Now Hearn wants to ground share

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Persil Tickets
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Now Hearn wants to ground share

Post by Persil Tickets »

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... 04278.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iron Mike

Leyton Orient bid to ground-share with West Ham

Post by Iron Mike »

I would tell them to do one personally but your views?

Leyton Orient are to approach West Ham about ground-sharing the ­Olympic Stadium, it emerged today.

Orient chairman Barry Hearn will seek talks with West Ham owners David Gold and David Sullivan as, it is understood, retractable seating can now be laid over the running track in a cost-effective manner.

The track has to remain a feature of the stadium under the terms of a legacy agreement and if the deal went through it would be the first time two London clubs have shared a stadium on a permanent basis.

A source close to the idea told Standard Sport: “It ticks all the boxes. Why not ground-share? It already happens all over the world.”

Hearn had been a vocal critic of transforming the Olympic Stadium into a football venue. “The stadium is a magnificent athletics stadium, it is just not built for football,” he said.

However, West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady recently revealed the club had examined the possibility of including retractable seating in plans to turn the stadium into a football-friendly arena and put the cost at £10million.

Crucially, it is an option that could appease Hearn who had threatened legal action to prevent West Ham moving to within one and half miles of Orient’s Brisbane Road ground. West Ham’s presence so close to League One Orient would, he said, “kill our football club”.

Earlier this month the London Legacy Development Corporation announced it was extending the tenancy bidding process for a 99-year lease on the Olympic Stadium until after the Games.

LLDC chief executive Andrew Altman added that it was hoped contracts for converting the Stadium would be signed by October, with the intention of re-opening the venue in 2014.

Source http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... 04278.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: Leyton Orient bid to ground-share with West Ham

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Not only would I reject this out of hand, I would call a press conference and publicly state it for the record, adding in my hatred of that oderous **** Hearn.

Tell him to do one G&S!
polar
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by polar »

I'm confused. How does ground sharing help with Hearn's fear that we would take away their fans? Other than we could not play at the same time?
Iron Mike

Leyton Orient bid to ground-share with West Ham

Post by Iron Mike »

Source http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/foo ... 04278.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leyton Orient are to approach West Ham about ground-sharing the ­Olympic Stadium, it emerged today.

Orient chairman Barry Hearn will seek talks with West Ham owners David Gold and David Sullivan as, it is understood, retractable seating can now be laid over the running track in a cost-effective manner.

The track has to remain a feature of the stadium under the terms of a legacy agreement and if the deal went through it would be the first time two London clubs have shared a stadium on a permanent basis.

A source close to the idea told Standard Sport: “It ticks all the boxes. Why not ground-share? It already happens all over the world.”

Hearn had been a vocal critic of transforming the Olympic Stadium into a football venue. “The stadium is a magnificent athletics stadium, it is just not built for football,” he said.

However, West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady recently revealed the club had examined the possibility of including retractable seating in plans to turn the stadium into a football-friendly arena and put the cost at £10million.

Crucially, it is an option that could appease Hearn who had threatened legal action to prevent West Ham moving to within one and half miles of Orient’s Brisbane Road ground. West Ham’s presence so close to League One Orient would, he said, “kill our football club”.

Earlier this month the London Legacy Development Corporation announced it was extending the tenancy bidding process for a 99-year lease on the Olympic Stadium until after the Games.

LLDC chief executive Andrew Altman added that it was hoped contracts for converting the Stadium would be signed by October, with the intention of re-opening the venue in 2014.
Supersoulfighter
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Supersoulfighter »

They must be having a laugh, surely?
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

If they can pay half the leasing fees, why not? It would be up to them to try and fill the stadium. :lol:

Non starter isn't it, really.
ultimatehammers

Post by ultimatehammers »

hahaha :lol:
Headtheball

Post by Headtheball »

I wouldn't trust him at all. Tell Hearn to get lost.
He only wants to delay everything again and by trying to get involved he would then see the plans and probably ask for all sorts of changes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Levy is involved somewhere pulling the strings.
Iron Mike

Post by Iron Mike »

They've just tried to f*** our future, now they want us to help with theirs - f*** right off!!
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

No chance. thsee guys have done their level best to screw us. We need to pay them back big time, and allowing them to profit from redeveloping their groud wouldnt be part of that.

We should be carpetting Leyton with cheap tickets after we move, so they go bust.

What goes around comes around Barry.
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Apart from all the hypocrisy of Barry Hearn, how could this stadium ever work for a club like Orient ? I've been to orient before and I like their ground as it is. It suits the purpose and has the right size for a club like them. Their low average attendance is certainly not connected to what West Ham do or that Brisbane Road is not the right kind of stadium for them.

If their team started to play more attractive football they could start selling more tickets, but however much you improve the matchday experience I cannot for the life of me seee how they will EVER attract more than 10.000 fans on average. And how stupid would even those 10.000 look in a 60.000 seater like the Olympic Stadium ?

I have nothing against sending them some of our youth players on loan occasionally, but I don't see how this groundshare could work for Orient...
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Let them share with the filth at their new place after all the two of them tried to stop us getting it. :think:
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

polar wrote:I'm confused. How does ground sharing help with Hearn's fear that we would take away their fans? Other than we could not play at the same time?
They have no fans anyway. I live on the road off of Brisbane Road and their presence as a football club is shameful. Though I guess that is likely to be the case in a place like Leyton, where very few people were actually born here. Detest the club, and no longer hold the guilt that I once did for climbing into the stadium, stealing a few crates of Lucozade and playing football on the pitch when I was about 10!

I can only hope Barry doesn't read this and then decide to take me to court, looking for a few quid for the drinks!
BSB1

Post by BSB1 »

If I were the Dave's I'd string that **** along until the last possible moment then hang him out to dry.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Maybe the prick has a cunning plan?
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

So Barry,moving nearer your club would be the end but ground sharing would be great.
There has got to be some strange way of looking at things,or perhaps its just that you are a **** Barry.
beckton

Post by beckton »

And Hearn flogs Brisbane Road and makes a few million quid. Which is what he's been after all the time.
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

Gold and Sullivan will agree to any ground sharing idea if there's a chance of making even more money out of the Olympic Stadium move
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

So; West Ham moving to within a mile and a half will 'kill Leyton Orient' but actually moving in with us (a distance of 0.0 miles) would be a good solution for them. F**k off Hearn you hypocritical T**t.