the job in the race for the Premier League title after scoring the winner in a famous 1-0 victory over Manchester United.

Daily Mail

Noisy neighbours? You could say that. The roar that erupted from the Etihad Stadium at 9.56pm on Monday night will live long in the memory of all who heard it, whether it represented, to them, the rapturous celebration or, to Manchester United's players and supporters, the howling of some dreadful monster coming to life.

the Times (subscription required)

Birmingham boss Chris Hughton is West Brom's No 1 target to replace England-bound Roy Hodgson.
Chris Hughton

Hughton is being lined up as a replacement for Hodgson

the Sun

The Football Association have offered Hodgson a salary of £2m, £4m less than former manager Fabio Capello was earning before he resigned.

Daily Star

Former Switzerland international and Blackburn defender Stephane Henchoz has tipped Hodgson to be a success as England manager - although he admits he does have concerns about his ability to work with the very top players.

talkSPORT

Manchester City have moved ahead of Manchester United in the race to sign winger Eden Hazard, who is valued at £30m by his club Lille.

Daily Telegraph

Arsene Wenger has set his sights on making Ajax midfielder Jan Vertonghen Arsenal's next signing after unveiling Cologne striker Lukas Podolski.
Daily Mirror

Hazard has long been a target for the Premier League's top clubs

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho wants to beat Arsenal and Liverpool to the signature of Anderlecht's defensive midfielder Lucas Biglia this summer.

talkSPORT

Liverpool have joined Arsenal and Paris Saint-Germain in the race for Montpellier winger Younes Belhanda, 22.

Metro

United Arab Emirates club Al Ain are confident of signing Sunderland striker Asamoah Gyan on a permanent basis in June.

the Sun

Everton boss David Moyes says South African midfielder Steven Pienaar wants to stay at Goodison Park.

Liverpool Echo

Wolves are lining up Blackpool boss Ian Holloway to replace Terry Connor as their new manager.
Steven Pienaar

Pienaar is in his second spell at Goodison Park

Daily Mirror

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew shrugged off his side's defensive woes against Wigan - and jetted straight to Holland on a Euro scouting mission.

Newcastle Chronicle

Sunderland centre-half Michael Turner is confident Martin O'Neill's summer spending spree will rejuvenate the feelgood factor on Wearside after a tepid conclusion to the campaign.

Sunderland Echo

Blackburn Rovers director Vineeth Rao has denied reports that the Venky's consortium was looking to sell the club.

ESPN

Leeds United have unveiled their new home strip for next season with a rousing '8 Mile-inspired' video starring their manager Neil Warnock.

babe of the day

http://www.likemyrack.com/VideoCollecti ... %20pic.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: tuesday's news 1st may includes west ham

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Cheers CH :thup:
Muddy
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Muddy »

Cheers CH.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH much appreciated :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 871 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
OFT
Has liked: 3186 likes
Total likes: 1829 likes

Post by OFT »

So its ok to try and 'buy' the EPL but not to try to secure promotion?

More braindead opinion from some clown.

Oops, forgot my manners
cheers C H
:)
Last edited by OFT on Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 593 likes

Post by vietnammer »

It's lambast WHU and anyone associated with them day :raver:

Morning CH and thanks.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

The amount of media outlets today that are out there questioning Sir Trevs role in all this, they are basically questioning his integrity, very poor form from all concerned!!!!

Cheers for updates CH :thup:
simon hammer
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Post by simon hammer »

Cheers C.H and a big well done to Mark Noble. :thup:
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Cheers CH.

Clown indeed. Yes our home form hasn't been great but our away record is second to none and we have lost less games than Reading and Southampton but that of course doesn't deserve comment. As for our football, it seems to me that it's getting better. we have played some beautiful stuff on the ground lately.

As for finances we are stoney broke hasn't he heard?. If we want to gamble on spending on some quality players to get us back up that's hardly like having some rich sugar daddy like Reading are getting is it?
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Thanks again CH & well said claret parrot. :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Clacton-ammer wrote:The amount of media outlets today that are out there questioning Sir Trevs role in all this, they are basically questioning his integrity, very poor form from all concerned!!!!

Cheers for updates CH :thup:

They must have been reading KUMB.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Cheers as always CH, hugely appreciated. :clap:

No surprise to see the media throwing a wobbly over Hodgson>Redknapp. It just goes to show yet again how narrow-minded, cliched and parochial our excuse for a footballing press is, based on nothing more than their own personal (and totally unprofessional) worship of Twitchy is.
Both the journos and Twitchy are self-serving slags who revel in superficial bluster ahead of substance - and how dare the papers claim to speak for the nation 'who want Redknapp overwhelmingly'. Living here in Dorset, 3 miles away from Redknapp himself in fact, there are fans of all clubs down here, and I've met very few who were ever in support of Twitchy getting the post. God bless Sir Trevor Brooking for being the last pillar of integrity at that shambles of an FA.
ham34mer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by ham34mer »

claret parrot wrote:Cheers CH.

Clown indeed. Yes our home form hasn't been great but our away record is second to none and we have lost less games than Reading and Southampton but that of course doesn't deserve comment. As for our football, it seems to me that it's getting better. we have played some beautiful stuff on the ground lately.

As for finances we are stoney broke hasn't he heard?. If we want to gamble on spending on some quality players to get us back up that's hardly like having some rich sugar daddy like Reading are getting is it?
What he said!!

Thanks CH, always read your news post 1st thing every day. Your hard work is very much appreciated :thup:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers CH.

There's some real - with hindsight - crap being reported about us this am!

greta news about Nobes though :thup:
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

What a joke of an article.... He got it backwards.....
Most of us didn't want SA to begin with because of his lack of desire to play attacking football and his lack of tactical nous.
Then we start playing defensive football at home to sides that we had in the bag and guess what...despite dominating the play many times we were not attacking = not scoring. So the home crowd get on them.... no surprise there. Any fans would do the same. As far as the money goes....the owners are simply investing in their team.
What a crock. Where do they get these journalists....rubbish :thdn:
Thanks CH.
Side of Ham

Post by Side of Ham »

So it's ok for Liverpool to spend, spend, spend, in the hope of recapturing some of their former glory (history) as they're are well....... 'Liverpool' one of the greats.... they are English football royalty aren't they? But it's not ok for the likes of Chelsea and Man City (relative footballing peasants) to get lucky with investment and spend in the hope of achieving some 'history'. Damn it the scousers can even make up a derogatory song about the lack of a club's history and all the rest of us can join in with them and the green eyed monster. I would like to be in the position to not care about the money with regards to watching my club but sky put paid to that and in effect our traditions, and Liverpool and the like are the biggest hypocritical club of all, which is so commonly shown by their wonderful support, whom look upon clubs like us with such contempt, should we have the audacity to be dare i say it 'ambitious' (see the Lucas Neil comments when he signed for us instead of them).

These c*nts who write stuff about our club should go for the bigger fish, but haven't got the balls to!!!!!!! :evil:
Last edited by Side of Ham on Tue May 01, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 695 likes
Total likes: 426 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

WTF does LeTissier know about anything to do with the England national team. He should stick his massive nose somewhere else. Cock.

Cheers cH
Ludos Glovebag

Post by Ludos Glovebag »

I love how the written press have the gall to call out somebodies moral integrity. . .. . . .. . People in glass houses and all that! The press have a lot to answer for in reasons why Britain has a very gloomy outlook on everything these days from Football to getting everyone to **** themselves about running out of fuel.

Goons.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

Don't cha just hate Liverpool ....

Thanks CH, top work :crest: