Do West Ham attract Asian fans?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Do West Ham attract Asian fans?

Postby raneman on Sat May 26, 2012 11:40 am

This has turned into a really refreshing thread and good to read, apart from all this 'face' nonsense,

Born in Harold Wood, lived in Brentwood my whole life apart from a 3 year stint in Detroit. Of Dominican and Greek Cypriot descent and no other team has ever crossed my mind for as long as I had a conscious thought. My wife is Polish and its fair to say she is steeped in West Ham now and lives every moment like me. Even her dad, a Wisla Krakow fan, was wearing a West Ham shirt in Poland last Saturday. I spread the love as far and wide as possible!
raneman

Postby btajim - mcfc on Sat May 26, 2012 2:46 pm

Next door are 3 British born Lads with Pakistani Parents. They're Man U****d, Chelsea and Liverpool respectively with Dad preferring Cricket! If Cricket was on locally then I guarentee it'd be packed to the rafters with Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi people. Different priorities and preferences, really.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby scousehammerette on Sat May 26, 2012 11:06 pm

I'm amazed that anyone's still having this debate, full of stupid generalisations.I was a little Scouse girl of Asian descent at WHU matches in the 80s and had no problems Have we really gone that far backwards?
scousehammerette

Postby kam se18 on Sun May 27, 2012 12:04 am

Sweeney Bod wrote:Just watched the highlights of Saturday, AGAIN, and you can clearly see, when the camera pans to the crowd, a young Asian boy in sikh headwear looking as tense as the rest of ud

That was my friends son, who was there with his other son and myself. All British Sikhs, proud to be West Ham. And long term season tickets holders.
kam se18

Postby Tesh Di Canio on Sun May 27, 2012 4:38 pm

I'm of Asian descent and have a big family and I'm the only West Ham fan (along with my old man) - the rest are a mix of Spurs (I assume for Lineker, Gazza & 91 Cup success), Arsenal, Liverpool & Man Utd. But then, as far as I know, the only person who ever regularly goes to games is me.

But if I think back - then the true reason is that I am the only person who got taken to matches by their old man - coz thats where you develop the true bug of football and I don't think alot of Asain folks would have taken their kids along to games due to work etc. Therefore, as a kid your only knowledge is who you see on the box and thus would have chosen bigger teams.
Tesh Di Canio

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sun May 27, 2012 5:00 pm

raneman wrote:This has turned into a really refreshing thread and good to read, apart from all this 'face' nonsense,

Sorry i don't understand, what do you mean ?
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby DaveyWalnuts on Sun May 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Sorry i don't understand, what do you mean?

I think they're referring to the tripe that bspur1 is spewing. Headbanger
DaveyWalnuts

Postby Croydon on Sun May 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Portugese/Indian.

Whole family are West Ham, never had problems at the ground.
Croydon

Postby the pink palermo on Sun May 27, 2012 5:28 pm

I think somehwere between Doc's post and Bubbles lies the answer .

Doc made the point that at the lower priced matches there appears to be more Asian fans ,whilst Bubbles made the point it depended upon whether they were first or second generation immigrants .

I see quite a few sat around me in the Rio upper when it's a cup game at a lower price - but they are mainly really young - 12-16 sort of age group .They are also more prevelant at any reserve or youth team matches that are played at the Boleyn , where again entry for £2 is possible .I don't see many Asians of my age group ( sort of David Gold age) though .Their children yes , but not the parents .

In summary I don't believe ethnicity per se is the issue, more the economic restrictions some local people have - and that applies to all ethnicities .

It is nice to see the club growing it's core local support again though .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sun May 27, 2012 5:38 pm

DaveyWalnuts wrote:Sorry i don't understand, what do you mean?

I think they're referring to the tripe that bspur1 is spewing. Headbanger

Tripe ??

You mean this ?? " Asians are all about Face "

Without of course generalising Billions of people, are you aware at all of any Asian Cultures and the reasons why he said what he did ?
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sun May 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Let's just get something straight about parts of Asia before we saying that when people tell the truth, it's " tripe "..

===

http://www.ywamthai.org/office/culture

Face

The concept of "Face" is most important in Thai culture. Keeping one's "Face" is equivalent to keeping one's self-respect and dignity intact. Thais will go great lengths to ensure that, as much as possible, neither you nor they will lose "Face". In fact, almost anywhere you go in Asia, you will find this concept important. This means that Thais will rarely confront even when you have offended them. Therefore, confrontation must be done with great care to avoid shaming a Thai friend. It is best to ask a "farang" who has lived in Thailand for several years for advice if you feel confrontation is necessary.

===

Sorry, as you were.. :thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby Croydon on Sun May 27, 2012 5:52 pm

I think a distinction needs to be made between Asians (still do not know what type of Asian we are referring to) who were born into a Western culture, rather than a more traditional one.

I think there may be a case that a more "traditional" Asian would favour the more successful team, however, having said that I know a lot of Southern Manchester United fans.

I believe bspur makes a relevant point, but probably not as eloquently as he needs to.
Croydon

Postby DaveyWalnuts on Sun May 27, 2012 6:21 pm

Croydon wrote:I think a distinction needs to be made between Asians (still do not know what type of Asian we are referring to) who were born into a Western culture, rather than a more traditional one.

I think there may be a case that a more "traditional" Asian would favour the more successful team, however, having said that I know a lot of Southern Manchester United fans.

I believe bspur makes a relevant point, but probably not as eloquently as he needs to.

And you have put it more eloquently than I. Personally found the "face" rather sweeping and is not just a thing reserved for Asians. Everyone likes to feel part of something successful. My "tripe" may comment may be a bit rash and I acknowledge that. But back to the original post where he talks of British Asians the ones I know are either West Ham or Chelsea.
DaveyWalnuts

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sun May 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Bear in mind Chaps that when talking about " Asians " it's going to be " sweeping " isn't it as there's Billions ( literally ) of them.. :lol:

Face is a HUGE thing in large parts of Asia ( where Asians come from ) and anyway who has spent any decent amount of time there and is aware of various Asian cultures will tell you the same thing.

I haven't a clue what Deepak from Ilford or Asif from Edgbaston thinks about face and those 2 are normally who are referred to when talking about " Asians " in the UK anyway, aren't they ?

When people in teh UK use the term " Asians " it's generally referring to South Asians like Indians, Bangladeshi's and Pakistani's isn't it ?

Other Asian Nations like the Chinese for example, are generally referred to as " Chinese " rather than " Asians " aren't they ??
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby DaveyWalnuts on Sun May 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Bear in mind Chaps that when talking about " Asians " it's going to be " sweeping " isn't it as there's Billions ( literally ) of them.. :lol:

Face is a HUGE thing in large parts of Asia ( where Asians come from ) and anyway who has spent any decent amount of time there and is aware of various Asian cultures will tell you the same thing.

I haven't a clue what Deepak from Ilford or Asif from Edgbaston thinks about face and those 2 are normally who are referred to when talking about " Asians " in the UK anyway, aren't they ?

When people in teh UK use the term " Asians " it's generally referring to South Asians like Indians, Bangladeshi's and Pakistani's isn't it ?

Other Asian Nations like the Chinese for example, are generally referred to as " Chinese " rather than " Asians " aren't they ??

Maybe it's just my issue, replace Asian with blacks and face with crime...I just don't subscribe to the generalisation. That's not to say I'm not wrong, I could just an over sensitive leftie.

When I refer to Asians as you say I speak of South Asians however my ex who was a Scouser meant Chinese when referring to Asians. But then she was a scouser so that's not saying much.
DaveyWalnuts

Postby WHU Independent on Sun May 27, 2012 11:56 pm

Yes we attract Asian fans - been drinking with some tonight - but we don't attract Muslim fans - that is the problem. Someone had to say it.
WHU Independent

Postby badgermax on Mon May 28, 2012 12:36 am

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:Let's just get something straight about parts of Asia before we saying that when people tell the truth, it's " tripe "..

===

http://www.ywamthai.org/office/culture" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Face

The concept of "Face" is most important in Thai culture. Keeping one's "Face" is equivalent to keeping one's self-respect and dignity intact. Thais will go great lengths to ensure that, as much as possible, neither you nor they will lose "Face". In fact, almost anywhere you go in Asia, you will find this concept important. This means that Thais will rarely confront even when you have offended them. Therefore, confrontation must be done with great care to avoid shaming a Thai friend. It is best to ask a "farang" who has lived in Thailand for several years for advice if you feel confrontation is necessary.

===

Sorry, as you were.. :thup:

I was really enjoying reading the 'ywamthai' site until I realised it was an evangelical organisation....
Was that intentional?

"Sharing the Gospel

The Thais are very relationship oriented. That means that unless they feel like you want to be their friend first, they are usually not going to be interested in the Gospel. Do NOT start sharing the Gospel with them before you have asked them about their family, where they live, their hobbies, school etc.

Remember that Thailand is a Buddhist country and many of our concepts concerning God are very difficult for them to grasp and understand especially Christian cliches. When sharing your testimony, keep it simply and to the point.

When explaining the Gospel, we have found it best to start from the very beginning of creation, attempting to explain God and His purpose for creating the universe and man. Just keep in mind that most Thai people have no Christian background whatsoever.

Never argue with them about Buddhism or say anything negative about Buddha or compare him to Jesus. That will only create resentment. Thai people believe in reincarnation, karma, merit, ancestor worship, ghosts of many kinds and much more. Remember when sharing with a Thai don't get bogged down trying to figure out all these things, just stay focused on your testimony and the love of God. When it comes right down to it, Thai people have an emptiness in their hearts which only God can fill. They need to know that God loves them and wants a personal relationship with them."
badgermax

Postby badgermax on Mon May 28, 2012 12:40 am

Sorry, bad darts to post again and all that, but I had to highlight my favourite bit.

"When it comes right down to it, Thai people have an emptiness in their hearts which only God can fill. They need to know that God loves them and wants a personal relationship with them."

Apologies to any evangelists, no offence intended, but i found it funny. :D
badgermax

Postby WHU Independent on Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 am

badgermax wrote:Sorry, bad darts to post again and all that, but I had to highlight my favourite bit.

"When it comes right down to it, Thai people have an emptiness in their hearts which only West Ham can fill. They need to know that God loves them and wants a personal relationship with them."

Apologies to any evangelists, no offence intended, but i found it funny. :D

Edited for you .
WHU Independent

Postby phukethammer on Mon May 28, 2012 5:43 am

My Wife is West Ham...

She knocks up a mean Thai Green Curry as well!!

She went to her first game at Upton park ( and it will always be Upton park for me, before the know it alls chirp up) a while back as well when we were back in london for christmas.

my 2 younger brother in laws are both West Ham although they had no choice really. :lol:

They are all totally hooked on West Ham United.
phukethammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion