thursday's news 19th july includes west ham

An archive of Cockney Hammer's West Ham-related daily news digests from 2009-2015. For the latest daily digests, see the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

thursday's news 19th july includes west ham

Post by cockney hammer »

the sun

Hammers snap up Maiga

WEST HAM have signed Modibo Maiga from FC Sochaux-Montbeliard on a four-year deal.

The Mali striker joins for an undisclosed fee thought to be around £5million.

Maiga, 24, made 59 appearances during his two years at Sochaux and scored 24 goals.

His long-term contract also gives the option of a further two years at the Hammers.

Maiga said: “I am really happy and excited about joining West Ham United.

“I know West Ham are a big club in England and I’m really looking forward to representing them.

“They have huge tradition and it is like joining part of a family and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to come here.

“I know some of the big names that have played for the club in the past and I am proud to be part of a new team back in the Premier League.”

Maiga becomes West Ham’s fifth signing since winning the Championship play-offs, following deals for Mohamed Diame, George McCartney, Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson.

the sun

Sam sues Kean

SAM ALLARDYCE is launching a bitter court battle against Steve Kean as football heads for the dock again.

Days after John Terry was cleared of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand, West Ham boss Allardyce has accused Blackburn chief Kean of slander in a High Court writ.

Big Sam’s case follows a foul-mouthed, off-field tirade by his former No 2 Kean that was captured on camera by Rovers fans and posted on the internet.

Terry’s case laid bare the abuse dished out amongst players — now the hatred between some managers will be exposed.

In the video, Kean questions ex-Rovers boss Allardyce’s integrity and also claims the credit for discovering Phil Jones, now at Manchester United.

the sun

NATHANIEL CLYNE is to pen a four-year-deal with Southampton.

Saints boss Nigel Adkins is to win the chase for the Crystal Palace full-back, 19, who was also linked with a move to Manchester United, West Ham and Newcastle

the mirror

Happy Hammers: Striker Maiga completes move to West Ham

Sochaux star has joined the Premier League new boys for an undisclosed fee on a four-year deal - watch him in action here
Top man: Maiga gives us his Blue Steel in West Ham's new home shirt - on sale from Thursday - in this exclusive snap Top man: Maiga gives us his Blue Steel in West Ham's new home shirt - on sale from Thursday - in this exclusive snap

West Ham have completed the signing of Modibo Maiga from Sochaux on a long-term deal.

The 24-year-old has been regularly linked with a move to English football and has today joined the Barclays Premier League new boys.

Maiga, who can play as a centre-forward or on the wing, joins the Hammers for an undisclosed fee on a four-year deal, with an option for a further two years.

"I am really happy and excited about joining West Ham United," he told the club's official website, http://www.whufc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

"I know West Ham are a big club in England and I'm really looking forward to representing them.

"They have huge tradition and it is like joining part of a family and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to come here.

"I know some of the big names that have played for the club in the past and I am proud to be part of a new team back in the Premier League."

Maiga becomes West Ham's fifth signing since winning the npower Championship play-offs, following deals for Mohamed Diame, George McCartney, Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson.

The Mali international began his career with Stade Malien in his homeland aged 15, before moving on to Moroccan club Raja Casablanca in 2004.

Maiga moved to Ligue 1 side Le Mans three years later and then on to Sochaux, netting 16 goals in his first season with Les Lionceaux.

The Bamako-born striker scored nine times in 23 league appearances last season and looked close to a move to Newcastle before reportedly failing a medical.

Maiga becomes the second Malian to represent West Ham, following fellow forward Frederic Kanoute. He has scored five goals in 31 appearances for the national team.

the mirror

Into the Valley? West Ham striker pondering Charlton switch

Crystal Palace are also keen on Hammers outcast

Charlton are keen on landing West Ham striker Sam Baldock to beef up their Championship challenge.

The ambitious League One winners are already targeting a possible return to the Premier League under Chris Powell and believe the 23-year-old Baldock could be the answer in a potential £1.5million deal.

Charlton's south London neighbours Crystal Palace are also keen on Baldock, who scored 43 goals in 82 appearances for MK Dons before his move to Upton Park last summer.

The striker scored six in as many games at the start of last season under Sam Allardyce but after injury he lost his place following the arrivals of Ricardo Vaz Te and Nicky Maynard.

While Baldock wants to stay in the East End and prove his quality he is understood to be keen for more first team football and if he is surplus to requirements at Upton Park would consider a change of scenery.

The prospect of The Valley, where there is a renewed sense of optimism under former Chalrton and England left-back Powell, would appear the best fit if a formal bid is made and accepted by Allardyce.

the star

WEST HAM SIGN MODIBO MAIGA

MODIBO MAIGA finally secured a switch to the Premier League after moving to West Ham.

The Mali forward, 25, joined the newly-promoted Hammers for £4.7m after bagging 24 goals in the last two seasons for French side Sochaux.

And Maiga, who almost moved to Newcastle in January, only to see the deal collapse due to concerns about a knee problem, was delighted to be heading to Upton Park.

He said: “I am really happy and excited about joining West Ham.

“I know West Ham are a big club in England and I’m really looking forward to representing them.

the mail

Welcome: Modibo Maiga poses in his West Ham shirt, which is on sale from tomorrow in club stores

Maiga raring to go after sealing £5m switch to West Ham

Modibo Maiga has revealed his delight after sealing his £5million switch to West Ham.

The 24-year-old Mali striker arrives from Sochaux and has signed a four-year contract at Upton Park.

He will compete with Carlton Cole, Nicky Maynard, Ricardo Vaz Te and Sam Baldock for a place in the Hammers' attack.

Maiga said: 'I am really happy and excited about joining West Ham United. I know West Ham are a big club in England and I'm really looking forward to representing them.

'They have huge tradition and it is like joining part of a family and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to come here.

'I know some of the big names that have played for the club in the past and I am proud to be part of a new team back in the Premier League.'

the guardian

Sam Allardyce takes legal action against Steve Kean and Blackburn

• 'He has issued legal proceedings,' says spokesperson
• Allardyce acts in response to internet video clip earlier in year

The West Ham manager, Sam Allardyce, was replaced by Steve Kean when he was sacked by Blackburn in 2010. Photograph: Julian Finney/Getty Images

Sam Allardyce is taking legal action against his former club Blackburn Rovers and the man who replaced him at Ewood Park, Steve Kean. Allardyce is reported to have acted after a video clip was published on the internet earlier this year which allegedly showed Kean criticising him.

A spokesman for Allardyce told the BBC: "He has issued legal proceedings against Steve Kean and Blackburn Rovers but is unable to comment further." West Ham have completed the signing of Modibo Maïga from Sochaux on a four-year deal.

just like my dreams

Are You Listening, Mr Pardew?

West Ham United have officially announced the signing of Mali international forward Modibo Maiga. The 24-year-old joins the Hammers from French side FC Sochaux-Montbeliard for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of £5million, putting pen to paper on a four-year contract with an option for a further two years. The player, who becomes West Ham's fifth summer arrival following Mohamed Diame, George McCartney, Jussi Jaaskelainen and Stephen Henderson, will be the second Malian to represent the club. He follows in the footsteps of fellow forward Frederic Kanoute, who scored 33 goals in 92 appearances for the Hammers between March 2000 and May 2003.

A beaming Maiga could not contain his pleasure at completing his move to the Boleyn Ground; the culmination of a long cherished dream to play in the Premier League. "I am really happy and excited about joining West Ham United," he told whufc.com. "I know West Ham are a big club in England and I'm really looking forward to representing them. They have huge tradition and it is like joining part of a family and that is one of the main reasons I wanted to come here. I know some of the big names that have played for the club in the past and I am proud to be part of a new team back in the Premier League."

The excitement, of course, is likely to be reciprocated by the expectant West Ham fans. These are days of hope and optimism, when our team is still level on points with the great powers and we dream impossible dreams. On the beaches of Spain and Portugal, Turkey and Greece, the great diaspora of Hammers followers pores over English newspapers, gorging on the transfer tittle-tattle that tells of the impending arrival of the one player who is going to transform our team. He bears the exotic stamp of some faraway place, his foreign passport enough to convince us of his credentials as a footballer to stir the heart.

So it was that Modibo Maiga stepped out of St Pancras station two days ago, over-sized suitcase in hand. The latest stop on an eventful journey that started in the back alleys of Djicoroni Para before wending its way through North Africa and then across France. "Shy, a little. Modest, certainly," says Gilles Santalucia on first meeting the man. It is, he thinks, the natural result of an education learnt on the streets of one of the poorest districts in one of the most deprived countries in the world. Mali has an estimated population of 12 million with over 50 percent of the country located in the Sahara Desert and with 64 per cent of the population living below the poverty line. It is a time and place, admits Maiga, where nothing in life is simple. "It is a region where things are very, very difficult," he concedes. "It must be said, it is a mess over there."

The young Malian is the third son in a family of ten children (six girls, 4 boys), yet grew up with a football almost stuck to his foot (especially the left one) and always smiling. "My father was a driver and my mother has long had a cafe. Even if it is was not always clear to us growing up in Mali, despite everything, there is still a zest for life that never disappears." Maiga has, he says, found less joy in people in France. "Everyone there has their own life but with us, we all live together. Among locals, there is a lot of solidarity, a common shared experience."

Growing up on those dusty plains, football was Maiga's first and only love. "I went to school through high school," he explains. "Afterwards, I changed my path. I chose football. In the neighbourhood we knew there was a lot of African players that were doing well in Europe. It made us envious. I was always one of the best in Djicoroni Para when doing competitions and technical stuff." Then he pauses as if to give full flight to his memory, "but we did not think, right then, of our futures. Football, it was fun, a kind of love. Yes, that's love. Only later did I start to see it otherwise."

Maiga started out at Stade Malien, based in Bamako and one of the two dominant clubs in Malian football. It was 2003 and he was 15 years of age, rubbing shoulders with several Mali internationals past, present and future. Just over a year later, and after only three club appearances, he was spotted by famed recruiter Philippe Romieu. Maiga initially moved to Raja Casablanca on a six-month loan with option to purchase and ended up staying for three seasons; winning several awards including the Moroccan League, the Throne Cup and the Arab Champions League. "I think the move to one of the biggest clubs in Africa certainly facilitated my integration in France," reflects Maiga. "I have only good memories. You do not forget the first steps you take out of your country."

For an ambitious and talented footballer, small motivation was required to leave Mali. "You do not know where you want to go," he says, "but you feel you want to go to progress." In Casablanca, Maiga had little choice but to embrace the madness. "The Moroccan people are crazy about football. With 60 000 to 70 000 spectators per match, there was an incredible atmosphere." Such an experience would leave an indelible mark on any impressionable young player. "It made me want to go even higher," he recalls, before admitting that he never found in France anything to match what he encountered in North Africa. "I miss it because the atmosphere in the stadiums there is very motivating for the player."

The move to Europe would prove to be a culture shock in more ways than one. The raw 20 year old landed in a snow dusted Le Mans shivering in the depths of a unseasonably harsh winter. Alone and uncomfortable in a strange land, he quickly confronted the unpalatable truth that a successful football career would "force him to consent" to sacrifice, to change his lifestyle. "It's very hard to deal with it all when you come from where I come from," he says. "For Brazilians, I think it's even worse. Them, they need to come with their entire family for everything to be happy around them. They need it. Yet we must face this new life to succeed. You are forced to fight against adversity."

Under the watchful eye of Daniel Jeandupeux, Maiga initially faced a severe test of resolve which would endure for almost a year. "When I arrived at Le Mans from Casablanca, I was a little hurt," he admits. "I took the time to heal and then had to gradually integrate myself into the group as well. So I started with the team of CFA (Championnat de France amateur fourth division)." He eventually joined the first team under the management of Rudi Garcia but featured only intermittently. "I fought through it," he states, before insisting he never lost belief in his ability even when he was not playing. "I told myself that I would play full-time the following season and be in great physical shape."

Garcia's subsequent departure for Lille and the promotion of Yves Bertucci coincided with Maiga's rapid rise. "My ambition to be successful at the club would have been the same no matter the coach," thinks Maiga. "I wanted to play more than anything. I worked very hard for it and I'm really ambitious. But it's true that Yves [Bertucci] knew me very well since I developed under his command in CFA. He knew me more than Rudi [Garcia] elsewhere. Yves gave me my chance. So I tried to return it to the fullest and to earn his trust."

Le Mans also had a strong contingent of French-speaking African players and Maiga believes that it eased his progress. "The presence of certain players was a very good thing for me," he says. "When I landed in the Sarthe, there was Romaric and Stephane Sessegnon. There was a lot of Africans. It was fun. We worked together and I could learn from their experience, and always listen to their advice." Playing alongside Ivory Coast player Gervinho, Maiga's talent slowly blossomed into full glory across the football fields of France. Despite Le Mans' ultimate relegation to Ligue 2, he bagged 15 goals in 88 games over a three year period; including eight goals in 30 games in the 2008-2009 season. Unwilling to drop a division, Maiga jumped at a transfer to FC Sochaux-Montbéliard for an estimated three million euros. "I could not forget that relegation," he says. "Even now it's hard to return to this disappointment. As Sochaux had followed me for a few months, I did not hesitate and I immediately gave my consent because it was a good challenge ahead for me."

Signing a four-year contract, Maiga informed the media that at Sochaux he felt respected. "Frankly, since the beginning I liked the place a lot," he says. "I really do not care about the surroundings, what interests me is the club environment. At Sochaux I felt more respected, more relevant and that made me more confident. The staff were very human and made me want to get involved. With them I felt able to make much progress. What they said, what they did, could only make people want to give of their best." That was then though. During the 2010–11 campaign Maiga struck up a 30 goal partnership with Nigerian Ideye Brown, each scoring 15 goals. Between them, they accounted for half of FC Sochaux's league goals. Maiga and Brown were assisted by playmakers Marvin Martin and Ryad Boudebouz as Sochaux finish fifth in Ligue 1 and qualified for the UEFA Europa League. By the following August, Maiga had announced that he would never play for the club again.

His sudden refusal to make himself available for selection for several matches of the new season launched its own public "soap opera"; played out against the backdrop of an impending transfer to Newcastle United that the player desperately wanted, but which club President Alexandre Lacombe categorically refused. The Mali international told L'Equipe: "I want it to be done with Newcastle. I want to leave, it is necessary that the president agrees to negotiate. I met everybody, they want me and it is not any club. England is a dream. I want to go." For their part, Sochaux accused Newcastle of speaking to Maiga without their permission and confirmed they had contacted Fifa to intervene. A few days after the transfer window slammed shut, a frustrated Maiga- who had already missed games against Malherbe de Caen and AS Nancy- went for a 'Sunday drive', claiming sickness and without informing anyone of his absence. He missed further games before eventually returning to the first team and scoring four goals in three games.

Yet resentment was still raging in Maiga as the unforgiving fans at the Stade Auguste Bonal continued to whistle his every move. Things came to a head in a televised match against Toulouse when Maiga was shown apoplectic with rage and hurling insults at the supporters who had once idolized him. "It was a good answer to the people who do not know football," he told the media after the game. "This will make them shut their big mouths. When you see what I did last year and the fans for whom I have always played do not try to understand, they hiss you. [...] I say 'f*** you' to the supporters. My answer is on the field. I have always been strong in my head, thank God."

An exasperated Lacombe was moved to extinguish the fire again. "He has in him a strong vengeful side," he told assembled journalists. "He really has it deep in his guts, and I think he spoke without thinking. It's our fault, we should not have let the press so quickly in the locker room. I do not know exactly how it happened, but I take it upon myself. We made a mistake, I take responsibility." Within months, the man who had resisted Newcastle’s repeated attempts to sign the 24-year-old in the summer conceded there was no point trying to do so again in January. "I have had enough of being booed by supporters, but anyway it does not stop me scoring goals for the club and making them happy," added Maiga in response. "I will not finish my career in Sochaux if I am scoring every week - that is the reality of football. I have not invented that. At the moment I am here and scoring goals. I do not know when the transfer window opens what there will be. It depends also on the club, but in the near future I want to ply my trade in another top league. It is a genuine ambition, I will accept being booed for that."

By October several newspapers were reporting that Maiga was again close to sealing a £7 million transfer to move to Tyneside, before L'Equipe revealed in December that he had failed a medical ahead of his proposed move amid concerns over a 'knee problem'. "I am disappointed at this turn of events," responded the player’s agent, Karim Aklil at the time. "Modibo is in perfect physical condition, which was confirmed by one of the leading experts in the field." Aklil was referring to a report of the player performed and submitted by Professor Jaeger, an independent medical practitioner in France. "I was surprised that Newcastle’s medical team employed a very shallow observation before reaching a conclusion. I’m quite convinced that the future will prove us right. Modibo is one of the best strikers in the French Ligue 1," he added.

Maiga says the failed medical was due to lingering thigh injury he had picked up earlier in the Ligue 1 campaign and which he had been dragging around for several weeks. He points to the presence of Demba Ba in the Newcastle squad a year after he was turned down by Stoke for a similar reason, and argues Alan Pardew may live to regret the decision to pull the plug on a deal that had been in place for months. "I am mentally fine, I wanted that move to Newcastle badly," he says. "However, it did not happen as they said my knee has a problem. There is a player at Newcastle now, he was told at a Premier League medical that he had a knee problem, he then went to another and started scoring goals before his move to Newcastle. Me... I feel better than anything."

By February Maiga had time enough to revisit those words, sweating in a Libreville hospital bed having contracted malaria while representing Mali at the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations. His absence had originally been attributed to a mystery ankle injury, partly at the behest of the player himself who had neglected to take the preventative measures as prescribed by his club doctors prior to the tournament. Fevered and tired, he would miss the 1-0 semi defeat against Côte d'Ivoire, with manager Alain Giresse lamenting he had no resource to compensate for losing Maiga's speed and trickery. When Maiga eventually returned to France, severely weakened and incapacitated for several more weeks, he was in no position to help his team-mates by now embroiled in a desperate relegation struggle.

forever west ham

Rumour Mill: A return on the cards?

West Ham have so far been linked with an endless list of players since the transfer window re-opened on August 1st with Juventus wingers Eljero Elia and Milos Krasic, as well as Wolverhampton Wanderers pair Matt Jarvis and Michael Kightly, all being linked. Do you see the pattern? So it brings me no surprise to mention another name in the same position, Matthew Etherington.

For years now we have been crying out for a natural left sided midfielder worthy of wearing the famous claret and blue, someone who is capable of delivering accurate crosses for the likes of Carlton Cole. The truth is we haven’t had that sort of quality since the Etherington days. However, last season Matty Taylor performed very well and he was a revelation at times, but could soon find his place at risk with rumours of the once admired wing wizard eared for a return to Upton Park.

Etherington is currently plying his trade for Premiership rivals Stoke City and is supposedly a target for the “Hammers” who he played for between 2003 and 2009 before being sold, due to off the field incidences with gambling habits.

At the age of 30 would the once “Hammer of the year” be a good option to go for? In terms of Premiership experience and consistency, yes. But how long is he going to be capable of keeping it up? The more suitable option may be to attempt to sign him on loan for just the first season back in the big time and then maybe go for a younger winger with something to prove such as the highly

admired Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace, whom most fans at the club would love to see pacing the wings

His age does appear to be catching up with him however, due to a slightly inconsistent season last year, in comparison to his “player of the year” performances in the 2009/10 season for Stoke. He does still have bundles of ability with a ball and his delivery is very accurate, which is why Stoke have benefited from his left foot for the past 3 years. Something Stoke don’t have which we do, is Big Sam, he is known for getting the best out of ageing players and we would surely welcome the attempt to bring back the form Etherington once showed in his debut season as a Hammer.

With West Ham looking to transform their line up with already new additions such as Mohamed Diame, Jussi Jaaskelainen, George McCartney and the inclusion of Ravel Morrison, new additions are immanent. With the reported rumours we are looking to sign Liverpool’s number 9; Andy Carroll on a season long loan also floating around the tabloids at the moment, the potential move for Etherington could be a plan in the making to provide the dominating aerial ability of Mr Carroll with crosses strikers could only dream for.

Written by James Reynolds

claret and blue in my blood

In the footsteps of Ba?

Yesterday, as we all know, West Ham confirmed the capture of 24 year old Mali international left-footed striker, Modibo Maiga from French League 1 side FC Sochaux-Montbeliard for about 5 million pounds. No, I hadn't heard of them either, but I had heard of Maiga. Maiga had ostensibly failed a medical with Pardew's Magpies last year after the two clubs had agreed a fee of approximately 7 million pounds. Pardew went on to sign quite a few African and French players last season, with most of them proving to be very astute signings, including as we remember, Demba Ba from us.

Maiga is a natural goal scorer with good technical ability and a determined, if not stubborn, side to him. When on his game, he can bully defenders at will, and with the third highest conversion percentage and second highest shot accuracy in Ligue 1 last season, he is a handfull. Maiga fell out of favour with the French side's fans last season after refusing to play for them for a while prior to the Sochaux board's refusal to allow him to leave for Newcastle. Sky sports, quoting L'Equipe, reported that a knee problem was the reason for him failing the examination but his agent, Karim Aklil, insists he is fully fit saying

"I am disappointed by the turn of events. Modibo is in perfect physical condition and this was confirmed by specialists. "I am surprised by what has happened since his medical and the diagnosis was established by doctors authorised by the club. I was surprised that Newcastle’s medical team employed a very shallow observation before reaching a conclusion." However, Maiga says the failed medical was due to lingering thigh injury he had picked up earlier in the Ligue 1 campaign and which he had been hampering him for weeks. Maiga was not happy about Pardew's rejection of him, citing Demba Ba's progress at West Ham and subsequent move to Newcastle. He certainly is a passionate and confident young man in the same way DiCanio was. He is prone to outbursts and tantrums according to the French media and some players close to him. Let's hope Sam sets him straight, as it is thought Pardew had second thoughts about the player's temperament.

This could be a very good signing for West Ham, but with some provisos. I don't believe that Mr Gold and Sullivan will have made the same mistake that they made with Demba Ba, allowing him an escape clause; however, that may not stop the young Malian striker from acting up if a "bigger" club comes sniffing; Maiga is known to be extremely ambitious. Of course, if a bigger club does come sniffing it means two things: he's done well for us, and we'll make a profit. Let's hope Maiga behaves himself and plays like he can; if he does, the fans will lionize him. Maiga says that since moving to France, and after playing in the atmospheric stadiums of Morocco, he has missed the passion and raucous fans that the north African country is renowned for. Let's hope the Boleyn re-acquaints him with an "atmospheric" stadium...

All in all, this could be a good bit of business for West Ham, but let's hope he puts in a few successful years with us first, having signed a four year contract. I'm betting he starts against Newcastle!

Paul

Sir Alex Ferguson has told friends that Manchester United will beat City and Juventus in the race to sign Arsenal captain Robin van Persie in a £20m deal.

Daily Mirror

Andre Villas-Boas has told Luka Modric, who has been linked with Real Madrid and Manchester United, he will not be leaving Tottenham until Spurs' £35m valuation is met.

Daily Mirror

Chelsea have reopened talks with Marseille over Spanish right back Cesar Azpilicueta, 22, who would cost £7m.

Daily Mail

Borussia Dortmund's Polish striker Robert Lewandowski, 23, has opened the door on a move to Manchester United by revealing he wants to play in the Premier League.

talkSPORT

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll wants his future resolved in the next week. The England international, 23, has been linked with Newcastle, Fulham and Aston Villa.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal and Liverpool are both monitoring Barcelona forward Ibrahim Afellay after the Dutchman, 26, was told he would only have a peripheral role under new manager Tito Vilanova.

Full story: talkSPORT
Ibrahim Afellay

Could Afellay be on his way to the Premier League?

Fulham have opened talks with French side Evian to sign Ivory Coast striker Yannick Sagbo, 24, who would cost around £3.5m. Manager Martin Jol has also considered Huddersfield's Jordan Rhodes and Juventus veteran Vincenzo Iaquinta, 32.

Daily Mail

Fulham are set to move for Nigel Reo-Coker, 28, who is a free agent after leaving Bolton following their relegation.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal have been told to increase their offer for French prospect M'Baye Niang, 17, after having a bid rejected by Caen.

talkSPORT

Newcastle have fallen behind Inter Milan and Napoli in the race for Lyon's France international defender Aly Cissokho, 24.

talkSPORT

Leeds are set to sign striker Luke Varney, 29, from Portsmouth but will pay the £300,000 fee to Derby - who are still owed from Varney's move to Fratton Park last summer.

Daily Mirror

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is ready to open contract talks with England winger Theo Walcott, whose current deal expires next summer.

Metro

Gary Neville says Team GB coach Stuart Pearce was right not to select his friend David Beckham for the Olympics.
Gary Neville and David Beckham

Neville backs Pearce over Beckham.

Daily Mirror

Blackburn have taken Freiburg's Mali international striker Garra Dembele, 26, on trial.

Lancashire Telegraph

Former Chelsea defender Alex believes Andre Villas-Boas should have been given more time at Stamford Bridge - despite being dumped by the Portuguese.

Full story: Daily Mirror

Liverpool's players are expected to win the ball back within seven seconds of losing possession and are given thorough details of the passing options they must offer every team-mate, wherever he is on the pitch, under new manager Brendan Rodgers.

STALE SOLBAKKEN has introduced a Twitter crackdown at Wolves.

Striker Leigh Griffiths, 21, was axed from the club’s trip to Ireland after using the hashtag #cantbebothered on the first day of training.

Boss Solbakken held a team meeting to warn them of the dangers of social media.

NEWCASTLE have tabled a £3.5million bid with FC Twente for their Brazil-born defender Douglas.

DERBY have followed up a £500,000 swoop for Leeds left-back Aidy White with a £1m bid for Coventry’s Richard Keogh.

The Rams were in talks with defender Keogh, 25, last night.

BLACKBURN have launched an 11th-hour bid to hijack a £650,000 offer by Ipswich for Watford keeper Scott Loach.

ABDOULAYE FAYE is poised to become Steve Bruce’s fourth summer signing at Hull.

Boss Bruce said: “We have been speaking and hope to seal a deal in the next 24 hours.”

LEEDS chief Neil Warnock is set to snap up Rodolph Austin for £500,000 — months after being told the Jamaican midfielder would cost £2m.

Warnock has been tracking Austin since midway through last season when the former QPR chief wanted to take him to Loftus Road from Norwegian club SK Brann.

good luck to ABDOULAYE FAYE :thup:

UtJ's replacement BotD (sans naughty bits): http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivat ... 120052.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
El Hierro

Re: thursday's news 19th july includes west ham

Post by El Hierro »

Cheers CH
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Ta Sir CH.
hemelite

Post by hemelite »

Cheers CH :thup:
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Cheers CH, as always.

Good luck to Abdoulla Faye - he did well last season.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

That bit about little sam sums up his bad treatment.. has an injury and then cant get back in.. and is going to be sold!

but nevermind IF we got 1.5 mil i would be happy because thats least not a complete waste.. id prefer 3 mil ofc to make a profit but im not deluded. we wont get tht
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

mumbles87 wrote:That bit about little sam sums up his bad treatment.. has an injury and then cant get back in.. and is going to be sold!
Cheers CH!

It frustrates me the way Big Sam has handled Sam Baldock, no it annoys me! instead of court cases Sam wants to concentrate on the players, especially young ones which I wonder if he can deal with? every tweet to Mr Gold who always usually replies has been ignored on this subject.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Cheers CH
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Cheers CH :thup:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

jaybs wrote:
It frustrates me the way Big Sam has handled Sam Baldock, no it annoys me! instead of court cases Sam wants to concentrate on the players, especially young ones which I wonder if he can deal with? every tweet to Mr Gold who always usually replies has been ignored on this subject.
I tweeted him wen fans where moaning in jan about lack of strikers and I said baldock is quality and will be back soon. He agreed etc

So obviously changed his tune aha
Hammer_Up_North

Post by Hammer_Up_North »

Would be gutted if we sold Baldock for 1.5mil to be honest. I can see the whole Diamanti scenario again, we sell for low figure, a year or 2 down line the kid is playing top flight football doing really well & making the news with his on pitch performance.

I think loan him for a season & see how he gets on
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Oit!!

Where's the tits?
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Considering our manager sees Baldock everyday in training he has infinitely more grounds to judge him then anyone on here.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Cheers CH.

And RARS, they're on your mum.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Kitt the car wrote:Cheers CH.

And RARS, they're on your mum.
What, they're not on yours? :shock:
Chester Hammer

Post by Chester Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Oit!!

Where's the tits?

This
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Oit!!

Where's the tits?
A couple of posts up doing their usual Sam bashing routine.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Your on fire today Dyers :lol:
Mr P
Location: On the outside of a rather cheeky bottle of Viognier...

Post by Mr P »

"I have had enough of being booed by supporters, but anyway it does not stop me scoring goals for the club and making them happy," added Maiga in response.

You might have come to the wrong place then mate
Kent-Hammer15

Post by Kent-Hammer15 »

Cheers CH

Good luck to Faye as well, got a lot of respect for the lad!