OS plans

An archive of news, events and discussion leading up to and post West Ham United's historic move from Upton Park to Stratford in 2016.

Moderators: Gnome, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: OS plans

Post by Mega Ron »

I honestly don't understand why people get so worked about us leaving the Boleyn. Whatever the OS becomes we will be trading up in my opinion. I'd rather be a tenant in a decent location than own the freehold in a **** one. I support West Ham not the bricks and mortar of a, again in my opinion, dive that we flogged some really great players to pay for. The only thing the Boleyn really offers is decent views in places.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Hammers80 wrote: Whatever the OS becomes we will be trading up in my opinion.
You sat in the lower tier the other day right? Are you honestly telling me that if it stayed like that it would be 'trading up'? I've been there as well and the view is ****ing ****.

I was in Stratford Magistrates' Court yesterday. In terms of dives the area is the Acapulco of East London. The Olympic Park is like some gated community, outside of it the area remains a cess pool.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I was in every stand. The view was pretty good everywhere. Even so, there is money being spent to convert the stadium to make it better. However, I believe the OS is better as it is than the Boleyn can ever be for us.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Hammers80 wrote: However, I believe the OS is better as it is than the Boleyn can ever be for us.
Why? The areas nicer, the stadium's shinier and the transport's easier?
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

hadleighhammer wrote:Why? The areas nicer, the stadium's shinier and the transport's easier?
From a personal and selfish point of view the transport is far easier for me traveling in from rural Hertfordshire....

And a larger capacity makes it more likely that I'll get tickets for games that I'd like to see rather than for the least appealing games, early league cup ties etc...

There's a lot of supporters who can't attend often enough and / or who find access to the Boleyn difficult enough for it to be not worthwhile in their having a season ticket, and for them the OS seems to be a far better proposition from the point of view of games they'll actually be able to see.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Iron-worx wrote: And a larger capacity makes it more likely that I'll get tickets for games that I'd like to see rather than for the least appealing games, early league cup ties etc...
If we're in PL then the 'big' games should do well, if ticket prices are fair.

But for the other games, the place will be half full, once the novelty wears off.

Night games in the cold weather v the likes of Bolton, Boro etc, held in a big open stadium in a big open area, aren't going to do well.

League Cup Rd 1 v tiny League 2 club, 15,000 in a 60,000+ stadium :shock:
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

Pop Robson wrote:
If we're in PL then the 'big' games should do well, if ticket prices are fair.

But for the other games, the place will be half full, once the novelty wears off.

Night games in the cold weather v the likes of Bolton, Boro etc, held in a big open stadium in a big open area, aren't going to do well.

League Cup Rd 1 v tiny League 2 club, 15,000 in a 60,000+ stadium :shock:
I wouldn't discount it so quickly, there must be a lot of fans like me who find it difficult to get to the Boleyn and can't make every game anyhow so need to buy tickets for specific games...

I can get to the OS far easier, WAGN to Highbury and Islington then N. London line to Hackney Wick puts me less than 1KM from the ground, probably less than half the time and effort it takes me to get to the Boleyn...

Even after I've fought my way to the Boleyn I can only get tickets for the less desirable games, that scenario makes you go less and less...

At the OS not only would I be able to get there without breaking my back but I should be able to get tickets for games that I actually want to see as opposed to whatever I might be able to get a ticket for, that scenario surely makes you go more and more...

Fans in my situation just give up on ever seeing the more desirable games as things are and can only get into games that those who attend more regularly have snubbed their noses at....

Yes you do see me at the Bolton / Boro midwinter midweeks and at the tiny league 2 club league cup ties, or maybe not depending on whether or not you're one of those who snub their noses at those sorts of game....

If tickets cost less then so much the better but even if they don't then I'm onto a winner over how things are.
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Olliek92 wrote:Adam Jackson ‏ @Adzman89 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Ok, here comes some ClungeWHU news...

Clungewhu. I have seen the plans for the olympic stadium and its awsome. Retractable seating in the lower and upper levels totaly cover...

Clungewhu...the track. Retractable roof. All 4 stands named after legends moore hurst peters brooking. Seats claret and blue...

Clungewhu. You will be amazed its fantastic. Cost 150 mil
So any update from this ClungeWHU, all gone a bit quite, that said Brady's column as quite last week :think:

Rectractable roof just like cardiff !!
Pop Robson

Post by Pop Robson »

Just seen the retractable seating outside Buckingham Palace, let's hope it doesn't rain !
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Iron-worx wrote:
Even after I've fought my way to the Boleyn I can only get tickets for the less desirable games, that scenario makes you go less and less...

At the OS not only would I be able to get there without breaking my back but I should be able to get tickets for games that I actually want to see as opposed to whatever I might be able to get a ticket for, that scenario surely makes you go more and more...
We have barely sold a game out for two seasons. Which games were you struggling to get tickets for?
adie

Post by adie »

iron-worx I hope your back gets better, how do you travel to games ? You must crawl on your hands and knees through Bermondsey in a West Ham shirt, but so you can pick and choose what games you go to, regular attenders can just suffer with a **** ground with a **** view
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

I have posted on this topic before with regard to not able to book seats for the bigger home games.

You tend to be put up at the back of the Alpari Stand which is not a bad view but I don't want to be sat there every time I attend.

It's not always easy getting tickets on general sale either for the bigger games.

With the OS, there will be a wider selection available in different parts of the ground.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

adie wrote:iron-worx I hope your back gets better, how do you travel to games ? You must crawl on your hands and knees through Bermondsey in a West Ham shirt, but so you can pick and choose what games you go to, regular attenders can just suffer with a **** ground with a **** view
Have you seen the plans then? Do you know what it will look like when it has been reconfigured?

Barry Hearn has even tried to get on board, so there must be something worth while happening???
adie

Post by adie »

Hearn is motivated by the same thing as Gold & Sullivan; MONEY. Of course I haven't seen any plans, have you ? All I've heard is Gold say trust me and going on his passed record that ain't much to go on, I trusted him to consult fans, he didn't. I trusted him to respect our history and traditions, he took the away complimentry tickets from Ron Greenwood's and John Lyall's family. I trusted him on the ticket allocation for Wembley and he lied. I trusted him on honouring the 20% discount for season ticket holders and he lied about even knowing of the pledge even though in public at his fans forum last year the subject was brought up, how many more times do we have to swallow his bullsh!t excuses and trust him ?
York Ham(mer)
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by York Ham(mer) »

You could buy them out, adie, run the club your way.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

adie wrote:Hearn is motivated by the same thing as Gold & Sullivan; MONEY. Of course I haven't seen any plans, have you ? All I've heard is Gold say trust me and going on his passed record that ain't much to go on, I trusted him to consult fans, he didn't. I trusted him to respect our history and traditions, he took the away complimentry tickets from Ron Greenwood's and John Lyall's family. I trusted him on the ticket allocation for Wembley and he lied. I trusted him on honouring the 20% discount for season ticket holders and he lied about even knowing of the pledge even though in public at his fans forum last year the subject was brought up, how many more times do we have to swallow his bullsh!t excuses and trust him ?
Can you break it down exactly how they are in it for the money?

Because for me, they have purchased a debt ridden club who were on the verge of extinction. As far as I am aware they have had no return for their investment yet. They have kept the club afloat to the tune of £30m this season. They have put into their own pockets to fund transfers.

If you are one of the doubters and you think the OS will kill the club, then how are they in it for the money?
adie

Post by adie »

firstly they have purchased only 2/3 of the club, the Icelandic bank still own 1/3. They have loaned the club money for which they are charging interest on that loan. They make plenty of money from club merchandise on which they have the monopoly. The price up on beer, tea, coffee and food on matchdays is a nice little earner not to mention TV revenue and matchday tickets. I seem to recall Gold saying winning the play-offs was a good financial input too. As for the Olympic Stadium even Gold said you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, now I'd say they are gonna do alright out of that especially when they sell the Boleyn Ground, as for the move killing the club, who knows ? It's a gamble for sure, not a gamble I would like to take. If we do move to the OS Gold & Sullivan will sell the club to the highest bidder and they won't care whether it kills us or not cos they will be quids in and out of here.
JohnnyAyris

Post by JohnnyAyris »

Very bored with this lauding of Gold and Sullivan for putting money into the club.
It's called making an investment and people in business do it with the idea of making a profit.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

JohnnyAyris wrote:Very bored with this lauding of Gold and Sullivan for putting money into the club.
It's called making an investment and people in business do it with the idea of making a profit.
And has what they've put in had any effect on their standard of living? No. If you've got £500 million you don't miss £30 million.
Fans who buy season tickets and follow the team around the country make far more of a finanical sacrifice than G&S have doen - and for no financial return.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

brownout wrote:And has what they've put in had any effect on their standard of living? No. If you've got £500 million you don't miss £30 million.
Fans who buy season tickets and follow the team around the country make far more of a finanical sacrifice than G&S have doen - and for no financial return.
Come off it. Watching football is a leisure activity. Fans spend money going to football because they enjoy it.