West Ham Utd 1-1 Sunderland (22/09/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

West Ham Utd 1-1 Sunderland (22/09/12)

Post by -DL- »

If anyone has an issue with the stats, take it up here: http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matc ... 2-2013/epl

:)

More to follow...
baritalia

Re: West Ham United v Sunderland: Match Thread

Post by baritalia »

Jussi
Demel Collins Reid McCartney
Noble Diame
Nolan
Vaz Te Carroll Jarvis

Vaz Te was poor yesterday. You might remember he was pretty quiet in some games after he signed for us but absolutely breathtaking in the next one. That's the reason I'd give him another shot, especially as his marker will be O'Shea who will have a hard time coping with Ricky's skills. Give Ricky 45 mins and if it's not his day, Benayoun proved many times he can be a super sub while playing for Arsenal last year.

It would be major major asset if Carroll starts. We bloody missed his knock downs and then quick shot on the target by Nolan/Taylor/Diame. Also with Vaz Te/Benayoun/Jarvis providing crosses that's another danger for Sunderland.

Back 4 will need to show best display of the season if we want to keep clean sheet. Fletcher is in fine form, Saha will be eager to prove he still has it and Johnson will be back from injury.

Noble has learnt to tackle very well but I have this feeling now he knows the stuff he's just waiting to tackle someone. Example: stupid, stupid foul on Snodgrass deep in our own half of the pitch.

With Boleyn set for a sell-out..... 1-0.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Need another Fulhamesque performance for this one.

I'd like to see us keep things the same but bring Jarvis in for Taylor. I see no reason to drop any of the back 4 although there were a few scary moments against Norwich this is the back 4 that has gone the last two games and got clean sheets in both of them.
Jarvis needs game time to get himself settled within the team and as soon as he does this I think he'll be fine and starting producing the goods, he can be a really important player for us as was shown yesterday when a decent final ball is needed in the final third of the pitch this is our man that will do this for us.
Our CB's will have to try and keep Steven Fletcher quiet, he is such a dangerous player and is a lethal finisher and he got a goal yesterday against the scousers. Hopefully Adam Johnson is not going to be fit for them, if he is then these two that will be the men to watch and the two players we have to keep quiet and try to shut them out of the game.
They will bring a work ethic and efficiency that will match ours so we have to be stronger and work very hard and most importantly we need to improve the final ball and quality of finishing and quality in the final third as a general as we was lacking in this area yesterday, it was good to see us getting into some good positions but there wasn't much end product.

-------------------Jussi
Demel----Collins----Reid----O'brien
--------------Diame--Noble
-------------------Nolan
Jarvis------------Cole---------Vaz Te

Subs: Henderson, Tomkins, McCartney, Diarra, Yossi, Taylor, Maiga
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Another month before Carroll's back isn't it?

I think Tomkins deserves to be ahead of Collins in the pecking order. Nothing against Collins particularly, I just think Tomkins was our best centre back last season and I think he can absolutely make the step up.

Other than that, I'd just bring Jarvis in for either Taylor or Vaz Te and leave it how it is.
ultimatehammers

Post by ultimatehammers »

O'Brien's got to move over and challenge Demel for the right back position, he gets caught out at left back, lucky so far not to be punished. McCartney to come in at left back and O'Brien right back for me. Jarvis will come in probably for Taylor.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I can see Vaz being very much a 'home player' this season and just used as an impact sub away with Yossi starting.

The back four will only change if McCartney is fully fit but he will no doubt be aimed at the League Cup as opposed to Sunderland. Two clean sheets in a row make it hard to drop any of the back four (in spite of my comments about JO'B in a number of threads).

Diame and Noble are forming a solid partnership in front of the back four and will both start behind Nolan.

Vaz Te will prob start, as explained above I think he will be better at home and he was quality against Fulham to be fair. Jarvis will no doubt be pushing for a start ahead of Taylor and maybe did enough yesterday to get one.

Can't see Carroll being risked from the start even if he is fit enough to be considered, just in case the same thing happens again so it will no doubt be Cole up top.

Yossi is a great option to have on the bench for the last 15-20 as this will be another tight game just like the Norwich and Villa games were.

1-0 down to a Fletcher goal but a 1-1 draw thanks to a Noble pen...
Last edited by sutts07 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Sam has just confirmed that carroll is not likely to be back before the international break on october 6th so give maiga a go from the start
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

nickkarkie wrote:Sam has just confirmed that carroll is not likely to be back...
Were these his exact words?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

nickkarkie wrote:Sam has just confirmed that carroll is not likely to be back...
Up the Junction wrote: Were these his exact words?
Boss, Nicks called it right .

Sam has said he is unlikely to be back before the next international break .
TurnbullHammer

Post by TurnbullHammer »

I think Maiga might get a crack for this one. Cole, as much as I love him, didn't do much against Norwich.

I too want to see RVT start, he is a live wire and could be the difference. Hopefully Big Sam will give him a bit of self belief and back him.

Collins scared the **** out of me against Norwich. He kept backing off their attackers, giving them acres of space around the 18 yard box. His mistake against Swansea gave us a mountain to climb and his challenge against Norwich could of done the same. He's still decent enough at this level though, totally committed and wins a lot in the air, it's just we have Tomkins on the bench who hasn't had much of a look in.

It's hard to guess what our team will be, the strength in depth we have (barring our fullbacks) is ridiculously good compared to previous years. :thup:
nickkarkie
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

His exact words:

The next international break is on october 6th, he will be very lucky to be back before then.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I see a bad moon rising.

I'd be happy with a point and a decent all round display as things stand.

Our delivery yesterday was largely appalling. Someone has to pay the price to accommodate Jarvis.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Part closures on the District and Hammersmith and City . Plaistow to Barking shut :thdn:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

This is going to be a tough game, Sunderland have spent some money have O'Neil as manager, a goal scorer in Fletcher, can see a 2-2 draw.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Jon wrote:Part closures on the District and Hammersmith and City . Plaistow to Barking shut :thdn:
Isn't that before quarter past 7 just checked it and it reckons I can get to Upton Park at midday.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Well spotted! Thanks.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

bubbles1966 wrote:I see a bad moon rising.
Don't go around tonight
It's bound to take your life
There's a bad moon on the rise

I might give it a miss and pop down Lakeside then.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:I might give it a miss and pop down Lakeside then.
That would be unFortunate son :wink:
theflafson

Post by theflafson »

Yossi becomes better the more he plays, if you bring him for 10-20 minutes he will give you nothing. He started to provide for Arsenal only after they let him start more than half their games towards the end of the season. Not quite sure what Sam was hoping to get out of him when he brought him in for 5 minutes but even then he proved he can be an asset.
To be fair though, i don't know who suppose to give way for him to play, he's not a typical winger that runs the line and provides crosses, he's more of a type that goes to the middle, helps the team run the ball towards the box and then breaks away and waits to slip the ball inside the net. Hes probably closest to Nolan where it comes to style.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

This will be a hard game, if we let Sunderland have the chances Norwich did, they will score.
We will need to score 1 or 2 otherwise I can't see this ending well.
--------------Jussi-------------
Demel--Reid--Collins-JOB
------Diame------Noble------
Vaz Te-----Nolan-----Jarvis
--------------Maiga------------
Subs: Henderson, Linda, Tomkins, Diarra, Collinson, Yossi, Cole