thursday's news 21st june includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news 21st june includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the mirror

You're in Diame now! West Ham beat Liverpool to signing of midfielder Mohamed

"He's 25 and can only get better," says Sam Allardyce

West Ham have confirmed a deal to sign Senegal midfielder Mohamed Diame on a free transfer from Wigan.

The 25-year-old has agreed a three-year deal at Upton Park and will make the move on July 1 after the expiry of his Wigan contract.

"I'm very happy and very excited to have joined the club and I'm looking forward to the start of the season," Diame told the club's website.

"I know the fans here get behind the team all the time and I'm looking forward to showing everybody what I can do on the pitch."

Diame will meet his new team-mates on the first day of pre-season training on July 1 before flying out with the team to Austria.

He is the third new signing of the summer for the newly-promoted Hammers, joining Stephen Henderson and Jussi Jaaskelainen in Sam Allardyce's squad.

Allardyce said: "His potential is really good and he's ready to go and compete in the first team straight away as he's had three years in the Premier League already.

"He's 25 and can only get better and I hope he can go on to prove that to me and all of the West Ham United fans. He will be a very exciting addition to the squad."

Diame joined Wigan in 2009 from Spanish club Rayo Vallecano, having previously played for Lens and Linares

the star

WEST HAM BEAT LIVERPOOL TO LAND MOHAMED ­DIAME

WEST HAM completed the signing of midfielder ­Mohamed ­Diame yesterday.

The Premier League new boys landed the Senegal international on a free ­transfer from Wigan and he will join them on July 1 after agreeing a three-year deal.

Diame was linked with ­Tottenham, ­Arsenal, Aston Villa and Liverpool – with the Anfield side the hot favourites to win the race for his signature.

He was on the verge of joining the Reds after running down his contract at Wigan following three years there.

But he was forced to rethink his future once boss Kenny Dalglish was sacked and instead opted for West Ham

Diame, 25, said: “I’m very happy and excited to have joined the club and I’m looking forward to the start of the season.

“I know the fans here get behind the team all the time and I am now really looking ­forward to showing ­everybody what I can do on the pitch.”

Delighted ­Hammers boss Sam ­Allardyce said: “His ­potential is really good and he’s ready to go and ­compete in the first team straight away as he’s had three years in the Premier League ­already.

“He’s 25 and can only get better and I hope he can go on to prove that to me and all of the West Ham United fans. He is a very exciting addition to the squad.”

Diame will link up with his new team-mates for the start of pre-season ­before joining their tour of Austria.

Diame is Allardyce’s third summer signing as he ­prepares for the Hammers’ Premier League return.

He has already signed goalkeepers Stephen ­Henderson and Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Allardyce is now set to turn his attention to ­capturing striker Grant Holt from Norwich

the star

PREMIER LEAGUE TRIO TARGET £6M WOLVES WINGER MATT JARVIS

WOLVES are facing a triple-pronged attack to get England winger Matt Jarvis out of Molineux.

Stoke and Southampton are lining up bids for the £6m-rated star, while West Ham are still interested despite having a £4m offer turned down.

But new Wolves boss Stale ­Solbakken wants to convince Jarvis, 26, that he should stay and try to get the relegated club back into the Premier League at the first attempt.

Wolves are not under pressure to sell and with Jarvis still having three years left on his contract, interested clubs will have to stump up the club’s valuation.

Solbakken has been assured by chief executive Jez Moxey that no players will be sold.

Jarvis picked up his one England cap under Fabio Capello when he played in the friendly against Ghana last year.

the mail

East Ender: Mohamed Diame has joined West Ham on a three-year deal from Wigan

Hammer time for Diame as midfielder quits Wigan for Upton Park

West Ham have completed their third summer signing with Wigan midfielder Mohamed Diame joining the Premier League new boys on a three-year deal.

The Hammers beat off a host of European and domestic suitors to snap up the 25-year-old midfielder on a free transfer from Wigan.

Sportsmail understands that the Senegal international was put through a stringent medical amid concerns of a heart condition but manager Sam Allardyce is delighted to add him to his squad.

'His is potential is really good and he's ready to go and compete in the first team straight away as he's had three years in the Premier League already,' Allardyce told the club's official website.

'He's 25 and can only get better and I hope he can go on to prove that to me and all of the West Ham United fans.

'He will be a very exciting addition to the squad.'

Diame, who started his career at Lens before switching to Spanish side Rayo Vallecano and later Wigan in 2009, insisted he was looking forward to his new beginning at Upton Park joining goalkeepers Stephen Henderson and Jussi Jaaskelainen as the club's third summer recruit.

'I'm very happy and very excited to have joined the club and I'm looking forward to the start of the season,' said Diame, who last month admitted he was heading for Liverpool until manager Kenny Dalglish was sacked.

Diame, who will compete with the likes of captain Kevin Nolan, Jack Collison and Mark Noble for a central midfield berth, will officially join the east London club on July 1 when his Latics deal expires before jetting out to Austria a day later on their pre-season tour.

He added: 'I know the fans here get behind the team all the time and I'm looking forward to showing everybody what I can do on the pitch.'

the mail

Hammer time: West Ham want Grant Holt

West Ham will now turn their attentions to 31-year-old Norwich striker Grant Holt.

It is understood that the Hammers have tabled an improved £5.5million bid for the wantaway Canaries frontman, who scored 17 goals last term.

Busy boss Allardyce hopes to bolster his squad with further acquisitions and has been linked with moves for Juventus winger Eljero Elia, West Brom's Jonas Olsson, Trabzonspor hitman Burak Yilmaz.

George McCartney is expected to complete a permanent switch to the Boleyn from Sunderland soon. The left-back was named the Players' Player of the Year following his successful loan stint last season.

And Allardyce could be encouraged to make a bid for out-of-favour Inter Milan teenager Luc Castaignos, 19, after the Dutch striker admitted he plans to leave the Serie A side in search of a move to a 'big club'.

west ham till i die

Should We Bid £5.5m for Grant Holt?

So, it has been confirmed today that Mo Diame has signed for the club. And the general opinion amongst supporters seems to be that he is a very good signing, who will strengthen our squad in a key position.

Hot on the heels of the Diame signing, the transfer focus has now shifted to an alleged increased bid for Norwich City Striker, Grant Holt. The figure being quoted in the press is an improved bid of £5.5m. If true, that is a substantial fee for a 31 year old striker, with little or no resale value. Although, maybe the club's rationale is that Holt is the striker to keep us in the PL nexr season, and that on its own is well worth the outlay?

With the Yakubu deal looking increasingly unlikely, is Holt the best striking option available to us? Or should we be looking elsewhere in our efforts to improve our fire power next season? At the end of the day, and all things considered, is it a good prospective investment to bid an alleged £5.5m for Holt's service?

SJ. Chandos.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is confident Arsene Wenger is 'certain' captain Robin van Persie, 28, will stay at Arsenal, despite only have 12 months left on his current contract.

talkSPORT

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew is set to meet striker Demba Ba, 27, this week, in a bid to thrash out the striker's future.
The Metro
Martin Skrtel

Manchester City are preparing a £20m bid for Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, 27, as a cheaper alternative to Thiago Silva.

The Mirror

Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes, 31, wants to stay at Spurs now Harry Redknapp has left.

The Sun

Norwich City are the latest club to show an interest in signing England and Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland, 19, which will pave the way for John Ruddy, 25, to link up with former boss Paul Lambert at Aston Villa.

The Mirror

Swansea are keen to sign PSV Eindhoven midfielder Otman Bakkal, 27, with the Dutchman seen as the ideal replacement for Liverpool-bound Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Daily Mail

Laurent Blanc would be a hit at Spurs says Saha

French striker Louis Saha believes the current France Laurent Blanc, 40, would be a hit at Tottenham if he was to take over from Harry Redknapp.

talkSPORT

Rangers are interested in buying League One side Bury so they can move into English football. :shock:

The Sun

Wayne Rooney has revealed he is on a "hair-raising mission" to look like his England strike partner Andy Carroll.

welcome to west ham mo

babe of the day

http://bitcast-a.v1.o1.lhr1.bitgravity. ... g/0004.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hernebayhammer

Re: thursday's news 21st june includes west ham

Post by hernebayhammer »

Cheers CH, I look forward to this every morning. You are a legend!
El Hierro

Post by El Hierro »

cheers ch
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

Thank you CH!
wormley
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by wormley »

Thanks CH
OhioHammer9

Post by OhioHammer9 »

Cheers, CH. You make getting my West Ham news in the States much easier. :crest:
RedStar

Post by RedStar »

Thanks, CH!
Jimmy2Sheds

Post by Jimmy2Sheds »

Gawd bless yeh Mr Hammer.

:crest:
Los Martillos
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Los Martillos »

Cheers mate - you're doing a great job!

:thup:
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

"He's 25 and can only get better," says Sam Allardyce
In previous years I´d have read this as something like "He´s 25 and can only......pick up a pre season injury ruling him out till at least xmas..."

I love what is happening to WHU :D

As they say round here, grazie mille CH, I think you should do a poll to find out how many people read your news thread every morning, I suspect the number would be ****ing loads!

EDIT : Sunday round here (North Italy) should be fun, c´mon ENGLAND!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks CH. You make me late for work almost every day!
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Cheers CH :thup: Legend of West Ham news here in Euskadi
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »

Cheers CH, as ever :thup:
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

holt 5.5mil im trying not to laugh to much :P
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Cheers CH. Momo is gonna be the new Viera :thup:
ricicles

Post by ricicles »

I have a theory that signing Holt will pretty much relegate Norwich, he is Captain and a huge character in the dressing room there, much like Nolan is here. There may be better options for 5.5million but realistically, by weakening another relegation candidate, we are strengthening our chances of staying in the league. And we get an attacker that has scored goals at premiership level.

All that said, I wouldnt mind us hanging back on Holt, trying for others, and coming back to Holt at the end of the window, further reducing Norwich's chances of effectively replacing him.
Chester Hammer

Post by Chester Hammer »

Cheers CH much appreciated
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

If Holt performs as he did last year 5.5m is peanuts - he scored more goals than our top scorer did in the Chumps league, has been pretty consistent and is exactly the type of striker BFS likes, big, strong, powerful but can hit the back of the onion bag. I think he'll alternate Cole and Holt if he signs as Holt generally doesn't last 90 minutes so may be an impact sub or start games for Cole to replace. The sell on value is also irrelevamt since he's being bought for the here and now, which is more important than spending 10m on someone else unproven or 2m on someone who might improve in the future. There's 30m riding on us remaining in the premiership, that's the priority.