POSF2: West Ham Utd 3 Cardiff City 0 (07/05/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

KFC Kirky

Re: West Ham Utd v Cardiff City: (play off 2nd leg) match thread

Post by KFC Kirky »

What fascinates me about this game and many of the last few games how much better we've played without an obvious defensive midfielder. Earlier in the season (and the root of most of our problems) we seemed to feel the need to have this, so much so that BFS played Tompkins out of position when Diop was unavailable. Now we ask all the midfielders to press as a team and we look so much better for doing this. For me O'Neil has been a revelation in the past few games.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Wow! What a performance! Bossed the game from start to finish. Couple of great goals in there too. Very, very pleased this morning. Lets hope we can reproduce that again in the final.

COYI! :crest:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Ecstatic with the result yesterday, really well played, played some brilliant football and got 3 goals, two of which were absolutely superbly taken (Vaz Te and Maynard). Brilliant atmosphere in BML as well, Que sera sera, Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we're going to Wembley. :crest:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

BalaamBoy wrote:Did anyone count how many passes we strung together before pushing it forward for Maynard to tonk it in? It seemed like 30-40 to me.
It was definitely 15 plus, maybe 20 plus but the never show the whole build up in any of the replay's unfortunately.

That was my favourite goal of the season until the Final, that and the Maynard goal at Barnsley. :thup:
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Having slept on it, the play off matches against Cardiff must have been two of the best matches I have ever seen us play, certainly in recent years.

The passing was superb and was great to see the neat passing in the build up to the 2nd and 3rd goals. They hassled Cardiff and didn't give them any time on the ball. Can't think of a bad performance by any of the team - Winnie and Tomkins are rocks, Demel had a blinder, O'Neil and Taylor provided great sevice, Nolan and Noble were their usual excellent serves, whilst Cole, Collison and VT created numerous problems for the defence. As for Green, he didn't have much to do but did what was needed.

Apart from the passing on the floor, the best bit was seeing them play as a team, not just the 11 on the pitch but the whole squad ....oh, yes, as for the support, simply great from start to the end. Thanks to everyone involved!!!!!
shammy

Post by shammy »

Most dominant 180 minutes I have ever seen West Ham play in over 30 years.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Anyone else see John Terry at the game yesterday- apparently in a box? :think:
Wickfordhammer

Post by Wickfordhammer »

It was Anton Ferdinand sitting in a box, hence the anti Chelsea and John Terry songs!
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

I loved the way we bossed the game yesterday. Cardiff had no idea what to do. Our passing was excellent and the determination to actually go out there and win the game made me proud. So now Sam takes us off to Wembley. Well done the players and Sam for one of the best performances in years at The Boleyn for me.
If we do the same at Wembley and we will be up!!

:)
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Anyone else see John Terry at the game yesterday- apparently in a box? :think:
If he was there, it is probably to do with him and his family being West Ham Fans. Wasn't Joey Barton there too? I'm presuming that's because him and Nolan are mates, if he was.
Ticket 2 Ryde

Post by Ticket 2 Ryde »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:Anyone else see John Terry at the game yesterday- apparently in a box?
It was Anton right behind us in a box ....

He was having a right laugh at our John Terry is a c*nt song lol :raver:
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

Still on a high, just can't get over it. East stand upper - you rocked yesterday, best for years. The way the team are playing!!!! Nolan giving the players some in the warm up, what a captain, those two superb goals from Vaz and Maynard (so happy for Maynard scoring a beauty like that after all the five minute substitutions and the high balls flying over his head - no more, we play on the floor!), and to top it all I am goining to Wembley with my Dad :raver:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

sjb958 wrote:Even Mike Dean had a good game!
We would say that. I doubt the Cardiff lot would agree :lol:
Devils Advocate
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Devils Advocate »

How come so many sheep got tickets for the game? Haven't seen them all season, then they turn up for the big game! Bloody part-timers!

:lol:
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

Irrons wrote:Have to say I think Guy Demel had another excellent performance and has been good for us since he started getting a run of games - is a great outlet down the wing, puts in good crosses and is much more solid defensively that Faubert imo. Bar the mistake against Hull he has done the business for us
His pass through to Vaz Te for the second goal was superb as was Lansbury's for Maynard to get the third. :thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

It's not just the size of the win that is impressive, it is the way we utterly dominated that tie both home and away from the start. They didn't have a chance to settle on the ball, our work rate has been phenomenal over the two matches. We've dominated possession, and I don't recall Greeno having to make any saves of note. We've taken our chances when they've come to us and then frustrated them.

I can't remember a West Ham team so completely and utterly dominating another team. Cardiff were never even remotely close to being in that tie.

:crest:
WCW66
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by WCW66 »

Re. the Cardiff penalty appeal. The ref didn't have a clear view of it as Noble was between him and Reid. If he had seen it, who knows!
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

I have not seen us play as well as we have, not only yesterday, but the past few games in such a long time. I hope this form carries on into the final. I am still singing WEMB-ER-LEY whilst at work this morning and I really don't think it'll end until the 19th/20th.

Everyone played well today, even Green who's handling and positioning for the plenty of crosses that came in were easily taken, causing no issues at all.

I ****ing love this West Ham, well done Sam.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

shammy wrote:Most dominant 180 minutes I have ever seen West Ham play in over 30 years.
The last few weeks have been like being back in 1985-86.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

sendô wrote: I can't remember a West Ham team so completely and utterly dominating another team. Cardiff were never even remotely close to being in that tie.

:crest:
Oh the joy for it to happen again on the 19th,